Beat 'm up games

So I finally got down to playing Golden Axe and Streets of Rage 2 thanks to the free copies Sega gave a while ago for steam, I can say after beating them I was very fond of the experience.

Outside of these 2 series of games, what other games are similar or even improved from these games?

Ok well, what kind of beat em up do you like, in terms of structure?

Most of Vanillaware stuff are solid beat em ups, but they're more complex and less conventional compared to Golden Axe and such.

Any will do and I'd look into getting them if I have a means to.

Odin is gonna get re-released next month with it's combat system improved, under the name Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (get the US version handled by Atlus, EU version is being shit handled by NISA), PS3, PS4 and vita.

Muramasa can be either emulated since it's on the Wii, or you can play the updated version only on the Vita unfortunately.

Dragon's Crown is on PS3 and Vita.

Hey a new one was released recently on steam: Princess Edge - Dragonstone.

Anyone played it? I'm interested.

Also, any beat 'em ups that qualify as cuhrayzee would be great.

Onikira, Aces Wild, Rainblood are all great.

Shit, sometimes I forget that there are people who didn't grow up with Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, and hadn't already beaten them so many goddamned times by the age of 20 that they are burned into memory.

One of these days, I'm going to be a gibbering Alzheimer ravaged wreck who can't remember the names of his grandkids, but Streets of Rage 2 will produce perfect clarity and I'll be tearing ass through it while repeated telling the same story to a total stranger of the first time me and my friends beat the game.

Same here. it's my go to game when I have an hour to burn along with the remake and I have nothing else I wanna play.

Try playing Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, OP.

Also, Devolver Digital is publishing an indie beat-'em-up soon. Don't know whether or not it will be good.

I can't in good faith recommend The Adventures of Bayou Billy unless you play the japanese version "Mad City". That one has better hit detection and balance overall.

My recommendations on beat em ups are as follows:

Sweet and simple

Single Plane/ Action Platformer

Technical/ Move list heavy/ High Skill Ceiling

Action RPG-esque

3D Beat Em Ups
(basically, check anything labelled Stylish Action/ CUHRAYZEE)

add Knights of the Round to movelist heavy btw

TOP TEN BELT SCROLLERS EVERYONE SHOULD PLAY IN THEIR LIFETIME

Streets of Rage 3 (JP)
Undercover Cops
Violent Storm
Alien vs. Predator
Shadow Force
Zero Team
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon
Guardians
Night Slashers
Sengoku 3

Dank 3D Shit:
God Hand
Zombie Revenge

You should also try the arcade version of Golden Axe. It's a bit shorted but looks and sounds better.

Goddamnit. "Shorter"

I fucking love Zombie Revenge.

Shadows Over Mystara is a very good original to which Dragon's Crown is essentially an enhanced HD remake of. Settling for it is an excellent base experience.

Those kind of beat-em ups don't play well with this new generation. You know why? Because they're all indoor/NEET fags that would curl up into a ball faced with any physical contact.

Half joking but not really. In the 80's/arcade scene, beat-em-ups were closer to everyday life.

Now they're all fantasy based, muh combo score, and appeal in a different way.

I like Stylish Action games, but hammering on cannon fodder with 25 hit combos each does get a bit boring. Sometimes I just want to piledrive a motherfucker and move on to the next guy that can probably knock me out in 2 hits, all in less than 4 seconds a mook.

Older beat em ups had a pacing I really miss. Final Fight I still feel is one of those required must plays, and also required to give at least a couple of single credit attempts to. Everything about it was perfect in my mind. The sprite animation and memorable character design (best Andre the Giant clones ever), the set and stage design, the tinny arcade synth etc.

Many games have improved on Final Fight's formula, but it still stands alone perfectly in my mind.

UNPOPULAR FACTS INCOMING: PROTECT YOUR SENSITIVE BOOTY

Streets of Rage 1 is better than Streets of Rage 2

nah fam, but I have such a fucking hard-on for Yuzo kun's compositions in that one. Even if he did borderline songsteal.

The "bad ending" is also a nice twist.

I bet it plays differently if you "overclock" your genesis. I should give that mod a shot sometime.

Honestly I just hate the sprites in 2 by comparison. even though they're more detailed they look rubbery in compairson, like the characters are baloons, and many of the poses look more awkward.

Sold. What system is it? Arcade or SNES?

Not really, Dragon's Crown is way more control complex and has a far more involved story/grinding. They are both designed by Kamitani though, so they're similar in some regards. Tower of Doom is also good.

Also, no one listed Dynamite Deka. Shame, that's also a great game.

Play the arcade

Not OP but it's a solid game

Will do, thanks.

If you liked Golden Axe, I really recommend you to play Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder on MAME. It's by far the best Golden Axe game.

Others may be better games, and have better "gameplay" but those originals have a far more satisfying brutality.

Slashing someone with a sword 10 times before they die is gamey a.f… where as 4-5 crunching punches and a finisher feels like a street fight.

Are there any newer games with the same tone/atmosphere? Haven't seen any.

No man, SoR1 was REALLY rough as it was a first one, the worst offender being the horrifically broken and op boss battles.
SoR2 has much more polish.
They are still both great games while the third one is just a big fail.

git gud, outside of maybe Mr. X there's nothing unavoidable

So, there's Pretty Soldier on Arcade, but is R on SNES any good? I think someone in a previous thread recommended it, but I don't remember.

It's not bad but the Arcade is better

Gotcha, thanks. I just got Arcade, liking it so far. Just need to figure out what buttons are mapped where for MAME. Otherwise, hits are satisfying, hitboxes are decent. Venus a best

Wow…just wow….no words….

You can cheese the boss fights in SoR1 though, even Mr. X.

Zero Wing
Gunstar Heroes
Alien Soldier

Did you post in the wrong thread?

I think SOR1 had better music.

So, I tortured myself by trying to play Light Bringer in MAME.
Lemme share a pro-tip: don't play it, it's bad. Hitboxes are wonky, and it takes an assload of monster killing to level up. At least being able to choose your own route in every level is neat.

Add Comix Zone to Action Platformer.