Tribes thread

Let's have ourselves a Tribes thread

>Classic Katabatic, a tie between Ascend's Tartarus, Arx Novena, Permafrost and Bella Omega rip

In other news, Midair's been funded. Anyone here interested in it or have you entirely lost hope in anything Tribes?

Also feel free to talk shit about Ascend not being as good as Starsiege/2 and how Hirez is the worst fucking thing in existence, having dropped two really good yet unpolished games for a godawful moba and Not-Overwatch.

Speaking of Bella Omega why did they remove the map?

VGTGVGS

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OhEZfAryoyw
ragbinder.deviantart.com/art/VGS-soundboard-288692906
steamcharts.com/app/17080
tribesascend.com/stats/?player-name=xmrsunshine
tribesascend.com/stats/?player-name=prognosticator
legionsoverdrive.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M
tribesrevengeance.com/
tribesrevengeance.com/downloads/maps.php
tribesascend.com/stats/?player-name=sdmblack
tribesnext.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here's the kikestarter trailer for midair as well as a 25 minute commentated match
youtube.com/watch?v=OhEZfAryoyw

Looks pretty good, but I'm kind of worried about all the chaingun use and the kind of slow air hangtime. Also no vehicles is a shame.

Also do you still have you VGS skills?
ragbinder.deviantart.com/art/VGS-soundboard-288692906

So, that midair thing. Is it going to work out without any C&Ds? Looks pretty interesting. Anybody played it already? How well does it work?

I recall hearing that some hirez employees backed Midair so I don't think there are C&Ds incoming. Not sure on how it plays though, you'll have to ask someone who was at pax

Well, it looks pretty good and looks like fun, I could really use another tribe like game. But what is its business model? Can't seem to find anything solid on it.

Cease and desist?

That only happens with copyrighted content. You can't copyright gameplay mechanics.

I played T:A with some friends recently to see what that big December patch was like. It seems better now, but I'm still mad that the player base is mostly dead.

Bump because I think the site ate my post?

Midair is F2P, and Kickstarter backers get an "unlock everything forever" code.

I fucking miss Vengeance so much.

I tried playing Ascend when that patch was in the PTS server. Every server was either level locked(I had forgotten my account) or without players.

They fixed Ascend with an update a while ago, I was playing it for a bit, but the game has few players, it's populated by new players who suck at the game and people who have been playing it since launch.
The game itself is fine now, but the community is lacking. If they had any sense, they would "re-launch" the game.

I might redownload it and try and get some anons here to play it again. What exactly did the patch do, because as I said I haven't been able to play it

Three classes only, light medium and heavy.

You can customize their load puts pretty heavily. Lots of stupid junk weapons removed from the game.

Several new levels.

Loadout*
Fucking autocorrect

Is progression still snail paced? I hate the infiltrator because it started off with hitscan weapons and no spinfusors, and the spinfusor took ages to get

Not sure, my old level 23 account has everything unlocked, and it looks like an unlock also counts as having it mastered.

I'm not 100% sure but I think they unlocked everything for everyone. I only played right around the time they put the new changes up on the test servers so I don't know if that's still the case or is they plan to change it. I think one of the plan was that they're removing a lot of the shit weapons that broke the game, nerfed hitscan, removed the speedcap and made it more of a comsmetics based free to play model instead of the P2W or grind forever type.

Well shit, why aren't we playing it? I mean if someone got a planetside 2 clan running why could we get some anons to play this one?

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game, but what the fuck.

You have my attention.

Also I spent all of my tribes time on Starsiege, I didn't even get around to the other games until after Ascend was speedcapped.

I dunno. The player counts are crazy low though, like sub 100.

I remember reddit was rallying hard against the hitscan nerfs when the test servers came online and for all I know the speedcap might've been ok in their eyes as well. The devs were very active on reddit so it made me little afraid of this whole thing so I dropped it and figured I'd check back later so I wouldn't have to see it get torn apart again.

steamcharts.com/app/17080
How depressing. I agree with the other user, they'd be retarded if they don't "relaunch" the game or at least attract any players for it

Don't go by steam numbers alone. I play the non-Steam version.

On average how many servers are full?

Three or four at peak hours maybe? Can't say I've observed it for long enough.

faggots

Legions is cool but dead. Nothing to talk about.

Come on anons, don't you like Tribes?

Fine nigga let's talk. I'm downloading this shit right now. Ready to be disappointed again.

Post some stats.
tribesascend.com/stats/?player-name=xmrsunshine

I loved tribes back in closed beta.
I lost a bit of that love back in open beta.
I lost all hope when pay2win scrubs bought all new additions same day they were introduced, having enough time to become proficient with them while even the VIP status players had to grind for a solid two weeks to unlock 2 cheaper weapons of the weapon update, then the weapons got immediately nerfed into obsolescence before another weapons pack gets introduced.
Then there's the good maps they removed, and the shit maps they added, then the fucking voice packs so players didn't have to be male because that's too exclusionary.

and since I've only played Ascend, I can't say anything about the other games.

I haven't played in months but I guess I'll give it another shot. Any interest I had went away with that awful patch they introduced.

tribesascend.com/stats/?player-name=prognosticator

Nice

Nigger did you forget how hirez molested it after the beta?

Even fixing it now it's good example on how you don't fix what is broken.

Chasing is still the coolest shit.

Bullet weapons still seem awfully powerful and are used by pretty much everyone.

Of course they wouldn't care about having a speed cap. Just like how they think Vanu is underpowered.

I think their reasoning for the hitscan weapons was that it gives high ping players a chance. I don't even know why that's something to even consider. Some huehue with a shit connection can suck a dick as far as I'm concerned. If he can be good with a hitscan weapon then what the fuck do you think other people can do with it.

From the few maps I played it seems like all players with a high number of kills use the Eagle pistol. Usually it's a situation where they spam a few spinfusor shots at you, miss midairs, try for some splashes when you're on the ground and then just pull out the pistol and try to stay around close to mid range and peck you to death. I feel like snipers and chacers are completely useless and are replaced by mediums with Eagles going around midfield.

Shame but the game doens't seem to have changed much. You don't need to unlock the overpowered shit anymore but it's still overpowered bullshit. Midairs and going fast is what this game is about and bullshit hitscans are the exact opposite.

Maybe that hue with a shit connection should get could. Holla Forums won their match against reddit with a furry hue hue, didn't they?

GALO SENGAN

Actually people with high ping can still with practice learn to consider the delay between the click and the shot.

My favourite moment in Tribes Ascend was when I used the quick class change glitch for infinite energy & ammo, took the flag on Katabatic, and flew up out of the map and hovered there with the flag beyond anyone's reach.

Obviously they can. That's what happens in every other game but somehow here reddit thinks hitscan weapons are needed.

Here's hoping midair doesn't fall into this same trap, but the video I linked in the second post showed quite a lot of Chaingun use so I'm worried.

Dont keep your hopes up for midair, has high rof hitscan weapon now and with no way of disabling it on server.

There will never be another true tribes vidya

chaingun's always been part of Tribes, just not sure if it was always this powerful

In the hands of a decently skilled player it is absolutely op. Christ you people really wanna play with cg whoring? Fine. You go do that and enjoy your tdm during ctf.

Gimme priv server with option to disable certain weapons/equipment. If not, fuck off no purchase.

question about Midair, just how many weapons are hitscan now?
are the sniper rifles hitscan too?

They specifically said and showed the sniper rifle fired a projectile and wasn't hitscan. I think you're lying.

35:14

I'm not talking about the fuggin sniper rifle, i dont mind that as much so long as its not spammable and not able to instagib lights..

The cg is the problem, as it stands now the accuracy is ridicously tight even at long ranges since there isn't any kind of bullet drop/decay.

Also in all the gameplay vids i've seen so far the disc is awkward, it doesnt have any mid-range MA potential.

Godammit these fucking companies..

good thing i didn't kikestart

I couldn't get a hitmarker with the way snipers worked in Ascend, much less a headshot.

I think I maybe got 2 headshots in my career, but perhaps that's because I was camping instead of trying to snipe while going fast. Is that the way you're supposed to do it? I always played Pathfinder instead for maximum fast.

so, why noone plays tribes:vengeance?

I never had any luck with hitscan. I just keep getting confused whether or not I should be leading

Anyone wanna play some Legion Overdrive? Its only like 500mb download and these does seem to be a group that pugs regulary.
legionsoverdrive.com/

NEVER FORGET

First of all you should read up on what hitscan is. Then you should know that the sniper rifle in TA is not a hitscan weapon but a very fast projectile.

I know what hitscan is mate. It's just that I keep getting confused especially when I can see the projectiles coming out of a rifle, and not being able to hit an enemy even with my crosshairs on them makes me wonder if I should lead or if it's lag or what.

youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M

Didn't this game die for 2 years and just come back?

and then it died again

I gave up on he game a lon time ago, maybe a month or two after the Shazbowl.
I heard that Hi-Rez hired TotalAssCancer to be the official commentator of the game, is that true?
if so, the game deserved to go under.

The large majority of the voice packs were from Tribes 2, it has absolutely nothing to do with progressiveness on the dev's part.

so i was looking at tribes: vengeance and found this.

tribesrevengeance.com/

the game works without problems, the multiplayer works, there is no cash shop and it has a lot of maps.

why don't we revive this? it's better than waiting for hi-rez to get their shit together, because they never will.

we should really band together on this one, make it a weekly event, talk with the guys from infinity.moe and the vidya network to stream it, we can probably populate a 32 player map in no time.

also, to the people that want to download this, use the mirror, it's extremely faster

HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND

So should I bother downloading or is the player count dead in the water? I saw this video and I'm pretty close to redownloading it(besides his faggotry and casualness regarding hitscan)

I always thought Holla Forums would love the shit out of vengeance. The grabbler is fun as fuck and there's a map/modding tools.
vid has some good grapple footage but DnB for music

i never understood why people keep whining about ascend when vengeance is there for everyone to play.

and it's better too.

If it has a decent player count I'd play it.

Looks like it has exactly 0 players according to the stats page.

Tribes 2 has been around for a while as well, and even Tribes 1 got a fan server recently. They all have communities that are big enough to have up to 15v15 at times.
It's just that because the games are old so the people are generally older and thus have families and work, so you can't play until the evening or night EDT.

that's why i say we need to create the community, round up people, and make it a weekly event so people get accostumed to the game and come back on their own.

the community will not magically appear out of thin air.

doom is older and still have a decent multiplayer community, most of the people that want to play tribes don't even know the game exists.

just grant me this one wish
please.

revengeance is ded

we revive it, it's not even hard, just play there and call more people to play there too.

which day is better to make a "weekly tribes play session here on Holla Forums?" we put up the links in OP and round up people to play on it.

I'd be down.

EU or NA?

Can I come?

I'm down too.

Say, you aren't HL3 Has Stopped Responding, are you? Wouldn't want to disappoint you twice.

NO

Starseige
Diamond Sword
I haven't played in almost 20 years so I've totally forgotten the map names.
Nah.

Ascend was the only one I played, but I adored it.
Sand Raker
Katabatic
Arx Buster
SEN
been so long i forgot em all

Any idea if it'll run on GNU/Linux systems?

the main point is reviving the game, it doesn't matter if your ping sucks.

i don't know what you're talking about man.

Just played a few matches, 4v4 or 3v3 was it. I actually did pretty well regarding how long it has been since I last played. Remember to install the map packs at tribesrevengeance.com/downloads/maps.php

at least get the BEML, REV and TVRL maps.

the more hoops we put between installing the game and having fun the less people will play user.

we can think about map packs later, for now let's play the ones everyone get with the base install and then we throw in packs as people play the ones they already have, that way we easy people on playing the game and restrict the game to a smaller list of new maps so people can find the classics in-between them.

Definetly, I can't be fucked to download 16 map packs. That's just fucking ridiculous.

I've never been GOOD at Tribes, but I can go pretty fast. I've been hopping on every once in a while, so we could probably get some other people to join us more regularly

I agree, lets go with revengeance. Best chance for tribes-e feels.
I'd be willing to downloads all the mappacks, apply some compression, reup on mega~

rip

I've compiled all the mappacks into one easy to install archive and made sure whilst doing so to use the latest versions when i encountered duplicates in the various packs.

mega(DOT)nz/#!R4pX2YgI!wDNJca9dEKPXL1aLQ21We-h3lGLvGjqZGZvrcZcwySU
I don't know what the lmit is for free mega acc though.

Maybe i'll compile some mods later. I wonder if there's a hd pack somewhere..

This (and other hacks) is why I stopped playing Tribes.

I played Starsiege up until the master servers got taken down. You are my bro.

tribesascend.com/stats/?player-name=sdmblack

I've heard this same story before, and what I recall is that the notion that the game is "fixed" is bullshit.
Did they remove the speedcap?
Did they remove or nerf into the ground all the bullshit EZ mode weapons such as automatics, gigantic projectiles, spare spinfusor, juggy spinfusor, etc?

tribes like? nigger, EVERY sniper in EVERY tribes game is hitscan. snipers have a purpose and are completely necessary to be hitscan in tribes

first we would need to decide what the best tribes game to revive would be. tribes 1 is turning out to be my favorite because i hate how skiing was handled in tribes 2, but ive also never played revengeance. and depending on the game the community chooses, you would also need to distribute the game (they are all freeware) with all the recommended scripts (like skiing scripts for tribes 1 since that is as you could imagine a necessity). sunday would probably be the best because underaged poorfags who would actually give a free game a shot would be off school and most businesses don't make people work on sunday anyways so maybe net some nostalgiafags

>though I had fun using stealth and letting them explode out of the blue

Shit I missed that so much.

actually now that ive been replaying them, tribes 2 is pretty much tribes 1 with better graphics and popular scripts in the base game already. guess i was nostalgic, id love to give vengeance a try if anyone would like to join me

Tribes 2 here
tribesnext.com/

alright, why the absolute fuck is the tribes meme never about tribes vengeance this is fucking great

the weapons feel amazing
the controls, feel fucking amazing
the singleplayer trumps the lack thereof of all other titles
faster than the other games as far as i can tell
it crashed on the third level for me though and the mouse input is fucked up. almost perfect game though, wish it weren't so fucking dead