Today I discovered Submarines and they are the greatest thing to come about from this whole human existence thing...

Today I discovered Submarines and they are the greatest thing to come about from this whole human existence thing. Now I need subs in my video games to supplement my intake from other media and literature. There has to be long time silent service enthusiasts with recommendations and experiences to share. Silent Hunter III tales? Hmmm? I've yet to play it and would love to hear any fond memories from old skippers.

And does anybody know which BF or CoD campaigns featured underwater missions/deployments? I know there were some but I can't remember which since they all kind of bleed together in my memory, and if they had any submarines in them. Don't judge me. You have know idea what casual depths I'll sink to in pursuit of these beauties–or any depictions of naval superiority for that matter.

So can we have a Submarines of Video Games thread? All submarine games and games featuring submarines welcome. Share your enthusiasm here.

Other urls found in this thread:

hoi3wiki.com/Navy#Submarine_.28SS.29
youtu.be/FF8Ix-IoMjg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

remove yourself from this board,you are clearly too young to be using it.

Its mediocre

?????????

Did your parents finally let you out of your cage?

Oh course I was aware of subs since I patrolled my mothers waters as a semen, but I only began to appreciate them today. Please dn't turn me away, I got no where else to go.

Hearts of Iron 3 depicts submarines well.

i'm a plane fag but i heard some talk abut sub sims: dangerous waters and silent hunter(old ones?)
those may be a bit 2autistic4u.

Hey, cool. It may be mediocre, but it seems perfect for playing while taking a break from more hardcore simulations. Thanks.

I appreciate your post. That's the sort of game I wouldn't immediately consider in my search and any list from google would not feature. Thanks.

I've always been aware of SH {III in particular} but I've never played it. I've been looking at it and Silent Hunter 5 today. Apparently III is the best and everything else is down hill. But 5 seems to have this first person mode while navigating that I think would be very immersive.

I came across Dangerous Waters today and I liked the look of it but I had never heard any talk about it before. It's encouraging to hear it's been discussed at least. At the moment I'm trying to research/decide which of those three to get. I can learn to be autistic

hoi3wiki.com/Navy#Submarine_.28SS.29
You can learn more at the gsg thread.

There are barely any wortwhile train vidya, i know your pain user.

There's that subnautica game

neat underwater exploration

How fucking new are you faggots?

Y'all motherfucker need to play that shit
R8 my submarine

I don't know what you guys are expecting.

>>>/k/

honestly pissed that most missions didn't allow subs in that game, on top of most of the crazy shit not being compatible with them. Or at least a submersible carrier.

nice sub

I always wanted to make my own cruise liner in a submarine. Some old soviet or some shit nuke sub what's got the missiles taken out for a ton of space you can use for all sorts of shit.
Admittedly, I kind of stole the idea from that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen sub.
Problem is, since I am competing with things like aircraft and proper ships, I think I'd do rather poorly. Especially since repeat customers will realize that the lot is frankly horribly boring after their first run.

Personally, I sleep fully clothed with whatever I was wearing the day before. Some say that's gross.
I can't sleep outside of the lot, though. Even pajama type pants make me uncomfortable.
Sometimes if it is cold, I'll even grab a coat. Not that my blankets aren't good enough, of course, just a coat is better.

Cruise/HE missiles and AGS are already pretty crazy but yeah shame you can't do a sub like pic related

Please tell me it's about a rogue nuke sub.

Silent Hunter 3 is the best since it offers an arcadey mode that anyone can pick up with only an hour or two of practice, and increasing levels of simulation-ness that you can switch on or off at will. Eventually you can and will be patrolling with limited fuel, limited oxygen, manually setting targeting solutions for your torpedoes, and identifying ships by their profiles. SH5 in my admittedly brief experience was almost all arcadey and they really pulled the punches on the sim aspect of it.

Still the best sim, even though the graphics are dated.

Haven't played SH3 in ages. Can it run in widescreen? Cause last I remember it was only 4:3

There's this game, but its still in development and pretty autism

Sounds about right.

You ought to lurk the subsim forums, there's plenty of reports there.

Definitely the best 3d naval sim.

It has such a great ambiance to it though.
Maybe I just have a weakness for that early 2000's look.

I need to seriously tackle that game, read it does some buggy things at times like have stuff floating above sea level and the like. Run into any of that?

WTF am I looking at?

It looks like someone glued two Yamato hulls and put submarine guns on top

BATTLESTATIONS PACIFIC.

You get to fly planes and drive submarines.
And ships. ALL ships. From torpedo boats to battleships.

I've been playing a lot of that. You can get some pretty sweet subs going, if you know what you are doing, and the new parti cannons are absolutely amazing.
Too bad missiles are still pretty much shit.
Adv cannon is currently the best thing you can mount. Absolutely grinds through everything. You may have to jam some EMP rounds in there, though, if you want to go through any shields.

WTF am I looking at?
A double hulled battleship with 9 100cm cannons and quite a lot of other shit.

I think you mean Underwater Terror simulator.

Conn, sonar. New contact bearing two-six-three, designated sierra 6.
CONN, SONAR. TORPEDO IN THE WATER BEARING TWO, SIX, THREE!

Seriously, though. I bought that game and had fun with it for a while. But I prefer Silent Hunter IV. I feel like Dangerous Waters lacks features, man. And I ain't the type of guy to install mods.

I remember as a kid playing the first game and never being able to work the torpedos so I ended up just surfacing and using the sub like a gunboat and taking things out with the deck gun. Spent many hours doing that, missing the entire point of why you'd have a sub game.

The Aquanox series is pretty good. In contrast to most other submarine games it's an action game, not a simulation.

You go on missions that are part of a linear plot, earn money and buy new weapons and subs. Here's some gameplay: youtu.be/FF8Ix-IoMjg

submarines are cool and all but they sound like the closest thing to hell that has ever been designed by humans.

op i recommend you read blind man's bluff

Also watch the longest version of Das Boot.

Yet the free-to-play online sequel is actually incredibly fun.

I've never seen any glitches along those lines.
You could probably make things look glitchy by doing things like classifying objects incorrectly, which could make something like a house look like an aircraft carrier, but I haven't tried.

Oh right, whoever I read that from must have really goofed.

What's different from the original?

For something different, there's Codename: Iceman an old Sierra text parser adventure game. There's a rather complicated bit on a submarine that acted as copy protect because you needed the manual to know how to pilot it.

Actually the whole game is rather complicated and kinda miserable. But it's something different.

If I remember right the boss fight version is two aircraft carriers glued together.

460mm are considered overkill, and the sheer reload, storage and accuracy issues of 100cm ones are….interesting.

RIP Aquanox
Let us only hope the remake won't be total garbage
It will ;_;

Sub Wars is infinitely better.

Looks to me like it might as well be a space fighter game or some shit, though.
Or just an air fighter game, I guess.

Part of the appeal of subs, at least to me, is the whole 'you don't know where your enemy is, gotta risk yourself by firing a torpedo where you think they're around', 'listen to the tiniest sound to find where, how close, and so on the enemy's at', and similar such nonsense.
Too bad almost no games really grab that blindness.

(not the user you responded to)
It is the original, just in the "directors cut" version. It's basically 4 hours longer and not a movie but a 6 episode miniseries. I believe it's on Netflix.

I did that as a kid too. When I figured out the how to play the game as a teenager I spent many hours doing patrols in the Atlantic, destroying Allied convoys as part of a wolf pack.

Wow this Dangerous Waters is awesome. I watched the Tutorial Videos on the 2nd Disc and one on Youtube, got myself enough know-how to come up to periscope depth and peek around, probably gave myself away. I think I burnt out a radio antenna by raising under water. Very, very cool game.

I like the look of the game, didn't think I would but I do. Are there day/night cycles/missions or variant weather? I really want to stalk prey in the moonlight.

Fucking awesome game as far as my five minutes fumbling the interface indicates. I will know more after work.

Oh shit really? Never knew that, gotta check that out

don't understand how people can play this autistic shit tbh

Gas yourself.
.0001% :^)

Battle Isle 2 featured submarines.

Don't know if BI 3 and BI - The Andosia War did, though.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert had submarines for the Soviets.

WarCraft II - Tides of Darkness featured submarines for both humans and orcs.

Not really a simulator like anything else, but there's In The Hunt, which was made by the team who would go on to make Metal Slug, and it shows through the highly detailed spritework and fluid animation.

In the hunt was a favorite when I was a kid with mame.

Barotrauma was shitposted and servered for a bit, check that out

Maybe you will Aces of the Deep by Dynamix. This was one of the most Submarines simulators out there. My brother and my dad played it all the time back then.

Subnautica has submarines and also mechs

My negros

Amored Core 2
Deus Ex
Gundam Side Story 0079 Rise From The Ashes
Gundam Journey to Jaburo

Good luck finding the sub. If you're a real gaymer then you'll find it.

I just spent a little more than a (comfy af) hour sneaking around in the first campaign mission. Don't know how to classify targets yet, sonar is still very intimidating, couldn't possibly evade incoming or even fire a torpedo. I made my way up to the inlet, peeking around, grabbing my radio transmissions and accidentally completing objectives (auto crew). Nearly got into the bay but I came to a point where I only 13 feet beneath the keel and rising any at all would have exposed my sail. Didn't know what else I needed to do or how to scout the bases. Figured I just save and resume mission after I watched more tutorials.

Will do. I did already dl it, but I got a 03:19:40 version. I thought that WAS the long version. Thanks for heads up.

One of the first things I did was look up Best Submarine Nonfiction lists. I do remember seeing Blind Man's Bluff. I'm very happy to have a recommendation. I'll seek it out first. Thanks.

I found her.

Battlestations Pacific has several submarine missions.

I love the one where you have to drive the japanese mini-sub and inflitrate the harbor.

WHAT