Take a moment to remember your roots

Take a moment to remember your roots.

Reflect on things that were, to us, new and hip at the time.

Pics related should jumpstart your memory. I've lost all the super old stuff (pre-2009), but you should be able to do he rest.

Other urls found in this thread:

zombo.com/
venturebeat.com/2011/03/29/poole-4chan-canvas-reddit/
xenu-directory.net/critics/henson1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Usenet groups?

zombo.com/

You are wasting your time user. Everyone here is from reddit or tumblr, there is almost no one from pre 2009 halfchan here. Everyone is underage or just a emoticon tbh fam XDXD faggot.

well you sure know how to bum a guy out

Hello, I'm the cancer that killed Usenet aka AOL.

Nice to meet you

It's better if you accept it now my friend. Unfortunately everywhere else is just as bad if not worse, everyone here is intolerable but you are stuck here.

let's go deeper

ouch

I thought 8ch was going to be different but there is clearly people focusing on destroying all places where independent thinking could thrive, i cannot fathom the idea that people would be cancerous faggots just by being born past a certain year.

I long for the old days, or the sweet release of death

You should have seen what they did to /r9k/.

Moot took that robot down and normalfags FLOODED IT. No mercy. Scorched earth policy

what a waste

Guys
we have
FOAAAAM! \^w^/

those girls were hot though, no lie.

This will always be the only true moot to me.

yeah be he got eaten by a shark so what can you do

no they weren't ya weirdo

You can't tell me you wouldn't at least kiss them

I may post some ancienternet stuff when I get home from work. I come from the oldternet, before the web, but sadly well after the eighties nets, as I was too poor for anything but an Atari VCS and an NES at the time.

i miss /f/

Honestly it's still good, because all you need to do is post classics. It's very comfy to browse on fridays. I always used to call it the /f/riday board.

someone end my suffering

2004 halfchan here. Came over from YTMND
Though, even I barely come here, anymore. Not much point, when everything is exploding here.
The fact it's an election year in the US doesn't help, since it means more Holla Forums idiots, which means just more Holla Forums idiots infecting other boards.

maybe i'd have a lights off bang or something but no kissin'

i only wanna kiss girls i like romantically and that's something that's long gone

jesus christ

>swf kinda work

9 years of life wasted on this side on the internet.
I don't regret shit

Oh god. I remember there's something horrible associated with him, but it's been too long.

I'm not going to look it up either.

It took me a minute to even figure out why you posted it.

I admit I only came to 4chan in 2008. So I only saw the last of it. I was always under the impression that you guys liked Holla Forums

2007fag here

what's up with tito again?

Not enough; not nearly enough.

Ah foam adventure.

And they're on here using their phones and tablets to browse. Now with Windows 8 & 10 they get to have the smartphone and tablet experience on their PCs.

Anything worth doing is hopelessly difficult for them unless it's making a funny meme image with meme-generator.com or reposting something from KYM. Forget video editing or converting to webm, image manipulation and making a .gif, digital drawing or making comics, setting up a simple website, uploading a file or downloading a torrent, hosting a game server or streaming a movie, creating a bitcoin wallet, composing and creating music, 3d modelling and animation, making their own simple games, trying out Linux or BSD, emulating ancient consoles from before they were born, exploring usenet and telneting into BBS

That's the most disappointing thing about all this, anyone with a decade old computer you can find in the trash and internet access that's incredibly easy to steal could be doing these things with ease. Instead they sit back and passively consume on a touchscreen device designed with retards in mind. Things were different back in the early days, you had a lot more passionate youth actually creating things on things on their own. 99% of it was garbage but at least they put in the effort.

If Christian Weston Chandler has created more art, made more videos and posted more pictures to the internet than you then you're a coward and part of the problem. Don't blame it on slothfulness.

moot deleted /new/ and a while later after he realized his mistake he created Holla Forums

I didn't even open Holla Forums until the 2012 election, but I've been hooked ever since.

Again, I don't really remember. Something awful though, I think it was some kind of fetish fanfic comic thing.

I'm sure the answer is waiting for me on ED, but I'm not going to bother. Some memes are better left forgotten.

this hit me hard

i'm glad Holla Forums exists because i live in america and people have their right to talk about their breed of politics without being put down for not sucking liberal cock

but that doesn't mean i want to hear their shit on Holla Forums. even when i'm on their side of the argument they present it int he most juvenile and petty ways that it's no wonder they have to hang out here because anywhere else would ban them for being fuckin' annoying

Why would people like the Chicken Little board?
Especially these days, where they claim there's something "happening" or that it's going to be the "day of the rope" every day.
There's a difference between the kinda baseline racism that most people on the Chans have, and the complete Bible-belt retardation that so many Holla Forums people have. They really have /x/ or /x] levels of paranoia and delusion. And I'd know, I spent a lotta time on /x/, before it became Holla Forums 2.0 back in like late 2007, early 2008

VIDEO GAMES.

That's not referring to the website, just to be clear.

I still remember when cat macros were ours.

"As the ancient Hawaiians used to say, 'Time for a dicking'"

That is the reason there is this much cancer, not only you run jokes..ahem. memes, to the ground, but also flood the internet of shitty stuff.

You'd only contribute to the cancer that way.

i remember when macros were still called fucking macros and not labeling any picture on the internet a meme

nowadays a tweet is considered a meme, yeah not even the picture anymore

I remember when /x/ got trashed and it was terrible. Holla Forums was relentless. I can't even remember what triggered them to do it

Yep. There it is.

It's all coming back to me.

Remember when we used EPIC WIN unironically?

i always thought macros were specifically normal pictures with stupid text shopped over them

also, thomas jefferson

also "epic fail" which of course now hearing anything like that just makes me cringe

i miss the old wordfilter that turned "ftw" into "sucks" the most, no faster way to have to lurk more

maybe telling people to go back to fucking lurking is what i miss the most about those days

A Hawaiian dicking.
I never watched any Rocket Power, but I always associated it with the Hawaiian dicking, if ever people brought it up.

A tweet can involve a meme, since a meme is basically just a kinda in-joke I still always think of them as "fads" from YTMND

But I'm with ya. I hate when people call any image in the Advice Dog style or any image with Impact font on it a "meme".

/x/ was always kinda terrible, since there were people who took things way too seriously, or truly believed in magic, or summoning demons, or ghosts.
It was at its best with Creepypasta and just general ghost stories.
It's where I found my love of horror mangas.
And my love of Creepy Chan
It was amazing when she was on Next Top Model. I remember being one of the many to vote for her on their site.

I was actually a bit of a latecomer to 4chan - I found the site somewhere in early 2007/late 2006 thanks to /d/ so I missed the super-ancient stuff, although people reposted old shit all the time anyway.

Why are you holding on to the past?
Some things are better left behind, or they might just be resurrected to be raped for a while, then dumped in a shallow grave.

No one lurks anywhere, anymore.
Everyone wants to be able to join in some community and instantly be spouting their opinion.

It's just the way of the world, these days.

It's actually kind of amusing that if someone who was a frequent poster in 2007 went to jail for eight years and started posting today they'd be considered a cancerous redditor.

But we definitely need to bring LURK MOAR back.

Are people actually falling for the bait or are they just reverse trolling?

Any one else remember when duck a lorange would post just to say that he wanted to fuck someone's socks?

What are words that you can use to describe something that is older than ancient. One of them is on the tip of my tongue but I cant remember it

i guess everything is b8 now apparently.

The what?
Latin american dub had nothing funny in it

Yes, we know that pre-2009 is just newfags just trying to claim they're the new oldfags, like Classic Rock stations saying that the 90's or early-2000's are "Classic.

But the rest of us are just taking a nostalgia trip.
Get over yourself.

(dubs)
prehistoric
really really old

I don't need to name my old pictures to remember what they are.
Besides, if anything, that just would let newfags know what to call it, rather than people just knowing it.

Dude I know people who came to 4chan for the first time in 2012 that respected the lurk rule. It's late 2014 when things truly became no longer salvageable

The meme didn't come from the cartoon directly.

nah, I'm thinking of like more classy works. I know one of them starts with an "M" but I cant remember

sometimes it's good to remember the good and the bad

well lurking has just become a quick trip to knowyourmeme or whatever other stupid place archives all that info

a community can't really have their own memes anymore because everything just gets pushed around and rehosted too

places like reddit and imgur come to 4chan and Holla Forums to fucking harvest screencaps and show off how wacky we our to their idiot friends

I started halfchan in 2004.

I've been on chans ever since.

honestly, I find most of everyone around these days to be insipid pieces of shit. When on topic with video games you all can be pretty good but most everything and anything else you're all just a bunch of faggots.
Little kids and manbabies. Valuing some sort of "NEET culture" or something similar while simultaneously being overburdened with shame for how useless you all are.

Trying to keep things a "SEKRIT CLUB" while also lamenting, especially here, why nobody ever seems to be around and why the sites bleed users or only seem to get an influx of kids who want to say shit just to fit in.
Which leads to…
Constant self trolling and self raiding of your own fucking boards.
Constant bullshit double-think. Holla Forums is not a hive mind when its called out but it will certainly call you a shill or something similar when you want to discuss something that is not entirely an accepted Holla Forums video game or cultural view. That would be all well and good but then threads are "dubs"ed to death and otherwise just shitted up with anything else.

An inflated sense of self importance because you think companies come here to actually promote their games.
yeah, they're trolls you fucking retards.

Oh hey, and you know what I miss most about the old days? Boards usually stayed on topic. When you posted about a video game it was about the fucking video game. Wasn't injected with Holla Forums nonsense.

In short, you're all pieces of shit and every board is basically just a slightly more focused Holla Forums board.

But every other fucking "community" is a worse piece of shit anyway.

And a whole lot of that shit is in the past. Those times will never come back again so fuck it and fuck everything.

>mfw I was one of those people

Not to mention that the file name is a Unix timestamp.

The image you posted was uploaded to 4chan on Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:03:16.302 GMT.

yeah, that was always fun. Now they claim it's our fault for "posting on Holla Forumschan"

Oh wow.

good for you for not being an obnoxious faggot then

theres already a Holla Forums method to that

dont be retarded thats obviously grinman

he likes to grin

Looks like some things have changed for the best since 2004

I don't know what it was but honestly I didn't start posting until what felt like a whole year later. I took that lurk moar rule seriously.

Them being an exception doesn't change the rule.
People can still come over to Holla Forums and lurk, or go anywhere and lurk, but most of the time people tend to hop right in and try to contribute.

Contribution is always nice, but there are always some unspoken rules or ettiquete or way of carrying yourself.

Though the inverse can be true.
Someone can lurk for a long while, then when they "contribute" it's just meme-spouting and adding nothing of worth other than calling shit "bait" or people they disagree with "shills"/"cucks".

Sure, but there's still some info that some KYM or similar website doesn't have.
Like I was in the Habbo Hotel raids, with the original Pool's Closed stuff.
Stuff like expereincing actually playing that game, and stocking up on shitty Coke vending machines in my hotel room, are things you can't really talk about if all you saw was some KYM page.

Yeah, that's from my newer folders. I lost a big chunk when my hard-drive crapped out back in like 2005 or 6.

I'm about to

DIVE BOMB

you niggers

Take this!

Anyone remembers the daily gore threads intercalated with daily baww threads that made Holla Forums a confusing and wonderful place?

I miss them

You did that on purpose

There's always a certain low level of racism on anonymous boards simply because they're anonymous - and racism/hitler is the easiest way to make somebody lose their cool, as well as being the sort of opinion that people aren't allowed to have in everyday life. You can't just use NIGGERS as an expletive most of the time, so a lot of that comes out here.

It's still prevalent here today, but I think the causes are different. The first would be the crossover from Holla Forums - there's no denying that a bunch of people who left 4chan did it because of what happened in Holla Forums and stayed here. Another would be that those views are simply becoming more accepted in society, but that kind of talk is really off-topic. I don't begrudge the Holla Forums posters too much myself to be honest - I'm more annoyed at the people who start ranting and raving whenever somebody says "jews" in any context at all.

There were a bunch of ways to get the message across, and some of them were really creative.

moot knew where the internet was heading when he created canv.as

>4chan has around 4 million monthly visitors in the U.S. and 8 million globally. Most of them are tech-savvy and know their way around image-editing programs like Photoshop — much like the users that typically visit Reddit. The site has basically no rules, and that has become part of the appeal. Canv.as is trying to remove that technical barrier of needing rudimentary Photoshop skills that both Reddit and 4chan have by making it simple to edit images and “remix” them. Anyone can then vote on the images with “stickers” — signaling a positive or a negative vote.

venturebeat.com/2011/03/29/poole-4chan-canvas-reddit/

That's how things are run into the ground; when dilution of an existing concept is as simple as clicking a few buttons to add text to a preselected picture. No creativity or effort required to join in.

The people who are making macros today aren't using an image editing program, they aren't even typing the text on a real keyboard. And worst of all this is a skill being taught in college for online marketing on social media. Your average user has to go to school to learn how to do this.

Fuck moot and his cuck faggot ass going back on everything he said he believed in.

Yeah, one of the things that bugs me is all the Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, Imgur people that are like:

One of the things about making OC or anything for an image board is that it was never about YOU. It wasn't about watermarks see the Ebaum's World hate and it was never about your specific content.
Sure, there were obviously some artists whose style and name became known, but it was never their original intent. Like 3AngBlue
People that "signed" their images were usually laughed at.

Money and fame will do that to ya.
Bring back Snacks. He did things right.

Another thing I find really interesting is that the culture of 4chan back in 2007-2008 laid the groundwork for the broader online culture we have today. So much of what people consider funny or cool or popular came from anonymous imageboards, albeit with a big delay - and I think that process is going to continue. Pepe's already popping up with alarming frequency, and I doubt he'll be the last. If you care about politics, there have already been articles talking about how the GOP has been abandoned to the "alt-right", who have a set of political principles that could be taken straight out of Holla Forums.

4chan didn't make that much money. He was pissed that he wasn't Mark Zuckerberg.

He had to close down his other projects because he was broke, and sold 4chan because he was broke.

Now he works at fucking Google doing who knows what.

also probably cracked due to the fact every time some psycho underaged kid did something nuts he had a tie to Holla Forums and moot caught shit for it

all his other projects were fucking horseshit, 4chan was clearly a lucky break for him even though it was just a 2ch knockoff

Yeah, he wasn't ever swimming in money, but was making a name for himself. It was the fact he was TRYING to make money, that I meant.

And yeah, I remember when Canv.as came out and I knew there was really no going back. It was the real end-times.

And now there's the viral marketers and advertisers in most every main online community.

Pepe's already been eaten up and shit out, you're a bit late on that one

That's what I was implying.

Did we ever get 100% confirmation that he's dead? Or did he just leave us behind?

But people are STILL constantly using it on Instagram and Twitter. It's still "fresh" in some communities like 9gag, though people there most likely have no idea of it's roots.

Though, honestly, Pepe, even Happy Pepe, was always a shitty meme in my opinion.
The fact that it didn't die off back in like 2006 still bugs me.
When I saw it carried over to here, from the exodus, I kinda lost faith in things ever going well for Holla Forums.

i always wonder how the guy who made the comics pepe came from feels about this

It's just the natural life cycle user. You gotta let things go.

Not too sure.
But he has a pretty distinct style, so I feel like if he ever had some Tumblr with his new art, under a different name, people would recognize him and call him out.
So maybe he just got off the internet for good.

Pepemind.

heh

He really did start out differently though.

PIC UNRELATED

Some of the Dark Souls comics felt like an upgraded version of his work to me.

Also I think I have a YouTube video bookmarked somewhere that people thought was made by him.

great job.

all those old drawfags who start using tumblr to "just host" their art, inevitably starting drinking the koolaid or start denying the came from a chan because they're cowards

Well, a lot of people did kinda ape his style. Not to mention, his overall aestetic is kinda general, so any mostly-Black-and-White artist will look somewhat similar.
Especially in a somewhat closed system like Tumblr, where people only ever see other Tumblr drawers, and begin to copy their style.
Even if it's something somewhat small or subtle, like the cliche red Tumblr nose.

Well, if they're looking to be taken somewhat seriously, or make a name for themselves, I guess I can't quite blame them.
They could just be denying it to gain a bit more following or interest or commission work.
Not really sure many people, especially on Tumblr, would be widely accepted if they claimed they were from here, or were making a lotta anti-Tumblr/feminist/SJW art.

Don't worry; everything was shit before, too. It didn't turn bad, it was bad form the start. You just didn't know it before.

Didn't know what before?

Basically if you want to trace the "downfall" of the chans it is really in only a few key incidents.

This is the point where the trolling went from anonymous trolling of larger communities to attacking actual individuals. This brought chans (4chan really) into the spotlight of mainstream media and thus the world at large.

This bitch here did wayyy too much damage. I can't remember if she was before or after exploding yellow vans but I have a feeling it was after.

Final nail in the coffin here. Things went mainstream and "Anonymous" went from a little concept of an image board posting method to some full fledged "community" in and of itself and everything went to shit in turbo mode way after.

In and after these events there were floods of all sorts of other cancer, the biggest were teh camwhores which of course brought all the horny teenagers and waifufags to stick around.

Oh, and the post-facebook kiddies finally going on to "the shithole of the internet" and going way too fucking overboard about the whole anonymous thing.
I namefagged on 4chan Holla Forums for a while just to piss them off. They didn't know why an anonymous image board was the way it was and had grown up with their identity always being out there (facebook and youtube) and other such nonsense that would spring up as the years went by.

Basically, Anonymous image boards were, in part, ruined by their own users and especially by the erosion of the implicit anonymous status of the internet anyway.
Remember, there was a time where you had message boards and other communities but you were only known as a nickname/handle. You never really gave up your real name. People didn't know who you were.

Of course the internet changed away from that model. The change isn't hide your identity but push it out there so maybe you can be famous or get some attention you desperately crave (because your life is full of unremarkable bullshit).

why was there a "fight" with scientology anyway? by that time i had started my move from Holla Forums to Holla Forums and other hobby boards and lost track of their causes

The fight started because the scientologists decided to try and get shit censored off the net. Whatever else you could say about Holla Forums at the time, they fucking hated censorship - and plenty of them considered the church to be an abject evil (it is incredibly objectionable, to be fair, but only really draws in the stupid/rich-and-easily-blackmailed).

They've always been assholes towards the internet community, back in the late 90's they were responsible for the blue ribbon free speech campaign after spamming newsgroups and getting posters arrested for making jokes. One guy made a joke about a 'Tom Cruise' missile, another guy responded to him and was arrested for it:

xenu-directory.net/critics/henson1.html

Most chanology types back then had no idea about any of this history, most Anonymous members today probably don't even know their group was once opposed to Co$.

Taking down a Tom Cruise video wasn't what started any of it, they were setting a terrible legal precedent for the internet on copyright and free speech for almost a decade before hand. They were winning every case and seemed unstoppable. That's why most of the tech world supported chanology. If it killed 4chan it was a price worth paying.

well that's certainly a more noble cause than "for the lulz" but like it's been said, once more people got involved with being "anonymous" it all went to shit

They are even eating up more obscure memes like "to be continued". They have fucking facebook pages dedicated to that one meme and now roundabout is known as "that meme song". In a few years time (or even a few months), all our current memes or injokes are going to be eaten up by the masses and warped into somthing unrecogniseable.

yeah where the fuck did that come from, all of a sudden theres a million god damn VINES with the 'to be continued' bit and theres no god damn way jojo is popular on vine

that everything was shit

i reread my post and everything looks clear on my end; maybe your monitors dirty

No idea, the meme isnt even used right most of the time. Someone must have posted a jojo ending on facebook, then a "dank memer" got ahold of it and now its just another meme.

I know, I was just giving you a chance to clarify, and see if you were really just retarded.
I see I was right

But, anyway, "everything" being bad, or not, at least it was a manageable level of bad.
Bad back then was like shitty tripfags, or the occasional Gaia idiot that would stumble into the Chans.
It wasn't having memes or Chan culture leaking out into the real world to the point where commercials or bus stops have memes on them.

It's because of the anime.
No one would talk about JoJo's much beyond "Za Wardu" or "WRYYYYYYYYYYYYY". Most people never would read it and it was better when we didn't have to see that shitty anime/manga on everything

But, then the new anime came out, so people came out of the woodwork, talking about it.
People talked about it on here, or other niche forums, and some people from the niche sites would post it on bigger sites. People from there would then disseminate it to other sites, etc etc.

And like the game of Telephone that memes go through, the original meaning or use was lost, as it got more mainstream.

Joke's on you, I got this pic saved from the old days.

i didn't piss away my underage years on Holla Forums and namefagging on Holla Forums to get called a redditor

i found 4chan through gaia or something too it was terrible, but i don't think i'd trade it in, it was and even if i was a lame fuck back then, i would have been a worse one without 4chans influence

now we're fucking talking

I really do hate being part of such a cancerous generation. I look at my peers and see them unable to even edit images. They think its a kind of magic. They don't even know what anonymity is, they recognize the mask and think its some communist symbol. Why is Facebook the graveyard of all memes? Because no one on Facebook creates, they only repost. It's like hearing a song 6 times a day on the radio. Eventually you'll hate that song, even though something good must have made you like it at first.

you didn't choose when you were born, you can't blame yourself for that

if you aren't taking part in constant in-fighting and shit posting you aint cancer

I'd have blamed OnlyAfro myself.

thanks,

also I just realized I don't have a reaction folder for happy, but I do for sad. I think that says a lot

here's one on the house

One of the great things about these boards is the sheer amount of genuine passion you can find on them. There are tons of threads devoted to how much people enjoy things and how they want to make them better, and a whole lot of them can be pretty satisfying.

And yet you have those meme spouting retards spouting the "v hates everything" meme.

thanks satan

I tried out drawing and music production because of stuff on Holla Forums, and video making because of Holla Forums. I never even considered it on other sites

1996 fag here as well

Although I started browsing 4chan around november of 2011 if I recall correctly.

As an '89er, I can remember when you guys were underage b&

i'm '91, and its not like i forgot being underage

i was a terrible little shitposter namefag on old Holla Forums for way too god damn long

As long as you didn't make it obvious you tended to be just fine.

Being a nameposter is fucking unforgivable though.

So when will i be able to post trollface again?

Right now.

i discussed anime for like a week on early 4chan, came back in 2007 because i couldn't believe a bunch of faggots with shit taste could blow up a van

or +1000 internets to you, sir