4 bedrooms

How did Homer afford this?

Don't they live outside their means in crippling debt?

What the hell is that room behind the garage on the other side of the hallway?

Stairs to the basement.

Also the basement entrance has moved around and I think Maggie's room and the bathroom are switched around.. What the fuck is going on?

You mean the Rumpus room?

The Frank Grimes episode noted it. Also Springfield is a pretty shitty neighborhood so property values would be in the dumps.

Also a new simpsons episode had them lose ownership due to an adjustable rate mortgage (look! we're relevant!) and now Flanders owns their house and rents it to them. It's new simpsons so it doesn't count.

Wasn't that an episode in 2010

Anything past season 8 or so, is into Zombie Simpsons territory.

And LOBSTER! For DINNER!

True, but 2010 still isn't "new".

Springfield is filled with pollution and organized crime. Real estate is bound to be cheap.

He didn't, Abe paid for it.

Depending on who you ask, the Zombie Simpsons cut-off can go as far as Season 10 or 11, but post-Season 8 is widely regarded as the point where the episodes started becoming more Miss than Hit.

Show was written by faggots born into well-off families that rarely, if ever, had to worry about money. People like that don't associate with commoners outside of going to the store or buying drugs, so they don't have a good grasp on how an average person lives.

They don't show it often but it was in the 3 Men and a Comic Book

it was the 80s. people werent as poor back then.

- It was the 80s/90s
- Springfield's a town, not a city. Property values would probably be lower
Also, I only count two bathrooms

One downstairs, between the kitchen and the mystery room that never existed, and two upstairs.

You mean this section here, that's never been in the show before (or at least for as long as I bothered to watch it)?

It was probably used once or twice and they felt the need to add it in for some reason.

I swear to god I've never seen that TV room ever before. Maybe in one of the very early episodes?

That's the one.

The carpet strikes me as vaguely familiar. A quick google search shows that some people have been aware of this room and it's very, very rare appearance in the show. Seems even the creators forgot about it.

The master bathroom is tiny and cramped.
When does it ever work that way?

It was written by boomers.

That's your standard middle class home. Especially in the 80s/90s when property values were lower.

You can see in this episode here that the basement door is right next to the kitchen, and there's a wall behind it.

One episode in season two. The needed Homer to have a clear view of the treehouse outback so they could have a gag of him watching tv while the kids are fighting outside the window, but I could have sworn that room was on the second floor.

Which episode? Not the one with Radioactive Man #1?

Not sure where you grew up, but it would be difficult to afford supporting a house like that with a single blue collar salary even in the 90s. If my relatives are to be believed, single salary supporting a family of five and a large house was not common past early 80s. At least in Northern Illinois.

The house is not particularly big. It's two floors. Given the location (suburbs, small town) let's say that it cost about $600,000. If Grandpa Simpson paid for a portion of it, Homer could probably afford the rest on a mortgage.

First, that's not even close to a reasonable price for a house, even right now. Look on Zillow for an idea of realistic prices.

Second, Homer is the safety inspector at a nuclear power plant. Ignoring the fact that he's incompetent, he'd nominally make a nice salary. Facilities like that are also commonly located in underdeveloped towns, to minimize their expenses - amplifying his buying power.

Also, there's a good chance that his house is a cheapo McMansion, built to list at a high square-footage and nothing else. They continually joke about how the house is falling down, even though the show is from the 90s and the design of the house is contemporary.

That's what my house cost, more-or-less

You either severely overpaid, live in a palace, or bought a place in a middle of a hipster neighborhood/on the shore in a large, hip city. You can get nice homes for $200k in the suburbs of most major American cities.

It's no palace, I can tell you that. It is outside a city.

They actually did build a real Simpsons house years ago as a prize in a competition.

And of course they half-assed it.

Season 4, episode 10 'Lisa's First Word'

"Well here's what they're asking."
"Ohhh I can't afford that!"

"Alright son, I'll sell this dump and write you a cheque"
"Dad, first you give me life, now you've given me a home for my family, I'd be honored if you came to live with us."
"Thank you"

"So how long til you shipped Grandpa to the old folks home?"
"About 3 weeks"
"hahahaha"

Homer couldn't afford it and could only buy it when Grandpa sold his house and gave the money to Homer.

Correct.
But also the episode with the Foster dad. Homer is supposed to pick up Bart from soccer practice and forgets, and one shot includes Homer in the Rumpus Room watching tv.

Looks like some Claymation shit

I know the chimney was a fake.

This looks like someone from Nevada or New Mexico half-assing a home from northern half of the country. They could not even get the bay windows right.

What city? San Francisco?

Farther east

Wow.. the fucked up pretty much every detail.

Hit the nail on the head, it’s near Las Vegas.

I know the colors are wrong due to home owners association bullshit. Doesn't explain some of the other stuff though, like where is the master bedroom's window?