Is Ni No Kuni a good game?

Is Ni No Kuni a good game?

I'm asking because I don't like Ghibli movies, but I'm looking for jrpgs to play and would be willing to try it if it's good as a game at least.

The game itself is okay, if you've played Raidou its similar.

Don't bother then. A big part of its appeal is its aesthetic charm.

From a gameplay perspective, it's just ok. It's one of my favorite games, though, because playing it gave me a sense of childlike wonder. If you don't like Ghibli movies, you won't like it.

You should skip it if you don't like Ghibli.
Check out Eternal Sonata. It's an alright game that might interest you

it doesn't have a lot of character to it, it's basically just a really dull rpg with a really dull kid's story that doesn't even deliver on most of the foreshadowing it gets into, but with a ghibli skin modded in
basically the only thing to like about it is the fact that it looks like a ghibli movie. Although I would say that it doesn't actually feel like a ghibli movie

you've gotta be kidding me

It's a terrible game.

Do you like grinding like a motherfucker? If so, NNK may be the game for you!

The game is charming in presentation, yet mechanically obtuse. It has the current JRPG problem where the design team go, "Hey, let's make real time, team based combat but you have minimal control over your team mates and the AI is fucking retarded."

NNK would be great if it weren't for the thick layer of bullshit that so often gets in the way of actually playing the game. Even with this being said, I'd recommend giving it a shot. If you're a fan of JRPGs then it's likely that you're already accustomed to this particular brand of bullshit and either know how to work around it or actually enjoy it on some level.

I'm not

The gameplay is awful.
It's a dysfunctional combination of action-RPG and menu-based combat. It's not fun to fumble with the combat menu while running around an arena dodging attacks and collecting power-ups.
If this wasn't already bad enough the AI is awful, too. My AI companions always died within seconds when encountering a boss, which required me to kite the boss around the arena for minutes.
Apart from combat the monster collection gameplay isn't fun either. The newer monsters I caught could never quite catch up with the old monsters in terms of power.
The only redeeming factor this game has is the Studio Ghibli charm. If you don't like Ghibli, stay away. Even if you like Ghibli stay away. I can't come up with a JRPG with worse gameplay on the spot.

I put something like 20 hours into the game when it came out because I hoped it would get better with time.

no it's garbage. jRPG where you can't control the other party members. So I hope you like your healer spamming their most expensive spells as soon as you stub your toe and having no mana left for the boss fight.

Also it's a game based around you exploring a magic world and adding spells to your magic spell book. Which is great. Untill you beat a boss and it gives you like 5 spells at once, and they're all unusable.

One of them is invisibility. And immediatly after this you have to stealth your way into a castle. But you can't cast that invisibility spell you just got. Which pissed me off so much I never continued past that point.

The visuals are great, but everything else is dog shit.

I finished Ni No Kuni, although I don't hate it as much as some people do, it does have a lot of flaws you have to overlook. Some off the top of my head are:

- Terrible monster designs (worse than pokemon) making it no incentive for you to evolve them
- Terrible AI you have to keep a close eye on
- Halfway through the game, it becomes a lot harder when you have trouble even taking enemy mobs down, and the experience you gain just isn't enough to get you stronger which leads to…
-Grinding tokos, which are like the platinum slime of the game, then again if you do this, the whole game becomes terribly easy because you will be very overpowered from just grinding these creatures at selected spots

Another thing about this game is that the story is not bad but near the end it kinda pads out a bit too much.

Just came here to add to this, eternal sonata is great but for some people maybe the character design, horrible english voice acting might turn them off a bit but otherwise it's a fantastic game, really feels like how a dream should be.

Wrong way to describe

i never knew faggots like you live in this planet.

really? it felt ok, played coop with my brother. Would hold hands with Viola.

I really wish this game was just a dragon warrior turned based combat. The real time combat is pure horseshit as your party member AI is insufferable and useless.

why not user

How do you pronounce Ghibli anyway. I've heard people pronounce it three different ways

I've always pronounced it: Gi (like the belt) blee (like bleed)

That's how I pronounced it until I heard someone say "Jibbly" and felt silly, so I switched. Then I heard someone say "Gibbly" and I felt even sillier.

I agree with most people here. Everything about this game is fantastic except the gameplay. I really have no idea what they were thinking when they made such a weird combat system. It's baffling. You can tell they put a lot of work into it. How no one spoke up about how tedious and dull it is, is beyond me. I gave up after 15 hours. If you don't like Studio Ghibli, don't bother. The only reason to play this game is to get the story, atmosphere, and those amazing cutscenes. They're wasted on this game.

I just like the game way more than I should, don't exactly know why.

I like all the cute characters especially beat, (no bully), the surreal settings and story and the battle system was great, it was like a crossover of turn based and real time based combat, made grinding in this game actually fun to participate in.

It's Jibly.

But I have no idea why it's written Ghibli.

What how? I don't even like anime but Ghibli films are great. You have no soul if you can't enjoy an old Ghibli film.

Thanks for reminding me though OP. I really need to play this. I love Level 5 and I love Ghibli movies so I'll probably love this game.

I think you mean:

But that's wrong. The story, the characters, the music, the voice acting… All that stuff is spot on.

Ni no Kuni is an excessively comfy game that'll poke at your heart before dumping you into Yet Another JRPG Adventure.

So yeah its a good game. 40 hours in and enjoying, although Im a bit too into the gotta catch them all aspect.

It's honestly not good.

The only redeeming factor is the ghibli aesthetic.

Gameplay is awful and clunky. Story is cringeworthy all the way through.

THIS. This retarded trend needs to stop. I couldn't play any Tales of for more than 2 hours because of this garbage.

How do you guys think Ni No Kuni II will turn out?

Two other flaws I'd like to expand on:

- It holds your hand for around half the game.
- 2/3 of the way through the game the story has a weird disjointed shift where it changes tonally and starts going into the titular White Witch who was barely in the story at all up to that point.

I really enjoyed the game regardless and even the battle system which is usually what people bitch about, though it would have been massively better if you had more control over your party members.

They only did like three movies that weren't retreads of the same old rural princess vs industrialization and Miyazaki's lupin was shit, utter shit.

+Really fast battle load times
+Enemies appear on overworld
+Nice music and visuals
+Colourful, fun, lighthearted

~Battles are easy

-About 10 hours in the difficulty jumps to a ludicrous degree and I highly encourage abusing the games version of metal slimes to grind levels
-About 10 hours in the game drops off in pacing and quality, lots of fetch quests and running back and forth with next to no plot progression
-I could never actually beat the game because it'd crash on the final bosses cutscene attacks, it'd just crash my PS3

Then you'll hate it because the game is repetitive as shit. Tons of grinding, the pokemon mechanic is based on pure chance and you can't overwhelm it like pokemon does and when you get a good monster it can easily be broken.

The only reason to play it through is for the ghibli plot

Now get out and never come back again you tasteless cunt.

It's got most of the same Ghibli people working on it, but Ghibli itself is now basically defunct. Hopefully they fix how repetitive the first game was.

Literally 3 seconds on google, fuckin weebs basing everything on katana approximates

Well depends on which Ghibli. If it is actually a well done fantasy like Princess Mononoke then yea, thats fine… but if it has that shitty Chinese Disney feel like Spirited Away I'll fucking pass.

It's pronounced with a soft G or a "Jih" sound. It was actually a mistake, it was SUPPOSED to be a hard G or a "Guh" sound but the person who named it had no idea how to pronounce it and pronounced it with a soft G instead.

Both are technically correct but soft G is more correct.

What?