So, why is crate unboxing not illegal?

So, why is crate unboxing not illegal?

Isn't this called gambling? Why are pachinko machines getting regulated and this shit isn't?

Care to elaborate? I used to play TF2 until just recently and I don't remember anything feedback related, is that a CSGO thing?

It is, basically it shows a roulette making it seem like the player had a chance of winning every time, despite the result being predetermined.

It also gives you visual and audio feedback when you drop something good by showing it to you in some kind of Cinematic mode

It's literally a slot machine

Because the people in charge of such things don't understand games. That's probably the sole reason why nobody has cracked down on it yet.

The tears if they did would be glorious. Not just from the retards who are addicted to that shit but from the streamers who make money with unboxing vids.

Oh, like the reel crates in TF2, those which let you type a word to "choose" which taunts have a chance to appear before getting another Rancho Relaxo? yeah, it sucks.

It technically is illegal in many jurisdictions. Valve just speculates that the profits from ignoring the laws are bigger than any potential fines for breaking them.

Because gambling is fun you faggot.

Yeah, and gambling isn't illegal everywhere.

Also kill yourself for suggesting gambling should be regulated.

If people are retarded enough to ruin their lives gambling they deserve it.

It is illegal for minors everywhere

Gambling isn't universally illegal you fucking commie.

see

Enjoy your crates

Their lawyers managed to legally differentiate it from gambling through loopholes and bribes.

We call these people "Ovenfodder".

Same reason why eastern vidya doesn't give a shit about showing attractive women with tits. Also, gambling is only illegal in the west if the payout is money. This is no different than the fucking e-reader cards jewtendo pulled 10 years ago.

OP confirmed for underage burger.

That's not the point you dumb shit.

it's not really gambling per so.
you get a crate, you get a key, you open it, you get a weapon. the end. just because one weapon is worth 0.01$ in online market and one is worth 100$ doesn't change the fact you got your promised gun
it's like complaining kinder surprise is gambling because you want a minion toy and you keep getting generic car toys

Legal loopholes. As long as there's no supported way to redeem whatever they gamble on for real world objects with real world value its technically not gambling.

Everyone knows that people do sell these things for real money on third party sites but as long as valve says "hey you can't do that" and hands out a couple token bans for it here and there they can keep running their digital slot machines.

If you are going to condemn this shit then you can't pick and choose. Every video game company has been guilty of this kind of shit in the last 5 years. So why did this have to have it's own thread? Do you have an axe to grind against this game in particular? Did you get fleeced and upset your drop didn't drop? I don't get why out of all the shit to get angry about, you chose this of all things.

TF2 and CS:GO are in theory 18+

I chose this because I have no other examples.
I don't play games that have these mechanics, so I don't know anything outside of the most popular one that does it.

Are you actually insulted because I'm talking badly about CSGO? What the fuck

Nigger quit trying to push your shitty edit everywhere.

Do you guys consider buying card packs for games like magic or hearthstone to be considered gambling?

No, but it's still exploiting mentally retarded people.

First off dumbshit. If you do business in a country, you follow that countries laws. You don't have an HQ in America and abide by American laws while trading with the Japanese. The only underage dumbfuck here is you.

Second, the retarded, ignorant bullshit you spewed had fuck all to do with the OP anyway. Choke on a whole bag of dicks, you illiterate bitch tits.

It's gambling, shitfag

I mean, by that logic, card booster packs would be illegal.

You're a tardmonkey

It falls under only one of the definitions, while crates fall under both.

Also opening boosters doesn't follow the steps that are used to attract gambling addicts, which is probably why it's not considered gambling in real life.

It's legal because you aren't paying money to win money.

You are paying money to win a series of 1s and 0s that are visually represented by a 3D model in a video game.

You also can not sell the 1s and 0s directly for cash, you can only sell for digital Steam "dollars."

Furthermore, it's impossible for anyone to monitor and prevent the sale of those 1s and 0s on Ebay if people really do want cash money from it.

Depends on why you're buying them.
If you just want a few cards there's nothing wrong with it
If you're buying a fuckton of packs for the chance of a very rare card it is.

I'm more baffled why you chose such a niche game when like said, plenty of other companies pull this shit.

Didn't know Steam had a gacha system running. I stopped using that cancerous program long ago.

What's worse, Steam's crate system or Japanese mobage gacha system? Some guy spent 7,000 dollars trying to get a character in Granblue Fantasy a few months ago.

Because the crates aren't throwing out physical, US dollars.

But that's not gambling for reasonable facts that I explained in

To attract gambling addicts the machine has to reward them with feedback because they did good, to the point where they become hooked on that feedback.

It is in some way gambling, but it's not nearly as bad as crate unboxing

I hear they also put in a system where you get points from the gacha, and enough points you can get the character you're trying to get

PROBLEM IS, the points go away after a while, and it still cost over 3k to atually get them.

The Japanese are stingy bastards

Because why would you want to hinder the free market, you filthy commie ?

alright thanks great talking with ya

They added that system because that guy spent 7k. It's pretty much a hard cap to your spending. If you spend 800 dollars they will just let you pick what you want. It only last a small period of time so it's not something normal players can reach, it's just for the guy spending a ton of cash in a short period.

TF2's results aren't pre-determined, each item has a hard-percentage chance of being picked just before it plays the silly fanfare and shows you what you got. Like the reel crates mentioned with the four options you can customize yourself through specific words to get a setup of specific items, since you get a chance at four items and you customize what you want you get a 25% chance of getting one particular item.

Ranchos are big money now, If you got several you've probably got a few keys' worth in your inventory easy now. Trade 'em for keys and then trade those keys for metal and you can go on a crafting spree or something, or keep the keys and trade for skins or hats or whatever it is you want.

This post doesn't even make sense, you're just shitposting in greentext at this point

I'm simply saying you are cherry picking what YOU think is acceptable and what isn't and expect the world to adhere to whatever you decree. I'm merely calling you out on your double think m8.

I dont want to sound rude but you really seem like you have legit aspergers or something.

I have a logic behind why I think something is gambling and something isn't.

I explained it. You greentexted a semantic mistake without talking about anything else in my post.

You're free to have your own opinion, but if you're not going to explain it then you might as well shut up.

Because Gaben is amongst Forbes Top 400 and has over a billion on his bank account, that motherfucker is untouchable

nanny statist pls

You did explain it, I just cut through your fluff. I'm still going to consider you a retard since you seem to be doubling down on your "This form of gambling is okay but this one isn't!" argument.

You didn't cut trough your fluff, you completely ignored my point for no reason because you think you're right and nothing will change your opinion on why you're right.

I never said one was okay and the other wasn't. I did explain why one was objectively worse for gambling addicts than the other one, which you completely ignored.

Neither are okay, as both involve shitty RNGs and microtransactions.

Holy fuck stop drinking the tap water

I hate gambling. I'm Dutch, we're the real jews, and money is literally the most important thing in the universe. Gambling is taking your hard earned money and setting it on fire. It's almost as bad as child rape.

But Valve has lawyers to find the legal loopholes.

Whatever let the fools of the weaker races do whatever they want.

Because not all of us live in shit countries that limit our freedoms.

The value of an in-game product is 100% abstract unless set out by the company itself.
Have you ever wondered why does a single hat/weapon costs from 5$ to 10$ in the Mann Co store for example?Because a key costs 2.50$, and if you get a shitty weapon/hat valve can just say "but you got a product worth 10$ here goy!".
Thus, it's the perfect scheme.
No one gives a shit, it would only matter if Valve did it, it's evil, but it's also very smart.

As a finishing note, it's not illegal because technically, you always end up with more "worth" than you had originally.

Also I should add that gambling strictly refers to the chance of winning money.

There are people that think that they can make it big in a group/clan or even make a living on this stuff. Just look at things like card shop or big names in a trading community like the mannconomy or war frame trading. Are there things that bring people together. Yes, hell I met one of my best friends on a trade server on tf2.

But would anyone want to live off of things like this? Very, VERY rarely. Things like trading card shops manage to hold their own by doing this. But honestly, that's only a part of a store like that. My local store pretty much has a different game going on each day of the week. D&D on Sunday, MTG Commander on Tuesday, War Hammer 40,000 on Thusday, Etc.

TL:DR: People will dump money on a lot of dumb shit like virtual clothing and weapon skins, but to each their own now a days. And honestly, a team captain is a cool solly hat, and is a nice reference to the street fighter cartoon, but the same one obscured by fire is tacky.

because devs are allowed to put in whatever cash shop horseshit they want because we live in glorious capitalism, and anyone who falls for it only have themselves to blame

unfortunately lots of people buy into that shit

Also Poker is a sport

Except that for all intents and purposes, you just lost money.

It's the same loophole pachinko and raffles have. If you offer someone a reward that does not have an objective value, like cash, then it doesn't count as gambling for some reason. The market decides how much an item is worth so for some reason they're allowed to do it. If they officially allowed you to turn Gabebux into dollars then maybe they could get into trouble.

Sounds like you're a soggy no fun allowed plebian that can't enjoy the simple destruction.

You know my problem with these crate bullshit is how fucked the market is for them. Like for example, you spend 5 cents on a crate and $2.50 on a key, you get shit, right okay, as expected, but that shit should be worth AT LEAST HALF of what you paid, but it's not, it's worth fucking 10 cents. It's retarded honestly. If the prices were higher on the shit skins, it would be beneficial to everyone but the people buying the skins, people would feel more inclined to blow their money on the cases with a guaranteed half return, Fat Jew would get a cut of the fake skin if it was sold on the Steam market place, and the skin itself was just created, it's not like opening a virtual case with a virtual key is physically making anything so it's not like Fat Jew would have to be losing any money.

You need to think a little harder about why shit skins are shit.

People open these crates and get millions of garbage and almost nothing worthwhile, because the rare shit is so rare thats why its expensive, that in turn means that the shit is worth less.

The only way to make the shit more expensive is to make the more expensive stuff more common.

because there's no chance that you get absolutely nothing in return.
you always get something and you never get nothing.