Are there any genres that are actually better played with a controller as opposed to Keyboard/Mouse?

Are there any genres that are actually better played with a controller as opposed to Keyboard/Mouse?

Other urls found in this thread:

wooting.nl/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Soulslike

Racing games.

Fighting games, cuhreezy games

I disagree, my first experience with the souls series on controller was bloodborne on my cousin's netflix machine, and I've put about 20 hours in. I honestly prefer keyboard only, since I can rebind all the controls to be at my fingertips instead of having to move my thumbs off the sticks or using a claw grip so my index finger is on O.
I rebound all of the controls in DaSII so I didn't have to use the mouse.

This is true. Whenever I'm playing games that involve both vehicles and shooting, I really want to switch to a controller whenever it's time to drive or fly. And in fact, I'd even slightly prefer a stick for character movement too.

I guess when it comes down to it, I couldn't care less about the keyboard part of mouse and keyboard, it's just that a mouse is SO MUCH BETTER FOR AIMING it makes the difference alone. I suppose my ideal control setup would be some combination of the left half of a controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right. A mouse with more than the standard amount of buttons too, to be exact.

KB works great for driving. in fact I get more control, since I can just tap left or right rather than hold the stick to one direction or the other.

add in mouse control for camera and driving is much better on KB/M

I want whatever you are on

Loads. It'd be embarrassing trying to play through Ninja Gaiden with mkb.

Every platformer ever

Why wouldn't you just use a wheel?

Imprecise, gimmicky controls made for normalfags.

Controllers are better for shooters. The triggers on a controller feel like real gun triggers, it makes me feel powerful and in charge

i suggest you look into gaming keypads with an analog stick logitec g13 or something

No.
Even emulating PS2 and Wii games and assigning analog stick/wiimote motion on mouse results in much better experience.

Fighting games, cuhrayzee games, racing games, rpgs.

First person = K&M
Third person = Controller
That's my preference.

about right

the 3D GTAs were always easier on keyboard + mouse for me, except when trying to fly a helicopter, although changing the controls made it easier IIRC. its probably just because GTA's driving is unrealistic, and the drive by stuff in the newer games end up working out well with a mouse.

Platformers. Especially 3D platformers.

Try playing Ape Escape with keyboard and mouse.

I want to try a driving game with a mouse. It seems like better modelling than binary WASD or elastic thumb sticks.
I tried it in grand theft auto 5 and it was kind of cool, except that I couldn't turn off the shitty elasticity.

Why, do these gaming keypads somehow combine the left half of a standard controller and a mouse? Because I already have a 360 controller and a Dual Shock 3 to use on my PC, and they're great as far as what controllers do, it's just that analog sticks aren't nearly as good as a mouse for precise aiming. They're fine for camera control, but first or third person, they just don't precisely aim well.

Otherwise, if there is a way to simultaneously have what's good about controllers - a stick for character movement and/or steering vehicles mainly - and what's good about mouse and keyboard - mouse aiming - I'd love to know, I'd finally have the best of both worlds.

Japanese games obviously. God there were PC faggots on steam that wanted mouse support on FF13-3.

Heretics.

I prefer controllers for platformers/sidescrollers, driving games, and Monster Hunter and other action RPG types.

I don't think you could be more retarded.

Music games that need exclusive controllers and suck ass to play on keyboard compared to the arcade or arcade style for home.

Great argument billy, couldn't have said it better myself. That ebin meemee you uploaded really capitalized on what you said. Great job.

This.

Games for 12 year olds probably

Again, the PCtards set a line under the "tards".
Seriously nigga, don't just put everything in HD packs into your game. Some crap was really poorly made.

As an aside, someone out there actually plays IIDX songs with a dualshock. How in the fuck

If anything this video shows if you suck at playing a game with a controller just git gud because if this guy can do it, why can't you?

/thread
A wheel is better but takes a lot more room and costs a heap more.

Are those weird things worth it?

probably not, considering its a logitech product. Expect a shit analog stick, shit deadzones, cheap as fuck rubberdome keys.

It literally could not be more precise. Maybe you just don't know how to use one.

This thread isn't about what games are best played with a controller, this thread is about games where controller is superior to KB+M.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's not worse.

Cause the 3D GTAs had simple driving mechanics which suited static keys and if you did certain actions like arrow + hand brake there was an automatic car reaction.

Racing games have more precise turning and throttle/brake control, so for a left turn you would end up repeatedly tapping left because keyboards don't have pressure sensitive keys.

Controller is perfect for racing games as long as the triggers are pressure sensitive for the brake/gas.

source?

You just described controllers.

Fighting games. Some platformers. That's it.

Depends on what the game is designed for

Anything that requires lots of continuous presses such as DMC.

I've had no problem beating everyone on a keyboard.

Any genre that doesn't involve pointing at everything you see with your index finger like toddler. Any genre that deals with operating analogous machinery.

If you'd asked just a keyboard against a controller you'd have more of a question.

cuh-ray-zee

pretty much anything that doesn't involve a gun. third person action games like ninja gaiden or dmc, , platformers, fighting games.

luckily if you aren't a punkass you can have both a M/KB and your favorite controller handy so you can use the tool that's right for the game

I see it working out like this.

KB+M

Controllers

Could be comfortable with either

I think that covered all of it, although it really does come down to preferences and perhaps the individual game. Some action RPGs/Third Person shooters like Fallout 3/NV I prefer to play on keyboard and mouse. while something like MGS5 I can only feel comfortable on a controller.

All that being said, I guess I might have to re-adapt to doing FPS with a controller again since my machine can't run Doom 4 but I got this Bloodborne machine here that apparently can.

More or less yeah. I would also argue that platformers are better with controllers, but that could just be my personal preference.

button mashers

over the shoulder TPS, shit like Resident Evil 4
Their FoV is shit to play with Kb+M, and since there is some meele too playing with a controller just feels more natural.

sports

Every other genre execpt is better with kb+m or a wheel

I have both setups too, but unfortunately there's no perfect tool.

Besides, even if such a setup did exist, games supporting it would still be an issue. I guess if they already have controller support, making the game accept the mouse input in place of the second stick might work. But for games like, for example, STALKER, no way it'd accept tilting a little to walk and more to run. It's built for purely digital keyboard movement.

Some third-person game have the potential for precise aiming, for example using a bow in Souls games. In that case, while I definitely prefer a controller otherwise, suddenly I want a mouse BAD. I wish someone would magically invent a thumbstick with the accuracy of a mouse.

To even ask this question shows that you probably belong on Holla Forums because you clearly don't fucking play video games.

A keyboard is essentially a hitbox with more keys. I'm way more consistent with a keyboard than i'll ever be with a controller.

Any game that would make use of trigger sensitivity like racing

also you'd think fighting games, but it really goes fightstick/hitbox > fightpad > normal keyboard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> controllers without 8 direction joysticks or appropriately placed face buttons (like the 360 or PS3 controller).

that's only because the souls games have had dogshit PC ports, go play Severance or Dragon's Dogma and you'll likely find that the KB/M controls work quite well for this kind of game (DD has some shit menus and spells lock on by default though).

Also try playing one of the souls games without lockon, doing so is very frustrating with a controller (at least with enemies that move around a lot) but it's no problemo with KB/M

Games where incremental movement is important are not facilitated by a keyboard most of the time.
They can be if you can toggle or hold a key for the incremental movement, but seldom does anyone make a key to do that.

There are plenty of 3rd person games that flawlessly incorporate mouse and keyboard.
Then there are the Japanese who don't understand how that shit works and makes it so cameras jitter between set points instead of smoothly gliding.
I think the most guilty of this bullshit is Lost Planet 2's PC port.
Was one of my favorite games for 360.
Fucking unplayable gutter trash on PC with mouse and board.

Good news, there are now keyboards with analogue keys, still doesn't fix bad programming though

wooting.nl/

ITT: what is dithering

been a while nigga

Hack'n slash. Beatem ups and driving games.

Stop lying to yourself PCuck.

Almost everything.
Outside of shooters and MMOs, playing just about anything else is better with a controller than mouse and keyboard.

Pretty sure the amount of genres that actually plays better with controllers is bigger than the amount of genres better played with m/k
The only 2 genres I can think of where playing with m/k is actually good is first person and RTS.

2D games - platformers, etc

I feel really disgusted by that thought.

This is pretty impressive. But I'm pretty sure it'd be pretty expensive too. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too good for actual writing.

most people in racing games are absolute fucktards that can't into cars though

Have you played the 360 port of NMH? Is miles better than the Wii version.

I've been playing witcher 3 with a gamepad, that and 2 are terrible on keyboard. Also some 3rd person shooters like Resident Evil 4, are meant to be played with a gamepad.

I'll always feel like third person games will. Being able to direct yourself and your attacks in any direction simultaneously is (should be) an important part of the games, and keyboard will only give you 8 directions with WASD.

Keyboards are dogshit for just about everything
Except in cases where lots of buttons are needed, or where you need to type, because that's what a keyboard was built for, not for vidya

You forgot RTS but it's basically a dead genre

Instead of saying X game works better on X platform, it's best to ask what the game was designed for instead of herpa derpa sherpaing about and trying to argue that something built to mimic an actual wheel is worse for driving games than a keyboard.

PC RPGs, isometric RPGs, RTS games, twitch FPS, these are games that will always work better with the precise adjustments in pointer/aiming that a mouse allows.

I would never dream of playing a fighting game with a mouse. I've seen anons do well on Guilty Gear with keyboard, but that doesn't mean it's better. Hell you could put bears on roller skates, that doesn't mean it's better than having them out in the wild pissing on trees and mauling hipsters. 2D fighting games were designed for arcades, and arcades use sticks and big-ass round buttons, and therefore fightsticks that use the same layout/parts will always be better.

Even the controller itself is designed for compromise. They put together an input device that would allow a large variety of different sorts of games to be played with the least amount of grappling between different genres.

Everything else is arguing about shit like thinking it's okay to play wagglan gaems with anything but wagglan controls. Controls designed for a specific type of game will always have the edge over games designed around the limitations of the controls.

Stop user. Just stop.
The only thing heroes paradise got on it was a lot more of content than the original Wii release, which was really lacking on content, but everything else was terrible, from the controls to the "HD" which pretty much washed away the cel shading style it had, similar to Killer 7.
I actually played the PS3 version, with both the controller and the PS move, which sucked beyond fix. I actually did 2 runs on it, but compared to the 10+ I did on the Wii.

It wasn't that bad, I'm just saying the Wii version is better unless you compare it in content amount.

It mostly comes down to personal preference, except in cases like RTS, shooters and MMOs where KB+M is infinitely superior.
Unless the game outright lacks KB+M support or is just a bad console port that wasn't designed with KB+M in mind, there's no real advantage to a controller.

I forgot RTS because it is a dead genre, and doesn't matter for shit when you're talking about current video games. I also forgot Turn Based Strategy/4X which are genres I care about, but they're just as dead.

Pretty much anything that benefits from analogue input unless the devs thought of a clever workaround like the mouse wheel controlling movement speed in Splinter Cell

Racing, hack and slash, sports, platformers, fighters.

Didn't master of orion 3 come out recently?
What about Distant Worlds?

I remember that Sonic Adventure had a mouse control for Sonic for that very same reason. It was better than the keyboard alone, but still pretty shitty compared to, say, a controller.

The controls aren't anymore gimmicky than the genre itself.

Eitherway, what normal fag buys a racing wheel? Those things cost at least 100 dollarinos. I've yet to meet a normalfag who isn't infatuated this AAA garbage. Racing games are not that.

Ashes of the Singularity came out a month ago. Doesn't make RTS any less dead.

I just wish games like GTA properly supported advanced controllers. I've got a nice wheel and hotas stick but AAAs with driving and flying don't care.

Kill yourself fam.

I would like to know as well. Is the controller a foreign new concept, or is that thing all sticky??

she's a woman so nothing more is expected, i would like to know the context too though

REQUESTING JOOST FUCK MY SHIT UP

Whatever genre is Yakuza

easier to reach more buttons at once than a keyboard

It's easier to name the genres that are better with a KB/M than the ones that are better with a controller.

Better with KB/M

Better with controller

Just throw gyro in the controller and the shooting problem is solved.

third person action games like memel gear rising or wanker 3

You are trying too hard.

judging by how she presses the middle its probably not turning on.

Driver SanFrancso does support wheels and the rest of the kit as well I belive.
But the aiming is so much slower than a mouse even at the highest settings available.

3D beat 'em up with a hub.

What the fuck?

a hitbox aint a keyboard with a bunch of other keys that can by accidentally get in the way of you hitting the key you wish to

racing if you dont have a pedals+tire setup, combat, TPS, flying if you dont have a pedals+stick set up