Games continue to become increasingly taxing on hardware

The lighting and surfaces have gotten much better.

Too bad those things make my computer chug.

Try 9, soon to be 10.

diminishing returns
turn off AO and tessilation

SHUT UP AND UPGRADE YOUR HARDWARE GOY

i bet you're the kind of faggot who turns off lighting, too

What about Witcher 3? I thought that one was supposed to look pretty good.

They should all go back to N64/PS1 level graphics universally and make 200fps the industry standard, then start working graphics back up from there without allowing FPS to dip below that number on any game's minimum settings.

It does look good but it was downgraded from what was originally shown because pretty much all third party developers had unrealistic expectations of what current gen console power would be, so they had to dial everything back to 1.5 to make it work. As a result the colours are all weird and the draw distance and other little features are all fucked.

AO, aka weird skin bloom? I turn it off because I've never seen it done right. I prefer clean lines to shiny HDR on every fucking surface just because.

You're not far wrong. Setting a minimum standard and requiring that and then moving forward would be fucking great. 1080p at 144hz, 4k at 60hz, minimum. If you can't do that you don't deserve to publish.

Hardware is being used to cover for shitty optimization.

That does seem to be the case.

I miss when you could just fuck with the configs of almost any game and get it running smoothly on things outside the system requirements and still have fun because there's an actual fun game behind the graphics.

I remember doing that with Unreal Tournament back when it came out just to squeeze out a few extra frames.

Remember when games, especially exclusives, used to be optimised and squeezed onto consoles with apparently superhuman effort?

Though that's probably even more ruinous costs than AAA game development already is nowadays. And more money that can't be spent on marketing.

or fucking with the .ini files to set graphical settings way above what the game interface allows or enabling shit the devs didn't put into the final game

Couldn't somebody make a linux distro that is nothing but a pleb console interface you can boot instead of windows with a press of a button? What really is the bottleneck that makes it not happen even in 2016, is it just impossible to make a graphics card out of the box compatible with linux?

I expected this to happen already in 2007. That when people were buying Wiis, somebody would have come and said "you can transform an average PC into my console with my games on it just by downloading a free software from my site! And it's still your computer if you turn it on normally, or my solution if you turn it on in a different way."

I just can't fathom how consoles keep moving units at all, when this isn't.

At this point, I'd say that lighting is about 90% of what's left to improve in graphics.

The other 10% would be simply having the same detail we can currently have in small maps and/or only a couple characters, but in large maps with a lot of characters running around.

Any game with a realistic aesthetic will look like shit in ~8 months, coined by Andy Gavin.
Shit dude everyone knows this.

Believe me, I'm all about being sick of games going for realism, I already get photorealism in real life, I don't need it in my games too.

But Undertale's super retro presentation is just a different kind of bad. I want games with stylized art direction, but realized through the fanciest graphics possible. You know, like how the cartoony games of yesterdecade looked as fancy as the hardware back then allowed. I am so tired of the idea that realism is the only use for fancy hardware.

No.

People think it's becoming harder and harder to make good or good-looking video games, even when they pretty much look the same, if not even worse due to the increased obsession with post-processing and introducing older camera flaws like chromatic aberration as new visual effects.

There is no understandable point where something absolutely has' to be more demanding other than simply putting in more and more content and onscreen elements at once. If anything vidya should become even better optimized and smoother than ever. There is no real endgame with optimization, and if someone figures out how to make a game run more smoothly and cleanly, then it only means that such methods can be reproduced and further refined.

Megatextures and uncompressed sound files.

Not to mention that the content creation tools themselves have become so much better than they used to be. It's way easier to make stuff with modern software than it used to be. So while I get that the most advanced cutting edge graphics keep getting more and more difficult, it'd be easier, purely in terms of raw artist man hours, to make something that looks like a PS2 game now than it was to make actual PS2 graphics back then.

And on top of that, more processing power means you can cut corners to achieve graphical level X than you could afford to before, so that makes things easier too. Or stuff like improved lighting helps too, it's hard to describe how nice it is not to have to wait for upwards of hours for re-baked lighting every time you want to change something and make sure it all looks nice.

So personally, I see a silver lining to the graphical tech race, while the cutting edge may always take tons of work, being a bit behind the curve gets easier and easier. And eventually, behind the curve will be about as good looking as anybody could possibly care for. Imagine a world where you never ever have to worry about making annoying LODs again!

You mean SteamOS?

So every Linux distro unless you're brain dead retarded?

No they don't.

Coming from somebody who owns a toaster it pisses me off more and more each day that devs can't optimize their shit to work.

Even though there's not that much shit I'de consider downloading today it still pisses me off that I can't because morons can't figure out how to make particle effects not make my PC chug at 5FPS.

I don't know motherfuckers, what do I mean?

what is this shit anyway, did they 3d print an already ugly elf face, repeatedly smash it into a wall, scan the debris and make that shit the actual character?

i think it basically comes down to
aesthetics/visual design>>>>>>>>>>>> graphical fidelity

having global occlusion and volumetric lighting out the ass are nice features, but they won't make your game look better than metal slug

thats intentional

Ugly makes unique.

Im still salty dark souls 3 runs like shit on my comp, all I wanted was to finish the last game in the series but nope get fucked, doesnt matter if you play on high or low. Even if you put it on the lowest resolution possible it will still make no difference, its like they did this shit on purpose.

I don't think he was referring to undertale, I think that is what they call a "reaction image"

fuck you.

I miss when TF2 had a console command that let you use uncompressed textures. They took it out in the Mac update, thanks Applefags!

Remember when RCT was written in assembly to get it to run on that generations hardware? Imagine what a game would be like if a dev had that much dedication today.

tf2?

make cel shade triple AAA multiplayer shooter game about sprinting head first into the nearest player and mashing the fire button

game engine runs stats from 8 years ago
pocket the 20 million extra dollars left over from dev budget
watch as goyim buy call of dutylista at record numbers

Nah user. Don't confuse effort with laziness. There is no effort to optimize. Just half ass anything and boom make it bigger than it really is.

six years? make it 9 years on PC

Crysis and HL2 still look good.

No they don't, fag.

they havent looked better because they always stay within the range of the console generation.

but games like stars wars and street fighter 5 look great.

UWP is shit and doesn't allow people who buy retarded expensive HW to fully enjoy it a large chunk of DX12 only games will go through it (mostly because right now most of the DX12 only games are backed by MS more or less directly), and DX12 only has MS backing , every fucking other company that has an interest in graphics API has backed Vulkan even fucking Apple who are developing their own low level API.

Call me when they make AO look not shitty.

Try 10

I keep seeing this happen. What is it about Fallout 4 that turns enemies into clocks?

It's because developers want their games to look REALISTIC and that art style ages like fucking milk. It's no surprise games like Wind Waker and shit like that still look great to this day. Devs can't into art styles

/agdg/ here. You said it, brother.

Currently using UE4 to make a PS2 level game. Minimum geometry to render a shape, diffuse maps… I'm thinking of even dropping normal maps altogether. No need for LODs.

Haven't touched the asset store in ages.

Blame indie fags with their faggot retro shit games

Her crotch looks very, very weird.

her cheeks look like nixon without the wrinkles and
her crotch goes too low, look up some proportions, anonumoo~

Crysis definitely looks great today, though you might want the Natural Mod and the Ultra High Config Mod (Which actually improves performance, helped my ancient 8800 GT run the game well enough while looking great).

looks like hiding dick

TECHNOLOGY

enjoy your poverty and shitty looking games with 1366x768 resolution at 60hz :)

Wirth's law: software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster.