I think I've finally figured out what the fuck Bethesda is doing

I think I've finally figured out what the fuck Bethesda is doing.

They've just been purposely making their games progressively worse, so retards look back on the previous games and think "Wow, that's a lot better than what they just released, what great games!"

Where were you when the RPG genre died?

I think they just see that fuckwits buy their games regardless and don't bother making an effort.

Why waste time and money on fixing features that need work when you can remove them outright, call it streamlining and let the nimrods do the job for you?

That being said, Witcher 3 seems to have done some damage. Their fanbase actually played a game with decent writing for once, and are old enough to retain some memories of Oblivion and Skyrim, that they've actually labeled FO4 a failure with many a "feature" they don't like.

What makes me really mad is to see such a dedicated modding community wasted on subpar games made by the laziest, most untalented developer in the industry.

I don't know, it was like 10 years ago

Why is he so perfect, Holla Forums?

RPGs were long dead by then user.

Because a game with nothing is very easy to mod and add more playability to it.

Take a game with a lot of things to do in it, for example Terraria, and you don't see many mods for it. Then you look at Starbound. Shit game, but a decent amount of mods. Minecraft too.

Modding all has to do with how much there is to do in the base game.

It also helps that Terraria has no mod support. Also note that at various points there were Minecraft-esque jury-rigged mod APIs around for the game, and during those periods there were lots of mods being created.

or its reaching for a wider audience, what happens when the general public doesn't enjoy any deep engrossing games and only play angry birds and bejeweled on their cellphones? you "streamline" your game mechanics as close as you can to being braindead so the idiot who plays match 3 or bird slingshots all day can get some enjoyment.

Yup, just go see a list of "essential" mods to make Skyrim and the line not complete dogshit. Not that it's actually worth it since the writing is ass anyway.

Sure, but also with how open to modding the game is. Bethesda had been smart enough, at least up until Skyrim, not to fuck with things too much because they wanted to give modders a familiar environment to mod in.

That, and I suspect, the fact they're too lazy and stupid to actually make Gamebryo not shit itself.

What are the truest RPG's that give you the most freedom to sculpt the world around you and choice?

I think Alpha Protocol is unparalleled in terms reactivity and choice and consequence. New Vegas is a close second, albeit with large parts of the game unfinished.

Witcher 2 did something very few games ever do, having a very large chunk of the gameplay locked behind choices, and thus inaccessible depending on what you pick.

Look just buy the new DLC already, I have debts to pay off!

Had to cut off half the world and yet it's still one of the biggest computer role-playing games ever.

This is what you get when you select genre rpg on fageam

haha who said girls don't play videogames

You're being ripped off by the jews at Zionmax, Todd.

RPGs have been glorified visual novels and braindead sanbox crap for nearly 20 years now.

but Todd, you can't pay your debt to Satan in cash.

One can only hope Bethesda ups their ante after FO4 didn't get the universal praise their previous games did. Seems their fanbase is starting to get tired of their constant simplifications and rehashes.

And really, to fix this Bethesda would need to seriously revamp their engine, or start from scratch and build the game from the ground up with modding in mind. Short term it would hurt the modding scene, long term it would future proof their subsequent games.

They also need to drop VA-ing the shit out of everything. That severely limits the width and variety of interactions you can have, and stop aping BioWare.

For gameplay they need to remember they're making RPGs, not shitty shooters.

I guarantee you even this drivel has more depth in the c&c department than Bethesda RPGs.

If it's not paid it's not happening :^)

they're not intentionally making their games worse so the old ones look better. They're progressivly putting less and less effort in to see what they can get away with and still get GOTY 10/10 and a million fat sweaty cosplayers at PAX or comiccon or whatever.

If you worked really hard on something, spent 20 hours a day every day for a month making it, and it came out and everyone said it was great, you'd be happy.

If you then did it again, but this time only worked 8 hours a day, and everyone said it was EVEN BETTER BEST YET GOTY 11/10. Then why the hell would you go back to working 20 hours a week?

This is the story of Bethesda and every other company that becomes so successfull their own corperate branding becomes a meme.

What they have is a decently sized autistic community, normalfag praise/attention and a subversive internet/social media viraling marketing team.

They've perfected this shit now and even people here fall for it.

I know Bethesda is run by greedy Jews and untalented hacks like the Toddler, but even they should be aware of what a gamble paid modding is.

Mere hours after Steam introduced that shit the whole community was going up in flames with accusations of stolen content, endless drama and 99% of paid mods being reskins and recolors of shitty armors.

Paid mods will kill the modding scene, which I guess would be poetic justice for the likes of Bethesda.

Its like Call of Duty post 2007 pre 2010

maybe they wanted paid mods on Steam to fail that way they can make their own, more controlled paid modding scene that gets rid of all that totally not expected baggage and swoop in like they saved the whole thing from failure.

They are slowly lowering standards so that they are easier met.
I'm convince that people are trying the industry crash-proof by making standards retardedly low.

But FO4 caused a considerable amount of grumbling among their community. People didn't like it, kept comparing it to Skyrim and finding it losing in the comparison, to say nothing of the fact that it had to compete with Witcher 3 in terms of presentation and writing, on top of making plenty of people angry with the push for paid mods.

I think Bethesda seriously overreached with FO4.

I sincerely doubt it. I mean, it's clear they are cooking up their own distribution platform, but all that is going to achieve is piss off a massive number of modders and fans and kill the modding scene.

I mean, think it through. If mods are paid then all mod compilations, or mods borrowing code and assets from each other, or cooperating to make them compatible cease, because all that shit is now monetized and nobody is gonna make the effort if shekels aren't in the bargain.

This also kills any complex and ambitious mods. Why bother making that shit when you can just sell armors and recolors and roll in cash?

If you look at how they code it's extremely clear they are not aware of anything. Do not assign agency to Bethesda. There is no plan. They have no idea what they are doing.

the best bit of paid mods 1.0 was that INSTANTLY all the worse case scenarios happened.

Like everything that you could possibly concieve of going wrong with that plan, and theres a lot, went down in the first 10 or so mods on the first day.

I sometimes wonder if the normalfags would've been so against it if it hadn't had gone so perfectly wrong.

Do elaborate. I'm actually morbidly curious to understand the kind of retardation that goes on under the hood of Bethesda games.

something tells me Bethesda's idea of paid mods would be more of a commissioning contract than actual paid mods. they rake up any modders who make something with over 100k downloads or whatever and make partnerships with them so they can now make official stuff for less than half the cost.

You allready know what Bethesda's idea of paid mods is. They allready tried it.

I'm talking about on their own platform.

They'll just repeat the same shit. No way are they gonna bother wasting time to curate that shit. The place will feature more scammers and drama than a Jewish wedding.

Hold up asshole, is this THE savage? The one nuclear dawn and natural selection tried to ape and failed miserably?

Yes, and it's shit

Probobly:

1)whoever gets a mod onto the service first owns it, regardless of who made it

2)you have no right to technical support or any expectations that these mods will work once you've bought them. Good luck testing anon2365's replacement albert the alchemist skin against all your other mods before you buy

3)Mods cost 1 dollar, no wait 2. No wait 5! (we'll keep going untill you stop paying)

4)we get 95% of all revenue from anything sold on our store. We deserve it since we made these games so perfect that you want to mod them so much!

5)Once a mod is up on our server we technically own it and you have no rights to it.

That's fucking retarded. Why would they want new releases to look worse on purpose? They are trying to make money, and new games at full price make them the most money (plus the new dlc of course). I'm sure they just know that people are going to buy their shit even if it isn't very good so they don't try to push for higher quality at the core level of the gameplay.

Zenimax bought them out fam.

Fallout 4 is a better game though, since Skyrim was so boring.

They already steal all the cool ideas modders come up with anyway. Outright robbing them and giving them the middle finger is merely an extension of that.

FUCK

It looks better and the they at least put some effort into the map, otherwise it's a complete failure. It tries to be a shooter but fucks it up spectacularly.

B-but gays are an even smaller demographic than women

The only good thing in Fo4 was the crafting system and power armour, everything else was a step backwards.

you can squeeze more money out of a faggot than a woman because faggots don't have to take care of kids. neither do women if you count alimony but still

I fucking hate what Bethesda did to Fallout, but compared to the shitfests that were Oblivion and Skyrim, I'd much, much rather play FO3 and NV. Oblivion with Guns somehow managed to turn out to be more tolerable to play than Oblivion itself. Can't tell you why, but having playing Oblivion and Fallout 3 (via Tale of Two Wastelands), Bethesda made TES more insufferable to play than it made Fallout, even though Fallout is nothing more than a shell of its former self.

I haven't played Fallout 4, so I don't know if they managed to turn the tables and make a video game a record insufferable to play, but at the same time, I don't want to find out.

There's nothing wrong with FO4 tbh, except for the level scaling and scavenging for repairs. Oh, and the performance issues, but at least it worked on multi core processors better than any other Beth games and doesn't crash. The level design is pretty good, the AI is a huge improvement, and the combat is fun.

They should've gotten rid of the leveling system altogether to fix the bullet sponge enemies and let it become a more sandbox arcade shooter version of STALKER. I'd wholeheartedly buy that for 60 bucks.

Not really. Exploration is less boring and has a purpose, unlike Oblivion, FO3, and Skyrim. The level design is better than any Beth games. The gunplay is satisfying. Sure, if you're looking for a good RPG with elaborate character interactions, you won't find it here. It's just an open world FPS game with a few RPG elements.

The crafting system was done better in MGSV, and New Vegas already has a superior mod that does a better job of simulating power armor.

Faggots have to pay for AIDS medicine.

probably because you can actually level up without getting weaker and characters don't randomly die or go on murder rampages.

There's plenty wrong with the story, the companions, the lack of depth, the settlement management, the non-existent difficulty, the bullet sponge enemies, the shit voice acting, the godawful interface, etc.

Think very, very carefully before you keep posting.

Get the fuck out of here

You mean extremely dumbed down Hidden and Dangerous 2? Nah, I'd rather play a genre that was nonexistant a decade ago.

I have addressed most of those problems in my post. Read again.

:joy: :ok_hand:

Stop defending Borderlands with Radiation.
You're not going to find anyone on your side here. For your own sake, stop.

No, it's Future Shock with open world.

No, its Past Shit with walking

I think he might be talking about the insane amount of bugs each game has.

If only it were a Fallout RPG.

I'm aware that Skyrim actually features bugs that have been carried over game to game since Morrowind.

NV is the best Fallout ever made.

like what?

Nothing wrong with NV tbh

IIRC issues with shadows. It was a long time ago and I can't really remember, but I recall some user talking about it to some length back when Skyrim had first been released.

I prefer 1's combat system. Haven't gotten to play 2, but I hear it's even better than 1.

NV is a good game which somehow survives on the shit foundation Bethesda laid out, but it still lacks what the original game had.

I don't know if it's just because of T2WL, but I've come across shit like Super Mutants at level 1 just by dicking around in Fallout 3. If there is level scaling, at least there's some shit outside of my level range spawning in places. Makes the world feel a little bit more real, compared how jarring Oblivion's scaling was.

there are super mutants for every level range in 3. they're pretty much that game's equivalent of the elites from Halo.

also, as far as I can remember no actually new enemies show up in 3 as you level up. it's just more powerful versions of what was already there, like albino scorpions or bigger robots.

not like in Oblivion were enemies were categorized by species and you went up the food chain so to speak as you leveled up.

They're all the same though - they're all barely RPGs and more like open-world action/FPS games. Hell, Skyrim and Fallout 4 are just slightly better as RPGs just because their systems work as intended and aren't as broken as Oblivion's.

Except there's just as little purpose to it - the only advantage to exploring is getting sick "loot" and random junk for your settlement.
Compared to the former Fallout? Maybe, but that's not saying much at all. It's still pretty bad.
Reassess your taste.

True, but cash can be used to hire hookers for sacrifices.

What is with this forced meme of an explanation "Zenimax is the one responsible" for defending Bethesda's garbage? This appears in every single thread here.

Given the limited staff at Zenimax, it makes me think its now a shell company now.

Zenimax was always a shell company. It's just Bethesda's branch that handles the business end of their shit making business, and I suspect a convenient scapegoat to use to avoid negative criticism from besmirching Bethesda's pristine reputation.

They're incredibly good at avoiding controversy, despite being as bad, or worse, than EA.

Yeah, nice try, Todd. Get the fuck out, go fish for sympathy elsewhere, you dumb manlet.

Zenimax is a shell company for Bethesda. This is well known. Zenimax was founded by Bethesda not the other way around, Bethesda was then taken over by coup from inside, the jew Altman drove the company into the ground and brought them to their knees. They blame all the bad shit they do on Zenimax. Its the classic "blame the publisher"

Come on, boy. At least put some effort on it, that was really weak.

I'll be honest, I'm still fucking stunned at how badly FO4 backfired. I have friends who seriously took a week off of work just to play through FO4, and the disappointment in their eyes after day 1 was so palpable I almost felt bad for them. It says something that they went to playing other games for the rest of their time off.

The problem with that theory is Morrowind was a great game at release, unlike Oblivian it didn't rely to the next TES being worse to make it look better.

I think the major reason it backfired so colossally is how intertwined gameplay and story are. In previous Bethesda games, while you did have a "job" that define what your mission in the game was, it didn't define what your character was.

The Lone Wanderer or the Dovahkiin are merely the cast through which character creation is molded. Fallout 4 instead defines who you are, it limits your past to being a father/mother and constantly bombards you with emotional pleas to care for character that you "interacted" with for all of ten minutes.

What's worse, the whole game, both thematically and narratively (main and side quests) is about reminding you that you had a shitty family. And Bethesda's strength is not writing, not at all.

Why they thought making the PC an adult with a family was a good idea is beyond me, and it shows how badly they mangled it when even the most hardcore drones voice their complaints. The only way to fix it is beyond them, because the game is so warped around its central story it leaves no space for "role playing" (or in-game LARPing as I call it).

bad writing aside the voice acting sounded so low energy and phoned in for 4. sure, they got actual professionals this time around but it didn't sound like anyone actually gave a shit and the raiders especially just sound either bored or mildly annoyed. they don't sound anywhere near as insane as they did in 3 or NV.

Fallout 4 isn't an RPG. It's an FPS with a simple leveling system (that is ultimately fairly meaningless as enemies level with you) and some minor crafting/building elements.

And I say this as someone who enjoys Fallout 4 because of what it is, not someone who disparages it for what it's not. It's a Bethesda game that plays exactly like a Bethesda game; you knew exactly what you were going to get, so you can't even pretend as if they tricked you or lied to you or you expected something else.

is what you're doing. Don't you realize how retarded that is?

Go replay Mass Effect 3 if you want to remember what happens when developers put "writing" above gameplay.

Fallout 4 lets you go around a wasteland shooting people with customizable guns or bashing their skulls open with a pipe wrench like you're the dude from Take On Me, with only a paper-thin plot to hold it together. That's pretty much all there is to it, and I find that to be pretty fun because I don't take it seriously.

Fo4 voice acting goes from ok to terribad
Previous games were just mediocre all around, at least then when it was awful it didnt sound so bad.

>>>/reddit/

Or, you know, New Vegas.

That's what they do. It's not role playing if the game/system isn't reacting to you, it's make believe. Role playing relies on whatever ruleset is applied to have mechanisms to recognize what the player is attempting to do, check his chances of success based on his stats and "print out" an outcome.

Bethesda games barely bother with stat checks in dialogue, let alone having complex AI patterns that are able to recognize and react to what players are doing. Modders routinely put them to shame.

Do you have actual, non-hyperbolic autism?

Look, you autistic drone, I was being sarcastic. What Bethesda fans like to call role playing is actually just make believe. It's all in their heads because the games are in no way equipped to interpret what they are trying to do.

Vidya RPGs were still-born, because they were made before you could put an AI in every NPC and put a sophisticated language understanding engine in the game.

Basically, if you can't say whatever you want with the exact words you want, you aren't playing an RPG, you're playing a slow action game with D&D's stat system.

Also since the tools don't exist to make content in real time over the internet and this you can't have a DM equivalent.

Yep, this. There is no video game that is RPG.

Yeah, it's not like they cut the budget of the main game to make a multiplayer portion, see also: focusing on gameplay.

Why are you even posting on this website?

This is probably my biggest gaming feel. Just imagine what could be done if Bethesda weren't in charge of these IPs. TES game with Dragons' Dogma tier magic and Dark Souls/M&B/Chivalry melee combat with Thief/Splinter Cell stealth, written competently with lots of depth and branching quest lines.

Dude, it's slow and boring af.

The open world and dialogs are fun, but too much memes and bugs. And the game is hard as hell, harder than 1.

NV crashes a LOT and has a garbage corridor shooter level design that makes you get lost ALL THE TIME, but otherwise it's perfect. The only thing it's lacking from the original game is the comfortable dialog UI that could fit more text.

That jew Robert Altman is more to blame of course, but he's the one who owns Zionmax, sooo….

Chris Weaver did nothing wrong.

NV has that too, but the exploration felt like shit. Searching for junk has to be coupled with good level design.

For you.

Really hampered by the engine - imagine if it could have been a more fully realized immersive sim, but yeah.

how do you even fuck up this hard?

Nice try, Todd.

Except this will never be the case solely due to what Oblivion did to this industry.

It's been ten years since Oblivion came out. A decade has passed since horse armor. Think about that.

Kids who were six when Oblivion came out are now sixteen. Publishers have been pushing DLC down their throats for their ENTIRE LIFE. They've been conditioned to think that there it's either a good thing, or that DLC being a part of a game is just how it is and that there's no alternative. They can't remember a time back when you unlocked things in-game for free, because they don't fucking know any better.

Oblivion and the practices that followed it are responsible for ruining an entire generation. Never again are you going to see someone under twenty that thinks DLC is a negative point for a video game. You and me are a dying breed.

this won't make me buy any bethesda game ever you fucking shill

I thought Fallout 4 was okay, but I've lapsed from playing any games lately so never finished it working out, watching anime, and trying to get a job. New Vegas was really good minus the bugs caused by the shitty engine and the unfinished Legion.

Oblivion would have been better if there had been more specialization and faction requirements like Morrowind had. Never played Skyrim, but I may pick it up during the next Summer sale.

pirate it, spend too much time modding, and then quit after a few hours due to crashes or boredom, whichever comes first.

My problem for the game was the shit leveling compared to previous fallouts and a huge fucking let down for a story when you look at New Vegas, also no role playing, they already created their backstory for you, that's fucking lame

Either way the shooting is actually really nice and the AI is pretty good too, can't stand on rocks and just shoot them like you used to do

I think you need to take a break from the internet buddy.
>>>/out/