3DS Homebrew Bunker: Gatewait Never Ever Edition

TL;DR: DOWNGRADING FROM 11.0 IS BROKEN
YES, UPDATING EMUNAND TO 11.0 IS SAFE
INSTALLATION GUIDE (PARTS 1-3 FOR EMUNAND, 4 AND 5 FOR A9LH SETUP)
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Get-Started
Memechunkhax2 is an exploit used to downgrade 3DS firmware. Most importantly, it can downgrade to 9.2, which is the ideal firmware that can be further exploited for access to CFW, and thus piracy and faster homebrew and emulators via kernel mode. This is possible on any firmware up to and including 10.7. Memchunkhax2 requires access to homebrew in order to run.
Memchunkhax2.1 is an exploit, much like it's predecessor, to downgrade 3DS firmware. This time, it works on 10.4-10.7, and is considerably more stable(?). As it is a new exploit that just popped out of nowhere, it may be untested and unstable for some systems and firmwares. Use this exploit at your own risk.
AFTER 11.0, DOWNGRADING IS BROKEN INDEFINITELY.
While 11.0 has only managed to patch MemChunkHax2.1 halfway, Nintendo has instated a minimum system app version list. This means that without a hardmod, it will take another exploit on the scale of 9.2 to be able to downgrade.
First, quit being such a massive faggot, and then find your firmware version below. Then see smealum.github.io/3ds/, unzip the starter kit to your SD card, and follow instructions to setup the Homebrew Launcher. Note that Tubehax is dead on all devices, all firmwares. Ignore it.
You'll want to update to 9.0-9.2, preferably 9.2. There are ways to update straight to 9.X with CFW, or you can find a game card that has a 9.0-9.2 update on-cart and use that. read here for more details. github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update
9.0-9.2:
9.3-9.8:
O3DS 9.9-10.3:
N3DS 9.9-10.1:
N3DS 10.2-10.3:
10.4:
10.5:
10.6:
10.7:
11.0:

Other urls found in this thread:

gbatemp.net/threads/what-is-a-legit-cia-and-other-noob-cia-questions-answered.386705/
gbatemp.net/threads/guide-the-emunand-save-data-mega-guide-gbatemp-doesnt-deserve.378491/
gbatemp.net/threads/release-inject-any-app-into-health-safety-o3ds-n3ds-cfw-only.402236/
pastebin.com/7JAD1x3U
my.mixtape.moe/ytjulq.7z
mega.nz/#!Zs8wFQqR!M1N3W5S6cZcTVAHslcx7w_rD7lnCqDMyPP8GBJrwe3U
pastebin.com/UdL5SN04
github.com/Reisyukaku/ReiNand/releases
github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases
github.com/astronautlevel2/StarUpdater/releases
astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/
python.org/ftp/python/2.7.10/python-2.7.10.msi
pastebin.com/j0SfeDUn
gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/
volafile.io/r/acH6c7
github.com/44670/BootNTR/releases
pastebin.com/U5ebFNfJ
my.mixtape.moe/vxcoit.zip
archive.is/vgbjp
gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-a9lh-downgrade-release-planned-on-may-22nd.426757
gbatemp.net/threads/poll-will-gateway-release-today.427621/
pongupdates.wordpress.com/flashcards-working-on-3ds/
github.com/Shadowtrance/BootNTR/releases
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax)
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Region-Changing
store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod560313
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)
gbatemp.net/threads/the-status-of-gateway-and-a9lh.427889/
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-4-(Getting-the-OTP)
gbatemp.net/threads/badge-arcade-region-ban-poll-022-2803.411028/
gbatemp.net/entry/a9lh-masterrace.11207/
github.com/alex34567/Agbsave9/releases/tag/v1.0.1)
github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes
gbatemp.net/threads/r4-stage2-twl-flashcart-launcher-and-perhaps-other-cards-soon™.416434/
gbatemp.net/threads/luma3ds-noob-proof-3ds-custom-firmware.411110/page-630#post-6383042
gbatemp.net/threads/release-ntr-cfw-3-2-with-experimental-real-time-save-feature.385142/page-117#post-6382253
ifixit.com/Device/Nintendo_3DS_XL_2015
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-3-(RedNAND)
github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Options-and-usage
github.com/mtheall/ftpd/commit/08f437e25e647481b6d994b3e547f0a41c06a4ad
gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-setting-up-9-0-9-2-n3ds-xl-for-cfw-including-emunand-coldboot-cia-installer.405589/
gbatemp.net/threads/linux-universal-inject-generator-doesnt-work.428315/
transfer.sh/n81tb/hs.app
www100.zippyshare.com/v/LRfoJJzH/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Luma3DS and ReiNAND are the two CFWs of choice, and support A9LH, as well as having more features: Region Free, Language Emulation, etc.
rxTools is now out of date and lacks support for newer features as well as no longer under active development. Not recommended. If you have been using it previously, it is advised to switch.
All CFWs support both O3DS and N3DS.
Furthermore, CakesFW is behind Luma and ReiNAND in updates, and the developer is on hiatus.
For additional features such as cheats, save states, screenshots, and screen capture(NEW 3DS ONLY), use your CFW of choice to launch NTR CFW.
For NTR to launch, you must download a Firmware.bin file from the A9LH guide, part 5, even if you're using emunand.
Do further, thorough research on your own. Ask smart questions here.
See: gbatemp.net/threads/what-is-a-legit-cia-and-other-noob-cia-questions-answered.386705/
See: gbatemp.net/threads/guide-the-emunand-save-data-mega-guide-gbatemp-doesnt-deserve.378491/
If it isn't showing on your home menu with CFW on, your earlier install of it on sysNAND didn't work. Inject it into the H&S app: gbatemp.net/threads/release-inject-any-app-into-health-safety-o3ds-n3ds-cfw-only.402236/
Arm9LoaderHax(A9LH) is a (relatively) new entrypoint for booting into emu and sysNAND. The advantages of A9LH include 100% boot rate, and execution before boot. If you install A9LH, you can get rid of emuNAND and load an updated sysNAND to install .cia.
The installation process does have a slight brick risk and requires a downgrade to 2.1.0 in order to dump OTP (One-Time Programmable console-specific information). A9LH does still support booting of emuNAND if need be, but the most popular option is to update sysNAND and use it.
A9LH protects from softbricking once installed, as it can load before the 3ds boots and flash a backup nand image.
3dsiso, 3dschaos, and if you're smart enough to research 3ds.titlekeys.com
3DS Downgrading & Setting up CFW Tutorials:
Installation (Follow up to step 3 for sysNAND + emuNAND, all the way for full A9LH Installation)
Thread Archives, 3DSISO Account, and Others: pastebin.com/7JAD1x3U
Basic Utilities Pack: my.mixtape.moe/ytjulq.7z Mirror: mega.nz/#!Zs8wFQqR!M1N3W5S6cZcTVAHslcx7w_rD7lnCqDMyPP8GBJrwe3U
A Bunch of 3DS .cia's: pastebin.com/UdL5SN04
ReiNand Download (Now supports O3DS AND N3DS): github.com/Reisyukaku/ReiNand/releases
Luma3DS (Formerly AuReiNAND) Download: github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases
Luma3DS updater CIA: github.com/astronautlevel2/StarUpdater/releases
Luma3ds Nightly Builds: astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/
Python 2.7: python.org/ftp/python/2.7.10/python-2.7.10.msi
Hardmods and Arm9LoaderHax FAQ: pastebin.com/j0SfeDUn
In-depth Arm9LoaderHax information: gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/
3d/scurv/ volafile: volafile.io/r/acH6c7
NTR CFW: github.com/44670/BootNTR/releases 3.4 is New 3DS only, 3.2 supports O3DS.
Current OP Pasta: pastebin.com/U5ebFNfJ
Last rxTools nightly (Only use if you have to): my.mixtape.moe/vxcoit.zip

Last Thread: archive.is/vgbjp

I have a physical Animal Crossing NL. Is there a way to start over on my cfw 3DS without losing the save? I assume I'd have to download a cia, but could I transfer my save to a PC and then swap them out if I wanted? Would I even need to with a digital copy, or would they have separate saves?

if you use JK's save manager, you can choose backup and make a copy, then reset the save with it. I think Animal Crossing uses space on the cart for saves, so they would be seperate as well if you want to go that route, but most cart games make save data on the sd card.

I'm pretty sure the save is on on-cart.

here, you can do Export Save and then Delete Save Data and you'll have a save backup on your SD in /jksv/Animal Crossing.

People still use Gateway?

Why the fuck would anybody use a more cumbersome method?

some people say the cheats are better than NTR, others like the .3ds support, but a lot are just trying to convince themself the money they spent isn't a waste. Pics related.

Oh God it's horrible

What, the clunkier file-type that takes up more space on an SD instead of an installed cia you can pick and play as if it were a totally legit game? Only use I can see for em is conversion to cia or if you plan on using Citra.

it's the
people.

To be fair, you can trim Card-1 games but you still have to fuck with headers, and Card-2 games like pokemon can't be trimmed because they save in the empty space instead of on the SD. I've heard it's because people don't like to take the back off of their n3dses too, but I can't really get behind it that much, FTPing files isn't that bad, neither is installing. I just copy it while I'm doing something else and then get it started in devmenu and close my 3ds.

I can get the taking off a N3DS's back, I hear it's a pain in the ass. Though I guess you could unscrew it and then just tape it down instead of having to get out a screwdriver every time, and like you mention it's no hassle at all if you've got a big microSD and know to use FTP and wireless tools like Socketpunch.

For more fun, visit the gbatemp threads

gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-a9lh-downgrade-release-planned-on-may-22nd.426757

gbatemp.net/threads/poll-will-gateway-release-today.427621/

I can taste how sour the grapes are

Why would you buy something before it works? I thought piratefags would at least be smart enough to avoid what is basically preordering a downgrade.

haaw

just get it digital, saves are seperate.
You'll be able to hotswap and shit.

A Smart piratefag is already running A9LH and not holding out for a vaporware promise from a bunch of Chinese people at Christmas time.

It's easier just to download JK's save manager and back it up, plus a save backup is only something like 3 MB.

animal crossing is like 300MB man, it'd be easier to just install the digital version so you get the ability to swap between the two saves without any hassle. Also JK's Save Manager fucks up with animal crossing every now and then. Animal Crossing handles saves weirdly.

Maybe so, I've never dealt with it, but Pokemon Y on cart always worked fine for me.

GBAtemp is garbage. 99% of the people there are redditfags

Stupid question.

Can you download and play DS games with a homebrewed 3DS?

No, however you can make it so old flashcarts work on your hacked 3ds.

Naw, you need a flashcard.
pongupdates.wordpress.com/flashcards-working-on-3ds/
Anything here will work on an a9lh+Luma 3DS.

Absolutely not. You can get some DSiware but you have to have a flash cart for DS games. A good flash cart is only about $20 (r4i gold rts) and a shittier flash cart is only about $10 (r4isdhc).

They're actually a lot worse than that in some cases, pics related. Also, friendly reminder these people are the people that regular halfchan.

speaking of luma3ds, non-a9lh user here, I tried switching from my old aureinand to luma, and online play wouldn't work until I switched back.
NTR worked and everything else seemed to work.

Luma has done some changes, and with the 11.0 version coming out it breaks friends on the latest stables. If you get an unstable one it'll work right

Aurora hasn't put out 5.5 in about 3 weeks now because she doesn't have her 3ds.

More. The only reason you should use gbatemp is for keeping up with 3ds shit, if you click the blog tab prepare to gas yourself.

So let me guess.

There's not going to be a good fix for this? No DS emulator or exploit?

It's pretty obvious from going on halfchan these days how infested it is with underage b&, the quality of discussion is so fucking bad that an entire board will be nothing but shitposts for topics instead of the occasional b& thread like it is here. Kids don't know how to discuss anything or have any attention beyond spamming memes and typing in all caps.

DS emulator never ever, exploit depends entirely on if Nintendo creates their own distribution method for them like with Virtual Console so we can inject roms into them.

There've been a couple DS games released on 3DS as Japan-only goodies but they were roms recompiled to work as DSiWare so they're worthless for it.

There's no good way around it because the 3ds doesn't use emulation, it uses TWL_FIRM to run DS games natively, so it reboots every time it launches a DS game and loads that, then reboots when one is closed and starts the 3ds menu back up. Right now, there's no way around it, but unless you live in a third-world country a flash cart isn't too hard to come by.

Yeah, it's pretty shit. The second picture here is the guy who got banned from the other image, so you can tell that he's a real outside-the-box edgy thinker for a 15 year old.

i switched from rxtools to reinand and now NTR stopped working giving me the "unknown FIRM, access-checks could not be patched" error

Try this build of NTR github.com/Shadowtrance/BootNTR/releases

if that doesn't work, then try out Luma, if you get a firmware.bin from here: github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax)

and put it in the luma folder it'll work like normal. You can try with Rei, but I don't think it has such functionality. The reason it works with rxTools is because rxTools doesn't do full updates, it has a lower Native_Firm.

I can confirm the firmware.bin from luma works with reinand.

rxtools guy here. I think I've finally got things back on track. I used TinyFormat on sysNAND, and things don't seem to be linked. The instructions say not to link NNID, but I don't even think I saw anything like that while setting up. Is it the nickname part? Because I entered a name without thinking which was probably what I used before, and my official copy of Four Swords was on the home menu as a gift. Though the folder I created in sysNAND isn't showing up in emuNAND, and I changed the theme in emuNAND, sysNAND is using the default white theme.

So I think it's safe to let emuNAND update the system and finally move onto part 4.

Shadowtrance build doesn't work, my 3ds is stuck at the ReiNand splash screen using the Luma's firmware.bin

NNID Linking is a nand thing, when you first clone your nand it has your nnid from the sysnand in the emunand. If you do a format it will take it off of one nand and then it'll only be on one, so unlinked.

Four swords is an AGB_Firm thing so it makes sense it would stay. If the themes and folders are different then yeah, you're good.

this could be part of why.

But yeah, you're good, keep going man.

why it wasn't working with the rx nand, I mean.

Regardless, glad to see it's back working again, sorry it was such a pain, but switching from 7.x to 9.x was more than I thought.

Did you update your emunand in rx before switching or with reinand? I don't know if the firmware.bin feature is implemented in reinand. Reinand is supposed to use 10.2/10.4 native firm, but I don't know if it's changed since 11.0 has come out.

Alright, great. Now onto the next part. Since my NAND shit is finally sorted it should be a smooth journey. I hope.

In any case, thanks to everyone who helped out.

i updated my emunand to 10.7 via rxtools before switching to reinand

No, you'll know 100% when you're signing up for a nintendo account. You need an email and stuff.

I'm glad everything is finally working right for you. Follow the guide exactly now, especially when it says to format emunand twice with tinyformat.

are you still on 10.7? If so, that build of NTR should work. Sometimes people have trouble with NTR's bootrate so it might be worth giving another shot.

glad to see it finally together user.

It hasn't. Rei still works with 11.0 with a ntr firm.bin
I'll actually post mine

I just noticed the quote had nothing to do with the response. Anyway I used a different nickname and the same nickname and DSi ware I used to have always showed up in my emunand regardless. It's because those are written to the nand itself or something.

Here's firms.7z if any of you cunts wanted it

Anybody here know what firmware Japanese New 3DS models are shipping out with recently? I've heard some of the older stock is 8.X and some of the newer stock is 9.2, but I haven't heard anything about 10.X stock but I imagine that any freshly produced stock might just put 11.0 on it because of the vulnerability of the 10.X firmwares. I want to get a Japanese New 3DS at some point in the coming weeks, install Luma3DS/AL9H on it and change it to a NA 3DS as much as possible. I'm waiting till after E3 though because they could announce that they're bringing over the regular sized N3DS here, but I doubt that will happen.

Also just in case I'd also like to know what firmwares any new European or Aussie N3DSes come out with.

Yeah, DSiware has it's own twl partition in NAND, it doesn't install to the SD Card.

Honestly I think you might be placebo'ing yourself. Does it not work without?

Yes. Without this firmware.bin NTR doesn't work in Aurei and rei.

The chances of you getting an 11.0 new 3ds are between very, very slim and none. 8.1J is sort of a curse, honestly. If you want a New 3DS that isn't XL, I'd say just watch the Animal Crossing ones on Ebay, and I got my AC N3DS on Jet.com because they had them for cheaper, but I think they've jacked up the price since then.

Additionally, if you get one with 10.x and it can't do browserhax you'll have to get a Japanese exploit game. Just hold off for now. The pokemon N3DS non-XL are expensive as fuck but the happy home designer ones are only maybe $30 more than getting a Japanese one, and you won't have to fuck with SecureInfo_A shit and have no eshop.

oh holy shit never mind I didn't realize they weren't selling them new on places anymore. I got mine for $166 and now they're fucking $300.

That's why I'm only looking at foreign models: a Japanese N3DS runs between $160 and $200 depending on where you look. Also I want the black model, and I don't want to get a white one and not like it or get one and be autistic enough to do a chassis change.

Actually that brings up a good question: are the New 3DSes matte like the DSi, semi-matte like the 3DS XL, or glossy like the 3DS? If they're glossy then I could deal with a white one since it hides smudges a bit better.

Usually when NTR failed to boot in RxTools it gave me the Unknown home menu error, i have rebooted my console 7 times now and it keeps giving me the unknown firm error.
tried firmware.bin and it just got stuck on the reinand splash screen

wait, are you o3ds?
Download the firms.7z I uploaded and use the o3ds one.

Also I forgot to ask: How would I not be able to use browserhax? Wasn't it available up to like 10.5 or so?

NTR rei-o3ds gets stuck at the splash screen too

I can't speak for the black one but my white one is sorta half-glossy, not full on but just a little.

gotcha. try this user's solution then

Reinand is a little off the map for me, I've only really dealt with some rx and some luma.

yeah it was available up to 10.5, but if you were to get one out-of-region on 10.6 or up you're fucked. I don't think there are models that come with that, still, but it would fucking suck. My AC Happy Home Designer N3DS came with 9.8, though.

Hm…
Have you tried the regular FIRMs?
I've never tried rei with o3ds, only rx.

I keep looking at white ones on Youtube and it sorta seems like they're kinda yellowed.

Which is why I'm here being Comrade Questions. I don't want to go through the process of spending money on a 3DS, waiting for shipping from Japan or Europe or whatever, only to find I got cucked in terms of firmware and then have to go through a return process.

tried the regular one too, same problem
also decided to launch rxtools and ntr again. it worked fine

does regular rei even work with o3ds?
I could've sword that's what aurei was for.

Mine looks pretty white, no tinge or anything.
If you do want to get an out of region 3ds you'd have to go through the region changing process for emunand, or A9LH sysnand. You don't get eShop after that though. 8.1.0j has some sort of weird issue, but as far as I know pretty much all Eur should be good, plus it can work in english out of the box.

github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Region-Changing

for region changing info, it's pretty weird.

Pretty strange. I would just say go for luma. Never dealt with rei + ntr, but as far as I know it should work.

does luma work with emunand or is it A9LH only?

I've seen guides on how to get eShop to change too, even though really the eShop is un-needed with individual game update cias and whatnot.

Luma works with emunand.

Eshop isn't really needed it's just an inconvenience. There's some Secureinfo_C stuff you can do, yeah, but I think you need a file from a 3ds never online for it to switch correctly (at least, I read that somewhere).

Late response, but oh well.

Unless I'm completely mistaken, ACNL uses both the cart and 3DS for saves. So if you swap 3DS without transferring stuff, you can't access your town. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

What do you mean by hotswap? Could I just download a digital copy and run it, and it will create a separate, second, save that won't interfere with the first?

yeah I'd still say just try using JK's Save Manager or SaveDataFiler or something. With JK's you can just do an export and then pick delete save data to set it back to original.

Why should I use Luma over rxTools if rxTools just works?

rxtools lacks FIRM0/FIRM1 protection so a future update can fuck your shit up, rxtools hasn't gotten an update in 5 or 6 months now, luma gets updated every day, luma has twl patching automatically, so all flash carts are unblocked. Also Luma has A9LH support.

And it has a neato updater .cia file.

get the latest one here

just copy the .dat file, the luma folder, and the 3ds folder, and if you want to use ntr get a firmware.bin from github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax) and put it in the folder.

Because it's antiquated and clunky.

Also this. There's no support, because there's no development. it's way more bloated than it needs to be, the last version doesn't even have the famous tools, which have been matched and outdone by decrypt9 and emunand9 at this point. It's just out of date in general.

Are you kidding? I live in Venezuela, the fuckhole of South 'Murrica where getting food is harder than a degree in engineering and basic services are a luxury, yet you find flashcarts everywhere. I'd say it's way easier here than in 'Murrica.

Don't even get me started with Mexico. It's even easier.

Sorry if this has been said already, but how do I go from RxTools 10.5 to Luma? Should I update my EMUNAND to 11.0? How difficult is the process?

I'm so fucking sorry, user

There was someone from another bean country in an earlier thread that was bitching about how he couldn't get a ds flash cart.

Getting one in America isn't very hard though, you have to order one online but it's not hard at all.

if your sysnand is on 9.2 just download the latest version of luma, copy the luma folder, 3ds folder, and luma3ds.dat and then delete your rxtools stuff. If your sysnand is on 4.5-7.xx or something it gets weirder.

Are you ok? Will you be ok?

You can buy them at a regular store here.

At least I have vidya, could be worse.

pretty dank. What kinds, Supercards and the likes or just shitty ones like DSTTs?

Ok sweet, thanks. What about if I use a bootmanager thing (I don't know what it's called, haven't used my 3DS in a while)

just add an entry in the boot.cfg for ctrbootmanager. It uses the same offset as all the other CFWs, so just rename rei's entry or something and make a path to the luma3ds.dat.

I'm surviving just fine for now. I'll get out of here whenever that's possible. Canada should let me in if I work hard enough.

Depends on where you are. In my city, you can get only shitty DSTTs and R4 knockoffs. If you go south however, you can get nicer cards like Acekard 2i. For Supercard you gotta go to the capital and pay a prime and that's if you can find it, either that or buy it online for a testicle (yes it's still possible). I got my Gateway from Canada myself but some people have found a few here for sale.

Neat stuff. Up here it's hard to find more than 3, you get your shitty DSTT clone, one good wood card, and then the Supercard, and all the 3ds cards are pretty much always available.

Sucks to have bought a gateway though now that CFW is so readily available, but I guess it works out if you bought it more towards 2013 with 4.5 or whatever when it was all palantine.

I bought it when it was the only choice for N3ds. I'm quite happy with it because I enjoy hacking and tinkering with addresses for interesting results. Not to mention the ease of just copying and pasting my roms and saves.

The N3ds backplate is flimsier than a chinese android phone, and that is one thing you can't find here at all. I'd rather not unscrew it every time. I know there's FTP but the connection here isn't reliable enough for that either.

Nintendo has to have done this on purpose. The O3DS's sideloader port was just too easy to access.

they're capitalizing on pirates.
store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod560313

Alright. So I've got an original 3DS from 2011, haven't used it in months, currently on firmware 10.3.0-28U, I have Super Smash Bros. 3DS, web browser seems to work but I haven't turned on the WLAN for safety reasons, what's the easiest way to go about hacking this bastard?

Downgrade, AL9H and Luma3DS

the easiest would be downgrade, menuhax luma3ds or rxtools.

then do

Thanks. Any potential consequences or things to keep in mind before I proceed?

Also will I HAVE to format my SD Card? Any way I can just back it all up beforehand?

See They're definitely squeezing shekels out of people.

I thought Luma3DS was supposed to bypass this update bullshit? Nice cfw nerds.

read the OP you stupid fuck

Shut up, nerd

I know I wouldn't want to use Gateway. They're more than happy to brick your system if they feel like it.

Fucking hell, that took forever, and, because of my yearish old emuNAND based on my 7.X sysNAND, was a huge pain in the ass. But everything is good now. Thanks again to everyone who helped me out.

So how to system updates work now? I'm on 11.0 now. Will I still get system update messages? I'm assuming it's safe to update?

Sometimes they manage it even if they don't feel like it, I remember a bunch of legit Gateway owners got bricked after a card firmware update once.

Never update from the home menu. Always update from system settings.
if a nag asks you to system update, say no.

Okay, thanks. I figured it it was dangerous, the guide would have mentioned it somewhere. What's the difference? What makes upgrading from system settings safe over upgrading from the home menu?

a9lh, right? You update from system settings whenever you want since luma blocks updates on automatically

No clue. Someone said a long long time ago in the threads that it was dangerous and nobody does it because they're not risking it

Yeah, a9lh. Cool, I shouldn't need to worry then.

I bought a gateway 2 years ago but I accidentally updated to 10.1 so now I've been stuck for a while.

I've got that browser nag and cant get past it even with the time change thing.

Is there any thing else I can do to downgrade, or do I need to do the ocarina of time exploit?

you can read the op

sorry that wasn't helpful, try following exactly this
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)

I have a regular new 3ds so I bought custom plates anyways, the Animal Crossing ones don't do it for me.

yeah you can just copy the shit off beforehand.

you can use browserhax to load homebrew and downgrade, steps 1 and 2 on the guide from here and if you want to set up a CFW do part 3, if you want to get A9LH without waiting for Gatewait to get their shit together do 4+5.

They fixed it in a nightly
the stable hasn't been updated yet because the dev doesn't have their 3ds to test and doesn't want to put out a stable until then. Just get the latest nightly.

Also get the updater

and you can keep up that way without having to take out the SD for every update.

Did you have your finger over the lens like an idiot?

Wew

no

You gotta be an idiot for that. I paid 40$ for my Gateway.

Do I have to install updates for out of region games with FBI?

Yes.

More fun from gateway, too.

Is there a guide to update to A9LH and LUMA from rx tools? The guide I found assumes you already have luma and use rednand instead of sysnand.

RedNAND is the same as emunand, it's a minor technical difference. To switch off of rxtools get the latest version of Luma, copy the Luma3DS.dat, Luma folder and 3ds folder to your SD card and then load that way, you can follow the guide from part 4 then.

This is taking forever.

Just use jks save manager, it can export system saves and extdata.

Unfortunately, my N3DS XL suffered water damage to the screen and it has blotches when I turn it on.

Still works, but it's distracting as all hell.

So, I guess I need to buy a new one. Does Gamestop update their 3DS'? What version would a N3DS be if I bought it from them?

They don't update their refurbs (Nintendo does)

How important is it that my SD card be 'formatted for emuNAND?' If I remember correctly, doesn't it have something to do with being able to connect to the eShop, even with CFW installed?

So I guess that means that if I buy a N3DS from them that it'd be updated?

If you buy a refurb from Nintendo it will be up to date.
Gamestop sells their refurbs in whatever condition and FW the customer sold them.

Hey thanks, I couldn't get fat16 to mount if my life depended on it. But I've yet to see if the streetpass savegame works after I complete A9LH/Luma. There are reports of wonky differences in the plaza.

Buying from Nintendo guarantees a newest-firmware system, buying new-and-in-the-box from a chain store or game store guarantees a low firmware version, buying used from a chain store or game store is a bit more of a crapshoot.

If you're comfortable with taking stuff apart you could probably replace the screen since you said it was water damage to one screen.

Emunand won't work at all if your SD card isn't formatted for it because there'll be no hidden-partition to read in the first place, emunand is a clone of normal firmware with piracy checks disabled that's stored on your SD and made to run through CFW loaders such as RxTools or Luma3DS.

Emunand and eShop is a bit of a mixed bag since you can access it just fine and all that but it'll wipe any pirated DLC you have installed, including themes. Games are untouched and you can actually repair installations for games you don't own using the eShop.

Would buying refurbished be reliable, though? I feel like it's such a throw of the dice.

I did think of that, but I wouldn't know where to buy a N3DS top screen from.

You could try asking the employees if they could check what FW a refurb is on. It's used, after all.

Check ebay, there's ass-tons of for-parts systems for $20-$30 on there, or just the part you want.

Refurbished from Nintendo get updates when they get fixed if you get a new one that's been in a box for months then you'll obviously be fine.

Is there a list of must play 3ds games yet? I'm about to start Tales of the Abyss and wondering if there's anything better before I put a ton of time into this one.

Ace Attorney (Trilogy, vs Layton, Dual Destinies)
Devil Survivor (Overclocked, Record Breaker)
Rune Factory 4

good luck stomaching Abyss, it never fucking ends

I'm only asking because my old 3DS broke so I got the Link Between Worlds one, and it comes with the code to download it, etc. Putting a little more thought in, though, I can just get the cia for it and skip the code entirely. Then I won't have to worry about accessing the eShop.

Might have to give Rune Factory 4 a go. Looks super comfy.

Yeah that'd be best. Even if you can't access the eShop for one reason or another it's more an inconvenience than anything; between 3DSiso and a couple other sites you won't be wanting for games and update data/DLC, though you'll typically have to wait some of the day after release for update data if you go totally eShop-free.

Good choice. RF4 was the reason I bought my 3DS in the first place.

RF4 was the main reason I even modded my 3DS in the first place. My sister took my copy like two years ago.

I'm going to ask this here, because it seems like the best place for it: What methods are there for hacking in Pokemon onto your games on current firmware?

I understand that one of the early 9.X updates broke injection completely, but are there any other methods? Preferably ones that don't involve me getting flashcarts?

I hacked my 3DS a while back and I never bothered with unlinking my nands. My emunand is currently on 11.0. Is it possible for something to fuck up if I were to unlink now or am I safe to just go ahead and do it?

You did unlink your nands otherwise you wouldn't have cfw or an emunand right now.

Oh, I see now. I'm retarded. Thanks anyhow.

My R button is pretty much broken
Is there any homebrew to swap R with select or some shit?

No, you can have linked nands but it fucks with your nnid stuff.

You're clear to go ahead and do it, just format your shit up.

Use jks save manager to dump your save, and then use pkhex to edit it. Alternatively you can get the pchex++ homebrew and modify them that way.

Since browserhax is still working, you should be able to access homebrew that way, go back to menuhax, and change the button to boot up from there.

Don't know why you picked one of the shoulder buttons. They break hella easy.

You can't have linked nands because if you do, updating emunand updates sysnand.

DIY nerd, don't think so though. Doesn't seem impossible with the right knowledge

My menuhax trigger is still the default L so I'm fine on that end until L also breaks, I meant for general use, because some games use R pretty heavily.

Oh, I'm stupid. I totally misread your post.

I do know some games like tales of the abyss, smash bros and I think the etrian games let you switch up your buttons, so you're not entirely fucked.

Oh yeah okay. I don't know what I'm doing right now that I missed the version number.

And jks/pkhex will work on a 11.0 FW N3DS with a9lh/luma, correct?

Absolutely, just install the .cia and then do your thing.

What's the best game for the 3DS and why is it a Toushin Toshi remake?

Is there any way to get a HANS cia or something like that? I miss being able to take screenshots

NTR has a screenshot feature.

Isn't NTR just for the N3DS?

no.
It has some n3ds special features, but it is not n3ds exclusive.

No, N3DS has exclusive features (current pre-release features include streaming video of gameplay from N3DS though the framerate is pretty terrible at the moment) but O3DS can make use of cheats and screenshots.

Ummm, I guess, I should do the whole armloader thing already.

So I've gotten to the part in the CFW setup where I've just updated the RedNAND partition to the newest official firmware. Except now the emunand9 folder in the SD card is empty and Luma no longer boots into anything. Do I just backtrack to the redNAND formatting steps and try it again?

It's just a timesaver and nets you back a GB from your SD card, not really a necessity if you've already got some form of CFW/emunand.

I was using Rx until a few days ago, currently on Luma3DS
I am okay with waiting and My SD is 64 gibs.
I want to install that armloader thing but I am afraid of bricking my 3ds

lmao

The a9lh Plailect guide is as safe as it'll ever get.

Goddamn, I should have done this sooner. This shit's WAY better than ReiNAND.

How do I know this thing "SecureInfo_A" is the same in both Emu and Sys?

If you're not sure what it is, you most likely haven't fucked with it. Have you ever tried changing region?

Let's say your sysnand is US region. Your emunand has to also be US region.

Nope

They are both US

I had Rxtools before, that one is Region Free by defaul, right?
Well, I haven't done anything beyond installing Pasta and Games.
I am on Luma now though

has nothing to do with region changing, cfw just allows unsigned content to run
SecureInfo_A is what makes the JP version of Hyrule Warriors play in English when run on a US 3DS

You can continue the guide knowing you have never touched it, so don't worry about it.

Let me complete this thought. If you imported a JP 3DS, Hyrule Warriors would only play in Japanese. In fact, all of the menus and stuff would be in Japanese. This is why some people desire to region change their console.

Changing SecureInfo_A also nets you a different region eshop but I think you need a donor console for that to actually work.

I was afraid too but the most tense part is copying emunand to sysnand. Everything else is protected by making backups. If you
It'll be hard to brick. I fucked up the downgrade THREE TIMES because I forgot to copy a file, and the guide author still anticipated that fuckup and told me how to retry.

In fact, one of the benefits of A9LH is that it can start a NAND backup program, loaded from the SD, mere milliseconds after hitting power. If you ever used BootMii, way back on the Wii, it's like that.

If you want to wait that's fine, but if you update sysNAND, you'll be closing entrypoints.

Hey guys, I was wondering how to get into 3ds. I want to play ds and GBA games on a 3ds, would a flashcart be usable?

GBA games are piratable without a flashcart.
DS games need a flashcart, but with certian cfws like rxtools or luma you can get any flashcart working, even if it's been blocked.

So some flashcarts will not work with DS games?

user you use the old DS flashcarts to get ds games working, don't get a 3ds flashcart, it's a waste of money.

Question about the OP

Does this mean that Ocarina and Cube ninja are working again on 11.0? I know, just homebrew, but is that how you can get it running in 11 now?

There's still some JP My Nintendo exclusives that haven't been dumped yet so you'd need a region change for them (Culdcept Revolt, in my case).

That said, I haven't gone through with it since if the talents in the community don't even know how to work it consistently, it's over my head for the amount of time I'd spend on it.

you can use the homebrew launcher in 11.0 which has hans, or you can use NTR CFW and do screenshots that way.

You can still use reinand with A9LH user, the guide does luma by default but if you prefer rei, just download the latest one and replace the arm9loaderhax.bin file, and then copy the rei folder.

Smea said last week that he was going to update the packages for CN and OoT, and tweeted later on about how he fixed CN if I recall, check his site for more details. If you're on CFW, you can use the homebrew launcher cia, just download the latest otherapp payload and rename it from 10.7 to 11.0.

Try getting into the luma settings first, or try booting it with rei. If your emunand is updated then it should be working.

If I put Luma on a N3DS, will any DS flashcart work with it?

Should, to my recollection.

If you're on Luma just get the firmware.bin out of part 5 of here github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Get-Started and put it in your luma folder, if you're on rei then it shouldn't update native firm but I don't know much about that.

Yes, Luma does twl patching by default - if it's very very old though it may not show in the menu because it has no title data, so you need to get a launcher from apache thunder on gbatemp.

Well I'll be goddamned, that did the trick.

Thanks heaps.

hello my dearest friends.

I have never bought a portable console as i only had a ps1 and original xbox when growing up, and now i have a gaming pc, so now i feel i'm missing out on nintendo's games.

What i intend to do is get a new 3ds xl and flash it/hack it/whatever you guys are doing, and play all the games that are released for it, and were released for the ds. is this possible to do? how easy is it to hack?

should i just emulate the games on my pc?

pretty much

1) Read the OP, please, for the good of yourself and others

2) Yes, but you'll need a flashcart for DS games. Natively a New 3DS can run NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and non-3D Sega console games, meaning you've got an absolutely massive library of things to install with little to no hassle in addition to the 3DS's own library. Native DS play is only possible through cartridges as there's no packaged method of playing it off of an SD.

so anything i cant emulate on my pc or even, on my phone?? i just wanted to buy the console so i can play something different on a different device,with actual controls.

so basically actually buy games?

There's a slew of eShop titles and some DSiWare (programs for an ill-thought out DS successor/DS 1.5) you can install but beyond that it's the system's own games.

No, that's where a flashcart comes in.

games you'd play on the shitter, or actual games?

where can i buy that? how much does it cost? how hard is to find the games, and install them? its illegal, right?

Actual games for the most part, I was fairly fond of Sakura Samurai.

Google around for flashcart retailers since it's been so long I wouldn't know where to look, cheaper ones go for $10-$20 and more expensive go between $20-$50 (high-end ones aren't worth it), not hard at all to find DS games since you're just slapping roms onto a microSD, and flashcarts probably straddle a legal gray-area since they could be used for piracy but they could also be not used for piracy whatsoever.

thanks for the info my dude.

one last question: would you actually recommend it to someone who's never had a nintendo console, and rarely played any nintendo games? i havent even played ocarina of time, or any super mario outside of mario bros1.

and expecially to someone who could just emulate the games?

For someone who's flat-out never had a Nintendo console I'd actually recommend a Wii or a Wii U, I haven't touched the latter system but the Wii lands me access to the entirety of its own library and every prior Nintendo system's library through piracy and homebrew tools, most importantly Gamecube since my computer's a toaster and chugs with a lot of Wii emulation and some Gamecube emulation. Wii U's pirateable now though if I've read the threads in the catalog correctly and through the virtual-Wii used for backwards compatibility you've got access to Wii games and Gamecube games, so as an immense piracy/trickle-down emulation machine that'd probably be an even better way to go.

As far as emulating it on your computer instead goes, that's your choice. 3DS itself isn't emulatable yet though, and I suppose if you were so inclined you could have a Wii U as an every-console and the 3DS as an every-handheld.

the problem is that i could aswell emulate wii games, and ds games, but since i didnt grow up with nintendo, i dont even know WHAT to emulate.

I've managed to transfer my save from my AC cart to the 3ds using the save data transfer tool but this was before i hacked my 3ds.

If I have 9.0.20E, what is the next step I should take?

You'd actually want a physical system for DS games because of how much of a pain in the fucking ass touch-screen controls are with a mouse. Wii's also less of a hassle with the real system, though with a bit of fiddling and a Bluetooth dongle you can hook a Wii remote to your PC and play through Dolphin.

As for what to emulate, best way to find out's going in blind, have a poke through emuparadise and see what appeals in the lists. All the Nintendo first-parties are surefire bets, ie Mario, Wario, Kirby, Zelda, Metroid.

Should already be able to set up CFW, get Luma3DS and emunand going and go from there or set up A9LH. Either way check the guides in the OP/first couple posts.

You should be able to go ahead and set up but you might need to update to 9.2 if it isn't working out. If you need to, read the install guide linked in op for more info on that, it has a 9.2 update section.

Thanks, do you think there's a chance of bricking if I go ahead down the A9LH route?

there's always a chance of bricking whenever you downgrade/upgrade using memchunkz.
It's incredibly small if you follow the multiple guides floating around.

As long as you can read you should be pretty safe. The guide listed in op will take you through all the way.

Found a guy on craigslist selling modded 3dses (one old, one new) but they're both on rxtools.

One's on rxtools rx-e 11.0.0-33u
The other's rx-s9.2.0u
I noticed at the top that rxtools are out of date, but are they still usable? If a new game came or I wanted to run a modded game, would this still work?

Switching cfw isn't hard.

So either one will work or should I go for the s9.2.0 to switch cfw?

Nab the New 3DS you mentioned and migrate to Luma and you'll be good to go.

They'll both be fine, the rx-e doesn't mean anything in terms of hackability, it's emunand, a second menu that you can update to the latest version. s is sysnand, the actual version. they're both obviously on 9.2.

Just go for the new 3ds because the new 3ds is better anyways, esp. if it's not an xl because those things are fuckhuge.

>github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Get-Started
Start at step 4, right? That's what I'm getting from skimming the thread. Otherwise, which guide should I follow?

After you switch to Luma, go from step 4, yes.

Let me rephrase that.

If I need to do anything outside that guide, where do I start?

okay.
There are two home menus installed on this, sysnand, and emunand. When you get it from this guy, assuming he did it right, as soon as your 3ds comes on it should load through menuhax, the screen will flash a bunch of colors, and it will boot into a home menu, if you go to system settings and it says rx-e it's emunand. If you close out of the homebrew launcher when you start up your 3ds, you can go into settings and it should say 'Ver. 9.2.0-20U'. If your emunand is the same version, make a folder on the menu and see if you see it in the sysnand as well. If not, then continue on.

To switch from rxtools to luma, you just have to get the latest version of luma from here: astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/

copy the 3ds and luma folders, and the luma3ds.dat to your sd card and delete your rxtools shit, and then you can boot from it instead. from that point you can start at part 4.

if you see the folder you made on both menus, then you need to go into one of them and do a system format, or use tinyformat. You can see part 3 of the guide about that, it's called unlinking nands. After that, you can continue at part 4.

if your emunand is at a different version than your sysnand then you can switch to luma and update your emunand. Don't update your sysnand or else you'll be locked out of CFW and can't downgrade.

You may just want to buy a new miniSD (sandisk a best, get a class 10) card depending on the one it comes with is and start from Part 1. Read all the sections before doing them, especially the overviews, and also the FAQ. The majority of Part 2 won't pertain to you since you will already be on 9.2, but you should still gloss over it.

this is pretty solid advice too, this way you can get a grip of the basics and start fresh. You won't really need the rx emunand, and getting a micro sd that's 64gb is a good amount, I have about 40 or 50 gb of stuff.

Has anybody figured out how to replace the icons of system apps (like the camera, music, etc.)? Sucks you can't just replace them with action badges.

you can use badges that open them if they have the right filename. To fully replace the icon, you'd have to fuck around in NAND.

Speaking of badges, is there a way to pirate arcade plays?
I know we can just give ourselves badges, but I kinda like crane machines.

There is a way to cheat, I think, but you'll get banned, there was a big ban wave a while back, even for people who would just cheat like 3 tokens.

what kind of bans we talking about, console or can we just delete all the data and be good?

NNID ban. Your NNID is blacklisted.

Some people I think were getting console bans, most I think just got permanent console bans from badge arcade. I'll try and dig up the gbatemp thread, a lot of sour grapes in there to laugh at too who spent $300 on pictures and cheated because they're addicted to crane machines like retards.

here's the thread

gbatemp.net/threads/badge-arcade-region-ban-poll-022-2803.411028/

Ok, I've currently got my EmuNAND on 9.2 and want to update it. Do I just update through the system settings while in EmuNAND? Is it safe with the current version nintendo has out? What information should I know before trying to do this?

Have you unlinked your nands? What cfw?

Unlined and recently (as in a few hours ago) changed my CFW from rxTools to luma3ds

as long as your NANDs are unlinked you can update it through system settings in emunand to the latest version. If you want to downgrade your emunand later you have to get a firmware.bin from the a9lh guide.

yeah you're good to go

Thanks, updated it to version 11 without any issues

gbatemp.net/entry/a9lh-masterrace.11207/
Something that should maybe go in the OP.

noted, I'll toss it in somewhere for the next thread.

Anybody in this thread have experience with using AGBsave9 with AL9H+Luma3DS? I'm trying to use the most current version (github.com/alex34567/Agbsave9/releases/tag/v1.0.1) however it doesn't do anything but spit me back into the Homebrew Launcher. Anything I'm doing wrong?

if it's dependent on the 9.2 exploit it won't work with 11.0. you'd have to make a 9.2 emunand for that. It's the same with Decrypt9/Emunand9. If you're using A9LH+SysNand then you can't load those through the homebrew launcher, so they have A9LH payloads.

use the agbsave9.bin, put it in your payloads folder with a trigger button to get it on bootup.

Okay I see, but where is my payloads folder and how do I set a trigger for it?

since you're using luma, go to /luma/payloads and name it button_agbsave9.bin.

you can read the button combinations here.

github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes

Assuming you followed the guide from before, you should already have uncart, decrypt9, and emunand9 set up in there. Select is reserved for the Luma3DS menu.

Oh that's definitely simpler than what I was just looking at. Thank you.

No problem.

Also, Gatewayfags BTFO.

Gateway+A9LH Has the following features as of right now:

Proprietary A9LH implementation - Gateway users can't use any scene a9lh cfw or payloads, such as decrypt9 or emunand9.

The gateway downgrader is unstable, and unable to downgrade new 3ds' because it doesn't properly transition them to o3ds firmware - 100% brick chance.

No GBA Support.

Inability to restore NAND Backups.

No FIRM Protection - every new update will either brick your 3DS or remove A9LH.

Even if you have your otp.bin pre-dumped, you must downgrade to 2.1 again in order to load their launcher and install A9LH - after you dump otp.bin normally, you would go back to 9.2 to install it.

Still nothing for 8.1J users.

They really knocked this one out of the park.

It only took 6 months for them to catch up this far, and 3 delays.

Also, the inability to restore NAND dumps means that if you install their A9LH your 3ds is effectively softbricked from ever going back to anything else, and with no firm protections you can't update at all.

Gatewayfags exist?

They do believe it or not, look further up for the locked threads about the gateway update. Also there's a new one up already that I just pulled that image from.

Also if you boot your 3ds without the gateway in it loads into 'classic mode' that only lets you play retail carts, no .cia.

And they're not simply using the Gateway launcher .cia on SysNAND because…?

That's what I do personally. Best of both worlds.

Are you using A9LH or an emunand setup?

A9LH with Luma.

I have the Emunand just for Gateway and I load it from the .cia.

The GIDF is rolling out.

yeah that's what most people have been doing, but some people have been holding their breath for an a9lh payload they can load with ctrbootmanager9 to still have 1 nand, but it's not really working out for them right now.

there is literally nothing wrong with gateway

Here's your reply.

Holy shit, so many different versions of the R4. I've got the original one, is there a way to make it work with cfw?

Could you share any resources you used to make the transition? I'm still on old as fuck 10.3 ReiNand and scared that I'm too out of date to safely move cfw

Here is a thread of interest.
gbatemp.net/threads/r4-stage2-twl-flashcart-launcher-and-perhaps-other-cards-soon™.416434/

Is there any good reason why installing cias from title keys via FBI's qr code reader is slow as balls? It's really convenient, but installing anything over .5 GB is not worth it.

So I haven't kept up with 3ds news in a couple of months. Where's a good place to see all the games that came out recently for it so I can yaarrrrrrr!?

Start here

You can keep using reinand if you want to but the most popular choice with a9lh is Luma3DS.

The 3DS' wireless card can barely push 1.5 MB/s. When you're using title keys and tickets you're getting it from Nintendo so it's downloading and installing at the same time.

Popular rom sites are already a good enough way of gauging new releases and what you might want from them, look at 3DSiso or 3DSchaos.

That was a frightening experience. I'll wait for the next stable Luma release.

It is a possibility your SD card got unseated.

After the 3ds boots with a9lh you can take the SD card out, if you're on sysnand.

Either way, if that's your prerogative go for it, hopefully the new stable comes out soonish.

In other news it looks like ntr is going to stop being developed.

Is there good fan service games for the 3DS? I know seran kagura, code princess and shantae, but is there any other?

I just want to be teased and have fun.

I don't think so, my legitimate games were showing up just fine, as well as Omega Ruby which was a legit CIA.

Pretty strange, I've not had any problems with unstables. The issue right now is that until the next build online will be broken, so I've been recommending unstable to people over stable.

…How cumbersome is it to use?

i'd say another reason is having more storage space readily available if someone doesn't care about paying, personally my cart slot is always with a DS flashcart for DS games though

see

Here we go, got some information on it.
gbatemp.net/threads/luma3ds-noob-proof-3ds-custom-firmware.411110/page-630#post-6383042

And a screenshot for visibility.

So wait, don't have to update cakes for the jewest version?

apparently the latest (a3ae3852) fixed this issue

fug it, I'm waiting for a stable

Not exactly more cumbersome but definitely far, far more inconvenient with your emunand and ability to play games being hampered by needing a cartridge in at all times and no ability to play .cia files, only raw .3ds files that take more space.

You can trim headers and such to make .3ds files take less space but there's also the issue that you're playing online totally at your own peril with .3ds roms, with cias there's no risk of being banned from online play.

Pretty disappointing that cell9 stopped because someone was being persistent with asking him to release the source code. There's still a chance that some features from NTR will be added to a new homebrew program.

gbatemp.net/threads/release-ntr-cfw-3-2-with-experimental-real-time-save-feature.385142/page-117#post-6382253

Anyone tried doing custom shells yet for their 3DS? From what I've read it seems almost impossible getting the top screen on.

Oh God it's so beautiful. Atomic Purple 3DS/N3DS never ever New 2DS never ever

I bet you enjoy not being able to see your waifu's tiddies, cuck.

All I could find were some guides to take apart the N3DS XL, but no replacement or custom parts

ifixit.com/Device/Nintendo_3DS_XL_2015

i bet you're the kind of gays who also put LED lights on those transparent shells

LEDs are shameful, I need to suppress a gag whenever I see LEDs on GAYMURR GEAARRR and the lights on my headset are already heavily pushing it and I put up with them because the headset itself is great

I just want the transparent embrace of a plastic shell

I followed the update guide and am on Luma with a9lh a few days ago. I decided to re-install my games today. Apparently Decrypt9 is the new way to make xorpads now. Decrypt 9 worked just fine when I was following that guide, but now I can't get it to launch. I have the Decrypt9WIP folder in the 3DS folder, and Decrypt9.bin on the root of my SD card. Am I forgetting something?

What xorpads you want?'

I'll fetch em for you

Japanese version of SMT IV and IV Final, Japanese version of Mario and Luigi RPG Paper Mario Mix, and Kirby Planet Robobot.

Still, if anyone has any idea what's wrong, I'd appreciate the ideas, I'd like to be able to do this myself again in the future.

you did a9lh so you load decrypt9 by holding start as you boot your system

I'm retarded. I tried literally every button but start. Thanks.

You need decrypt9.bin in your /luma/payloads folder. Name it button_decrypt9.bin where button is the key you want to hold on startup to launch it.

You can delete it from the /3ds/ folder, you can't use that one. If you have the .bin on your root delete that too.

Alright, thanks for the info.

Nothing in english?

Never played etrian odssey before, where should I start?

I've been kind of out of the loop, so forgive me if I ask stupid questions. Is Luma CFW just a renamed AuReinand? Also is there an alternative for region free and improved clocked speeds now that the dev of NTR deleted all his source code?

Have a few games installed on my sd, but only 4 or 5 of them have really kept my interest. Now I'm looking for more. What games do you guys think are games everyone should at least try?

Luma3DS is a renamed AuReinand as far as I'm aware.

Luma3DS has regionfree entirely on its own, last I checked (though I think you'd still need NTR for out-of-region DLC), and you can still use NTR builds for region-free DLC/clock speeds/cheats and such. If you can't find a download there's the firmware.bin files mentioned in the guides and I can supply the one I've got and am currently using.

And by "the one I've got" I mean "NTR build"

Must-plays I've had are Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, Mario Kart 7 and Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Can be fixed easily, just buy part online.

I've heard that there's a way to get around games automatically selecting a language based on your 3DS's region settings like Kirby Planet Robobot does. That was awhile ago though and I don't remember the specifics. Does anyone here know?

I wish the instructions for this shit wasn't written in fucking jibberish

You have to pick when to be informative and when to be witty

This is attempting to be witty all the time and important information just gets left on the wayside

Just use this.

>github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-4-(Getting-the-OTP)

Thread template is AIDS.

Yeah I got to 9.2 by some forum but I have no idea how to install the CFW etc

eh, I'm following the guide in the op and i just want to make sure I'm doing this right. In part 4, it to inject fbi into health and safety on emunand. But following the guide you never get emunand, do I skip those steps? or did i fuck up somehow

Yeah I can't get emunand to load either

Just says error and kicks me out

Luma3DS does clock speed and region free. You can still use ntr for the time being though.

What are you having trouble with?

Backup your SD card, open emunand9 through the homebrew launcher and do complete rednand setup to make an emunand. Then, download the latest Luma3DS or reinand, copy the 3ds, Luma folders to your SD card and the Luma.dat. The first time you boot Luma you need to hold select to open the menu, check show system version in settings and then hit start to restart, and load Luma through the homebrew launcher again.

This is the part that details that

You have to format one of the nands afterwards or else they'll both update when you update your emunand. That's called unlinking.

I do have two NANDs unlinked, but otp does not detect the second NAND. Is redNAND different from emuNAND, or are they the same thing

RedNAND and emunand are functionally the same, they're just a minor technical difference.

I don't understand what you mean, do you mean otphelper?

I fumbled my way into getting it to do all that stuff, I got it to say emu by the version number so now I'm just updating

From then I just have to run Lumas3D whenever I want to run the CFW right?

Can I install games now?

yeah, in otphelper it doesn't detect rednand as emunand

Update worked and if run Lumas3D it boots into the CFW

So how to I install games?

Of course now you're nowhere to be found

Download .cia files and install them with devmenu or fbi. If you injected fbi install fbi and devmenu through it first.

I have shit to do I'm not just sitting in the same spot all day.
Stop sperging out so much.

What does it look like when you load it? Can you show a picture?

yeah sure, one sec

How does one get to devmenu or FBI?

Open decrypt9, go to emunand options and do health and safety dump. Copy the health and safety.app to your pc and get the universal inject generator.

gbatemp.net/threads/release-inject-any-app-into-health-safety-o3ds-n3ds-cfw-only.402236/

Get the latest fbi .cia and put it and the .app in the input, run the generator, then take 'fbi_inject_with_banner.app' and put it back in your SD, go into emunand options again and do health and safety inject. Then if you open health and safety in emunand it should load fbi. Use that to install the latest fbi and devmenu.

You can get the latest devmenu in the utilities pack in op. From there you can install .cia format games. You can follow the rest of the guide to set up arm9loaderhax.

Sorry, wasnt otp, it was decrypt9.

Are you sure you have an emunand? It should be a partition hidden in the SD card. If you formatted your SD since then it's probably gone.

check for the partition with gparted or Windows disk management or whatever and if it's not there backup your SD, open decrypt9 on your SD and do complete rednand setup again.

yeah, but what im saying is that i can launch rednand fine, its all updated and working, this is the only step thats given me any hiccups

Make a full image of your SD card or try getting the emunand tool from gbatemp, put your SD card in to your pc and pull the emunand. If you can pull the emunand bin then backup your SD card, and do full rednand setup on decrypt9 again. Then you can do emunand restore with your bin backup you made and try again.

Does the main menu of emunand9 have a emunand type or any more info on it?

would using emuNAND9 work for the emunand bin

This is what ice got when i open emunand9, complete emunand setup should work fine right?

How do you open health and safety after injecting?

It says you have a rednand for emunand, you're right. Try making a backup of it with emunand9 first. It doesn't really make sense why it doesn't show in decrypt9, are you using the latest version of d9?

When you load Luma it will patch signature checks so you should just load into your emunand and open it off the home menu and it should work. I don't know if they fixed the FBI 2 inject support but if it loads forever when you try to open it in emunand, download fbi 1.4.17 and try injecting it.

that might be it actually, will try tomorrow.

Nah I found it

Just never clicked on H&S before, was the big yellow triangle with the ! in it

Gracious for all the help

github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Options-and-usage
tl;dr make a titleid.txt of robo kirby and put JPN JP inside and stick it in /luma/locales to play it in Japanese.

I haven't checked on the shit translations title for a while. Are bravely default 2 and fire emblem safe to download if eur, or do they still have censorship and bad translation? are there finished fantranslations in case?

Cool, thanks.

I haven't played the Bravely games, so I can't comment on the quality of localization, but I know that Bravely Second has is censored (even the fucking artbook), and some other stuff changed like it's impossible to get bad endings to sidequests now (which I think was made because Japanese players complained about them).

I'm late but holy lel
github.com/mtheall/ftpd/commit/08f437e25e647481b6d994b3e547f0a41c06a4ad

I use FTP-GMX instead anyways so I can get .cia support.

There's really no other relevant thread to ask this in, so I guess I'll ask them here:

What changes did they make to the Phoenix Wright Trilogy from the original games? Did they make a whole bunch of stupid censorship decisions?

What are the differences between the US and ED versions?

guys, I want to emunand my nephews 3ds, I already downgraded to 9.2, gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-setting-up-9-0-9-2-n3ds-xl-for-cfw-including-emunand-coldboot-cia-installer.405589/ im trying this tutorial but both pasta and minipasta are failling me so i cant use fbi so i cant progress. I'm not planning on using Arm9LoaderHax, So i just want to set up emunand and use luma seeing as rxtools is deprecated, please help

user
I'm not going to hell and back just to get gayms working. the worst part is I set up 2 3ds twice(before 9.2 was a thing) and all of that process was less painful tha tnow that we have updated tools

So you're saying you can't be assed to read?

I don't know if they changed the script of the games. I would hope they at the very least fixed the one typo I remember in the whole trilogy
But I don't remember hearing anything similar to it, and knowing how lazy Capcom is, the scripts are probably exactly the same.

The changes however come with the sprites. the Trilogy 3ds game has "HD" sprites recycled from the Wii and iOS versions of the games. They are ugly as all fucking hell, as if you were playing an emulator with filters enabled.
Quick comparison in pics related

Although I should note, these come from a quick google search, for some reason I couldn't find any other pair to compare like I've done in the past when asked about the differences. I had seen other sprites where it was noticeable some frames were missing, but in this particular case the whole mouth animation has been cut in the HD version. It could be that I stumbled upon an edit, but odds are that's the way it looks in the "hd" trilogy.

If you have a ds flashcart I would recommend playing the ds versions

apparently

another comparison.
Ignore the difference in speed of both loops, but it is easy to see there are just 2 different frames in the HD one, while there are at least 3* for a more fluid hand motion in the classic one. *Actually 4 when split by frames.

ok, i got this setup, and nads unlinked, but I'm missing a cia installer

That's a pretty striking difference.

You have to inject one, and then you can install FBI/Devmenu through the injected version.

I dumped H&S but when trying to use the injector i get that FBI_inject_no_banner.app and FBI_inject_with_banner.app don't exist

after you dump H&S, unmount your SD Card, open the Universal Inject Generator on your PC, then put the H&S .app from your SD card into the input folder, and the latest fbi .cia. Run the injector, then copy FBI Inject_with_banner .app and do the inject with decrypt9.

it should generate those, not need them.

I think the linux version is bugged, someone posted in the thread with what seems to be the same problem

someone posted about that on gbatemp earlier today and got it worked out.

gbatemp.net/threads/linux-universal-inject-generator-doesnt-work.428315/

it gave me the files. and it injected them, but i get the error screen when trying to launch H&S, I think the conversion is the weak link here, I don't think it is normal for the resulting .app to be only 28kb

try using FBI Version 1.4.17 instead, last I was doing it FBI 2 wasn't working for injects.

gimmie your h&s.app and I'll inject it

no dice i got a file equally as big, and the same error when trying to open h&s

thanks, brother, transfer.sh/n81tb/hs.app

there you go
www100.zippyshare.com/v/LRfoJJzH/file.html

it worked, thanks, man

new thread is up