Linux runs on the PS4

Someone did it, plays games too via Steam OS.

Don't know if this has any actual consequences, but there you go.

Other urls found in this thread:

cyberlaw.stanford.edu/packets001637.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Didn't Sony have official support for Linux on PS2 or something? Why'd they stop?

Turns out it backfired on them in the end

They also had it on PS3 and stopped because of a metric ton of exploits

What's the actual point though? You could just buy an actual computer with decent hardware rather than buying a console with last-gen hardware to use as a computer.

The opposite happened, OtherOS was almost all homebrewfags could have wanted, but some wanted RSX access so they dug a bit, Sony decide to SHUT IT DOWN, then homebrewfags went for an actual exploits to do what they wanted and that resulted in piracy which wouldn't have been really possible through OtherOS apparently.

So in short if Sony stuck with OtherOS the PS3 wouldn't have had as much people working on actually hacking it..

Ps4 piracy.

If it's possible to dual boot I'd be genuinely interested. Otherwise, there's not much point. The hardware on a PS4 isn't a great enough bargain to justify this.

I wonder if the PS4 has a good power to price ratio. Remember how the Air Force used thousands of PS3s to form a super computer?

In Computer tech it's actually 2 generations old.

Cell was a server architecture, provided you had coded specifically for it it would flatten any x86 CPU of the time, if you didn't it couldn't beat a P4 @ 2.0Ghz, in some secific scenario it couldn't even beat the Wii CPU.

Nope, you can grab far better everything for just as cheap regardless of the usage.

You wouldn't be able to play any new Japanese games on it though.

Does it at least run at 60fps?

Why is not important in most of these cases, its about doing it. Like displaying quake on an osciloscoop.

The real world implications of this are that somebody found a way to bypass some part of the PS4 system which might help for piracy. Other than that, probably not much going to be done with it.

You can make a "super computer" out of anything, given that you have enough machines to network together.

Hell you don't even technically need all the machines to have matching hardware, cluster computing is an old fucking technology, like 4 years ago I even toyed with a cluster made from a bunch of old computers people had thrown out.
Two distros were made for the purpose of cluster computing, clusterKnoppix and ChaOS. People are making clusters out of raspberry pi computers nowadays.

I am aware of that, the interesting part is that the Air Force explicitly went with the PS3 because of cost efficiency.

But Linux doesn't have any games either…

I think it has more than ps4. Not really an achievement though.

So the PS4 finally has games?

It's interesting, but a goddamn Steambox will do everything better, except for Bloodborne.

Or a branding deal.

Can't wait to play quake?

This exploit has already been shown but this one takes like 2 minutes to boot

Some of the things to keep in mind, PS3 had a different CPU architecture, this is no longer the case for newer consoles, further on, consoles were sold under total costs because they would recoup on the games. However this is likely also no longer the case.

Steam has a couple thousand games for Linux at this point. That's a bigger game library than PS4 and XBone put together.

Bloodborne counts as 50,000 games

50000 gone homos LMAO

whats next you're going to say Uncharted 4 is a game

I don't think you'd play actual games on your Linux installation on the PS4, the performance is likely horrible because of driver issues, general quality of Linux ports and the fact that the PS4 is underpowered and needs games specifically optimized for its hardware.

wait for the PS4.5 and if the firmware can be exploited

pretty much sums up linux; using simple tools for complex jobs

Probably that's because it looked cooler in the drawing, but it's precisely the reason why it's fuckin stupid to play an FPS on a console.

Can you imagine actually buying a ps4?

Congratulations, hackers have turned the PS4 from a locked down game console to an…overpriced AMD Jaguar based PC…

Also for those wondering, it is absolutely possible to boot Windows as well, even if they can't get a way to start the Windows bootloader, you can use Linux to chain load it

And for that matter it should in theory be possible to run PS4 games natively in regular PCs as well, but we might gen another Xbox original situation where their implementation of x86_64 is too overly elaborate and goes one-way

Sony not only had PS2 Linux, the PS3 had a feature called OtherOS that allowed people to boot Linux for PowerPC processors and was officially supported by Sony, the US Navy even purchased several PS3s to use as web servers because IBM officially supported the PS3 through Yelloedog Linux, a distro for the Cell processor specifically. Sony wanted the PS3 to be a home PC, game console, and entertainment system basically

Then they went full fucking retard and threw it all away like a bunch of retards while they were bleeding money on a failing system with no games

*Yellowdog

That's pretty sad, they blew it mang.

Also PS4 piracy when? That might be the point where i get one like i did with the PS2 and 360 back on their day.

What would you pirate?

Weeb games and Bloodborne

You're a few weeks late to the party.

Also

The sad thing is they really had no good reason to remove it, they just blamed developers lack of enthusiasm towards the PS3 (I cite Gabe Newell calling it a waste of time) on features designed to give users more freedom because they figured devs thought it would be easy to exploit the PS3 and pirate games from it, they wanted to solve a chicken and egg problem to get people to start buying PS3s by getting devs to make games for it, in reality it was because the Cell was a clusterfuck to make games for. Then they sued the shit out of people like Geohotz for trying to get OtherOS back, fuck Sony they can rot in hell

Supercharged pc.

its an AMD cat core m8

Come on, m8, it's been a joke since it's been called that in 2013.

Obviously not so much here since I've never run into that "joke" before

Too bad.

I don't get it

Google 'playstation 4 supercharged pc'.

At least bloodborne has gameplay

They shut it down because the airforce where buying them in bulk and weren't buying games.

get a load of this guy who doesn't have blue skin

Wasn't the PS2 and PS3 originally running some proprietary form of FreeBSD or something?

he ate half of a tiny fish and put it back down as well

I'm fucking crying why is this so funny

Because it like macfags getting excited over getting Portal on steam for free when their mouse only has one button.

The PS3 and 4 run FreeBSD, the PS2 just ran some rudimentary firmware

PS4 runs freeBSD as well. Just customized to what they needed.

wow I always wanted to install a botnet on a console that I just de-botnetted by installing linux

but does this enable playing pirated PS4 games?

back to the hugbox freetard
>>>Holla Forums

goddamn

The only reason why the Playstation brand has any association with Linux is because of a European Union excise duty loophole Sony tried to exploit. They tried to classify the PS, PS2 and PS3 as computing devices to avoid consumer electronics tariffs as they offered debugging tools for them. It didn't work out and they had to pay back billions in Euros.

cyberlaw.stanford.edu/packets001637.shtml

After they lost they removed OtherOS from the PS3 resulting in more lawsuits from the US. It's why the PS4 is the only one to not have any official Linux support from Sony.

it feels like every day I get more and more reasons to hate this company with a passion, Sony makes Microsoft look like humanitarians

Isn't Steam on Linux missing the whole point?

Microsoft isn't even fucking close you fucking moron.

Would have been better if what you said actually made sense.

(nice)
There's rumor that Bill Gates went into an aspie rage when Sony said they weren't interested in having Windows on the Playstation platform. Dean Takahashi's Opening The Xbox book corroborates it. I'd say MS worse than Sony when it comes to Linux.

Some consider it a pollution of their free software ecosystem, others are glad that GPU drivers might not be utter shit if gaymers start demanding it.

When it comes to open source, MS is certainly worse. And in many other things, they probably are as well. But Sony does its best in being bad.
MS has things like their horrible open document format support, even ensuring that their shit document formats are the "open" standards.
As well as lawsuits against various linux related things. IE bundling and so on. But they are improving.

Sony has things like their malware scandal and many more.

no fuck you, sony is the least of the bads, they don't fuck you with a 11 inch rod like microsoft does, microsoft literally owns you by the operating system, advertising, schools and education (that you pay for to the government back to the schools to pay every year for software microsoft created)

Of course, but so do apple and facebook as well as google.

But then again all of them have a bigger ability to do these things than sony has. Sony however will also fuck you over in the little ways that they can.

yeah and how does sony fucks you over?
you could argue the attacks and weak security on sony's database/servers, with credit card stealing, but the same thing has happened with valve and is common on all platforms. But they apologized with free shit similar to Nintendo with the 3DS.

So… can you run PCSX2 on SteamOS on the PS4 for jerry-rigged backwards compatibility?

Back to freetard hugbox m8
>>>Holla Forums

I played through Portal on a mac.