Why do they insist on making reboots of movies and games? they always turn out to be shit

Why do they insist on making reboots of movies and games? they always turn out to be shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zKB66pjw-JA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Brand loyalty that generates shekels

At least Shadow Warrior was great

Fury Road is not a reboot

What was wrong with Toy Story 3.

Fury Road (game and movie) were good, XCOM2 was good, Shadow Warrior was good.

Rest are shit and are just nostalgia cash grabs; ever since the writer's strike of 2007, everything went to shit.

It's a reboot

same as above aside from having the same cast.

Because making new IPs takes risks, and people don't buy and support new IPs, they stick to IPs they're familiar with.
EVERYONE is guilty of this, including Holla Forums.

The reason behind why this is the case is rooted in part in the fact that we're all living longer lives.
CEOs live 20000 years and just stick to what works.
Players live 200 years and only buy the lastest entry in the franchise they know.
With no generational exchange, old timers set in their ways pass on IP loyality to youngesters in a way that doesn't make them understand what made that IP great in the first place, it's a memetic, empty exchange of information, repeating something like a parrot.

Because people buy them, retard.

Its a reboot if you choose to ignore every aspect of what the word "reboot" means.

On the movie front: a studio that hasn't been in the news lately and is losing relevancy can use a reboot as a way to generate buzz.
Or they can use it to make a quick buck to fund other shit.
Generally they know that the movie is crap, but it will make millions before the negative reviews hurt it, then they just release it internationally and make 10 times the budget back.

Hollywood is like most other businesses, where you can only fail upwards.

Games are different. If you don't like new Lara/doom to bad, thousands of new fans will defend it, buy it and love it. They are appealing to a younger, more broad demographic that you are not part of.

Mate, my parents dont talk or barely talk about brands.
Its all just brainwashing marketing and sticking to what it works just like the CEOs.
People just dont want to waste their time with things out of line with their interests, and I can understand that, to a degree even if I think you shouldnt do it because you could be saving time or effort by instead buying a superior product, thus shooting yourself in the foot by believing the fallacy that most believe that Popularity = Quality which makes us have subpar products.

Still, like I said, people just want to live their life so I can understand that to a degree, but when that shit happens in your hobby, the thing you choose to waste and spend a great deal of lifetime with, then theres no fucking excuse, you should be searching for the superior products in the hobby not just following whatever is fucking popular.

OH BOY HERE WE GO

Oh boy, here we go again.

Apart from having one of the MC's be female, how is it feminist? They showed pretty clearly that the "utopia", the Green Place, set up by the old women got completely fucked anyways so their arguments/implications that men killed the world didn't even hold water.

Immortan Joe really did nothing wrong though.

Fury Road wasn't feminist shit but it was terrible in general, the only appeal was the visuals and the use of practical effects

Immortan Joe did literally nothing wrong

Sounds like a fucking cunt to me

The only source of water was groundwater that he pumped up. Without rain to replenish it, eventually it'll run out. Considering how much water is required to cultivate literally anything even in an area like Kansas, which is not nearly as hellish as Australia, they would have decimated the reserves quickly. The only other option would be to construct some sort of massive greenhouse and make a self contained garden with its own weather systems, which would be appallingly difficult even for a seasoned team of engineers, let alone some cancer-ridden old man and his psychotic followers and children.

Because CEOs are part of a cargo cult.

Thankfully I don't deal with the corporate world very often, but they are genuinely no more in tune with making money than a New Guinea tribesman.

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

IIRC he had plants growing in one section of the reserve

No originality and business efficiency methods in crafts
Kids these days don't remember old IP's and normalfags are not informed about the raping they are about to see

Jews + Lack of general interest

ONLY ON NINTENDO ULTRA 64

Makes me wish they kept that name and we got the MEGA CUBE

the Wii can still be the Wii whatever

But let me guess, you are just pretending to be retarded?

They're banking out on two things:

- Ignorant fanboys or normalfags who will buy the game out of the hype generated by e-celebs and commercials and social media shit, even though most of them will barely even play it past the first two weeks
- The fact that by resetting the lore and the series to their first iteration's name, they create this weird scenario where kids of today will refer to Doom not as the iconic FPS but as the Halo clone, and anything released afterwards (IF it's even selling enough to warrant a sequel) will be compared to that rather than the original.

He's def not very bright, but he shows 2 piss poor sequels, and a sequel to a reboot, along with 3 real reboots
Only Toy Story 3 doesn't deserve to be there, unless he refers to localizations, in which case i heard the producers rarely returned to the voices/people who did their respective voices in several regions, which makes it bizarre when doing a marathon

He's continuing to win.
Their reaction and attention probably got him off further.

Mad Max is the only game I have been invested enough to actually finish from my backlog in the past 3 years.

This. Holla Forums likes to complain but majority of people around here perpetuate it by buying that shit anyway.

what a shitty choice
i mean the game can be fun, but it's literally just another collectathon in a big desert
i'm sure there's been at least one other game released in that time that you'd enjoy

I find the Mad Max game to be the biggest waste of potential ever.

What was wrong with making a Road Rash game with JC2's level of scale, and a few survival elements (like limited ammo, car repairs)?

I didn't like the Shadow Warrior reboot.
It was a fun shooter but it certainly lacked some qualities that I want in a shooter.
For instance I actually like to have projectile based weapons that feel good to shoot.

Not even once

Speaking of remakes, how do you all feel about the comming System Shock remake?

I personally never played the first, but SS2 have a special place in my heart.

No possible way for it to be good, and no good reason for it to exist. SS1 is still playable in CURRENT_YEAR, it just has a non-conventional control scheme that actually takes getting used to instead of just sitting down and using the same controls every 9 out of 10 releases use

Night Dive is competent enough, they made Spirits of Xanadu pretty much as a test demo and its pretty decent at capturing the atmosphere, shootings pretty swell as well, and the footage they have shown also shows promise and Im ok with it, SS is pretty basic aside from inventory management, maze like levels and ammo types which can be mimicked pretty well.

But like I said, Kickstarter and Xbone release doesnt really get me hopeful even with a mixed bag of some of the original devs of both games.
I also have no idea how are they not going to fuck up the CyberWorld sequences.

Id say wait it out and see what happens after its funded.

And it completely shits the bed in terms of level design which was you know pretty fucking important in the original. Never mind weapon/enemy balance which got killed pretty much completely because HURR GOTTA HAVE DEM RPG ELEMENTS

also the sword was OP with its skills. I tried to use it as little as possible when i was playing it.

Isn't there already some System Shock HD thingy or am I thinking of this?

The sword was the bet thing about that game, why would you limit yourself like that?

Its a rerelease with some mods thrown in

because BRANDS occupy the same mental space as PEOPLE RECOGNITION (name, face, voice), the evolved mental gym you use to identify friend and foe.
dumb people don't correct for this mental defect so it generates guaranteed money.

Why live?

It's probably going to bring in the people who say Unity isn't that bad but,

At least they arent giving money outside the country to chinaman kikes.

Because the profit motive is more important than creativity and originality in our society.

I wasn't saying it was horrible, but it suffers from a lot of the flaws of modern games, namely the reliance on scripted events, cutscenes, QTE's, etc

Plus as good as the vehicle combat/customization was, it was offset by the boring on-foot sections, and many of the survival elements just couldn't counteract how hand-holdy the game was.

All in all, I guess you could say the game was MEDIOCRE.

Stay patriotic, cuck.

It had its moments, certainly wasn't anything special. Something about it kept me interested enough to finish the story at least. I got really tired of muh scrap though.
I wouldn't say it was a shitty choice. It was decent entertainment, if you like the mad max universe anyway.

why live? it gives me an advantage over them

it's not bad or good, it's an engine. it's bare bones as fuck and you can make good or bad things with it. the bad ones use default assets and asset store shit so you easily associate them, the good ones you don't even know are Unity.

There's a feel to Unity regardless of assets. I saw the trailer before reading anything and the first thing I thought was "This is using Unity isn't it?"

Because i want to play FPS, not Dark Messiah.

that used to be true but the Unity5 lighting is almost identical to the newer UE4 lighting, you can't spot by eye anymore.

Yea just like how skyrim used a new engine and you werent able to tell the difference too

skyrim didn't use a new engine, Todd.

For the record, I Like Dark Messiah very much.

Shadow Warrior was good but
I really hope they fixed this in the next one.

Why are people constantly misusing this word now?
Half of the movies and games in OP's pic are sequels.

That's the joke

SW2 uses randomly generated levels through the whole game (excluding the "city" or "hub" area) Overall it's like borderlands (fps with stats/levels) but much faster, you can climb buildings, you don't take fall damage etc. Overall, it looks good and cool, but i'm worried.

Dredd was fantastic. Far better than the first attempt with Stallone.

that's really cool, especially for co-op.
please don't say this. especially in regards to the maps, borderlands terrain was so fucking shit.

i know that's why i called you todd :(

Seriously why don't more games do this? Shit makes a game like 50% more enjoyable. I'm sick of all this "realistic" shit.

You're going to have to get into the specifics before I belive you user.
How and why is it better/fantastic?

Mad Max was always a failing franchise, the sequel is probably one of my favorite movies from last year.

Absolutely amazing imho

I can tell you why they reboot games, it's because they don't want to compete with the older games in quality. Better to pretend the old games never happened and all that exists is the new one. Fanboys as usual will happily act as a cult pretending the old material never existed or was 100% bad, so they also have a loyal army practicing brainwashing. Star Wars VII is a good example, since they barely, if at all, used the number in marketing.

I'm using borderlands as "FPS with "RPG" elements without roleplaying

The devs said that they basically want you to play like heroes from anime. Now you can be Naruto too ! :^)

i love realistic sim, i love arcade.
the half-way middleground shit is mentally abusive and obnoxious.

Have you seen it? Its actually a good dredd movie

Normalfags suspension of disbelief is easily breakable and due to their ignorance of many facts about life itself publishers can call it "realistic" and theyll buy it, quite literally.
Why do you think Call of Duty fans are all pissy about their next game being full on Sci Fi?

Yeah I agree. I like realistic games like Arma or Operation Flashpoint, but I hate this middle state. Still my most favorite type of game would be a mix of quake half life and serious sam. Storytelling of HL2, gameplay of Quake and the insanity of SS

I meant just Half-Life, not HL2…

I havent see it, thats why Im asking why should I bother watching it?
I barely watch TV or Movies nowadays.

I recommend it, it knows what it is and does it well.

I didn't see the new one, but it has almost 78% on roten tomatoes. The original is at 18%

Nigger, tell me more about it
Pacing, plot, dialogue, setting.
Pretend you're a shill and sell it to me

Nigger come on

youtube.com/watch?v=zKB66pjw-JA

The Gaming market is over saturated with rebbots and they need to boil it back down

And they need to Keep it back to basics

Can you imagine valve rebooting Half-Life instead of releasing HL3 ? What would happen ?

The world would explode

Dredd and a rookie respond to a call and arrive at one of these big towers which is under control of a large drug gang. Soon the tower enters shutdown mode and they are locked in having to fight their way through the hundreds of floors to reach the gang leader.

Nothing

People would say the Black Mesa team beat them to it.

Well yeah, but i mean what if they did it the EA way. With massive marketing and shit. As if it was their main product. Half-Life Source wasn't did not had any ads i think. They just released it

Dredd was one of the better action movies of the last 10 years. No overblown retarded michael bay-style non-stop weightless laughable boring "action".

I know, I was just busting your balls.

This would happen then, or the PC gaming equivalent of it.

yeah, this game will be as shitty as the first one

Shadow Warrior was pretty good.

Alright, you've convinced me since they are keeping it grounded and contained instead of spreading themselves too thin like most Blockbusters.
Ill give it a try, thanks.

Son, did you even play the first game?
Even the PS4 port had an FOV slider

HOTSHOT

Not him but it's a solid action movie that makes good use of its limited budget, and manages to make a lot with its setting despite the entire movie basically taking place inside one building. I'd compare it to The Raid (which actually came out the same year), though I'd argue it's a better movie since the action never starts to fatigue, unlike in The Raid where the final act just has you wishing the movie would end already.

Also despite trying to take a more serious, grim tone compared to the shitty 90's Dredd with Stallone, it manages to have some fun elements, such as a drug that makes the user witness things in slow motion, and Dredd's sidekick having minor telekinetic powers, and it manages to make the otherwise campy looking judge uniforms look fitting in a fairly realistic dystopian future city setting.

nigga i'll fight you

Because humans don't make the decisions anymore. Movies, games etc are designed by computers. And gee it turns out computers are crap at originality. Which is pretty fucking astounding for the autistic professors out there.

Making shitty reboots to better original games makes it easier for the audience of today to like even worse games. When you convince people that the dry turd is just as good or even better whatever it's based on, then people will be more accepting when you show them the wet turd.

Imagine what what they'll do when they decide to make a reboot of Doom 4, or a reboot of DmC. They'll make reboots of reboots on and on until the newest reboot for video games are nothing more than two-image slideshow gifs drawn by 8 year old children you have to pay 140 dollars to look at.

this

There has to be at least one or two good reboots out there, right? One that was at least as good if not better than what it was based off. I know there's got to be an example of something that was shit the first time around and much better the second.

That would be relevant if we weren't living in the decade of remakes and companies playing safe, refusing to experiment with new IPs.

All of those are good except Ghostbusters.

I mean Star Wars is not good but I wouldn't put it on the same level of Ghostbusters 2016

go back to /pol retard

Dredd is ok, but don't expect the level of Fury Road when it comes to action.
I mean, it's one of the best action of the last 5 years, but we've had very few valid action movies lately

Take this hothead out of here.

We've also got a reboot of the Rocky Horror Picture Show and MacGuyver coming. I think it's safe to say that all mediums have run out of ideas to use.

Mad Max Fury Road is what every action movie should aspire to be, 10% exposition and 90% fucking action, instead of what every other movie does: short action sequences split by long talk talk talk moments nobody cares about (yes, I'm even shittalking John Wick)

Also it's safe to say The Force Awakens is a reboot, seeing as how the plot is exactly the one from Episode 1 but with woman and nigger instead

that meat is rare