Why is enemy-scaling such a common thing in video games?

Why is enemy-scaling such a common thing in video games?
What's the point of getting better gear and armour if the enemies are going to remain at virtually the same difficultly?
It would be better to just not scale the enemies, but also not to make the player more powerful.

*Note: Enemy scaling does not mean "enemies getting legitimately more difficult further into the game". If new enemies appear that are tougher than old enemies, that's a different story altogether.

Other urls found in this thread:

just
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nice blog post, nigga.

Cite an example of both at least.

Because the alternative (new enemies with different, harder to counter/avoid attacks) would require knowing good game design, something a lot of modern devs are bad at.

That isn't a blogpost.

just as bad as buzzfeed, why are you even linking to this site? use allthetropes.orain.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LevelScaling

Put down the buzzwords and take a deep breath

The sites cancer, but it has clear examples of certain phenomena in media, neatly catalogued.

All modern Bethesda games as an example for the scaling, Doom 2 as an example of new enemies that are harder further into the game.

because "Game Designers" feel the need to constantly make sure that the player always faces the exact same amount of difficulty at any point, and cannot comprehend how anyone would have fun actually feeling powerful or that they have accomplished something.

Morrowind vs skyrim, or any other besthesda game past oblivion. Also newer final fantasy games (I think they started scaling at 8 or 9).

To the ops point. Its more difficult (read: time consuming) to create flat scaling. Thats really the only reason.

Are there any games that scale the enemy's power based on an in-game timer, rather than the character's level?

holy shit I hate wordfilters, if the people of Holla Forums don't want to support a shit site then they just won't click the link when someone posts it. There's no need to censor it for them, this isn't a "safe space"

We also don't want people like you here, that's why.

Why?

Surely, you already know the answer to this. Easier to pump in content without planning and designing. Less time spent on worrying about properly predicting player aptitude and overall less money spent on actually designing the game and more money spent on THEM GRAPHIX you niggers love so much.

Because AI takes skill and money, neither which developers have in abundance

Go spam your clickbait somewhere else, faggot.

don't forget people are too stupid for some sort of advanced tactics.

It's even easier not to let the player get more powerful at all. But devs like to be lazy and stick to formula, which demands levelling-up in order to give a sense of character progression.

i miss the time when progression was just giving the player a new weapon or gadget or ability to play around with

Borderlands (1 maybe, 2 definitely) I was playing with my >girlfriend and the entire experience was fucking excruciating.
South Park: Stick of Truth
Many, many RPGs

I assume the logic Bethesda uses is its hard to place the dungeons in a way that makes an effective progression.

It's still shit though

It got fucking unbearable in borderlands 2 it was in 1 I'm pretty sure but it wasent as bad (although it's being a lot longer since I played 1)

Because it's easier than making actual challenges in any sort of game - be it RPG, action, FPS, etc - where the player character's power progresses. You essentially nullify any need to actually balance progression of player skill and challenge, effectively killing any meaningful progression of skill - even in games where the primary skill is managing the progression of a character like RPGs.

Scaling is usually done for some model system, and if you'll optimize better, you can get ahead of the curve.