PSO General

Hey guys, Holla Forums recently started a Phantasy Star Online group that's reached about 58 people on the Ephinea private server. It seems to be the best option out there for PSO nostalgia. They let you change your section ID before level 20, view and reset your material usage, and even introduced optional PSO2 style drops (where everyone gets drops but not every monster drops stuff).

By the way, we have a Discord set up at discord.gg/010NN4N1NjMQxTHcx

Other urls found in this thread:

ephinea.pioneer2.net/
pioneer2.net/community/index.php?threads/competition-time-win-an-s-rank.2135/
discord.gg/010NN4N1NjMVTDUm7
discordapp.com/invite/010NN4N1NjMS6V8gN
psp2.psupedia.info/Special%3ASearch/Weapons.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

58 people? that sounds impressive
last I played there was some months back

How far did you get?

Are people cool or are they memespouters that love to broadcast the fact that they browse imageboards? Like the people that greentext or say kek or whatever, those people are fuckboys.

Never played original PSO. I might take a look at this. You don't have SEGA breathing down your necks over this, do you?

Much closer to cool awkward, no-life losers than memespouters. I suppose someone might throw out a lol or a kek now and then.

Nope, in fact its actually legal now, at least in the US, to privately hosts servers for online games that aren't active by their companies.

I think I was around 150
Had a char in the 190s on schthack, so I tried to get back up there. Ephinea is such a better server though.

Indeed, much better managed, can't buy items and constant development by people who share their work with the community.

I'm a retard that made a new thread without looking, oops. Also why are you posting my screenshot? I don't frequent 8ch…

I'm the owner of the group (first member, really) and so far we have a neat little thing. There's definite chan culture, but it's not overwhelming - every weeknight we gather around at 6 to listen to True Capitalist Radio with Ghost in Discord (someone streams it), and we just got a musicbot set up with all sorts of Sega and Phantasy Star music. We play over on the Ephinea server, which is doing great things for the PSO community - they added VOIP, which is a work-in-progress but still, it's pretty great

If you're new and wondering if you should jump in, I still think the game is relevant to this day and is easy to pick up. A lot of us are willing to answer questions, and we're compiling resources that are going to help players be able to understand more about the game through literature like guides to MAGs and weapon wikias and other relevant information

Check out the Ephinea server at ephinea.pioneer2.net/ and if you wanna jump in our Discord, sweet, we'll be ready to help

Nice to see such a substantial influx of players anyway. Not sure if I will play the game again anytime soon, and I'm not much of a social animal, since I can't handle the bantz, and I'm not a huge fan of lelsoebin imageboard culture in places that aren't an imageboard, but it's nice to see people are still interested in PSO.

The game has a place in history, it really does - it was the first real online console game, let alone the graphics for the time and the fact that it's an enjoyable experience that's still relevant 16 years later

Okay, just started a character. Really awkward control scheme (but it's old, so I can forgive some things). But setting the menu button as F12? How the hell is someone supposed to figure that out?

git gud

Trying. It's always harder to get into something old after playing modern things for so long.

yeah it's quite dated and clunky
for me the game works better with a controller and something like xpadder

Just like any other game you have just played for the first time, you'll get used to it eventually. Plus you can change many of the keybinds if you are bothered by them.

Make sure to post the one that matters, the one that shows all the emotes

One of these days I'm going to get on a retro-kick and want to play PSO online again.

…But not today.

Today, I want the english patch for PSP2 Infinity to get finished up, and for there to be a private server set up so you can connect to the virtual lobbies again via both PSP and PPSSPP.

Gameplay wise, PSP2i is about as close to PSO as you can get, while not being clunky and still introducing some of the more needed mechanics from PSO2 (Dodging, blocking, chaining, etc).

The worst part of PSP2i is that it's an extension of PSU, and while the gameplay has improved substantially - a lot of the assets and level design are still boring. It's improved substantially in the PSP2/2i specific areas - but if you're playing the old missions then they're still just as bland as they always were.

That one would be a mess, specially with the alternate male/female emotes shown in it.

I've always wanted to play that, but yet again, we never got it. Damn SEGA.

Would you really even need a private server for it? PPSSPP's connection riect connection method should do just fine. After all, it works for MH.

Oh hells yes. I play PSO2 quite a lot these days but man I have been urging for a fix of original PSO. Can't wait to see you all in-game!

Yeah, you could just connect kinda ad-hoc, but then you'd be missing out on the PSO2-like lobbies where you could just meet people and chill. They weren't perpetual the way they were for PSO though. When you logged in, you chose to either join an existing lobby or to create your own that was either open or private. Each lobby could hold like… 16 or so people where they could just mingle and chat and set-up games. Then you joined a part of 4 and entered Clad 6, and from there you could select missions. A lot like the Lobby -> Pioneer 2 -> Mission Counter setup of PSO. In PSP2, it was just a list of games already in progress that you selected from and you jumped right into a party on Clad-6.

I liked the PSP2i system a lot more than PSP2's or the Direct Connection since it let you chat with people first before joining a game with them. Especially if there are cheats or exploits like there were on PSO which couldn't effect you in the lobby - but once you were in a game/pioneer 2 - you were vulnerable.

The only thing that sucked was that you had to chat with the PSP's shitty OSK. There's no symbol chat, and no option to use an external keyboard. The best you have is a list of pre-programmed dialog conditions you can customize.

There were also billboards in the lobbies of PSP2i which featured advertisements for PSO2, seasonal decorations, and fan-art for special events. I think those were pulled off of the matchmaking server, since if you had a bad connection - they sometimes wouldn't display properly.

Dunno what else they might have been tied to that would be missing if you just connected directly.

Is it possible to play this game solo then? I don't care much for "chan culture" faggots, but this game looks comfy.

Yeah sure. The game even has a solo-mode, but some of the quests are limited to multiplayer-mode, although you can play "solo" in multi-mode, you'd just have to level up further to tackle the content than you would in a 4-man party (multiplayer-mode monsters have higher stats).

Alright, I'll give it a shot. Thanks

Well, before I get too far and screw something up, like I did with my first PSO2 character-

What sort of Mag should I be trying to build as a RAcaseal?

Just a heads-up for those interested, free S-rank contest.

pioneer2.net/community/index.php?threads/competition-time-win-an-s-rank.2135/

For starters a 5/150/45/0 should suffice. Maybe for min/maxing later, you'll need to make a new one perfectly suited to your preferences+gear.

Don't worry if you mess up too much, more mags are pretty easy to get from drops. What said is a good basic set up, you might want to try to get the twins PB so you have a way to buff when soloing as well.

I burned myself out on Ephinea back around January but it's good to hear (at least I think) it's still running strong after Schthack got their server up and running again.

Seconding this, and if possible make it a Savitri, Diwari, or Nidra. The biggest reason this is an excellent starter mag regardless of character is because it's one of the fastest mags to grow to level 200. Once you've got a full powered mag and established some breathing room it's much less stressful to build a more time-consuming autistic mag on the side.

How is the english patch?
I only care for menu/items, not the story, is this thing playable at this point?

Oh, nice, so I'm not limited to one mag per character without a goddamn cash shop?

Well that is true, unless he is a Force…but then I expect players starting out to pick Hunters or Rangers at first.

Schthack lost the throne (they even have a "hacking allowed" mode now) and luckily Ephinea seems to be the one picking up the slack.

Last time I checked, menu/items were done, not so descriptions and maybe some exceptions.

Nope, there is n cash shop in PSO and you can have as many mags as they can fit in your bank/inventory.

I would recommend that mag even if starting a Force, because the ideal casting Force mag (putting as many points as possible into Mind) also happens to be one of the most time-consuming mags to make. Starting out as a Force hinging on a Mind mag from zero funds is suffering.

IMO, as long as you sell everything you see its fine. Specially since at first FOs rely on just being frailer melee hunter until they get enough techs.

Plus players actually starting for their first time as a FO is pretty rare.

They even drop from Mines

Making a force as a first character is a horrible idea - I got mine to level 23 then went and started a hunter immediately because I was out of money and couldn't afford restoration items, plus killing things was an absolute drain on my TP

I fucking hate hacks like that. What's wrong with releasing work in progress? Monhun p3rd benefited greatly from that, even though translation never was finished, these fuckers can go shoot themselves.

I remember reading about this game in magazines as a kid and being interested but never getting into it. I tried PSO2 but it's too weaboo for my tastes. Like, PSO 1 looks way toned down compared to PSO 2, and I like that.

What was the discord link for? It says that it expired. I would love to try this game out.

I got the game fired up and an account made
So which character should I choose if I want to be a guy who can use healing techs and weapon attacks? Does HUmar or RAmar do that? I get the impression that RAmar is a jack of all trades

Hunters are propped up as the beginner class, but honestly, I think Rangers are the easiest beginner class. They do a bit less damage, sure, and can't dish it out as fast - but you're able to get the attack patterns down while still staying well out of the way of enemy counter-attacks. It's also much easier to target enemy weakpoints more consistently, without having to wait for the AI cycles or until you can do enough damage otherwise to stun them.

Consequentially, you end up taking a lot less damage and relying on healing or other restorative items much less, which means you can put that money back to buying better gear. Especially if you're playing a CAST and don't have any version of RESTA to fall back on.

You'll also spend much of your time with a gun out, and if you're a CAST, you really shouldn't ever have to worry about traps as a Ranger.

Which version of the game are you playing? Blue Burst, I assume?

Casts can't use Techniques at all, so you'll want to stick to Human or Newmen. Generally, the females (Caseals) have better support techs. Higher level caps for those techs, backed by greater MST. I don't have a ton of experience with Blue Burst, but in Ep I & II, the HUmar's Resta was pathetic. You'd have to cast two or three times in a row to refill your HP. RAmar wasn't much better.

You'd be better off with either a HUnewearl or RAmarl… and between the two, I think RAmarl had the better buffs/debuffs, while HUnewearl had the better healing techs. They're both lvl 20 capped though, so you probably won't notice that much of a difference between them - though HUnewearl has generally better MST.

HUnewearl probably sounds like the class you'd want, or RAmarl if you like ranged combat.

Don't try to tech with HUmar/RAmar. At a max of only lvl 15 - the only techs you should use with them are things with status conditions - like GiBarta which can freeze surrounding enemies. But even then, it'll be tougher to get them to apply. Anti is still pretty useful for curing yourself of status effects - but to heal others, you'll need to be basically right on top of them.

Er… ignore that. newearls/marls is what I meant. Caseals is female cast. Cant' use techs.

Thanks. I think HUnewearl is the class for me

Please don't, HUnewearl is fucking shit

It fit the profile of with what he wanted to play. He didn't ask for the best class to min-max, he didn't ask for the best class to solo ultimate with. He asked for a Melee/Healer class. If he doesn't like it, he'll find out soon enough and make a different character.

Personally, I'd recommend a Melee FOnewearl, which are not at all optimal - but are challenging and a blast to play. Solo mode is easy enough that build quality doesn't really matter that much, and in multi-mode - you'll get few complaints from team-mates since it requires you to pay extra close attention to support teching. Since FO's aren't divided into specialized support/offensive roles - most FO players stick to offensive techs, with support as an afterthought - and thus, can't be counted on.

It's an advanced novelty build though, and not worth attempting until you have other characters to hunt materials/weps/disks/units/etc and feed mags for them.

Is it still possible to buy a legit copy of PSO?

Also, please repost Discord link. OP's invite link expired.

Here you go.
discord.gg/010NN4N1NjMVTDUm7

Honestly, HUcasts and RAcasts are so boring to playand sadly, they tend to attract the worst attitudes on PSO players.

Its cool if I make three separate accounts, one for nomal, hardcore, and sandbox right?

They allow you to tie all those to the same e-mail, even.

Decided to join the server because why the fuck not?

Last I played PSO it was on Gamecube offline. I was a FOmar. Probably wasn't the best choice for a first play through.

Debating whether or not I want to go RAcast or HUcast and bus through the game until I hit VH or Ultimate before making another character.

Also are there any decent FOmar builds or is FOmar just a shit class?

FOmar makes for a decent melee force.

FOmar makes for decent melee, yeh, you'll have a nice little mix of offensive capabilities up close and using techniques. I would recommend against making a force as your first character, though, as you're going to get drained of fucking money buying all your fluids.

That's since they're probably the class with the highest potential

Also, sorry that the Discord link is expired - join it here discordapp.com/invite/010NN4N1NjMS6V8gN

I remember. Early game fluids were a money sink and made leveling with suck gear hell. It did get me into the habit of not buying weapons and armor in the shop anymore.

Also I tried the Claiming a Stake quest in the solo room. It seems Kireek is missing. Are the single player story quests broken or is it just me?

Uh…. I would post on the forums about that one.

Kireek is the Cast that helps you in Battle Training. You don't have anyone helping you in Claiming a Stake. Unless you mean the npc you're supposed to rescue.

i am tired of this "PSU level design is boring!" bullshit. all of the levels, every single one of them, are much better than the PSO maps. they aren't mazes, they aren't the same exact room repeated fifty times, the bosses aren't all just the same fucking boss you just defeated last chapter, the enemies aren't all just reskins (they had the courtesy to not even try to hide the fact they were reusing the same fucking enemies). i don't get it at all. all PSU maps featured entirely unique areas for every single room, something you wouldn't find in PSO beyond some bullshit secret behind a wall-less texture

I picked the wrong quest then.

Herp derp.

It's literally been years since I played PSO2.

I suppose the administration office is empty on purpose. I need to make a ranger with the right ID and color for the MAG I want.

Is this even supposed to be bait?

is this your argument or are you just trying to target me with malicious support from your goons

FUCK

The first game in my life I ever spent over a thousand hours on. At least the first one to keep track and tell me so.

And then delete my save data with a shitty double-save feature that glitches with depressing regularity.

I'd have had a level 200 character if I didn't have to restart my data repeatedly.

Also if I'd ever actually played online. My highschool friends and I had enough people playing that we'd run two Gamecubes with 4 players each at the same time, but apparently you have to be online to get XP worth a damn.

In honor of my multi-dubs in both post number and ID, as well as in penance for accidentally redtexting what should have been a spoiler at the end, have some PSO concept art.

There's a Mumble for that.

Holy fuck, let this last. I've got work in the morning.

Drybones pls go

Don't know who you're talking about, but Mumble is superior.

And lastly, the 25th Anniversary Live Orchestra "Sympathy".

Oh, mumble is run by someone who isn't trust worthy.

I've heard that a particular person of Jewish heritage hated someone who was on there, but none of us who play games on there know or care enough -we just emjoy the service.

Understandable I suppose. I just don't trust Drybones since I'm a GGfag. also how many people are currently on it?

Right now there's 10 this late at night. During weekends there are a lot more. People usually bring their own friends and play. Not all of us talk to one another or interact, we just sort of do our own thing with our own crowds. My guys will be on this weekend and we'll have maybe 8 or 10 for our game.

alright, just curious

Ended up making a loli RAcaseal with the Pinkal ID because why not?

Plus with this outfit her mag is pink. I can't wait until I make a pink Sato MAG.

Wish I can find a shotgun though.

Because Pinkal is suited to Force characters.
Exactly.

I made the character with the intent of raising mags over loot. Right now I want to make the mag first then I'll make the force.

While you can shill for Ephinea, I commend you for that, but I don't see any of the server's traits viable for someone who plays it casually or even endgame.

Normal drop rates are terrible, do you even have happy hours for 3x exp?

The game is getting old and so are you. Don't settle for bad drop rates and other things just to get a "classic" feel. You will never get the items you want. People will be busy and you will hardly group up to hunt an item for you, that's how the game is, it favors solo play. That's why people do 2 accounts and play solo to gear yourself with a favorable ID for whatever hunt/event.

Ultima server: decent drop rates in happy hour which is 3x drop rates. There currently isn't pso2 style drops, and let me explain why that is bad. A chance for 4 rare drops sounds nice, but the drop rate actually DECREASES per number of players in the room at the time. 4 Players means drop rates scale down horrendously low, so you pretty much need to play a quest 4 times as much just to get the same rates as soloing.

People abuse pso2 style to log 4 accounts in and pick up items in rooms that way. It statistically is better than pso1 style drops, but only by a little bit, and autists use it to rig the game in their favor.
—————
The Ultima server has the summer event in 5 days. Centurion/Battle drops giving 110% combat speed boost, which makes Hunters 100 times more viable and fun. Dark Flow is unlocked so you can actually feel good with end game weapons. SJS drop rate is raised to 1/10,300 (which still takes 2+months to hunt). This means happy hour rates give it 1/3,000, which would still take 1.5 months of using every happy hour (average 1 a day), approximately 50+ hours of hunting.

You will never get an SJS, red rings will take you forever with 1% rates, etc etc. See my point? I remember you shilled Ephinea like 6 months ago. In about the past 3 months I played Ultima and got these things by hunting solo and sometimes with another player: I got a Red Ring (saw 3 drop and haven't done the hunt alot), 5 Lame D's hunting Pioneer Spirit in a month, like 25 V502's, Limiter, 6-8 v101's, S-Red's blade (dropped, 1/500 sinow reds), S-Rank Zalure Gun (did C-Mode in a span of 2 weeks with guys), 2 Mother Garb+, etc.

My HUcaseal jumped to lvl 199 from 140 in 2 months easily. I have probably 6-8 characters with different ID's ready for Ult hunts. Ultima does a lot of things better in my opinion, and progression is possible even when soloing.

If anyone is down to try PSO1 jump on Ultima and i'll gear the hell out of you, and help you maybe. By the way about 80 people play in peak time, and come summer event it'll probably jump to 130-150 players peak time.

If you want to see how an endgame Hunter plays on Ultima with combo-unlocked Dark Flow, here you go.

He uses S-Rank JCutters with hell special to kill the plant enemies, Dark Flow to kill machine enemies, etc, if anyone is wondering what those things are.

That's a Dom's Giant Bazooka

Yes, it is. A zaku machinegun with no stock and the gelgoog's beam naginata are in too.

Very disappointingly, there are sometimes these stupid weekend events with increased drop rates and experience rates. Thankfully, you can turn that faggotry off and play with the proper vanilla drop rates and experience the game was well-designed around.

shit, I need to start playing again for those

Its empty because you are in a quest.

Then what are you waiting for?

You forgot to mention you can just pay for anything you want in Ultima, making non-payers pointless since the payers will always cuck the economy.

And even ignoring that, the rest of your copypasta post fails to understand that getting loot so easily eliminates the reason for players to even bother in the first place.

I can smell how gay you are.

You will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever get your endgame weapon. Good luck finding an SJS with its 1/20,000+ drop rate. I'm not going to spend 3x hours of my time just to find shit just to say "hey look I did it guise". It's 2000+16, I've played the game enough in the past, I don't need a vanilla drop rate experience, korean grinding is not fun, nor is monotonous hunting. Time attacks/hunting with friends is the only fun, and most of that is only when you have the best gear.

The game wasn't design to have that drop rate with only 30 people playing the game. The economy was designed to have thousands of hunters for each ID. Weapons flow in economy, prices drop, people trade and barter easily.

You can't buy endgame weapons out of thin air in Ultima anymore. You have to hunt SJS/Dark weapons. If you want to pay in donation tickets and trade it for a Dark weapon ($200+) then you are retarded. I haven't spent a penny on the game and have sold plenty of equipment to get 200+ PD's to trade and barter for things I need. My FO has a psycho wand, MG+, adept, and all the good things, my HU has everything except a few S-Ranks and Dark weapons, which can only be hunted come christmas time.

Question, how do you guys hunt event-only endgame items? Do you have events turned on? Stuff like Asteron Striker, proof of sonic team (that drops right?), rambling may (valentines), easter eggs/halloween eggs/christmas eggs?

Remind me, can you wield two lightsabers in the original PSO?
Or was that PSU thing?

You could, but you couldn't wield two sabers. They were their own weapon category. Though some single sabers you could combine into a dual saber - like Sange & Yasha.

Actually, Dual Sabers were their own weapon class in PSU as well. There were no off-hand sabers that I'm aware of.

You could do that in PSP2. One-handed weapons could be paired to another one-handed weapon, so you could go pistol-saber, saber-wand, wand-shield, or whatever.

Really, the entire franchise was at its height, equipment-wise, in PSP2. Any class could use any weapon, it just took more to get there. And there were a mountain of weapon types. Seriously, look at all these. psp2.psupedia.info/Special%3ASearch/Weapons.html That R-Mag weapon listed under Ranged? Auto-turret MAGs that shoot over your shoulder. And you could equip proper tower shields you could time your blocks with or even bash with. And the Vanguard class was amazing fun. An entire skillset built around being fast and laying traps.

Always hated that techniques had to be mapped to weapons, though.

Fuck. I might have to dig out my .iso.

You could only pair a main hand with an off hand weapon. is right, there were no off hand sabers, just dual sabers.

Oh, you're right, now that you mention it. I'd misremembered, thinking that single-handed weapons were slot-agnostic.

Oh well.

as a BR i only throw hues

bumping the thread. Do you think there are any popular private servers on the console versions of PSO?

I remember SHITHACK has private Gamecube/Dreamcast servers. I think they even had an Episode 3 server.

Stopped playing their server after I found out that they were essentially "donate to win".

In what sense? I didn't notice any differences while playing, other than maybe an increased EXP rate. You talking about the unobtainable items?

Yeah, they went tull Jew and locked most of the good stuff behind donations.

No they didn't. The cause for controversy was that they started giving out rewards for donations. And I'm not sure that ever applied to the GCN/v2 players either, I think that might have just been Blue Burst. Cube players have always been pretty purist.

Who cares? Charge Vulcan with hit% is the most powerful weapon in the game anyway. Anything other than that is just fashion, vanity and something to aim for while grinding.

Any decent list of "appropriate levels" for missions? Or recommendations as what to be doing to level up?

What are you talking about? For Hunter's Guild quests? Once you know the flow of the game, it's rarely a question of "am I the right level," and becomes more about "how long will this take me at this level?" It's a matter of perseverance. However, because of this, the exception is missions with bosses, which you can still wind up at despite being at a level where they'll 1HKO you.

wew

I remember playing this on the SEGA servers back then.

What's the playerbase mostly comprised of for Ehpinea? It looks a lot like returning PSO veterans to me.

Where are most of you fags playing?

Ephinea.

It seems to have a good mixture. I mean, many people had played it in DC or GC, but even those are technically noobs when compared to actual PSOBB veterans.

Haven't played this in a while. Keyboard controls are throwing me off.

any anons online? Also, how do you set up the number shortcuts?

For Ultima server it's nowhere near close to being the strongest weapon.
Also, the game is for situational weapons if you never played psobb. Vulc's won't do anything when there's 35 mobs spawning at once in a room.
TJS is situational in where you use it's special to hit every mob in the room and pretty much KO an entire wave.
Dark Flow is for a lot of things, hell jcutter is for multi killing weak dark resist mobs. Charge vulc is for hitting single targets at long range, very situational and isn't used for 90% of occasions.

They changed their server about 3 weeks ago and it's been stable for a while. When's the last time you played there 3 years ago? Most of the time there are never any connection problems. Also there is no lag in my recent memories.

Go to Customize in options, and when you select something in there press 1-9 0 to put it on the hotkey bar.

Yeah, they copied some of Ephinea's work and removed some of the anti-hacking stuff. You can pretty much do as you please with items atm.

Confirmed for worthless anti-team player. TJS/Berdysh's special is a complete and utter waste of Photon Blast that could be better put into pumping 20 more levels into Mylla and Youlla's Shift and Deband for not just yourself but your entire team. The stat gains from a chained Photon Blast are far more useful than eliminating a single wave of enemies. Anyone who wastes their gauge on crap like that has no idea how to play the game. I'm not surprised that Ultima's fucked around with drop rates and exp results in players like that sadly.

bump

Alrighty, I guess I'll start downloading this to play when PSO2 goes into mait tonight.

I played about a month ago, actually. Right before I dropped it for Ephinea

I got back into PSO, IGN is JonZaks

As in JonZaks that fight the Federation's Jims

I just got a Ranged Cast rolled up, is there any particular ship you guys hang out on? Any usual lobbies?

Fodra block 3 starting a newbie room

u wot

Block 1, my bad

I am in love with the shop music currently. it's practically the theme to the entire game for me.