Holla Forums's recommended games charts

Hey Holla Forums, lets share, critique, and create platform recommended charts. Or any kind of video game charts. I think there's a lot to discuss, and I have something new to share.

bump. Anyone have any other charts?

I'm curious if there's actually a chart about Arcade games.

why not add it in yourself son

xenoblade chronicles didn't exist when that chart was made.

Sure.

I never played a Disgaea game, where should i start?

How can this list be trusted? Also please add keys for backwards compatible and console exclusive games. Not xbox exclusive though, because If a game only came out on ps2 and xbox, chances are the xbox version is better anyway.

Pretty good
Ha

Pardon my begging, i've got 2 requests:
The "so you want to play persona/smt" chart and, if such a chart exists, a turn based rpg chart

I've said it before but

pls fix

thps1 is much better on dreamcast.

Who the hell made this chart? Anyone will tell you that Aria is the better of the two.

I'd put Darkest Hour in its place, but that's just me

Stick to categories or platforms at least.

Is it better than hi res emulated ps1 though?

fair enough, needs updating

of course. That's like asking if it's better to play DOOM SNES high res emulated or the dos original.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and Rayman 2 shouldn't be in a ps1 chart then.

I think if you're looking at a chart for a system, you're looking for good games to play on that system, exclusive or not, they should at least be good.

thps1 is just best on the dreamcast, even if the PS1 version is fine.

If that's the point thps1 should be on there. It's a shitty chart either way.

Gun is overrated shit that is the very definition of 'aged poorly'.

About fucking time. Any reason why the games are there with no rhyme or reason? Ie - alphabetically or by genre. Seems a bit careless, likewise it seems to be missing a lot of entries that are regularly discussed in the x-box threads like @Nude, Rayman 3 or the Dead or Alive games.

I wanted to include games with more mass appeal as essentials. This is only one of two lists, and of course, I'll be revising it over time.

Hmm I think you should avoid that kind of thing. Remember taste is very subjective, the way I look at the charts and I think chart-user does as well is that its more of a recommendation. Stuff other anons have enjoyed and may be enjoyable as well, not the MUST HAVE titles or Holla Forums BESTEST OF BESTEST. Still, any reason why they're not categorized?

er…I don't think mass appeal is the right phrase. Generally, hard-to-contest, legitimately excellent games. Some games, like NUDE@ are pretty acquired tastes, and Rayman 3 isn't that great, neither are the dead or alive games. I'm open to any case you have for including them.

technically, they are categorized. These are all the games I've specifically marked as "platinum" in my game genre folders for the game tiles. This smaller list I've made is there to refer to people who just want the best games to play on the system. I was contested on whether or not to include awesome games like THUG, THPS2X, scarface, etc. Do you think I should include more of these multiplat titles? Scrap the 2 chart plan and go for one full, cohesive one? It would be pretty big. the Xbox library is pretty sizable once you get to the good stuff.

I think 1 chart is better than 2 charts. Still, its kind of weird just having the games all over the place without being alphabetically ordered or by genre.

They technically were ordered, it's just not apparent in the chart. I'll absolutely revise that. I'll refocus and just do one major chart, then.

Huh? Also, any reason why Hello Kitty's box is pink? Also, size shouldn't be problematic, just take a look at the PS2 chart which is the most sizeable one out of all of chart-user's charts

I made that chart

Even I know it needs some reworking but I'm too lazy to do it

Here's an updated PC chart

It's in pink because I wanted it to stand out, plus it's more fun that way. I get a lot of questions about the game too, because I recommend it often. I never got any complaints, however.

Outdated cuhrayzee chart for anyone interested

Jesus. Shit really went noticeably downhill after 2005. I'm not saying there aren't a few good games past that point, but the number of quality games slows down considerably.

Damn that's neat user

Please

Unreadable. Great job.

God bless you mate

there is a better version out there

shit, sorry dude

ehhh, the only new things to add are final and #FE both of which are meh at best

We back to posting errors now or something?

Might be worth mentioning that this is a sample revision, mostly using what was on the old one. Some games might go before the actual released version (I know some anons are adamant about stuff like 3rd Birthday being a disservice to its IP, for example), and I need anons to write stuff for games that are still missing (as well as perhaps expand on ones that are a bit lacking in descriptions; using a standardized font size for the whole thing, some have a lot of open space that could be added into).

Guess my prior post just didn't go through rather than getting eaten like things were a while back. Oh well, I copied the post content anyhow just in case.

Nice to see something for the Xbox. I do have some criticism, from someone that works on this sort of stuff though:
Either alphabetize the chart entirely, or split everything up into genres and then alphabetize each one. Depends on the size you're going with.
The way things are right now, I get that you want to make the most of the available space, but in my opinion it's better to use a standard size. If you opt to do so, find what game has the longest title, determine what font size will let it sit comfortably on two lines, and use that size of font for all of them. For games with short titles that would only need one line, center the text box vertically within the space.
The way the gold tags are right now clip out of the green boxes. Either scale the tags back a bit or make the green space larger. Possibly both, since a few games have more than two.

Anyhow, just my thoughts on it. Usually good to start out using the most complex games for laying out tabs (longest title, most additional information, etc), and then use that to set up a template to work off of.

Yeah, that one definitely has issues, especially the gradient in the text fields. Judging by the file size as well (I'm pretty sure at those dimensions some amount of compression was done), it was likely an old halfchan one.

I'll add it to the list of things to look into adding. I tend to wait to do updates until I see a thread on the system's library itself, and it's been a while since some of these, like the PS1, had decent threads focused on them.

Thats pretty good except
I mean yeah it has shooting in it but its not the main gameplay mechanic. I would put it under action/adventure myself, but on the other hand I could be wrong.

Anyone got the PS3 charts?

There's a few around, but they're either a bit outdated (considering last I'd seen they still had stuff like Yakuza 5 listed as "coming soon"), or need some general improvement (such as having actual names for import games where the titles themselves are only in moonrunes). Been trying to compile a list of games people seem to like and would want to see on a revised one, but PS3 discussion isn't the most frequent thing.

what.

Thinking of getting a 3ds xl, can I get a flashcart so I can play any game from the DS and GBA handhelds?

Not sure. You'd likely need to look into if there's any flash carts specifically for DS games that can make use of the 3DS' backwards compatibility, between various models having different compatibility even with the older DS models, and with the 3DS having actual firmware downloads, it wouldn't shock me if those could also block readability of flash carts as well down the line. Might want to ask in a 3DS specific thread; someone there might know more.

Look it up before you buy as said, but off the top of my head, DS backwards compatibility with flash carts just werks, but GBA backwards compatibility with a regular DS required an additional card in the GBA slot, which obviously doesn't exist in the 3DS.

does anyone have a list for ps3/360? gonna start collecting for them soon becuase prices are gettin pretty low

Sweet, thanks guys.

Sometimes.

I can't recall seeing a 360 one, and as mentioned earlier the existing PS3 ones have issues (and I don't seem to have them saved myself). I've been trying to get stuff together to make one, which is currently still in an rtf list format; could post it if it helps some. That said, I do think it could use further refinement/additions before I actually start doing layout, so maybe take whats there currently with a grain of salt.

Here's an old and not really that good PS3 chart

Are you a moron m8

Ninja Gaiden
Arma
Kerbal Space
Hitman
Especially Monster Hunter

Should be either 2 or 1 levels up

Here's a newer one

shiggerooo