Does the "retro-gaming" community feel exceptionally cancerous to anyone else these days? What happened?

Does the "retro-gaming" community feel exceptionally cancerous to anyone else these days? What happened?

It's been that way for awhile, pal.

except it hasn't? It used to be that the retro-gaming and emulation community were more or less the same thing.

let those hipster retards keep getting scammed out of money.

I think it always did.

"Retro gaming" swung on with full force after Megaman 9 and an endless influx of retard kids who only know NES and Megaman, so they're so incredibly fucking dumb they don't believe there are any other 8-bit machines around and that if something doesn't sound like it came from a NES it's "not 8-bit" or think it was literally impossible to use PCM audio samples before the advent of 16-bit game consoles.

The majority of people who are into "retro" now either weren't born when these games were new or they didn't play them back then.

You say it like the people that liked to play games back then , moved onto something else, that never happened

I can still pop Mario 3 in my smartphone every now and then and draw the attention of any 30 year old and talk about some games.

Hipsters ruined retro gaming

Because it's easier to "fit in" if you pretend to have older stuff. Older stuff means you have played games longer, thus you "deserve" more respect. Most probably just play pixilshit on their phones rather than play on an actual 2d console.

Had a cameo, didn't his wife die? Does she play a ghost?

Those two faggots in the first image really have, "I should have been beaten more in school" look to them.

That is the joke.

Congrats, you got the joke.

Thanks for explaining, I don't know who this faggot is and by extend his apparently dead wife.

You did it champ. you got the joke.

Because its now about scalpers and hipster fucks trying to look cool.

Retro turned into an utter abomination of shit when people started liking it unironically. I have a special place for the Mega Man X games because it feels like yesterday when I played it as a kid, it's timeless to me. I don't get a "nostalgia" boner from it. This pompous air of superiority makes me sick. Fuck hipsters. They ruin everything they fucking touch.

Hipsters ruined retro gaming.
Hipsters ruined the chiptune music scene.
Hipisters ruined gaming in general
Hipsters ruined everything.

H-happy to help

That's actually true.

In b4 some hipsters claims "Hipsters don't exist!!!"*

I meant to post this picture. Fuck, I'm retarded.

if only there was some way to inoculate something from hipsters without letting in hordes of equally flippant and annoying normalfaggots.

We turn it overly racist and sexist.

And this started around 2009.
I know this because this one cancerous fuck invaded a DND group I was in High School. He came in with no invitation. A month later he completely destroyed the group with his Megaman fanboyisms and LoZ. He never played the games but said he did. It was stupid.

Too late for that. Even on here there are more than enough people who'll call something p-p-problematic if it's too sexist or racist.

It wasn't just the vidya well that they poisoned either

Record collecting for rare records used to be hard before millenial hipsters decided to jump on in the market, now its danm near impossible

How else does le happy merchant not gian mainstream adoption.

"retro-gaming" as a phrase had always been cancer, none of the games had never been "retro".

Even fucking Pong never fell out of popularity.

I noticed that too and I don't even collect records. Suddenly every fucking retard owned a vinyl of Dark Side of the Moon.

I really hated these fucks.

music hipsters are the most easily manipulated drones in human history.

Thats the worst part to me, they haven't even embraced GOOD older music, they've latched onto the commercial bullshit that they so claim to hate of the 70s and 80s

It doesn't help they latched onto the most overrated album of all time

DSOTM is okay, but people give it and Roger Waters way too much credit for an album thats okay at best and ignore truly good shit from them like WYWH and Animals

I swear, its the Evangelion of 70s rock albums

I'm fine with that. I'm not even doing it to keep normalfags out, I'm doing it because racism and misogyny is fun.

Holy shit that's the perfect way of describing it

Pink Floyd are shit without Syd Barrett. He did more than just ape krautrock bands like all the other idiots were doing after he was gone. See how when kraut started moving into electronic shit after the late 70s and pink Floyd started doing retarded pop ballads and shit?

Syd was a kook but I can't deny that his style was nice

Notice how their style completely changed when Waters started fronting the band, it wasn't necessarily bad, but it wasn't anything at all like their old stuff

You could argue thats just because they hadn't "found" their style yet, but I'd argue Roger Waters Ironed out any creative wrinkles to be able to sell the band at large, for better or worse

WYWH and Animals are still really fucking good though, and The Wall is at the very least impressive on a technical level

Most "retro gamers" never played games when they were kids, they're hipsters who hopped on the bandwagon.
AVGN on the other hand actually knows his shit, he has been playing games since he was a kid and just likes making videos shitting on bad games.

Wish You Were Here > Dark Side of the Moon > Animals > The Wall

We 70s music general now?

Nah man, Pigs alone is better than everything on DSOTM, and The Wall is far less "2deep4u" than DSOTM

the correct listing is

WYWH > Animals > The Wall > DSOTM

Ummagumma is still better than The Wall and DSOTM despite being a fairly cheaply produced pseudo-live album

Keith Emerson probably wouldn't have killed himself if he found Osu as a substitute to playing the piano

At least 70s music is a nigh-on endless treasure trove of good music. Unlike 90s music.

I also might blame some youtubers for helping project the image that you had have this big shelf of "collectibles" and wear a shirt with a NES controller or 8 bit Link in order to be a real gaymerrr.

GURRRL gamers also ruined a lot of things for everybody

This, part of it was legit autism, and the other part of it was shilling for Lootcrate and shit like that

Vidya trinkets are a dime a dozen nowadays

Im still waiting on a demi-fiend hoodie or shirt. Theyre always making trinkets for zelda and mario, but wheres the obscure shit.

What's the point of this service? Why would I want random shit shipped to me every month?

Its for hipsters who have too much expendable money and no identity.

Vidya merch is like band merch. There is a time and a place for that shit but if you're wearing a different Zelda shirt every day to work, you're a manchild.

It makes me mad because growing up liking these things essentially made you biggest loser in the room, and it insured that only people you could identify with were part of your clique. Now pieces of shit like Markipillar and tobuscus are drowning the culture and making it a fucking nightmare of "oh we're this now" and "we're that now". NO. FUCK YOU. Gaming was a counter culture. Now I don't l know anymore.

At least I still have anime……..

the OoT ringtones everyone has on their phone are pretty dope though.

Question: i have a gray zelda cart. Is it rare at all? Most of them are gold right?

I think the gold ones are the rarer ones.

I just remember that before the term "retro-gamer" came along, it felt like it was less autistic and people were putting more of their efforts towards improving emulation and/or modding.

Now you have people driving up the prices of original cartridges and discs even though the games themselves are what is valuable and those aren't rare at all.

Then you have this hipster retro-game fashion

no, you don't

NES zelda?

Oot i think.

Found your problem.

its 100% composed of leftists nu-male betacucks.

that's why it feels off-place.

Explain

I would break the news to you but I don't feel like doing that to someone right now.

When it became less about just playing the game and more about throwing a label on yourself to look cool.

user i have some bad news…

Hipsters can suck a dick, whatever garbage they make doesn't matter. They shit out pixel-art but that doesn't make actually good pixel-art invalid, as long as you're good at low-poly you'll be separated from them.

I just like old games because a lot tried to push the tech they were on and it shows, some age like milk, but damn do I love lots of old vidya

Well i meant that i have a gray nes cart.

low-poly still requires some effort to make it work, you can't just wave the "it's retro" flag at it like they did for pixels

Then i think gray nes carts are rarer.

It's been like that since the late 90s, the crowd obsessed with emulators and collecting ROMs was almost always poor-ish kids, while the people that grew up with those systems either happily moved onto 3D or moved on from vidya in general.

What really changed is that the entire western world got politically and socially balkanized to an extent never seen before, and all the people you used to get along with can't shut the fuck up with their social justice and virtue signalling for three seconds and now deliberately try to exclude and attack political enemies instead of leaving the politics at home so we can talk about some fucking VIDEO GAMES.

That, plus everybody knows about all of the "hidden gems" so there's very little genuinely exciting to discover anymore, and everyone slowly realized that the vast majority of old games really were uninspired and uninteresting. And what happens when a scene stagnates? It gets taken over by late-adopter cancer and SJWs.

fuck off

What the fuck? I don't get where this whole "geek chic" hipster bullshit is coming from. It's kind of funny that most of the guys I've bumped into that embraced it don't seem to have any girls that like them or anything though, despite acting desperate as fuck.

I miss those days. Loading up the emulator to play the games you could never afford, asking around about the games with ROMS available that you totally missed. Buying a N64 for cheap at a swap meet cause the Gamecube was out and nobody wanted that old thing anymore and you still had 8 months until your birthday when you might have a chance to get that gamecube with one game that would last you for two months until you could save up your five dollar a week allowance to buy a new game. Buying a dreamcast for 25 dollars and learning to burn isos.

I do think the problem with retro-gaming has an aura about it that makes it seem like retro-gaming is a return to purer and better days, but the truth is that many of the games that are icons of retro-gaming were the few games that stood out among all the trash for their originality and great design. I would only say I do sometimes find plenty of older systems with more consistently good games then some newer consoles, but yeah, a system being old didn't make it special.

Gaming isn't "counterculture" of any kind of culture, you faggot. It's just a hobby that one typically invests in because you're either a kid, your life sucks and you need good escapism, or more recently if you're a hipster faggot looking for another hobby to wear as your whole identity.

Same. I collect old computers and parts to resurrect them, and to recover and transcode data. I can convert old proprietary formats of art into modern image formats, saving them from oblivion, but every fuck is turning old disks and computers into faggot projects that destroy them.

My primary hobby has become firearms.

this. if you feel like you need to flout your "nerd cred" to the "posers" you're even more retarded than they are

i mean, shit, i once got beaten up at school for wearing a punch-out shirt my mom made for me, and when i see lel such a nerd XD punker chicks wearing their zelda shirts or whatever and acting like it's hot shit I feel that real, genuine coal of anger in my stomach too, but it is what it is

All gaming communities are cancerous

All of gaming feel exceptionally cancerous nowadays. You allowed the normalfags in. You preordered shit games. You bought consoles. You bought dlc.
You.

Emulators kinda act like a filter, removing anyone with two brain cells from the community and only leaving the easily gullible idiots and people that are too dumb to know what a emulator is in.

Speak for yourself, faggot.

We both know they're here, faggots who preorder shit and their like.

emulators are sort of a placebo, for much older games. 4th gen and back, they tend to be just fine even on much older hardware. These games play pretty much as they intended to with little issues, you can get a respectable and decent experience out of it. The minute you wade into mustard race hardware circlejerk territory is when you start getting the emulation fanatics that have crossbred with PC fanatics. Instead of people that understand the novelty and necessity of emulation, you have people that deem emulation to be superior to the original, despite emulation being inaccurate and many times not working, simply because they can scale up the resolution - ignoring what flaws this might bring.

Well yes, there are those retards.
But i mean mostly normal people that go to the net, see megaman 3 or something and just download the rom, have fun and make a bunch of nerds pissed off.

Look at these made-up fake nerds that are nothing like a real person would ever be never. Look at them ruining OP's booming nerd cred with their pretentious garbage.

I was once pegged by basketballs until covered in bruises and sobbing when I tried to play Superstar Saga at school.

Born just in time to see hipsters flood schools and pretend to like the things they put me down for all my life. Being a teen sucked.

That's a good joke OP.

Retro gaming hasn't changed for those that were always into it, all that happened is a heap of hipsters came into it over the last few years.

but user…

It went from talking about old games because you like them to talking about old games to appear as a hip gamer.

casuals need to leave

I still have to do that challange run sometime.

Hipsters.

RAYTHITHT!

So? They're not exactly rare. Every copy of OoT any of my friends got growing up was golden. Maybe it's a eurofag thing.

Well we all can't be fucking jews living in israel you giant fucking faggot.

I'm Norwegian. And from a good part of it. Guess some people are just plain better than others.

Looks like we need Retro Gaming…+ :^)

How did one guy destroy an entire group?

There are clear, factual benefits to emulation over actual hardware for a large amount of games that can not be hand waved like many try to do. There will always be preferences for original hardware for most people and I respect that, but I really wish people wouldn't immediately discard the benefits with vague claims of issues without specifying what they are and with what emulators and games.

There are games that are inferior when emulated and there are games that are superior when emulated, you have to look at these things on a case by case basis rather than dismissing either side.

I think Xenoblade Chronicles is an example of superior emulation. With the HD texture pack it's amazing playing in 1080p, and you can even use the controller of your choice. (Dualshock, Xbox, Classic, etc.)

I would use Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Portable 3rd as examples. PPSSPP is an outstanding emulator that runs well even with lots of upscaling, but the real benefits come with integrated internet play and being able to map the camera control to a controller's second analog stick. The portability argument can hardly be used against it as well, as it runs very well on smart phones and you can use a bluetooth controller with them.

Polite sage so as not to derail into emulator arguments.

It is entirely cancer. I mostly play retro games, because only the occasional modern game can hold my interest. I wish the retro game community was more into actually playing retro games rather than bitching about hardware, filters, "retro" modern games, and generally just using the scene as a status icon. We're supposed to be here to play video games, and it feels like almost everybody forgets that.

I just play shit that people recommend. I dont really care about playing on OG hardware, mainly because im too poor to afford it anyway. Emulation is king when it comes to price.

I have one of some Retro gamer magazines spanish edition mostly because they not only make articles of old vidya but also tech of the 80s and 90s.

Not to mention, they're 100% SJW free.
At least in the spanish version

Someone hasn't heard the LOUD ANNOUNCEMENT, it seems.

Price and quality.
Not that I'm saying that modern games are unequivocally shit, it's just that with retro games, they have been played and broken down for 20+ years now. It is very easy to find a full list of which ones are great and which ones are not. There's not a lot of contention about whether an older game is good or not, compared to modern games where every single new game has rounds of shit-flinging for years.

It's just nice to be able to take a game, even if you've never played it, and know you're going to have a good time when you put it in (or load it up in your favorite emulator). You don't have to worry about shills, or paid reviews, or early-adopter buyer's remorse. You know every review is honest and there is no shit you have to wade through to get the truth about a game.

And there is no buyers remorse if the game is shit. You just delete the file and download a new one.

I wouldn't worry about it, the best use of the emulator is to play games you don't have/can't get for free. But more importantly to preserve old games so they don't get wear and tear, whilst still being able to play it.

As for fake nerds. They're just weak willed people who are being sold an identity by corporations, so they can be sold useless "retro" game shirts. Also lets them market games like DOOM 2016 to these, "from the makers of doom and quake!" even though that's false and it's anything but retro.

Anybody have that picture some stupid cunt took of her trying to play Zelda 1 on a Super Nintendo?

I'm going to stop you right here, nobody with any self-repspect or actual taste would call themself a nerd. The whole "Nerd culture" was never a thing prior to it becoming commodity and term to refer to a market demographic.

Correct, I typed without thinking. I meant poser.

most "real nerds" look like complete rejects, like they were born in a sewer.

If it's OOT its rarer because only the first batch were grey and run version 1.0 of the game. Speedrunners typically use that version because it has glitches that you can't use in other versions.
I have no idea about NES zelda, but all the NES zelda carts I've seen are gold

see

user I think you're thinking of Majora's mask, it had a collector's edition that was gold and had a holographic label

>>>/tg/
You've obviously never met a true sperg. They can out-talk, out-volume, and just generally annoy you. They're always completely oblivious and never shut the fuck up
Just like I used to be

Nerd is actually a thing that teenage girls call themselves to signal. Neckbeard is basically the new nerd, it has all the same connotations

hipsters. i wouldn't have an issue if a kid/teen was legitimately getting into older games because they weren't shit. but when someone is getting into "retro" because it's "hip", i want to batter them with their stupid fucking NES belt and burn their shitty hot topic legend of zelda shirt.

using my memories as pop culture fodder can go fuck off with extreme prejudice. if someone's genuinely interested in the history of the medium and playing games that don't suck from the time period, i'm more than happy to engage. but if they know nothing about the symbols they are wearing, they can go eat a dick.

it's a shit hole alright. worst part of cambridgeshire is huntingdon (grew up there, hated it)

I play retro games mostly because my favorite genre, platformers, are becoming rare in modern times and most of the retro games I play are just stimulants I could play for a while, feel satsified and then move on to something else until next time, instead of modern games where most requires full hours of attention and immersion through cutscenes or having you explore before getting to the main gameplay. Not saying I don't play them every once in a while, but I just like games that are quick to get into the game not for story but just for a similar experience like playing a puzzle or something. Oh and retro games had better more memorable music.

Weirds me out if they were not at least in their teens at the time, or a newer gamer with an interest in "catching up". Something about kids having not only gen. 4/5 consoles and every game they wanted, but some of the shitty official merch too just kind of blows my mind. Who buys their children all that garbage? Something I'd expect today, as digital crack is cheaper now, but then?

hehehe. I actually kinda like it. Sure, some vinyls are harder to find nowadays or are much more expencive, but I traded so much shit. Especially that I like my music (metal) sing not in english. I traded with people all over the world.

Just stupid people who falls for a con of buying products to gain an identity and sense of belonging to a specific group.

Just really dumb, easy to fool people who's never going to be cool, because how could they if they are so easy to fool their money off of?

And let's not get started on hipsters. As a eurofag, these fuckers has ruined football/soccer aswell. These fucking burger-hipsters come into discussions, talking like they fucking know anything about the damn sport, most of us have been playing and followed since we could walk. And then they bring up morrocan leagues, Korean soccer leagues, like it fucking matters, hipster go away nobody cares about what the asians do in soccer, it's like women's soccer, a completely different sport.

And let's not get started on every other sport. You see these fuckers talking like they are managers of the teams. With analytics of cap-room and shit, oh and some special stats that is somehow the only stat to evaluate how useful a player is, because they said so in a movie and this applies to every single team-sport of course!

Hipsters not only ruins everything. They seem to multiply aswell, or just gets a lot of different hobbies to screw up.