Facebook is using DRM to force oculus headsets to be used

FACEBOOK LIED
AGAIN
FUCKING DRM
techraptor.net/content/oculus-now-prevents-users-using-headsets

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/3nvww
roadtovr.com/facebook-ceo-zuckerberg-to-testify-in-oculus-vs-zenimax-lawsuit/
venturebeat.com/2016/01/19/oculus-vr-founder-palmer-luckey-must-face-breach-on-contract-lawsuit-judge-rules/
twitter.com/MarkM447/status/735604361020215296
stallman.org/facebook.html#privacy
stallman.org/facebook2.html#privacy
stallman.org/facebook.html#ads
stallman.org/facebook.html#psych
stallman.org/facebook.html#taxes
stallman.org/facebook.html#control
stallman.org/facebook.html#misc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Vive is clearly superior, of course any other VR pushing kike would be shaking in their shekels right now.

Who couldn've seen that coming?

slowpoke.jpg
Already a thread

Why wouldn't you just getthe Vive at this point? It's not much more expensive and superior in build quality and utility.

it's too bad the feds fluff Facebook's stock exchange or else they might've actually taken some damage from all this shit.

V "Blunder Of The Century" R is just a gift that keeps on giving.
I will never not laugh at VRfags.

Who is this jew?

Story of Occulus VR.

(Channel is The Onion)

You don't have to be a Holla Forumsfag to recognize Goebbels.

Into the ovens you go

What's stopping people from just taping their phones to the end of a pair of binoculars?

Its kafka

How could such a thing ever transpire?

KIKES LIED
MILLIONS DIED

honestly does anyone care, or rather, expect this shit to not happen? You'd be a retard if you did

instead of having fun playing videogames, OP is wasting time making shit threads

b-but muh brand

Good.

Also lack of tracking.

i bet you could ghetto tracking with a webcam and a piece of paper with a bright dot on it

You'd need at least two webcams to prevent occlusion and I doubt the tracking would be on the same tier as the Vive or Rift. If you can hack together a worthwhile experience doing that though post a webm, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested given how crazy everyone went for cardboard.

I would advise to not touch at the rift.
An exclusive game is made for it? Wait till the drm is cracked then use the vive.

Don't give that guy your money; For berg the rift is a mean to get you hooked to his social media then sell your personal information.

So you pay twice, with you money first for the rift, then with your long gone privacy.

Him?: He get paid twice.

Daily reminder

Lets get this started.

JUST

MARK MARK MARK
THEY KNOW DELETE THIS

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKK

HELLO FELLOW INTERNET USER. I MYSELF AM ALSO A FELLOW INTERNET USER AND WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD PROVIDE ME WITH WEBSITE AND OR PERSON WHO HAS THE SOURCE OF ORIGIN FOR THAT EDITED IMAGE MACRO. I WOULD REALLY FURTHER THE INTENTS AND GOALS OF OTHER FELLOW INTERNET USER SUCH AS MYSELF.

THINK OF THE GOYIM MARK

DAMAGE CONTROL

Feels good to have working brains.

in other shocking news, the sky is blue and join us at eleven when we find out, is water wet

There are no heroes left in man.

Not really.

Pre-ordered an Oculus, eh?

I'm stupid but not retarded.

how do you know your not retarded?
you're stupid after all

Because I don't go

i always wonder why people trust a company/PR/advertiser and so on.

These Money maker folks are not here to give you something, they are here to take something. Of course they will tell you lies!

Why the suprise when in the end you didn't get what was promised? you wanted to belive what they told you because it sounded so nice. But it only sounded nice because they knew what to tell you.

fuckbook, twatter, tulrnmbl, plebbot and these fuckers.

Once there was a time, a normalfag would make an account on fuckbook, nowadays even mcdonalds has an fuckbook account.
This should already tell you a lot!

And yet, here we are, still wondering, still hoping, still trusting in a world full with people who only live to make this place to hell!

you know, this world is beutifull but it is man who makes this place to hell.

Instead of having fun playing video games you're wasting time writing posts that contribute nothing to anyone or anything besides your own self image of being too cool for everyone else.

LOL

VRfags BTFO again

it is equivalent relationship of crackwhore and pusher.

KIKEBOOK BTFO
archive.is/3nvww

I wish the people behind these things werent such mealy-mouthed fucks

Why the fuck not? You're dealing with a company that, with this product alone, constantly lies and fucks over it's own customers once they have their money.

Who are actively trying to stop you using your own property how you wish with whatever devices you wish.

Piracy is the answer.

Because an official stance for anyone who operates with such shit should be as meek as possible, else risk legal troubles.

In fairness to Carmack he didn't have much choice. He had no say in Facebook acquiring them so his only options were to work for Facebook or get cut out of VR development completely due to bullshit noncompete clauses.

This.

Also, friendly reminder that the co-developer of oculus rift didn't want to sell to Zuckerberg, and died in an unfortunate car accident a week later.

Why? Does he want the rift to die? What happens if all the alternatives are open?

They're fucking stupid and don't understand their audience. They think they can act like Apple and early adopter PC gamers will just eat it up.

I feel bad for Carmack

Facebook is much more like Google than Apple user, especially in regards to not giving a shit about user privacy.

It is an unholy amalgamation of both. The Google shit can be overlooked by most people as they don't but when they started pulling the Apple shit on top of it and instituting a walled garden of apps and forced exclusives then people had enough.

don't really care about privacy*

Facebook thought VR was going to be the next major social fad.

They were betting on something they though would save them from the eventual slide into irrelevancy.

They didn't care that they were going to crush the hopes and dreams of gamers along the way.

I'm pretty sure the VIVE wouldn't exist if Facebook hadn't bought Oculus. Say what you will for the current state of development, but you just know that Valve knew exactly what Cuckerberg was up to and they had to act fast.

I'm honestly glad Valve did. If they didn't release OpenVR a while ago, we would almost certainly end up in the same sort of API-lockdown situation that directx created. Now, there's only a small chance of that marketing technique working.

As soon as valve stops being kikes and releases a decently priced version without the shitty motion controls and lighthouse, I will consider the vive, but for now, fuck them, they are no better.

"lol nah that can't be true"

What? Both work well.

Facebook's plan would have likely worked if they'd just waited a couple generations before slowly instituting their shit. Its what I expected them to do as "boiling the frog" typically works. instead they were far too arrogant and started pushing right out the gate.

scale of production and research costs drive the price, it might come down if there's a second generation.

I don't care. I don't want them. They inflate the price for something I don't need. Sell them separately.

You need at least one lighthouse tower for the system to work. They likely will sell just seated models later but they still haven't even caught up with back orders.

You think we were bullshitting you about the jews?

I'll also remind you Stanley Kubrick exposed the jewish media control in They live, and Pedowood-orgies in Eyes Wide Shut. The latter got him killed two weeks prior to the premiere of the movie.

Ever wonder why it ends so wierdly? Because they cut the real ending.

Any actual evidence of this?

Not really, just that the "ending" doesn't make any sense.

It's clearly an incomplete movie, but good fucking luck getting Tom "scientology" Cruise to spill the beans.

Maybe in his deathbed if we're lucky, but all those damned actors seem to have such quick deaths.. Purely coincidental of course.

They Live was by John Carpenter you stupid fuck. People like you make Holla Forums look like shit, you realize that?

There are cheaper ways to do positional tracking, the lighthouse system is there purely for the whole move around the entire room thing, which I don't fucking need when I sit at my chair.

Oh right, didn't sleep last night.

user what are you smoking?
You're confusing Kubrick with Carpenter.

This should be a lesson to every tech company everywhere, NEVER align yourself with conglomerates that have a shitty reputation no matter how they act in person, especially if their CEO is a kike.

Palmer is a nobody in Oculus now, his word doesn't mean squat. What a sad downfall for a guy that kickstarted the VR industry, all because they believe in the sweet lies of a kike.

Nobody saw this coming.

John Carmack must be spinning in his grave right now.

He's mainly working on mobile VR headsets or primarily GearVR to get positional tracking to work. I think he barely knows what the fuck is going on with their flagship headset.

That's exactly what's going on, Carmack is too busy doing tech shit than giving a fuck what his employers are doing policy-wise.

Sure but since they were doing the premium model first they did tracking that way as a shortcut to beat Oculus in terms of time to get product to consumer. They'll put out lower end models for people that are only interested in seated VR later probably.

That's their biggest mistake.

Simply your opinion, I think it was a smart move to put out a superior product to the Rift to defeat their brand recognition.

Possibly,but maybe not so.
I mean,have you ever seen a normalfag try to compare the headsets? Since they are conditioned to ignore all the gleaming flaws they zero in on the room stichk even if they aren't going to get out of that chair in a million years.mind you these aren't facebook slaves,I do my best not to associate with thoseı'm also not in burgerland

That's not the way to get a lot of early adopters. It would have been a smart move, had the price not been exorbitant.

Happy now?

Its not exorbitant.

It's exorbitant for the expected early adopter ratios. Unless they were going for a niche product banking on whales only to begin with, in which case, I guess they succeeded, but also failed to usher in the age of VR because nobody fucking buys the things.

Are you completely unfamiliar with business cycles or something? Things always start out a bit expensive where only early adopters buy in then decrease in price later. I mean its not cheap but the price isn't crazy either.

Razer is still making profit with their HMD sold at 300. Shove-a-couple-LEDs-up-somethings-ass-and-double-the-price Razer.
Granted, the current version is the worst of the competing HMDs but the needed upgrades to compete on a level playfield don't look too expensive, it's just a different controller for the display to go above its one crippling limitation of 60Hz.

of course, user.

Vive owner here.
That's a dick move on Oculus' part for sure, but wholly unexpected. Still, there's folks hard at work on Revive (wrapper/injector that makes OVR stuff work on OSVR/Vive). Originally they just did compatibility patches, but since the Oculus DRM patch two days ago, they've shifted into "fuck your shit, full piracy crack mode activated".
I fully expect to be able to play any and all OVR software on my vive in due time - not that there's anything worth playing yet, anyway.
The only thing worth a damn that's made specifically for oculus so far is Subnautica, and Revive works fine for that already.

Crossed my wires there.
Meant wholly expected or not at all unexpected.

I guess we'll find out which was more effective between the two with time.

They didn't. I'm not arguing that the Razer option is the best option, I'm arguing that the Razer option shows how ridiculously overpriced their competition is.

DELETE THIS
E
L
E
T
E

T
H
I
S

DELETE THIS

R I G H T

N O W

They did it right by making their HMD just a peripherial and upgradeable with FOSS backend. They did it wrong by doing that as well - casuals with money to spare intended audience of current VR want "experience" rather than something practical.
Social networking experiments like AltspaceVR and Oculus Social are the more popular than anything else on VR market, jews already won

Not a pro for marketing to the general public. Casuals can't even plug in a new GPU and even if they could, they wouldn't. Modular design could have been nice if they had multiple models out at the same time, like different GPUs based on the same architecture, not this 1.X incremental BS. Also, they entered too low at 60Hz. 75Hz or 90Hz for gen1, OK, but 60Hz? What a bad joke.
Yes. But they do it on phones. Stationary VR market will soon be as disconnected from phone VR as home gaming is from phone gaming.

Sitting back and thinking about Valve's Vive VS Oculus's CV1:

CV1

Vive

They're both almost identical spec wise and were released at around the same time at around the same price if you add in lighthouse tracking and dual VR controllers. Both companies had issues with shipping having never dealt with selling hardware directly to consumers before, both have little more than expensive tech demos on their store.

Either Oculus is incompetent or Valve is kicking their ass by a very wide margin when it comes to hardware. Even on the oculus subreddit people are telling Palmer to fuck off nowadays. A year ago they were worshipping him as a visionary in tech the tech world.

That's not going to happen anytime soon because they want to keep the price at $300 and higher than 1080p 5" panels that do 90 or 120hz are still very expensive, especially when you buy them in small batches like they do. I consider the OSVR HDK 1.4 to be the best value for money since the screen is upgradable though. But only if you're fine with a DIY approach to VR instead of a polished appstore.

And remember that Valve spies on users as well. They were caught going through the DNS records of their users to collect what websites they were visiting. They're no angels.

The panel is already ready for 120Hz if we can believe the misleading marketing that states even the current version at 120Hz, it's just the display controller holding it back at 60Hz.

Here's what their page says about it

As much as I'd love to recommend OSVR their entire operation is in shambles. Their page is filled with stupid web 2.0 bullshit(pic related), they're building it using ASP.Net which is a massive turn off for the FLOSS community, they don't use IRC, most of the development is done on github

It's still the best there is at the moment.

REPORTED

Thank you Holla Forums, you're Holla Forums's greatest ally. Others may shittalk you but at the end you're always right.

I feel kinda bad for Carmack, either stick with "id" and get fucked by zenimax or join zuckerBERGSTEIN in his conspiracy.
Jews all around, man.

was worse than that really. He left zenimax before Zuckerberg bought out Oculus.

Quite honestly? Right now my biggest concern would be that it will be tied to steam somehow.

And he could of left Kikebook at any time after the buyout.

Sure but then he couldn't work on VR.

Goebbels did look like a Jew rat though.
All he was missing was a hooked nose.

Because there obviously wasn't any other company developing VR after the buyout.

No he's seriously stuck there, if he goes to any other company and works on VR they'll get sued. Right now Zenimax is suing Facebook over this with Carmack. Valve wouldn't want him, he's not worth the lawsuit.

roadtovr.com/facebook-ceo-zuckerberg-to-testify-in-oculus-vs-zenimax-lawsuit/

Same thing is happening with Palmer as well

venturebeat.com/2016/01/19/oculus-vr-founder-palmer-luckey-must-face-breach-on-contract-lawsuit-judge-rules/

I forgot about that.

I might've made bad decisions in the bad past, but at least I didn't fall for VR

Or Anthony Burch

Whoops

Except the movie is based on a novella called Dream Story which ends the exact same way.

the past is bad, user

user, the vive is doing just fine.
Normalfags report they don't want to go back to normal games after using it.
That means we either get a second golden age after the true game enthusiast goes back to be the core gaming market (With AAA chasing the VR fad), or we get deeper into the cancer hole we are.

t. Nintendo Wii

absolutely not, early adopters are always the ones with the most cash i.e. the kind of people who wouldn't care about price.
->milk the cows->get a big install base->make sure the user has a reason to keep paying->make sure everyone benefits from paying users (remember exp packs? how it would also benefit other people you're playing with? this is to make users encourage each other to pay.)
in that order

Absolutely yes, because
interferes with

Milk the cows too hard -> don't get a big install base -> say sayonara to your investment

On the other hand,
don't milk the cows sufficiently -> get a big install base unwilling to pay shitloads of shekels

The main problem for the Rift is that Facebook rolled out the normalgoy milking mechanic before securing a big install base. Everyone expected that though, so it's probably not as big of a problem as only the best of goys trust them anyway. They could have gotten away with it if they had discounted the HMD to reach that market. Luckyly, they're a too shortsighted greedy bunch for playing the long con, Zuckerbergolus is already dead without knowing it.

Now, what about the Vive? Too much milking too soon, just like the Rift, only in a more directly monetary way. Too small installbase for anything beyond experimental indy "experiences". Optional support for games not primarily made for VR can be it's saving grace, but also demonstrate how useless roomscale is without content. The waggle controllers don't have a good chance to succeed, they're just making the Vive more expensive. Good choice for making Zuckerbergolus look worse but no longer needed as this part of the competition is already dead, drop the shit already HTC. Seriously, do it, not just for your own sake but for gaming. Sony dominating consoles is bad enough. Sony having a quasi-monopoly over both consoles and VR is the nightmare that will come true unless you get your shit together.

only if you try to do both at the same time, look at it this way, if you get a big install base first, the cows will have already bought their headset, if you milk the cows first, you cana then get a big install base later.

I saved up for a year for the vive, so fuck you

no bully please :c

rms was right again

I've been using an eyetoy for ghetto face tracking in E:D and it works remarkably well even in low light. Won't work with anything on your face however.

The only problem with google cardboard is yaw drift which is supposed to be fixed via a different tracking method some devs are working on. As long as you have a nice high rez phone google cardboard is real nice.

I get what you're saying, I just think the milking went beyond reasonable limits and damaged boths ability to ever gain a big market. Insufficient market leads to insufficient SW and then you can lower the prices as much as you'd like, it doesn't matter anymore as the hypetrain has crashed and burned. I think HTC still has a chance by dropping the Kinect waggle and lower the price accordingly, Sony hasn't completely won yet.

I agree, except I think Valve knows when it will be most convenient to lower the price, considering the insane amount of statistics they usually gather.

Platform entrance fee pricing is very different from SW pricing.

>I think HTC still has a chance by dropping the Kinect waggle and lower the price accordingly

Their tracking is the only thing that sets it apart from the CV1 and it actually works from what I've seen. Dropping it now would be a huge mistake; it's not something they threw on as an afterthought or barely support and it's not a gimmick few people care about.

The reason why these headsets are so expensive isn't because of what's inside the box. It's everything outside it. You have a patent minefield, selling an electronic consumer device worldwide, a service that connects to the internet and does financial transactions plus many other issues that eat up time and money.

I wholeheartedly disagree. The main thing that sets it apart from the Rift is that it doesn't belong to Facebook. After they dropped the mask that's the important difference, especially to informed people that coincidentally also tend to be the majority among early adopters. Waggle or no waggle plays no role in that.

twitter.com/MarkM447/status/735604361020215296

Could the 4chan ownership be connected to this somehow?

Palmer Luckey/Facebook lied, hopes and dreams died.

Reminder that if you are a Facebook user, you are a useful-idiot, and there is no excuse

Destruction of privacy
stallman.org/facebook.html#privacy
stallman.org/facebook2.html#privacy

Unethical Advertising
stallman.org/facebook.html#ads

Psychological harm
stallman.org/facebook.html#psych

Tax dodging
stallman.org/facebook.html#taxes

Control of media
stallman.org/facebook.html#control

Miscellaneous
stallman.org/facebook.html#misc

have they ever said they wouldn't do it?

fuck outta here

Never Forget