G.I. Joe

Are the cartoons or comics any good or is it mostly nostalgia?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/l6jvj
archive.fo/GtQyz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I grew up in a remote part of the United States in the 1980s where we didn't have any independent TV stations that carried shit like the GI Joe or Transformers cartoons, just the three major broadcasters (ABC, NBC, and CBS) and any cartoons they had were on Saturday mornings.

Anyway 20 years later and I'm in the Marines and my sergeant brought in a DVD box set and put them on and him and a bunch of other guys in my shop were having their nostalgia moment and talking about buying the toys and all that other shit while this show was going on. This is the first time I've ever seen this cartoon in my life and it was the most retarded fucking thing I've ever seen.

A large part of my reaction was that I actually did read some of the Marvel comics adaptation when I was a kid and had thought the comic was a straight adaptation of the show and that I was missing something really entertaining.

Speaking of, anyone know here I can find a decent upload of Resolute?

So the comics are decent, the 80's cartoon is meh at best. Know anything about Renegades?

I have only seen the movie where they go to some weird valley filled with biotech and Cobra Commander turns into a snake. The main bad guy has a snake's body in place of legs, if I remember right. It was really weird.

Renegades was OK. It suffers a bit from harmless laser stuff.

The 80s were a weird time man.

and yet, incredibly prescient

sorry for embed. All my gi joe webms are on my currently dead tower

Isn't that just a Smurfs parody?

The Smurfs serve as the base layer for the parody, but I don't recall the Smurfs ever being about the choice between conformity or being outcast. Regardless of which cartoon they were parodying visually, they were satirizing the message and attitude more than any given show

So what was Cobra's political ideology? Did they even have one that was explained?

Don't worry I have plenty of GI Joe webms.

Their ideology is the weak should fear the strong.

I thank you for your service

You filthy bootlicker.

Remember when they revealed Cobra was an actual fucking reptilian working for lizard people to take over the world?

Its Hasbros old flag ship property that struggles to make a comeback in recent times while shit like Transformers atleast has been a couple good strides since the 90s GI Joe has been terrible

Sigma 6 was their "Transformers Armada chance" and Renegades actually alright.

The movie truly was a strange one.

Which one was the animated movie where Cobra Commander is actually a badass and doesn't take shit? Where he announces to his men, 'There will be no more of your crap! NONE OF IT!'

Resolute

shame it never seemed to get a HQ release.

The cartoon was fairly comparable to the other toy line cartoons. It has some good moments, but it's definitely a product of its time. For nostalgia and camp give it a watch, but it's not like it's any kind of forgotten masterpiece.

The original Marvel comics are the high mark. Anything G.I. Joe, start with these. Larry Hama was great at blending disparate aspects of genres; military, ninjas, light science fiction and just regular old comic book cliches, into a cohesive whole that kind of puts to shame other creators who think they deserve a pat on the back for mixing just two genres. Not to say these comics are perfect, there's some stupid shit that had to be shoehorned in there for the toyline, like Battleforce 2000, but they are really good.

The new G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero comics from IDW… ehhh. I like them but it probably is from nostalgia more than anything else. Larry Hama is the writer, and they are a continuation of the Marvel run, but for a current series it feels dated. He's an old man now, so it's understandable. And pic related is the regular artist, S.L. Gallant. Considering the talentless tumblristas Marvel uses now I guess you could say that puts him at above average for CURRENT YEAR +2, but really, everything he does is serviceable, at best. This pic is his best piece, and that's completely from just how busy it is. Look at all those machine guns and rockets going off. And then there's Spirit shooting a bow and arrow. Somewhere off panel is a Cobra Viper who's dying like an extra in an old Western while the rest of his comrades are also dying, but in less embarrassing ways.

So, yeah, if you really love the orginal Joe comics this series is worth it, but otherwise, maybe not.

Sitterson's G.I. Joe is current Marvel tier shit, and while I don't expect much from IDW, I'd of hoped they'd at least manage better than that.

Everything else is… okay, I guess? Picked up a few of the Devil's Due books and watched some of the other cartoons, but nothing grabbed me enough to stick with them. The movies kinda sucked but them comparing them to Michael Bay's Transformers and Ninja Turtles movies, G.I. Joe probably got off light.

To be honest, I'd say it was one of the worst Hasbro licensed live action movies, if not THE worst.

Thanks for reminding me how horrible all of that actually was. I apparently blocked half of it out.

Maybe I forgive them too much for teasing us with a Brendon Fraiser as Flint, but I'd still count them as more watchable than Bayformers and TMNT. The second one could of actually been good G.I. Joe movie if they had a better than Sci Fi Channel original movie budget and didn't bother with Bruce Willis guest starring as… Joe.

Also I'd count Byung-hun Lee as Storm Shadow as a plus. There's a lot wrong with those two movies, but they're slightly less garbage than everything else we've gotten.

Id make this a plus the Snake Eyes circle jerk has been going on since the 80s and has only gotten worse the more ninja like he became

anyone got that pic about a guy pretending to be a retard for 7 years?

What a real shame. Cobra Commander was truly a man ahead of his time. He used CGI to change the ending to King Kong, before CGI was a thing. He also used fossils to clone dinosaurs long before Jurassic Park. He also tried to save the world from fiat currency.

well, they were cool toys

I never knew I wanted this.

Never gets old.

I like how Bludd just walks off with no arm like that. No crying or yelling just bitter and walking. Also I liked the Baroness in this one minus the energy gloves she had.

Didn't one of the early IDW runs have Chuck Dixon as the writer and Cobra being this ancient organization that plans world domination and have Krake as Cobra Commander conquering a South East Asian country?

I wish there were more of these old Brothers Grinn cartoons, but 90% of them died with Megatopia and They Might Be Giant Robots. Even the Internet Archive doesn't have them.

So why are they the bad guys again? Can you really blame anyone seeking employment with them?

That changing tone of conversion in the second webm with the Crimsom Guard is so damn ridiculous it just becomes funny

Utterly bizarre looking fictional military vehicle, but having a high viewpoint when going through shallow water does make it's design have surprisingly practical use.

Cobra Commander was a true hero. Also I imagine he would have been a great shitposter. The way he dicked with Shipwreck was masterful.

I pretty much only had Cobra toys, except for Snake Eyes because "muh ninjas". I never got the Cobra Hammerhead ;_;

PORKCHOP SANDWICHES!!!

Its weird how in terms of movies and cartoon adaptations GI Joe got screwed over the hardest compared to Transformers and MLP.

It's more like it was a crap cartoon property that had a writer on the comic book who took his job really seriously and put 110% into it, and boosted its rep way above what the source material would naturally have achieved on its own. Larry Hama should get a fricken' cheque every time a GI Joe doll sells.

Polly is best Joe.

>It went from a Fight Club-style anarchist group to a full blown terrorist army with tanks and fighter jets because he just found that many people who wanted to blow shit up

What the fuck?

Even still
the take away should be that they should have had an easy job making his parts cool, yet they fucked it up and even managed to make his simple design horrible.

Weirder still, the director was the guy behind the Mummy and its sequel.

It is definitely decent. I'm only a couple issues in and I can't really see what it does particularly well but I want to keep reading.

tbh Cobra Commander's comic origins are far more believable

his cartoon origins are also far more grounded in reality than Scientology's

hey wait a minute, something doesn't sound right there…

Hama definitely put more work into it than anyone would have expected. Kind of like Bill Mantlo on Rom, Spaceknight, he just wouldn't write down.

Honestly I like that about him. He came from nothing and built himself up into one of the most powerful men in the world.

So they're ancaps or what?

I read somwhere that when Hama created Cobra Commander he was inspired by some conservative pundit in the 70's who loved the sound of his own voice. That and he originally imagined the commander to sound like Orson Welles.

Good riddance.
archive.fo/l6jvj (the interview has been pulled but someone archived that)
archive.fo/GtQyz

Do you want all the shit Sitterson he's building with his G.I. JOE run and a pozzed version of M.A.S.K. to be finished instead by another completely different creative team?

Sitterson's new Joe series literally got cancelled before issue 1 was released.

I forgot to mention "in a new miniseries" in the end.