THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN

Since The Death of Superman is going to be the basis for the upcoming Doomsday Cock, DC's latest terrible sales gimmick exciting line-wide event, I've decided to read it. I've also decided Holla Forums is going to read it too, because if I'm going to suffer, you're going to suffer with me.

So get ready for a journey into the past, back to when DC destroyed the public trust in comics forever.

In my reading order, they call the first four issues of the Death of Superman saga the "Oncoming Doom". That's fitting, considering my only knowledge of Superman comes from reading a lot of Silver Age comics. I don't know how I'll handle the massive changes John Byrne did to the character (though he was off the book when this event started).

The first issue is Man of Steel #17, and I'm already kinda "what?"

Ok, this black kid going down into the scary moloch caves is confusing me because I genuinely think he's crazy. I don't know why he would assume the monster-man that stole his cat and immediately headed for the underground monster tunnels is his mother who abandoned him at an orphanage. The mother that he thinks looks like the magazine pin-up. Man these fucking writers.

So there are gangs in Metropolis that shoot each other over control of the city's junkyard. Because we know the big business for drugs is in junkyards. Anyway, they get killed by a monster thing.

Oh, and the black kid got the whammy put on him and is now going to be lizard witch stew.

What the fuck is this shit? There are fucking ooga-booga monster mother-fuckers living in Metropolis's sewers? And Superman just knows about this and does nothing about it?

There are also aliens with them, I guess. Aliens that are running an underground freak-show society that want to take over the surface world and establish a communist society. To accomplish their glorious revolution, they need guns. Not like blaster guns, but regular old guns that Superman is impervious to.

Anyway, they're going to kill the kid they saved from becoming lizard witch stew. I guess in addition to commies, they're bigots because they don't want black people in their gross soup.

Death of Supes was a transparent cash-grab from the get go, I don't even know how it got so famous.
It gets worse when 5 fucking supes IIRC appear.
That's the reason I liked the animated movie more.

Superman saves the kid from bonersarusrex and the other Robin R. Bottin rejects, but falls for the same fucking trick as before and the entire lot of them disappears.

Superman, you're the strongest mother fucker on earth. You can just chuck the fucking grenade really fucking far, really fucking fast. You don't need to fucking hold it.

So yeah, this is why it's a fucking Death of Superman tie in. Just fucking fists banging against a metal wall because Doomsday is fucking coming.

Stay tuned until next time when we go on a "not very exciting" time adventure.

Have you seen the guys interviewed about this story? The way they talk and justify it, it feels like people trying to explain away the murder they committed.

What "public trust"? Superman getting killed was easy bait for people who didn't know better, and the real joke is that 25 years later, they're still easily wowed by that kind of shit.

It's not an event, it's a maxi-series.

Before The Death of Superman, the general public trusted comics. This was before killing off characters was common-place, and so when DC said they were going to kill Superman, they believed it. They got emotionally invested in it, because Superman was a beloved cultural icon. People who hadn't bought comics since their childhood bought The Death of Superman.

The Death of Superman was also the first major disconnect between a comic company and the general public. Since they were knee deep in comics, the people writing, editing, and publishing it thought it was assumed they were always going to bring Superman back. They didn't understand that normies took them at their word, so when Superman returned, they felt conned.

After that, the public never trusted comics again and forever ignored them. The Death of Superman taught regular people that nothing actually matters in comics.

Warner's going to release a more faithful adaptation of DOS in 2018, followed by "Reign Of The Supermen" in 2019.

You're getting your super babies.

If Death of Superman is anything like Knightfall, then at least they're getting to the real meat of event instead of just the big fight.

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY KNIGHTQUEST MOVIE, DC?

Is it really the comic book people's fault that people are idiots?

Hey…I like Reign of the Supermen. Especially Shades Superman.

That show was too good for this world.

Yes, because DC was actively deceiving the public. They could see that the media and the public were taking this seriously, but they made no effort to disclose that Superman's death was temporary. In fact, they relied on the general public's lack of understanding of comics to hype the event, getting them all worked up over a publicity stunt. This hype even extended to the neckbeards, who genuinely thought that DC was going to kill Superman and have him stay dead like they did with Jason Todd.

Superman #75 remains the highest selling comic of all time. Three million issues sold out on the first day of release. When DC brought back Superman after less than a year, many readers and the general public felt they'd been had. It severely damaged the speculator market, as DC flooded the market with copys and made the issue worthless. Overall, The Death of Superman exacerbated the decline of the comic industry and contributed to the Great Comic Book Crash of 1993.

I completly blocked that one out from happening.

Reading the Death and Return on its own is a bad idea. Such a bad idea that DC released a whole bunch of trades of stories preceding it in a time when trades weren’t that common.

If you read it on its own, you will be confused by:
Matrix Supergirl
Lex Luthor II
Team Luthor
Lois being engaged to Clark
Bloodwynd
Maxima
Mongul/Warworld
Cyborg Superman
Eradicator
Underworlders
Gangbuster
Guardian & everything at Cadmus
Linear Men

It’s very much of its era. There was a lot of build up and it’s much less satisfying when you have to ignore a lot of it because you don’t know what the fuck is going on.

From Action Comics 678, the origin of Luthor II

From Action Comics 677, the abridged origin of Matrix Supergirl.

Which they've done since the '50s
Because saying that outright would have spoiled the story. If the public was too dumb to see the foregone conclusion, it's not DC's problem
Neckbeards should have understood the fucking difference between fucking Robin (who was already replaced once and relegated to sporadic appearances in Batman books starting from about the '70s) and fucking Superman
Speculators being retards is, again, not DC's problem. Any idiot who actually reads comics could have told you that any comic book printed since 1980 is unlikely to be valuable, due to high print runs combined with people keeping comics as collectibles vs the low print runs and comics being treated as disposable attitude of the pre 80s. Even landmark comics like Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns aren't particularly valuable today. Golden Age comics are, conversely, genuinely rare.

You claim that DC ruined the comic industry, but from where I'm sitting, based on what you've said, the blame seems to rest with non-comic book readers trying to spin some money out of a business they hadn't the first idea about.

From Adventures of Superman 460, the origin of the Eradicator, aka Visor Superman

From Superman (vol 2) 50, Clark and Lois get engaged.

I don't think anyone cares about the binary fact of them bringing back Superman, to do it within the year that you killed a character off is retarded. That's not a lot of time in comics, and you can explore a lot of shit with that concept. But one year is just fucking insulting to storytelling as a whole.

From Superman (vol 2) 32, an introduction to Mongul

They kind of did what they wanted with him dead in the Funeral for a Friend arc. Bear in mind that Superman was essentially a weekly comic at this point, split between Action Comics, superman vol 2, adventures of superman and superman the man of steel. Plus they wanted him back for Zero Hour.

Not to mention that the only reason they did this stunt in the first place was because they'd planned to marry Lois and Clark, but the TV show of the same name wanted to do it on TV as well. So the Superman writers had to put all their initial plans to one side for at least a year while the crappy TV show laid the groundwork for the Clark Kent/Lois Lane marriage.

They understood that DC killed Batman's sidekick of fifty years, something they genuinly didn't think they'd do. They called the kill number thinking there was no way they'd do it. When they did, suddenly all bets were off. If DC could kill the Robin of Batman & Robin, then it stood to reason they could kill Superman and break Batman.

Only now we know all of that shit was a scam.

Nigger will you just fuckin listen for once and stop thinking you know shit? Goddamn he knows what he is talking about and your just flappin your fingers like a bitch flappin her gums.

Was this the biggest selling comic of all time? At the time even my parents bought a copy thinking it might be worth something one day.

Are you mentally damaged or just underage?

Wasn't it some supreme autist with an auto-dialer that flooded the kill number?

I've never read death of superman, just played the game for the SNES before I even learned english.

What was Shades Superman and why did he fuse with superman to get his powers back? Also, what is cyber superman?

That would be hillarious.

"Oncoming Doom" is still oncoming.

In Superman #73, we get go on a trip into time. The abstract concept of time, not the "let's go visit Abe Lincoln" kind of time.

We're first introduced to the ever popular GREEN LANTERN BOOSTER GOLD, and one of the Linear Men. The Linear Men are what DC did with Rip Hunter, Time Master after Crises on Infinite Earths. I think they got forgotten after the early nineties.

There are time problems that involve Waverider, who is not a bitchin' super-surfer but instead a character introduced in the cross-over Armageddon 2001. Waverider is made of time, so you know that's kind of a problem I guess.

Cyborg Superman is actually Hank Henshaw. He poses as Superman to destroy his reputation.

Shades Superman (thank you..someone else actually used that moniker) is the Eradicator, a robot used to preserve alien culture..that got hijacked by a Kryptonian named Kem-L and turned into a machine that destroys other culture to preserve Kryptonian culture. The robots at the Fortress of Solitude rebuilt him and Eradicator uses solar energy reserves from Superman's corpse to build him a body. Only downside? That experiment gave him Superman's memories as well so at a time, he thinks he is the real Superman

Which Matt Ryder is he? I recall there's like 2 Waveriders.

That sounds needlessly complex yet disappointing.

Do you know what I want from my Superman comics? Wife-beating, awkward dinner dates with childhood sweet-hearts, and some old guy dying while Superman is trying to eat. That part is an essential element to Superman.

So Waverider shows up, because he's the kid and that old guy is his grandpa. He also hates the fuck out of the Linear Men and he just grabs a confused Superman to storm their lair beyond the reaches of time.

Soon all will be explained. Maybe.

Well, Eradicator's history is pretty complex. Henshaw started out as a Fantastic Four knock-off, with him, his wife and two other folks were sent into space for an experiment…and blamed Superman for causing the flare that made him what he is.

I called him Hitman Supes back then

Is it just me..or Rip Hunter looks like Cable?

Ok…the post is gone…

This clears that up for you. He's the "other" Waverider, I think. Well, we meet a Waverider that isn't made of time.

And then Waverider kills him, I mean the Waverider made of time kills the Waverider not made of time. You'll get it. All the while Superman is just baffled on what the fuck is going on.

Two things…one, Rip Hunter looks like Cable and less like his Silver Age and Booster Gold's son counterpart and two, shouldn't Waverider be erased from history then? I mean, his 2001 counterpart just murdered his "current" counterpart.

No, because they were two different Waveriders from two different time-lines.

Oh, and because the Waverider made of time killed the Waverider not made of time, they've fallen into a paradox. I think.

Waverider gets them out of the paradox he created by creating another paradox by pulling a version of the Waverider not made of time a nano-second before he got killed. He then decides to join the Linear men and Superman gets back to his awkward dinner date just in time to watch some old guy die. Lovely.

The time shenanigans are a fun idea. Too bad it's in a bland, overly serious comic. Oh, and Doomsday is coming.

Sure it's not the same Rip Hunter…but I find it funny that Rip finds Booster Gold to be important…knowing what he's doing after 52.

To be fair..I like this build up to Doomsday. We don't see him, just his fist pounding metal.

You might be onto something there, considering…

I can't tell you how much I hate shit like this. Rip-off digs at your competitors cheapens your product. Unless it's EXTRANO that is.

I almost wonder if it was always Jurgens' plan to have Booster create Vanishing Point from the beginning, or if that was an idea that came way later.

I like to think that Jurgens did plan it from the start…but things happened that took him awhile to implement it.

Except that DC brought 'Robin' back less than a year later (A Death in the Family concluded in January 1989 and A Lonely Place of Dying concluded the end of that year, with Tim Drake making his proper debut as Robin either December 1990 or July 1991, depending on your opinion). They also never killed Dick Grayson, the original Robin since 1940, just his disliked replacement, Jason Todd.

If neckbeards honestly fell for this stunt, they're dumber than previously given credit for.

Oh yes…Alfred's death and subsequent replacement with I think Dick's aunt or Bruce's aunt. And then brought back through something odd (odd enough that it was briefly pointed out in one issue of Grant Morrison's Batman…which was included in Batman RIP trades)

Yeah, but as you've pointed out, it they didn't bring back Jason Todd, but introduced Tim Drake. Considering that after Superman died they did "REIGN OF THE SUPERMEN", I wouldn't be surprised at all if neckbeards at the time thought they were actually going to replace Superman with one of those four.

Hell, you've already seen that kind of reaction within the last four years with Marvel's shitty stunts, with fags bemoaning that Whor will last forever and Twitter forming lynch mobs over Nazi Cap. I can only imagine it would've been worse in the 90's since you wouldn't have that past experience with bullshit to temper it.

Alfred was tragically crushed by a falling boulder in 1964 and was replaced (in the same issue!) by Aunt Harriet, Dick's Aunt. It's assumed this was done to thwart Wertham's allegations that Batman promoted homosexuality, though it probably made the matter worse.

However, when Alfred started appearing on the Batman TV Show, DC had to be bring him back. So they published a mini-arc where Batman and Robin were challenged by a dangerous new foe called THE OUTSIDER with bizarre powers and knowledge of their secret identities. THE OUTSIDER, of course, was Alfred, who didn't really die, but was rather horribly maimed and brought back to health by a strange experiment which deformed his body and twisted his mind to evil. Batman eventually defeated THE OUTSIDER and restored him back to the Alfred we all know and love, swearing to never talk about that incident ever again.

At it's release date yes, with something around 3 million copies.
Tough X-Men by Lee in 1991 has sold 7 million.

Lex Luthor
Metamorpho
Iris West
Ra's Al Ghul (it was his gimmick)
Elektra
Iron Fist
(We wuz) Kang the Conqueror

The plot device has been in place long before they killed Superman. Not to mention they've done various 'Death of Superman' stories in the '50s where they revealed that it was an imaginary story or it happened on Earth 2 or some other shit.

So yes, you'd have to be dumb not to know that nobody stays dead in comics

X-Men #1 predates death of Superman

There was only one death of Superman comic in the Silver Age. Superman #149, written by Jerry Siegel, Superman's fucking co-creator, penciled by Curt mother-fucking Swan. It's a fucking classic, you uneducated newfag.

Get the fuck out of here you casual nigger piece of shit.

"Oncoming Doom" just keeps on coming.

Adventures of Superman #496 features Mr. Mxyzptlk! Unfortunately, since Byrne's run, they've changed the rules concerning Mr. Mxyzptlk, so a confusing, yet fun, character becomes simply confusing.

See, before, all Superman had to do was trick Mr. Mxyzptlk into saying his name backwards to get him to leave. However, since Crises, that was changed into meeting whatever condition Mr. Mxyzptlk.

That rule, however, turns out to be a fat load of horseshit since Lex Luthor taught Mr. Mxyzptlk how to lie, so now Mr. Mxyzptlk can just choose not to go back once his conditions are met. What this implies is that Mr. Mxyzptlk's banishment back to his home in the fifth dimension is completely voluntary on his part, when before it was involuntary. In their effort to make Mr. Mxyzptlk less silly they've gone ahead and broke his entire character.

Oh, if you're wondering why Lex Luthor has a hook-hand, apparently, before his body swap, he got his hand bitten off by kryptonite caused cancer.

Superman, despite it being clearly obvious, still doesn't realize that Lex Luthor 2 is actually just Lex Luthor.

Which is annoying and infuriating.

I didn't ask for this. What was with the nineties and finding any excuse to draw superheroes as close to naked as possible?

I also forgot to point out the fucking Watchmen reference in the previous five pages.

So Mr. Mxyzptlk does the whole "which one of us is lying" bit with Lex Luthor crying in an electric chair. The problem is that it's really fucking confusing, and the rules aren't really made clear. Like what exactly is keeping Mr. Mxyzptlk from lying or just choosing not to go back to the fifth dimension?

As you save $10 on Superman's Dead Body comics by subscribing to them, stay tuned until next time when Superman fights a vigilante werewolf.

After this issue, I can totally understand why Superman's sales were slumping.

I can't imagine the person that would read this and enjoy it.

In Action Comics #683, last issue were Doomsday pounds metal to get out.

Superman fights a werewolf. Well a kinda werewolf. A meta-human werewolf. A meta-human werewolf that murders criminals, which is important, because we need more scenes of Superman justifying his no-kill policy. Why do we need more scenes of Superman justifying his no-kill policy? I don't know. Nerds are fucking insecure.

Also, the first part of this reads like a Batman plot they retooled for Superman.

After coming across the horrible scene of werewolf justice, Superman just has to find out more about this werewolf guy, but the Daily Planet's 16 bit IBMs ain't cuttin' it! HE NEEDS MORE POWER!

Dammit Tim! It's the Bat-Cave, not a goddamn public library! Like the homeless drifters abusing free computer access and internet in our public institutions, Superman just uses the Bat-Computer to track his werewolf problem. Then Robin and Superman share some thoughts about vigilantism to imply the idea that Superman is sometimes tempted to "cross the line".

Meanwhile, our werewolf friend just hides out in strip-club shitters waiting for retards to plot crimes. So he can murder them in the act. So you guys, be careful not to talk about were you get your comics in shady bathrooms.

Otherwise the shit-house wolf-man will get you.

Superman saves the mentally deficient arsonists and throws shit-house wolf-man into the trash. Then we go on for a couple pages where Superman justifies why he doesn't kill criminals. I guess choosing not to kill criminals was a really controversial position to have in early nineties superhero comics.

Even the short-bus riders are smart enough not to mess with Superman! It rekindles my faith in humanity.

Oh, and Doomsday is here. That's important too I guess.

Who's the casual again?

You are, because in Superman #188, Superman died briefly and then revived four pages later. In Action Comics #366, Superman didn't even die.

Fucking read some comics, fam.

They both feature the death of Superman, you fucking smug retard prick piece of shit. Maybe you should learn to read.

It's not ironic anymore, is it?

Not only are you being pedantic, but from your salt it's clear you didn't even read the comics you posted as evidence. Did you just google a top ten list and then pick the two written in the sixties that weren't Superman #149? Then post about it on Holla Forums expecting that nobody on Holla Forums would have a bug-out folder with every single Superman comic ever written?

What fucking board do you think this is?

You're being pedantic. And disingenuous. Superman #188 features the death of Superman. Action Comics #366 advertises itself by alluding to Superman's death on the cover. Your claim that Superman #149 is the only Silver Age Superman story to feature Superman's death is patently false. Not to mention that, if you wanted to split hairs, Superman #149 is an 'imaginary' story.

This was part of a wider point that 'The Death of Superman' was not the first (or last) time DC had ever killed or promoted the death of Superman just to move comics. There are also a bunch of Bronze Age comics where Superman dies. Killing Superman was not a unique concept in the least.

A fair point. But consider that Jason Todd was himself a replacement, not the original Robin since 1940, unlike Superman, who was the 'original' Superman. Also consider that the way Reign of the Supermen was written, it was pretty obvious that none of them were ever going to be a permanent Superman replacement. Superboy was just a dumb kid, Steel was just a guy in armour, he didn't have any superpowers and furthermore he never actually claimed to be Superman. Eradicator was too cold and Cyborg Superman was fucking evil. The whole point of the story was that these people could dress up like Superman, but they could never be Superman.

Regardless, you can't compare DC's earlier "Death of Superman" shinanagins to The Death of Superman event in 1993. The earlier comics, even Superman #149, were done to sell a single issue and the story was mostly contained. The events of Action Comics #366 covered only four issues (#363, #364, #365, and #366), Superman never died, and it dealt more with Superman's bout of Kryptonian leprosy.

1993's Death of Superman lasted 38 issues, crossed over nine titles, and was heavily advertised. DC wasn't billing this that Superman got sick from a krypton virus and thought he was dying, Superman being dead for four pages, or that it was going to be an imaginary story. DC was billing it as "SUPERMAN IS GOING TO FUCKING DIE".

The idea of killing Superman wasn't a unique concept, but DC's approach to it in 1993 was.

That's hindsight. Nobody who bought Superman #75 thought that the man of steel was going to be back a mere nine months later.

IT'S FUCKING DOOMSDAY MOTHER FUCKERS YEAH

We're at Man of Steel #18 and Doomsday is just willing himself to the surface. Like a rocket. A rocket made of doom and rocks.

Meanwhile, that insane black kid from the previous issue still fucking believes that the fucking underground monster people have his mom. That kid has serious problems and probably several learning disabilities.

Doomsday is now free upon earth's surface. His eyes strain to look upon all the beauty that nature provides. He holds out his rocky hand and a bird gently rests upon it, recognizing Doomsday as one of god's creatures.

Then Doomsday crushes it and laughs. Then I laugh. Because I can't take this shit seriously after that.

Anyway, Lois gets a mysterious note for Superman warning of the mutant revolution, and instead of just leaving the note for Clark to find at his desk, she has to write it on his computer. Then there's a black-out, leaving Lois to probably get killed by mutants because she just couldn't leave the note at Clark's desk.

As Lois is hauled away by the combined forces of sewer monsters and street bums, only now does that black kid realize that the fucking sewer monsters lied to him about his mom. Seriously kid, what reason would you have to believe that she was shacking up with sewer monsters in the scary rape caves under the city?

Doomsday really fucking hates trees.

Anyway, the monster bum alliance needs electricity to power their massive drilling machine. For some reason. It's not really made clear why they need to drill a giant tunnel when they have easy access to street level. Guess they needed something cool for Superman to punch.

But that kid who needs therapy manages to summon Superman who promptly wrecks their shit and teaches the mutants/homeless people their rightful place!

Doomsday has apparently made his way to a bridge, or a highway over-pass, and just fucks it up. Nothing is safe from him, not even our national infrastructure.

Superman rushes to save Lois from execution, but it turns out that Charlie, the homeless bum Lois Lane gives hand-outs to, was never a traitor to the surface world! An old peacenik, he infiltrated their ranks to bring vital information of their plot to Lois! He was the author of the note that Lois should've just left at Clark's desk!

The rogue mutants are imprisoned, ready to face the justice of the underground, and Superman leaves without addressing any of the massive bureaucratic and social problems of having an subterranean community of homeless people and monsters just living underneath the largest city in the United States.

Doomsday just continues to fuck things up. This looks like a job for THE JUSTICE LEAGUE, which is the next issue.

The Justice League gets anally raped by Doomsday.

So stay tuned for that, and marvel over Robin's new lenticular covers.

Not if you were actually reading it.
One of the people they interviewed on the press circuit for this thing was John Byrne. Here's what John Byrne had to say

This whole page is as funny in context as it is out of context.

What did he mean by this?

This is clearly the return of PAUL BUNYAN.

I remember being bothered by the fact that Superman died in a dumb brawl with a big, mute monster who came out of nowhere. I liked a lot of the comics in the Death of Superman and the Funeral for a Friend follow-ups, I thought they were mostly well done, but it bugged me that he died at the hands of a boring brute they made up just for the occasion.

Speak for yourself. My dad bought all the Superman titles that were part of the story, and we both knew they'd bring him back before long.

That's how it is with modern comics. Sales come before story.

This is why KnightSaga was so much better. Bane was actually a character, rather than just a plot device.

Next up is "Justice League America''#69, but perhaps you know it's other title "ROCK COCK". You can find it at your local adult magazine supplier under "rape" and "bisexual gang-bang".

What was considered the "Justice League" back in 1992 save people from a tanker fire caused by Doomsday's path of destruction. Remember back in the nineties when Guy Gardner had Sinestro's power ring? I guess that gets over-shadowed by his time as "MY BODY IS MADE OF WEAPONS" Warrior.

We've also got Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Fire, and Ice. The others are Maxima (better remembered for wanting Superman's cock in Superman the Animated Series), and Blackula Bloodwynd. I wonder if one of them are going to die for effect.

As Superman is interviewed during a talk show held at a local high-school, the Justice League's telepaths use their powers to find Doomsday. As if it's hard finding a giant rock-monster fucking up everything in his path.

Speaking of fucked up, why are forest animals drawn to him? First he crushes the bird, now he chokes a deer. Maybe Doomsday is so retarded that animals don't see him as a threat. Then he goes all Frankenstein's monster on them because he doesn't know his own strength.

Anyway, Blue Beetle's Bug is a piece of shit because it's brought down by a fucking log.

Superman talks more about the Justice League, their various hobbies, how Guy Gardner got kicked out of the Green Lantern Corps for being Guy Gardner. I must add, if that kid likes Guy Gardner, then he's got shit taste.

Do you know who doesn't like Guy Gardner? Doomsday. Guy decides he's going to tackle man-mountain all by himself. However, instead of building some construct from outside of Doomsday's reach to fight him with, Guy gets all up in his face. Guy then gets raped liked a fresh meat prisoner celled with a savage nigger who needs special pants to contain his massive cock and other prisoners call him "S.S." in hushed whispers. And "S.S" stands for "sphincter splitter".

Now that we're talking about bloody messes, let's talk about how this fight against Doomsday should've gone. Now I'm no expert, but watching a video where guys shoot 2'x4's at steel security doors, for Doomsday to throw a log hard enough to penetrate the Bug's hull, it would have to be traveling at 442mph. With that in mind, regardless of any protection Guy's ring would offer him, the force at which Doomsday would hit him would probably reduce Guy to a fine red mist.

As Superman talks about peace and fear, Doomsday proceeds to wreck the asses of everyone in the Justice League. Now, we've already established that Guy would probably be dead after fighting Doomsday, but fucking Blue Beetle should definitely be dead. He has no ring for protection, so his head should've burst like a watermelon hit with a shotgun blast.

Doomsday proceeds to punch Booster Gold so hard he goes airborne. Superman catches him midair and Booster warns him. With that creature, and all the destruction it's caused, it's like it's

DOOMSDAY

Read the letters column and stay-tuned for the next exciting issue of the Death of Superman saga. It's got broken homes and bratty teens!

Agreed. I really liked that Bane used some strategy and detective work to take down Batman.

>and Blackula Bloodwynd
lol
Where did he come from, anyway? Bloodlines?

At first I thought Doomsday threw the dead deer through the Beetleship.

No, he was from Justice League America #76. He's also Martian Manhunter. See, a super-villain sucked the real Bloodwynd into a blood gem and then had Martian Manhunter wear it to impersonate Bloodwynd.

Ah, the convolution that only nineties cape comics could provide.

True, but don't ignore that he was still a plot device. There was some bullshit going on with Bane too.

Bloodlines hasn't happened yet. It occurs right in the middle of both Reign of The Supermen and Knightquest. Superman actually returns before that event is over (though Bruce is still in the chair).

Put that in perspective. In 1993, THREE huge events were going on at the same time. That should give you a taste of how crazy shit was in the early 90's.

True, but don't ignore that he was still a plot device. There was some bullshit going on with Bane too.

Bloodlines hasn't happened yet. It occurs right in the middle of both Reign of The Supermen and Knightquest. Superman actually returns before that event is over (though Bruce is still in the chair).

Put that in perspective. In 1993, THREE huge events were going on at the same time. That should give you a taste of how crazy shit was in the early 90's.

Sure is lucky that Clawster's internals are so tough otherwise Supes would have made his speech to the Wolfman grossly hypocritical

Yes, but only in the sense that all villains are plot devices. Unlike Doomsday, Bane didn't just go away once he'd done his job. He stuck around to sort of highlight the differences between the two Batmen. He was sort of like Vermin in Kraven's Last Hunt.

The edgy mute asshole Doomsday is pretty entertaining to be honest. His mask design is way cooler than the rock monster gimmick, too. They should never have taken him out of that costume.

All the other times DC has tried to use Doomsday they forgot about the things that made him even sightly cool.

Son, gonna have to activate the wrong button that you missed smashing not so hard brah. Doomsday is your typical bullshit jobber villain made by Dan Jurgens. And it could have only come out from the 90's. There's no mad plotting or cosmic scheming from say your Darkseids or Sinestros. No we get a fucking jobber with a shite backstory as per the Dan Jurgens treatment. I mean everything that led up to Superman's death was nothing but endless jobber types that were beneath Supes as a hero. It's like sending the Dudely Boys to fight Tiger Mask and THEY BEAT HIM. That shit's not supposed to happen to high end heroes, and you can't just have them be gutted by a jobber with no background. There's just nothing there.

More like sending the Brooklyn Brawler and Gilberg after Tanahashi or Bret Hart and beating him clean, mr. trips

True dat, if nothing else, it's rather astonishing that Doomsday's creator Bertron was just as much a jobber never became a massive big baddy later down the line. I mean since Superman is kinda heavily tied with the New Gods you could have had a whole story line about how Betron was some Akopolips scientist that was on the run from the early Green Lantern Corps for running all sorts of nasty galactic bio experiments for Darkseid. And that after the fiasco on Prehistoric Kryton mysteriously disappeared. Only to discover that for his consider failure in building such a weapon, he's put on ice by Darkseid, only to be revived by his omega beams once several of his agents on Earth notice the fact that Bertron's weapon ACTUALLY fucking worked, and now he's back on the radar making even more nasty monstrosities for Apokalips.

And at that point you get a whole Green Lantern miniseries, where you have some of the biggest evil cosmic forces and their respective Gods out try and recapture Doomsday and the Green Lanterns have got to team up to stop them and find a way to permanently get Doomsday and Betron off to the Phantom Zone or use their license to fucking kill.

Meanwhile in the Supes books, it turns out that there were more of Betron's nasty toys now beginning to activate around the Solar System and Supes, Kon-el, Steel, Martian Manhunter, Mister Miracle, Guy Gardner and Supergirl team up to go from Mercury to Pluto to the Oort Belt to face a new one of Betron's monstrosities being revived by Granny Goodness and an evil alliance with the remnants of the White Martian Imperium to serve Darkseid and menace the entire galaxy once more.

But fuck you, you don't get two awesome story line books spin-offs like this, because Dan "Jobber, Jobber, Jobber" Jurgens doesn't have half of the fucking imagination to pull that shit off (nor the folks working the Supes books at the time).

Wait, I thought Doomsday Cock was about Johns blaming Watchmen for capeshit becoming edgy, not Death of Superman. How did DOS do anything except make it obvious to everyone that A-listers will never die permanently?

Having sperged that, let me say that the only time Doomsday was done well was in the JLU Series, as an appropriate jobber, not made by a no name scientist from another planet, but made by Cadmus in the wake of the last storyline in the original Superman Animated Series, as a counter weapon to fight Supes when the world realized that if anybody mind broke Superman again the way Darkseid did, they'd need a bio weapon to put him down like a humanoid Godzilla.

Do you know when Doomsday Cock is set? 1992. Specifically, November 22, 1992.

Do you know why Johns chose that particular date? It's only three days after a certain comic dropped way back in 1992. A comic where a certain hero died. Whatever could that comic be?

Because that's the closest to a singular "event of darkness" you can choose in the DC universe for the time period. Everything else was a gradual shift in tone. Plus, Superman is literally the "symbol of hope."

It's Superman #74, and I'm more excited over the ads than I am about Superman fighting Doomsday. Most scanners cut out the ads, but not this guy. He's a true hero.

Following the utter raping of the last issue, Blue Beetle looks like he's going to kick the bucket. Ice begs Maxima to take him to get some medical attention, but she's like "nah, warrior race". It's only after Ice offers to hold off Doomsday does Maxima finally relent.

Doomsday is going to break that Norwegian pussy in half.

Ah the broken homes of the early nineties. Punk kid can't appreciate all his single mom does for him. Gotta make that commentary about how society is changing.

Thank God all that shit ends when Doomsday chucks Ice through their window.

Doomsday kicks Superman through a fucking low income house. The jobbing now begins in earnest.

Missed opportunity.

I fucking hate this punk kid here. He thinks Guy Gardner is cool. No wonder he doesn't respect his mom and thinks only of his lack of soda.

Superman and the rest of the non-dead Justice League use their beam powers against Doomsday. All it does is give us a look at his big gray nipple.

This family deserves to die

WRITE NOW Holla Forums! THE COMIC GALLERY HAS ROBOTECH!

Anyway, I cannot express how boring this fight is. Doomsday just jobs everyone, and nothing happens other than a house blowing up. This is a major why The Death of Superman is such shit. There's literally no substance to the fight against Doomsday.

Superman could've died fighting a really big rock and the effect would be exactly the same.

Some bullshit about a humongous kryptonite meteor hurtling towards earth and only Superman could stop it would be better than this

So, in addition to being an invincible man-mountain that can just rape everyone, Doomsday can jump so high and so fast that Superman can't catch him. Worse yet, he just fucking leaves that family to die in a fire. I'm getting flash-backs to Man of Steel and it's making me angry.

Though that Robin 3000 looks interesting. I might have to check it out.

Stay tuned for the next exciting part of Death of Superman where Doomsday jobs the fuck out everyone and destroys more property.

In the meantime, check out the letters pages. Or better yet, fuck the letters pages and go straight for the early nineties video game ads.

If only they knew.

Man, it's like a time machine

Let's get a soundtrack worthy of the time period, shall we?

That's the best part. It's like the start of the Big Two's own version of Knightfall. There's a devastating force stalking them from the shadows, waiting to crush them when they're at their weakest, and they're completely oblivious it's threat.

And they're still oblivious to this day, both DC and Marvel learned nothing during that period and still haven't learned during this boom of animu
Once the Superhero movie fade is over like Noir and Western, the big 2 will know how much ground they have lost to the japs, and manga doesn't even sell like it used to

Hell, remember Marvel's Mangaverse ?

Superman #75 came out January 1993.

November 22 was when Kennedy was killed, though.

The event itself started in November 1992, coming out the fourth Wednesday of the month, the 18th. Doomsday Cock starts in November 2017, coming out the fourth Wednesday of this month, the 22nd.

Are you starting to see the connection?

Grand Comics Database lists Superman #75's "On Sale" date as 11/19/1992.

It's not unusual for the publication date to be ahead of the actual release date. It's just another frustrating thing about comics.

Wait…Doomsday Clock…DOOMSDAY. Now I get the double meaning. Guess the big blue wang wants to blame the Death of Superman for everything being so damn cynical.

Continuing from , GCD lists Man Of Steel #17's release date as 9/17/1992, which means it actually started in September, not November.

Yeah, everything is two months behind the printed date.

Intentional?

Why doesn't he just throw him into space

From memory, he tried and got one of Doomsday's elbow-spikes through the side of his gut, in a reference to the Crucifixion.

Like pottery

That better not be real.

Fuck that sure as hell was a huge period for arc story at DC I almost forgot that all this was simultaneous happening

Jean Paul Valley had mental problems caused by being subconsciously brainwashed by the Order of St. Dumas. Bruce knew this and still had Jean become Batman. This worsened his condition to the point he started seeing visions and sleeping in the Bat-Cave. Those around him were unsympathetic. Alfred bailed and Robin high-tailed it when Jean needed his help the most. He was abandoned to be Batman all by himself.

And what did he get for all of his efforts? An ass-kicking by Bruce. Jean Paul Valley is the only sympathetic character in the entirety of Knightfall. Everyone else is a complete dick.

He have forcely shown the door to Alfred saying if he saw him in the manor again would threat him as a intruder
He actually tried to choke Tim when found him in the batcave afterwards walling him out and making Quasimodo Harold run for his life and hide in a hole in the batcave
When Bruce came back to stop his lethal spree he told him was old and should step down to make him the rightful owner of the cowl
Babe see it's a shitty replace and doesn't even bother fighting him and azrel throw a hissy fit
Even fucking Gordon notice he ain't the real deal
>was hwity people St Dumas fault for making him bad
I want edgy batfags apologist to leave and never come back

Alfred went with Bruce to rescue Tim's dad and Dr Kinsolving. Alfred bailed on Bruce, not Azrael
He nearly choked Robin to death and then told him to fuck off
Who he also told to fuck off

Yeah, no. Tim's a fucking dick.

Is it any surprise that the market crashed in 1993?

And it actually got worse, since 1994 brought both Emerald Twilight AND Zero Hour, and along with it even more title changes, like a new Dr. Fate, Green Arrow, Starman, and Green Lantern. In less than three years, the entire DCU was radically altered.

Posting more 90's music.

How does it taste the cum of a crazy whack job like azrel in the mouth faggot?

Go back to bed, Dixion. You've got to get up and pretend you're totally not gay.

I really don't feel like that's a valid and thorough excuse

If I had a dollar for every time Superman gets stabbed in the side

I remember Mangaverse, suffered the same problem the ultimate line eventually did, killed all the characters people actually liked because srew the fans. Poor Tigra and Strange, they deserved better.

Adventures of Superman #497 has no ads. I'm already disappointed.

Superman's still chasing Doomsday, because fuck you he's Doomsday. Meanwhile, the Justice League is done and that kid and his mom are going to die in a fire screaming to Superman for help. It's then that Jerry Ordway said "wait, fucking Jurgens wrote what?" and Superman realizes he's fucking Superman and Superman fucking saves people.

So Superman does the first intelligent thing anyone's done in this arc and throws Doomsday into a fucking lake. That gives Superman enough time to save the family, something he should've fucking done in the first place.

While that's happening, Doomsday fucks a helicopter and lands in a small town ready to fuck it too. Of course, that small town is in Kirby County, which earned an audible sigh from me.

"WOOOOWEEE, DEM BIG GOOD OLE BOYS BE RIPPEN UP OUR STREETS WHIT DEM FIGHTIN'! GADZOOKS! BETTER CALL OUT THE BLUE BOYS!"

I fucking hate the hick town they're fighting in. Doomsday demolishing it could only be an improvement.

As Doomsday rapes another helicopter and Maxima shows up, we cut back to the Daily Planet! Lois Lane has a big scoop! She's got to cover the big fight with the rock monster and need's Jimmy's help to do it!

You know, there's only one sane solution to this mess: Call Orion. He'll fix this shit real quick.

I want to punch this comic. Shit like Jimmy Olsen Giant Turtle Man shouldn't be a show in the comic. It should remain canon. DC should always hold as the bedrock of Superman, regardless of any reboots or continuity changes, that there was a time when Jimmy Olsen became a super-menace and Superman had to remove him from the earth.

So far, in Doomsday's path of destruction, he's killed thirty people. That's thirty people too many. Luthor watches the entire thing from his awkward sky-scraper with his protoplasmic Super-Girl by his side. That's something I didn't want to remember. The whole thing where John Bryne was so autistic over Superman being the last Kryptonian that he made Super-Girl a fucking slime girl thing.

Maxima punches Doomsday through a store. Then she gets punched into a gas-station. Then throws a van on her. Superman follows this by kicking Doomsday. Finally, as gasoline is spraying all over the fucking place, Maxima thinks it's a really good idea to rip up street-lamps connected to live power-lines.

Ah…Supergirl. After the crisis, there's like what? 5 Supergirls running around? There's the Linda Danvers, Matrix, Cir-El…Power Girl and that's before Post Crisis Kara Zor-El showed up.

So kaboom, everybody gets knocked out in an explosion. Everybody except Doomsday. Because fuck you he's Doomsday.

Guardian shows up. The last thing I read of The Guardian was Jack Kirby's run on Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, where he was an awesome clone ready for battle who fought a giant mutant Jimmy Olsen. It was fucking great. Now, seeing him on a gay-ass motorcycle, lacking the powerful bellow of Kirby Speak, makes realize that a little part of me had some enjoyment for this, and that little part just died.

Stay tuned for the next exciting issue where we visit Lex Luthor's Wal-Mart chain and Doomsday gets into professional wrestling.

I'll never understand why the 90's were so obsessed with that country.

COIE was the stupidest thing DC has ever done. 30 years later we're cleaning up after that mess.

I get the idea, clean up the continuity….but problem is, they haven't clean it up, just added more headaches. 5 Supergirls, Donna Troy's inconsistent origin, god knows how many time the Legion of Super-Heroes' history got changed, Superman's history was changed (Was he ever Superboy or not, what's his powers are etc). Heck, the Multiverse never go away after COIE what with Hypertime and Pocket Dimensions and such.

And Hawkman! Don't forget poor Hawkman. And Power Girl before Amanda Conner.

And he jobs to Roman Reigns ?

Oh god…the Hawkman mess-up. So, if I'm reading this right, post-Crisis, there's 2 Hawkman running around, right? Egypt Pharaoh Hawkman, Carter Hall and Thanagar Cop, Katar Hol? Silver Age Hawkman joined the JLI while Golden Age Hawkman is with the JSA in limbo?

I think the JLI Hawkman was retconned to be a Thanagarian spy… pretending to be the Hawkman who didn't exist at that point? It's a bit of a clusterfuck.

That's because instead of actually cleaning up the continuity, they just handed the books over to individual creators and told them to nuts. The result was new canons that were broken from the start and had to be perpetually retconned to allow even the smallest changes.

The worst part is that DC still keeps doing this for all of their reboots. Instead just writing a simple and flexible continuity to allow for multiple writers, they keep handing it over to retards who then create even more broken canons. It's insanity.

They're the same. If you count Power Girl there are only four Post-Crisis Supergirls

I see a crash happening in the future before either DC or Marvel starts to actually organize on that level and truly get serious with their work.

Matrix, the Lara Lang clone from Earth-Superboy, and Linda Danvers, the small-town Satan-worshipping skater girl who ended up with the Earth-Bound Angel powers? I'm pretty sure that Danvers was dead when Matrix duplicated her and took her place, but then THAT supergirl actually met and fought with Matrix, the pink goo girl that was left over from her creation. And Linda Danvers appeared to Supergirl at one point, looking pretty dead, but telling her not to give up in a fight… Do there might be three Supergirls out of that situation, it's hard to tell.
Whatever Peter David had planned, he didn't get to do it, but we do have the Fallen Angel creator owned series he brought out to use all the ideas he had planned out for it.

I thought that was a DC mandate? DCAU had that restriction laid on them, so they said Supergirl was from another planet in Krypton's system. Somehow, solutions like that never occur to writers working at DC. They have to go the "clone of a shapeshifter of an alternate universe robot duplicate Power Girl from a pocket dimension that fused with an energy being pretending to be the twin of Supergirl from six retcons ago who still exists because of hypertime" route, or something like that

Except that was Marv Wolfman who insisted on that. Matrix was Byrne's compromise.

The fuck is hypertime?

Hypertime is basically the replacement to the Multiverse but instead of alternate universes, it's alternate timelines.

I mean I guess I sort of get it, but it seems like it would be a lot easier if they just said "There's an infinite number of universes". If they wanted to hold to the "52 universes" thing they could've easily just said that those 52 were the most prominent for whatever reason.

The Hypertime concept preceded the 52 universes concept. Basically, DC used to have the Multiverse, where there would be infinite alternate universes. Then they did Crisis and there was only one universe. Then they did Zero Hour and introduced the Hypertime concept. Then they said fuck it and did Infinite Crisis, which established the 52 universes concept. Whatever they did after that I don't know, because I stopped paying attention to DC after New 52

Before the Crisis, yes..there was an infinite number of universes (with every Silver Age story being an AU in of it self) but then the Crisis happened, wiping out every universe but one. But then DC's been doing a lot of AU stories, most prominent being Kingdom Come and some writers are really keen on Kingdom Come that some of the concepts of KC starts bleeding in and one of the popular theory/consensus kicking around was KC was going to be the future point to the main DCU, so Mark Waid decided to write a sequel to that story and introduced Hypertime to basically throw out the theory that KC is the absolute future but rather just a possible future by introducing Hypertime.

Long story short, the Kingdom is meh. It's two issues but you really need to read the one shots that comes with it (Son of Bat is actually good and made me wish we got Ibn Al Xuffasch rather than Damian) Oddly enough, some of the things in the Kingdom made no sense, like the Booster Gold from the mainline DCU opening the restaurant that was featured in KC…but that was never brought up in the mainline DCU or how KC Jonathan Kent (the son of Supes and Wondy) is the guardian of Hypertime….and never showed up ever since.

As usual, it seems a lot like DC just can't decide what they want. Seems like you'd trim a lot of the fat by saying there's an infinite number of universes and picking out whatever they liked out of Elseworlds to be more narratively prominent. Instead, they have to be super anal about it.

That wasn't the case. DC had "multiple earths". For example, Earth 2 was home to the Justice Society and Earth 3 was home to the Crime Syndicate. Each earth was distinct and helped DC sort out all the characters they acquired through buy-outs so they didn't make each other redundant. Captain Marvel had his own earth, Charlton characters had their own earth, etc. It was all neatly cataloged, and for the most part easy to understand though shit got complicated when somebody remembered that Superman was part of the Justice Society and decided there needed to be a version of him on Earth 2

Then Marvel gets popular. Marvel had a single universe where all of their characters could meet each other. This worked because nearly all of the major characters were created by one guy Jack Kirby. DC decided that it wanted that single universe for it's characters. They took their multiple earths, added a fuck-ton to make shit look really complicated, and began "Crises on Infinite Earths". Where before was seamless progression became splintered into different earths, all of which were destroyed to create a single earth.

Which leaves us where we are today, and to the subject of this thread.

Ok

I think he was referring more to the 'This is an imaginary story' shit

Yeah, was referring to that. I mean, every imaginary story in the Silver Age is its own AU.

Wait, I thought they retconned it so that there wasn't a Superman so they had Iron Munro instead.

Didn't John Byrne have Hippolyta travel back in time to be the WW2 Wonder Woman?

Suppose to be to reconcile having a Wonder Woman during WW2. They also did that with Supes, Batman and Aquaman replacing them with Iron Munro (Superman), Flying Fox (Batman) and Neptune Perkins (Aquaman). Well, there is a replacement for Wondy too called Fury.

Lol. Thanks for posting OP

It's Action Comics #684! More sucking Doomsday rock cock and more watching them completely desecrate places I never expected them to desecrate.

As Superman monologues about how Doomsday is the fucking toughest fucker around, I'm reminded of the Captain Marvel villain Mr. Atom. Mr. Atom was an invincible robot and the only villain that Captain Marvel faced that could trade blows with him. Captain Marvel beat him by being just a little bit stronger, but in the end, he couldn't destroy Mr. Atom. Imprisoned within the strongest cell ever constructed, isolated from the outside world, Mr. Atom vowed revenge and his immortal existence served as a never-ending threat to man-kind.

I take all that in, appreciating that Mr. Atom was a metaphor for the atomic bomb. Then I look at Doomsday and wonder where everything went wrong.

Doomsday, after wrecking more of our national infrastructure, decides he needs to check out the great deals at LexMart. Zach Synder shouldn't have based Lex Luthor on Zuckerberg, but on Sam Walton.

It's within it's aisles of cheaply made goods that Doomsday finds his calling. A television speaks to him. He hears the message that gives his life purpose and meaning:

PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING! OH YEAAAH!

STEEL CAGE MATCHES! TAG TEAMS! GRUDGE MATCHES! ALL THAT AND MORE AT WAR-BASH 9000! THIS WEEKEND AT METROPOLIS ARENA!

And that's how Doomsday learned about Metropolis and got the motivation to go there.

As Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, and Super Slime look on, Superman gets his ass kicked all over the place. In the midst of battle, Doomsday looks up and sees a sign. Metropolis, only 60 miles! Doomsday's dream is within his grasp!

Too bad Superman has to be a dick and throw Doomsday fifty miles away.

Can't have such deep thinking in funny books, man.

No No No No No NO! Don't destroy the fucking biker tree-fort from Jimmy Olsen #134! Why? Why are you fucking doing this? Go destroy Smallville or The Daily Planet building! Leave obscure shit like the biker tree-fort alone, you heathens!

Doomsday is able to kick debris hard enough to simulate an explosion. How is he able to do this? Fuck you, he's Doomsday.

As Superman and Guardian lie unconscious under the ruins of one of my favorite Jack Kirby creations, Doomsday jumps all the way to Metropolis. Enough filler, onto the meat.

Stay tuned for the next exciting issue where we see some tracings of Jack Kirby art and Super-Slime's face goes splat.

Oh, one last thing.

We're close.

That settles that argument.

Doomsday Cock/Death of Superman connection confirmed.

Of all the bullshit that actually makes perfect sense. Its how railguns will work. Hit something with enough energy and the shockwave is gonna be big.

I think Doomsday could be more interesting if he was more like Stitch.

This is just boring to watch, and its clear as day that really he isn't much of a threat. I mean yeah, he smashes stuff, but that's all he can really do. Like in theory he's supposed to be able to Destroy Worlds but I don't see it. Without Intelligence, or planning the best he could do is maybe deforest a Continent.

If he was more like Stitch, and had protocols to fuck things up built into him, then it could be more interesting.

Fuck, now I want to see Doomsday jobbing to the Hulkster for shits and giggles
…Actually, no, this is 1992 and Bret's the champ, and we need to put over the Hitman big so the public won't notice the steroid scandal

Doomsday? Act like a fucking "character"?

What are you? Some kind of fag?

Like, in theory he might be a neat…sorta idea….The problem is the lack of theming or point. Like…I get the neat idea behind it, that what kills Superman isn't elaborate plots or gods, but a big stupid Brute…..
But then what. Like what is the point of it? Thats why the DC movie did this pretty well, because it incorporated Doomsday into the overarching theme, and even had Luthor a part of it.

While maybe a little cliche, I would maybe like Superman to Somehow Redeem Doomsday somehow, because I feel like thats a much more poniant death. How Superman can reach even what is believed to be unreachable, and maybe speaks much more to his humane and anti-Death ideology way better….

Honestly this has me thinking of Lilo and Stich again…that was a neat movie…Lots of interesting themes. I wonder why it isn't mentioned all that often.

I meant the Animated Movie! The Animated one!

I am very glad you clarified on that point, user.

I know. I felt like I was in one of those comedy sketches where he makes everybody else believe he raped a kitten or something.

Doing the impossible? Seeing the invisible? That shit is for faggot anime, not mature and realistic western comics.

I'm sad but it appears its too faggoty even for anime. Anime just had to over-invest in a niche audience with no interest in catharsis or the concept of initial investment then payoff, and just wish to see power fantasy taken to such extremes it's nearly sickening.

Unlike Comic books. Those are completely different. Those are about telling that niche (that they dug themselves into a hole with) how shitty they are, and how much more mature they are then them, and how all the characters would be better as black, miserable or/and hyper stupid pretty millennials.

You know, what the MATURE way is. Checkmate Weebatron! Go enjoy some good media you QUEER!

Well that got depressing.

Even if it's satire, it still hurts user

The animated one is, and I am being completely serious, LITERALLY (← correct usage of word) worse than any Zack Snyder movie, and not good at all.

Best part: Superman takes Doomsday into space, then brings him back to earth for no raisin

Well those are some pretty strong opinions.

It's been a while but I always assumed he didn't have enough strength in him to actually toss him out of earth's gravitational pull.

Superman: The Man of Steel #19 has ads! Oh, and probably other things.

Doomsday has arrived at Metropolis, and he apparently is no longer satisfied wrecking property. Now he's just killing individual people. Guess all the destruction wasn't enough to make Doomsday look bad enough.

Oh, and more Doomsday dick sucking.

We finally get our answer to the question of "why didn't Superman just carry Doomsday to space?" Well, apparently Doomsday has the squirming ability of a 1 year old child, making it difficult for Superman to hold onto him. Which is why he couldn't haul his ass into space.

Guardian, meanwhile, receives a message from Dubblix, as indicated by a probable tracing of Jack Kirby's art of the character. Dubblix was a member of the DNAliens, a group of genetically modified humans that Jack Kirby cooked up. They featured heavily in his Jimmy Olsen run and were one of those crazy awesome ideas you'd expect from The King.

Of course all of Jack Kirby's ideas while at DC were an example of "pearls before swine", and DC promptly squandered the amazing creations they were given.

These old vidya ads are more entertaining than this entire storyline

What. If the National guard hasn't shown up yet whose attack helicopters are those?

Doomsday falls with enough force that he ends up in the underground rape monster tunnels from Superman: The Man of Steel #17( ) and frees the rebel underworlders from imprisonment. He then kills all of them off screen and Superman just shows up to grab Doomsday.

Really, I thought I missed a page there, but nope. Somebody wanted those assholes dead but also had to make sure the issue set up the next one.

Doomsday catches his foot on an underground power-line and the entire underground, made up of mutants and homeless people, goes up in a monumental explosion. Well, that at least takes care of the whole "bum monster society living underneath Metropolis" problem.

The eruption, which brought Metropolis's homeless population down to zero, is enough that it rocks the mighty Lexcorp tower! Luthor goes on some standard nineties badguy crap of blaming the hero, but Super-Slime acts!

And promptly gets her face splattered across Doomsday's fist.

SASSY PRODUCTIONS HAS GENUINE PREHISTORIC POOP FOR SALE!

Back in the comic, Doctor Emile Hamilton fires a beam that causes non-stop explosions. Explosions so great that I have trouble figuring out whats happening. Since this prevents me from actually reading the comic, I'll take a moment to consider whatever happened to Professor Potter.

That's how you know this was made in the 90's. Trading cards and POGS.

BTW, nice of Skybox to splurge and get the Man of Steel the finest in styrofoam tombstones.

Look guys! It's Terrible Turpin! It's the actual Terrible Turpin, not the Turpin from the animated series which was redesigned to look like Jack Kirby. The last time I read something with him in it was New Gods #5 where he fought Kalibak. Seeing him here is just another thing that causes a pang of disappointment to shoot through the shriveled mass I call my heart.

By his side is Maggie Sawyer. She was meant to be a lesbian, and while this was a subtle in the animated series, in the comics they hit you with it like a brick. Look at her there and just try to tell me she isn't a bull dyke.

I'd talk about the action, but everything anyone does here is massively ineffective. Except for American Comics Holiday Sale. They probably did gangbusters.

I feel pity for readers in the 90's.

I was just reminiscing the other day about trading cards. I remember having like 5 inch thick binders full of worthless sports and marvel trading cards. I still remember going to a packed mall and there being a store that did nothing other than sell trading cards. They mirrored comics in enjoying a popularity boom after some old rare ones sold for good money.

I feel pitty for us man, this bad, but not tumblr-tier bad

So as the Cadmus jet guys go pew pew, Doomsday and Superman engage in mortal combat! The entire history of Superman, neigh all comics, all riding on a super-powered version of a parking lot fist-fight.

Stay tuned for the next issue where we question just how much access should the press have to active major disasters.

Oh, and Superman dies. That's a thing that happens too.

I want to bring this up in response to faggots bemoaning that comics were once good. Here we have Superman in the fight of his life, with Metropolis going up in smoke, and Lex Luthor, his greatest enemy, is just sitting on his ass. Doing nothing.

Since 1986 this medium has been nothing but blue balls.

You know…it's too bad Doomsday is always portrayed as a mindless brute. It may be the ad with Macho Man…but I want Doomsday to actually talk and sound like Macho Man. Kinda like Rasslor.

Is it during this time, we got Beard and Hair Lex? Because of that's the case, he is going to have to play the good guy during that time.

Also, wish they keep Beard and Hair Lex around

They did, although he lost his beard and hair.

IT'S TIME

Superman #75. The highest selling comic of all time.

Superman and Doomsday continue to fight it out. The entire fate of the DC universe, from now until forever, turns upon this non-stop punch fest.

And even more helicopters are destroyed.

I didn't need this reminder today.

I really want to feel like this fight is meaningful, that I should take it in with sober reflection, but the entire thing is so dumb.

Why does Superman have to stop Doomsday now? This is where having the villain be an actual character would help justify those sort of actions.

Gotta sell those trading cards.

Lois is getting in the way, again. Seriously Lois, it's a fucking rock man that wrecked everything on his way here. Fucking give him some space and wait for him to leave. The previous issues clearly showed that Doomsday can't tell if people are dead or not. If you ever find yourself confronted by a rock covered man mountain with a thirst for destruction, remember to lie down and play dead.

SUPER-FIST RIGHT UP DOOMSDAY'S ASS

As Doomsday reels from Superman annihilating his sphincter, Lois asks an important question: "What does Doomsday want?"

No-one in this arc ever asked this question. Nobody has tried to reason with Doomsday, either through words or through mental contact, in order to find out why he's destroying everything. Instead everyone just attacked him without any attempt to understand him.

If only they knew of Doomsday's dream of becoming a professional wrestler, then maybe all of this pain could've been avoided.

The thunderous blows rock the city. Over and over they assault each other, demanding the other yield. Blood covers the man of steel's body as he pounds his opponent over and over again, his own flesh just as broken. Their strength nearly at an end. It looks like on this sad day, people will remember

AMERICAN COMICS & ENTERTAINMENT'S MEGA-SALE! ALL ORDERS POST-MARKED BY NOVEMBER 14TH GET 20% OFF!

The unthinkable has happened.

Superman, on this day, died.

Let's all have a moment of silence for the late, great, Man of Steel.

Well enough of that shit. My copy of Superman #75 is the deluxe edition, so let's see what crap we got with it.

We've got a commemorative mourning armband. Now we too can pretend that we've lost a loved one, or be accidentally mistaken for a member of some fascist movement!

A special edition trading card! That's also an ad! And has a big "PROTOTYPE" stamped on it!

An actual obituary for Superman! That's printed through the spine so nobody can actually read it!

And finally, stamps! Completely unusable, utterly baffling stamps!

To cap the entire Death of Superman experience, this historic issue comes in it's own polybag so it can be preserved for generations to come.

Now that Superman has finally kicked the bucket, stay tuned for the next exciting issue where
THE REAL BULLSHIT STARTS

Hey, I liked Reign of Superman…unless the bullshit being the Time Magazine thing

no, first you get the extremly wanky Funeral for a Friend arc, then you get Cyborg, Super Boy, eradicator and ghetto ironman

Hey, the newstime or what ever it was called magazine thing was neat, it was filled with all sorts of fluffy world building stuff like in universe fast food ads and how normal people in the DCU react to things. It was the best part of the whole death of superman merchandising bullshit.

This entire arc reminds me of this criticism, especially in light of the incredible amount of destruction we've just witnessed.

Superman's death here is completely meaningless.

Actually, X-Men #1 sold more. 8.1 million copies vs 3 million copies. It's not even the second highest because X-Force #1 sold 5 million copies

Why does that reviewer sound so fat? He sounds like he's out of breath just breathing.

The difference is DOS was sold out in every retailer while X-Men #1 was preordered to tune of 8 million because it was shipped with something like 5 variant covers each one being released the following week of it's debut. The first one sold a shit ton with probably comparable sales to DOS, but millions of the following variants just sat on the shelves.

I think another thing was they had to make everybody a moron to make Doomsday a threat.

Notice how all these flying heroes with ranged weapons are now suddenly ground level against an enemy that at best could toss something against them or jump their way?
It feels like the military with a "Precious Animal Wildlife" trap, and a catapult to the sun could take him out.

Nevertheless it still doesn't make Superman #75 the best selling comic of all time. You could claim that Superman #75 had the best sales day in comics with no counterargument, but it's clearly only one of the best selling comics

I'm reminded of the Justice League episode 'A Better World' where Justice Lord Superman just straight up lobotomises him.

Right, I wasn't trying to argue. Just trying to paint a picture of the time and why DOS's sales seem to stand out in people's memories.

And remember that other time he comes back he has to imprison him in lava as they fight inside an erupting volcano as the government launches nukes, and Batman has to stop it!
As they tangle with the ethical implications of Phantom Zone imprisonment and their own government seeing them as a threat!

…I dunno, I think it would be more compelling if they just punched each other allot.

I liked that episode though.

It was a dig at the comic. Both Animated showups of doomsday where great.

Superman #75 sold out of 3 million issues the first day of release. X-Men #1 and X-Force were pre-orders and actual sales of X-Men #1 were only 3 million over the course of it's run. This is why it could be said that Superman #75 was the highest selling comic of all time, as there's actual reports of it's sales to actual customers. Meanwhile, there are so many copies of X-Men #1 floating around that they often sell for below their cover price.

Also, X-Men #1 was a massive disaster for comic shops. They sold only around 3 million copies of 8.5 million ordered. Over half of what they ordered didn't sell.

If you'd learned to read, we already discussed this upthread
That's so unlike Superman #75

Welcome to modern comics. That scenario has been every single comic arc since 1988.

Take Knightfall for example. I love Knightfall, but think everyone can agree that Batman was goddamn retarded in that arc. Not only did he let Bane play him like a fiddle, he didn't even go after Bane's incredibly obvious weakpoint, something other media didn't hesitate to point out.

While I don't disagree, haven't there been stories before where everybody escaped from Arkham and Batman didn't rest until they were rounded up and put back?
That's the difference between Death of Superman and Knightfall. Death of Superman was just a slugfest, one where Superman acted dumb and out of character just to make the plot work. Whereas in Knightfall Batman did nothing that wasn't out of character, except not fuck with Bane's venom delivery system.

He did take on a larger and stronger opponent in a hand to hand fight while physically exhausted, a lesson he was supposed to have learnt against the KGBeast.

One thing I like about the episode? Bane's face during the overdose.

DCAU treated Doomsday and Bane very similarly.

1) They went unused for a long time, in spite of being prominent rogues
2) In their first appearances, they were both treated as something of a joke, easily defeated with barks far worse than their bite
3) Heavily retooled and taken more seriously for their subsequent appearances, possibly in response to autistic screeching from the audience

I wouldn't say that DCAU Bane went unused for a long time, seeing as he was a new villain, created in 1992/3 after the show had come out, and appeared in an episode first aired in September 1994, which means the episode would have had to have been made at least six months before it aired.

Everything else was accurate.

Who's this guy? I'd like to check out this thing in length.

How about answering the fucking question, you nigger?

Who's the nigger? Hint: It's you

Oh boy. Now begins the whole "Funeral for a Friend" part of "The Death of Superman" saga, where the whole thing calcifies from "stupid" into "deceitful".

But that's a discussion for later, right now we've got Justice League America #70, where what remains of the Justice League comes to grips with their feelings of loss and failure.

TOO SOON, SUNSOFT.

Booster Gold is over-come by his feelings of helplessness and failure, while Maxima thinks about the time she wanted to ride Superman's baloney pony. Now that baloney pony is cold and dead.

As they mourn, Guy Guardner shows up to be an ass. I'm glad they've toned this aspect down in recent years because fuck.

Blue Beetle's fucked. He's comatose and probably won't recover. Booster Gold is fucked too. His super high-tech future suit is shredded. Fire's fucked also. She's powerless at the moment. They're all fucked now. Fucked and sad.

Oh, now the big leaguers show up. When I first read this issue, this was the part where I nearly threw my tablet and crying "BULLSHIT!"

Where the fuck were any of these guys when Superman needed them? Were any of them concerned when they saw Superman and Doomsday pounding it out? Are any of them really his friends?

The only one I give a pass to is Aquaman. Superman sure as hell wasn't around to help Aquaman when his kid got trapped in a spit-bubble and died.

All of DC's superheroes show up to honor Superman, who they just watched die without lifting a fucking finger.

And this is where they all get their dandy keen mourning arm-bands. Now DC can remind readers of all titles that Superman is, indeed, dead.

Bloodwynd, I find your faith that the League will survive to be woefully misplaced. You couldn't get any of your big members to actually show up when you really needed them. I can only imagine what member attendance is like when there's lesser threats to deal with. Bloodwynd, face it. The League is fucked.

As Ice makes an ice statue to honor Superman, Guy Gardner sneaks an armband for himself. DC's really selling it now.

Speaking of selling, check out that DC subscription ad for 1993. Notice who's missing?

Looking at it, maybe I was a little bitter about Justice League America #70. Maybe I've let this whole thing make me hard and cynical toward this event. I should lighten up.

Oh wait no, I've got eleven more issues of DC telling me over and over again that Superman is totally dead and will never come back.

So stay tuned for the next exciting issue where everyone tries everything in their power to revive Superman, but it doesn't work because Superman is fucking dead.

Why do they keep turning Guy into a jerk…to the point of being a psychopath at times? Dude was a teacher for crying out loud

How fucked is Ted? Dude got heart issues after this….yeah, Doomsday fucked Ted up for life.

Google RedLettermedia.

That would have been waaaaaay better than the official plot.

Yeah. A GYM teacher.

A teacher still.

I like The Death of Superman better as an excuse plot. The real meat of the story is not the actual death of Superman, but rather what comes after. They could have had him killed by a falling Kryptonite meteor for all it would have mattered

Heck, considering that the origin of the Death of Superman…came from a flippant remark by Jerry Ordway. Also, this was supposed to be a stall until Lois and Clark actually got to the episode where they got hitched and Warner Bros. asked DC to put the wedding of Superman and Lois on hold so they can have it done on TV first.

That'd make a pretty sweet armband for an alternate timeline where Superman was literally Hitler though

The Adventures of Superman #498 where DC makes absolutely sure that everyone understands that Superman is dead.

Also, apparently Maggie Sawyer had no model sheet because her look is all over the place.

Bloodwynd, who has brain powers, tells everyone Superman is dead. Dubblix, who also has brain powers, tells everyone Superman is dead. Nobody buys this and Guardian gets his opportunity to kiss Superman's sweet, sweet lips gives Superman mouth to mouth resuscitation. No dice there either.

Meanwhile, Luthor gets his gooey girlfriend back.

COLLECTED EDITION OF BATMAN VS PREDATOR COMING OUT IN DECEMBER, YEAH!

Guardian gets mad at the emps for cracking wise. Seriously Guardian, cracking wise is the only way those in the medical profession can stay sane when constantly confronted by death and suffering.

As everyone refuses to accept that Superman is dead, Cat Grant tells Lois to get her fucking shit together and report about Superman getting killed. Meanwhile, some fucking shit kid gets told by his new dad. Why is it that every kid so far in this event is either a punk or insane?

That's because Guy is the worst lantern and a shit character, and that's a fact
There was shitposting or a mod got trigger happy?

Which I may add, a new enemy that still need to be seen his weakness. So wasn't that out of the blue that Batman didn't stab his venom dose

Aww, DC. Why do you have to show all the tears of Ma and Pa Kent? This is just cruel considering you're going to bring him back in less than a year.

As Super-Slime regains her Supergirl form, Cadmus shows up on the scene! They want Doomsday and Superman's bodies! For SCIENCE! Because we can't deal with these things like adults, Turpin punches the guy.

It's bad formatting. He's replying to this post

Fuck me I guess?

Oh. That's ok then, for a moment I got scared that people started to get a b& for talking about a character

The Cadmus guy reels as Doctor Hamilton shows up with his super-duber shock device that may just be enough to Frankenstein Superman back to life.

Using one of the Cadmus pew pew guys as a jumper, they fire that sucker up and see if they can make themselves a Super-Stein!

I've got it. I'll post it on the Vola when I'm done here.

Welp, that didn't work. Looks like Superman's deader than disco.

The Big Guy is coming…

Thank you OP
is vola like a Dropbox? I usually read comics on the loo at work so scans are better than have to download it on pc to read it

That's the twist of the knife right there. After Lois writes her story and Jimmy gets his pictures to Perry, the comic closes with a "This issue is dedicated to the memory of JOE SHUSTER" Thank the lord in heaven he was legally blind before he died so he didn't have to see this shit.

Stay tuned for the next issue where we can all get mad at the numerous heroes in Superman's funeral procession who could've easily prevented Superman's death.

Batman pushing away his allies like a fucking idiot is rather out of character. Tim and Jean-Paul want to help, but he tells them to take a hike for most of the arc. Doesn't even try to call Dick.

It's worse that does this for EVERY SINGLE ARC afterward. It's a stale formula: push the family away, get fucked, bring the family back.

Ah, but Tim saw Bane juice up before knocked the shit out of Croc and told Bruce all about the tubes injecting Venom into his brain.

Batman knew all about Bane's bullshit, but the story required him (and later Azbats) to ignore it.

It's on the Vola. Go Download it.

It isn't though. In A Death in the Family, after Jason gets killed he refuses to call Dick because A) he doesn't want anyone else killed and B) because he decides he wants to work alone in the future. In the follow-up, In a Lonely Place of Dying, it's very difficult for Batman to ask Dick for help and he's very, very reluctant to take Tim on as a partner (and in fact made him train for about a year/two years before he officially became Robin)

Did I say the next issue was Superman's funeral procession? Well, I'm a dumbass because we've got Action Comics #685 before that. DC really dragged Superman's funeral out.

Again, DC reminds us that yes, Superman is dead, before cutting quickly to a stand-off. Cadmus wants Superman's body and is waving around papers to prove he has a right to it. Also, Maggie Sawyer has changed again. First we had the bull-dyke in a flak jacket. Then the Sally Jessy Raphael look alike. Now we've got a tall Rambo looking chick. Nice quality control you've got there, DC.

Anyway, Luthor hears about it and sends Super-Slime and his ROM looking dudes to break it up.

So yeah, Supergirl wrecks all their shit. Luthor apparently calls the president to get Cadmus to stop. Can the president do that? Just order some branch of the government to stop doing what they're supposed to do? I don't know. I slept during civics.

Oh, and everyone is sad because Superman is dead. Can't forget that. Very important.

The world is informed (again?) of Superman's death. Of course the Arabs look like they could give less of a fuck, but oh man Japan. Superman's demise is so great that it causes the populace to abandon their long held cultural value of emotional control. Or maybe that guy is weeping in joy because his favorite fetish, bukakke, now has more videos dedicated to it. We'll never really know.

Back at the Metropolis morgue, Luthor busts a fucking chair over the dead body of Doomsday. Doomsday robbed him of his greatest desire: killing Superman. Luthor only has himself to blame. He spent too much time pussy-footing around and not enough time putting serious effort into killing Superman. Priorities.

Super-Slime makes her debut as a replacement for Superman stopping some robbers. I would imagine crime would sky-rocket after Superman's death. Speaking of which, why's Luthor still maintaining the pretense of being a benevolent businessman? Get your Rom looking guys to start a Reichstag fire and become King of Earth in Superman's name!

Hail Mary full of grace! Bibbo kicks everyone out of his bar to prey to Mary, Mother of God. Oh boy. We need this.

Stay tuned for the next issue where we can really get mad at all the heroes in Superman's funeral procession who did fucking nothing.

Post-Crisis Luthor doesn't have that kind of ambition. He's happy just having hair.