How would you fix DarkRP?

So me and a few friends are trying to decide how we would make DarkRP good, as it seems like its more of a better-in-concept game then it is an actual good one. And considering the fact you guys tried starting up a server a few months ago, I wanted to know:

How would you fix DarkRP?
How would you actually make the game work?

I took part in that serb.
To me, the issue with DarkRP is that at it's core the only things of value are guns and money printers, and to a lesser degree, drugs. We got a dank drug mod on that serb but it only served to aid the other two endeavors.

When asking how to fix gmod you're basically asking how to cure cancer. I tried to fix trouble in terrorist town once, but in the end it's not worth it.

You need to go against the grain, make rules that basically force the playstyle you want, lax building restrictions so people can actually make cool shit, and have a real heavy hand when dealing with people fucking everything up. You probably also need a scripter to add cool shit to make things interesting.

The problem is that alienates 95% of the gmod player base, because all the decent people left when 17 year olds took over all the servers with 13 year old admins, and everyone who's left is probably expecting the same old shit. So it's going to take a long as fuck time to build a playerbase.

I tried to do something pretty crazy for TTT, basically the regulars you trusted into moderators and one fuckup = lost status, unless you where seriously doing work and messed up.

DarkRP is only good to mine salt

But how do you make those things worthwhile?
What can you do to add value to items in the game?

The entire point of dark RP in its current state is base wars.

You get a group of thugs together, you build a base, you raid another guys base, and you just hoard all the printers you can. Don't fall under the illusion that the printers themselves have anymore value to them than they're someone elses and that someone can't buy anymore until they destroy the ones you have.

rp_downtown_fiend3 was probably one of my favorite maps because it had so many secret passages and shit in it that you could make bases in.

One server I remember built on this heavily, by doing shit like making a thief class that could pick locks, and a hacker class to hack keypads. That meant you literally needed those 2 classes to do anything, meaning a co-op was needed to do raiding with.

The server went downhill hard when it decided to make thieves and hackers not able to kill people while raiding, unless you donated and got to be a super thief with both a hacker and lockpick and you could also kill people and you had a double jump. They also deleted a ton of fun stuff. Buttons, cameras, etc

The problem with DarkRP is the Garry's Mod community.

I'm a server manager of a serious clone wars Star Wars RP server, and I can tell you that 50% of my time on the server is spent stopping shitters from ruining other people's fun or being complained at by salty 12 year olds.

Fully functional market economy, with some form of cash sink if you try to buy big or build big. Reduction of reliance on shit like Money Printers to make it more efficient to not roleplay than to roleplay.
Increased emphasis and support for theft, ransoming, and muggings, to help reduce accidental fuckups of each. Increased interactions between law abiding citizens, police, and criminals.
Only able to access props within predefined "lots", which are expensive, or within your apartment's confines. Lots are allowed to build everything or portions of everything, apartments customize the inside. This cuts down quite a few problems with DarkRP. Naturally, Hobos are encouraged to interact with each-other. The more hobos join a posse, the more of the external areas they can access props in, and the larger the props they can access.
No donor locked content, hitman system reworked, etc. are a given.
Anyone can have guns as long as they don't get caught, guns aren't impossibly broken, the game uses fully randomized jobs, appearances, and names every time you die. Got to apply for desired position if you get caught out, and you have to wait at least 5 minutes to return to the old job as well as your old premises. Naturally, rdm/triggerhappy would be punished severely because of this, building a "cops arrest you, criminals kill you" dichotomy.
End result of all this is an actually fun DarkRP, with any luck. I think there've been attempts to do similar in Arma.

So would it be better to make items worth more economically and statically wise?

These all sound great

A good start would be to let rule-breaking be handled by the police jobs on the server.

It's very frustrating to stop playing the game every 5 minutes when an administrator pulls you aside because someone you mugged thinks you broke a rule.

One 1942rp server I used to play on seemed to have solved this problem using this strategy, and combined with anonymous moderation, the server ran pretty well; the gamemode itself is still just glorified basewars, though.

If you want serious RP do something like what said.

If you want base wars, I'd add something like someone can spend like 6 million sheckles to start an all out civil war for a half hour.

One thing that was fun, that players did a lot is pick a fight with the mayor.

Didn't mean to post

Anyways continued:

Another server:

One I started a long time ago

first rule of darkrp is hobos cant carry 2 handed weapons (or any)

nice failrp

It's supposed to be wacky and fun right?
I don't see why the NO FUN HARDCORE RP fags can't just go to a serious rp server.

i've played on servers where it's illegal to walk on the road even though they didn't have vehicles on the server. it makes for a fun time when u have to actually walk to crossings and cross the road. otherwise the cops chase u.

I've been trying my hand at playing Gmod recently and i find that a lot of having fun requires a fair bit of charisma and what another user mentioned earlier, lax building restrictions.

However, there are people as mentioned earlier that will partake only in the gang war aspect.

but if i want to go against the grain and be a shady businessman setting up a legitimate business of selling dusty books or something then it either works fantastically because people are bored and like to see new things or it goes to shit and i get told to fuck of or that I'm a retard or something.

The game requires imagination and pizzazz, gumption, all sorts of machismo and there aren't many with all of that or any of it.

There are also rules which make it hard to go against the grain, if i want to be a shady magician trying to swindle dollars from bystanders i cann't be a citizen, someone who looks the part but has no job because citizens cannot build in the street, but a hobo never looks normal or sometimes looks like a zombie and is the only character allowed to build in the streets.

so that block two characters perfect for being a magician when there should be no problem at all, really.

as a hobo i can't carry weapons, but i need someone for a gun so i can sell people getting shot for a thousand dollars. so i now need an assistant which complicates things because i need someone who fits the role and also wont fuck it up.

and then there's people who just go out of their way to distrup your character or be a nuisance.

easy
have no rules
done

Actually, make the printers more like boosters than can be upgraded more and more to provide side income on top of your normal pay

This wouldn't work because of voice chat, and because randomized jobs are anti-fun
I'd say make it so that it takes a few minutes to respawn, and then once time passes you respawn in a hospital

This kills a lot of features within DarkRP and cuts down on all the fun shit (fortresses, walls, ect)

Some things I would do:
Certain things are based on skills, which determine what abilities you have and are raised by your job type. Specifically, starting off with low gun damage and low gun control would discourage RDM and more encourage playing to get better. When you get killed, your stats drop and you loose your job. However, get things done correctly and you get major stat boosts

Also, if you get arrested, you have certain prohibitions when you get out. If you were arrested for murder, you can no longer bare weapons. If you were arrested for stealing, you have a temp ban on earning currency.

CP officers get money every time they make an arrest. This encourages officers to enforce laws. If the police become corrupt and arrest innocent people, the objective of overthrowing the CP comes into play.

Game detects when you have committed a murder, stole from someone, or various other crime.

Jobs have more importance. Medics provide healthcare and can cause dead people to respawn faster, cooks can decrease hunger, drug dealers give stat boosts, ect

More variety in classes

Make it so that props cost money and can be sold by either NPCs or players, and that cheap props are weak but strong props are expensive

and a better construction system

Printers remove reliance on other players for income.
Why steal when you can just print?
Why sell guns when you can just print?
Randomized jobs would not be permanent, banning voice chat is always the first step to making any "roleplay" setting not autismal
Your apartment would be your fortress, sure, but you wouldn't make the walls. Want a traditional autism DarkRP fort? Get rich, son. New cashsink and way to spend a day off, if it's fun enough.

Yeah, I think this is generally a good idea. Craftsman jobs associated with prop strength and some sort of Sapper job to replace muh propclimb would be fun.

Because the printers would be expensive as fuck and would only give you a fair amount when you actually have a sizeable income.
It would add incentive to robbing and create a goal for robbers and criminals, as well as CP officers.

Why not just make the jobs temporarily blocked then?

But it leads to , where you cannot build wooden stalls or places in the middle of the road. Hell, one of the best things I did in DarkRP was build a wall around a town sector and force people to do my bidding, only for them to revolt against the government and shut it down

And thats the thing with
as well

The problem with DarkRP is thats its an incoherent mess of rules and linearity.
Its not a serious kind of autism, its an autism where you can do whatever you want in that environment but still have it be uptight enough for it to be serious play

see

The problem with that though is that not all hobos have the same goals or ideas about what they want to do as a hobo, sometimes they just want the rule-less freedom of being a hobo but i find the fun of being a hobo is that you have zero salary, zero access to anything that could give you money which means you need to to use your wits and smarts to start some enterprise to earn cash where as other just use it as a scapegoat for killing.

I've used hobo as a way to traffic weapons because no one would suspect a sly dealing hobo to have grand schemes, i've talked my way to the top as a hobo and ruled a city as a hobo, hired thugs, bloods, mafia all to do my bidding, just with smarts, people management, i've had cops placed in holding cells in my office, but that only worked because of my character. it wasn't because of area ofr gang influence, it wasn't to do with money printers, and all of it was part of a bigger plan i had to capture the mayor and chief of police, and eventually reside in the police headquarters ruling over a city with not a dime in my pockets and not a weapon in my hand and i got halfway there and i've not seen anyone try anything since.

the thing i don't understand in this game is money. people sell guns and make gangs and sell drugs for money but money has no meaning when it's only used for buying the same things.

A rule i have in good is that i can't be bought with money as a hobo because I'm not a materialist i'll do things for money sometimes but only ever as leverage for other situations, i can make money as a hobo faster than anyone else by having character and people throw money at something entertaining and then i can use that money again, as leverage to have fun with the people, pretty much making me the puppet master.

But no one else that i've come across plays the game like this and everyone and everybody is concerned with being in a gang, raiding, rules and RDm's or being the cool hitman or something.

But having priced items and skills helps encourage teamplay just as much

Making it cost more to build on the street just discourages creativity

building at all has some regulations that i find are anti-creativity as it is.

things like prop climbing aren't allowed but where does prop climbing start and end

would this gladiator arena of mine be classed as prop climbing? i'd suggest not because it's a makeshift business,

another thing is people who set up one way see through walls that allow them to shoot you or see you well before you can react.

If you have illegal goods in the back room don't set up an impenetrable fortress, let that room be penetrable as fuck but it's up to you to keep it secure because that's your job and if you fail to do so then yeah, they get the shit you had, your fault you didn't hire security, that's what that class is for, securing shit, otherwise the security class is useless because you have a secure code for a number pad and a wall that lets you see through and shoot people so they can't touch you.

sorry pic related

on a side note, people fucked up the function of the arena with the ladders, you're supposed to be able to fall off.

there is no point in removing prop climbing anyway.

just shoot the idiot on the fucking roof if he causes trouble and he'll have to do it again to get up there.