What was going on?

What was going on?

The death

Spirit was ok
Treasure Planet was forgettable despite an interesting setting
I though Atlantis was still bretty gud after a recent rewatch
Titan AE I've never seen.
What is this thread even about?

Looks like really good/cult classic but underperforming animated films.
I also never saw Titan AE, but now its been brought up…

Treasure Planet had nice visuals and a neat setting, but the story wasn't that great and the robot character was the most annoying thing in the movie.

Some people tried to do something a bit different, but stuff behind the scenes cocked things up.

You know.

I remember watching titan ae on tv, I didn't know what it was called and didn't remember much about it other than the ending, I saw the poster online one day and looked it up, at it turned out to be the same movie as the one I saw, or at least I think it is.
A similar thing happened with the other movies in OP, except I actually remembered their names. Interesting.

This generation of movies strike me as the declaration of war and swan song by 2d traditional animation towards 3d computer animation. The priority in these was to push the limits of what 2d alone could do aesthetically, including that which required computer assistance but ultimately worked to support and appear 2d. Prioritizing visual beauty over something that sticks was defeated by the novelty of 3d that would around that time find its footing. Turns out nobody likes artsy fartsy wankfests.

Holla Forums rapefugee on the loose. Let's engage in legitimate discussion to spite him. Which movie do you think had the most interesting setting and why?

More like normalfags have zero taste and will gulp down any slop as long as others tell 'em they're good.

The robot character was awful, but I thought the story was pretty good but then, it hit pretty close to home with me and I related with the main character a lot.

I think Treasure planet and all you listed suffered from early 2000s ism animation. I don't know how to fully describe it but I think they just manage to be blander than they really are which is really surprising.
Treasure planet especially had a KICKASS setting, but…I just can't help but not feel as excited for it.

I think its something about the animation Style that's cold, and lacks the personality that 2D does way better than 3D. Its exquisite, refined, but just…cold and sterile. I feel like in the chase to show 3D "We can be serious too!" it lost everything.
I think in summary Music Videos are not a substitute for Musical scenes.

Forgettable worthless trash.
Vague as hell, but the overall tone was really beautiful actually.
Treasure Island in space had a lot of appeal to me, but to me they just didn't flesh it out properly.
There we fucking go, that should have set the standard for animated films in the early 2000s… sadly it didn't though.

Like other Anons pointed out these films had pressure to compete with 3D animation and show what they had to offer in the new millenia.

the funny thing is Atlantis just straight up jacked the plot of Stargate but made the military characters evil.

I still liked it quite a lot but it's nowhere near as original as I thought.

I can almost see where you're coming from, but could you elaborate user?

Watch them back to back.
The only difference is that in Atlantis they get to their destination by water and instead of having an Alien be the bad guy it's the military man. Also, another fun thing, look at the logo for Atalantis and the logo for Stargate.

again, not that I mind. I still like both films.

I will do that user, but I just want to point out they didn't have Kurt Russel smuggle a nuke into Atlantis.

True, they did both have ulterior motives that would bring about the destruction of the places they went though.

Okay, that makes sense.

Honestly I saw the atrocious initial D stage 1 tier CGI in a full budget Disney movie and thought it had to be intentional sabotage. Hand drawn is expensive so if you fuck up your hand drawn films on purpose you can switch to the much cheaper full CG without shareholders fussing over it. Ether way I am glad that the movie did not do well for thinking that shit looked ok.

God, thinking about what could've been really upsets me.

Some Atlantis concept art.

Thank fucking goodness it didn't, the worst of the bunch

God that is beautiful. I like how with the art for Atlantis it seems to be a combination of all these different cultures implying that all our modern cutlures descended from them.

some of It looks like it was done by mignola

If you were wondering why Atlantis feels different from regular Disney films, that's the reason: Mike Mignola.

Totally agree, the film doesn't really have a direction and the plot is a bunch of things that "just happened." That being said it's a great film and the characters are pretty good in spite of (or maybe due to) how shallow they are.

QUITTE-NOUS

Pretty original movies that one by one nailed the coffin of theatrical 2D animation.

It's a real shame the movie goes to shit after they get to Atlantis.

Funny story: When Disney called Mike Mignola to work on Atlantis, the first thing Mignola said was "How did you get this number?"

Treasure Planet was a nice movie visually. The story was okay. Spirit was nice. Atlantis was the shit though at the second half of the film (upon discovering Atlantis), the story became predictable. Any anons like to recommend other animated movies of this sort? It is hard to find diamonds like these.

I think it was. I remember reading he did the concept art.

I've only ever watched Atlantis out of these, and that was even just a few weeks ago for the first time. It was alright. I expected a bit more out of it. I liked most of the characters for the most part. The mole dude annoyed me, and the ending was pretty disappointing. This dude who had all these resources didn't know that the mercs were corrupt, and then they just whip up something to explain everything away? Eh. I did like the idea of the mercs turning on each other during the battle scene. Lots of parallels between it and Up.

I found it funny that Milo (MC) instantly flipped his shit at the idea that Atlantis tech will be used solely for weapons manufacturing. Then again, I have a soft spot for idealist characters.

Spirit was shit. It was just another white guilt movie.

Ben Edlund, from The Tick and Supernatural, co-wrote Titan AE.
"Planet Bob" was classic Edlund humour. I really miss his personal touch, it's just lost when he collaborates, but Bob was unmistakably the work of the same man who wrote "CHA" on the moon with a giant laser cannon.

The running gags with the Moon on The Tick were top notch.
So yeah he wanted to write his name on the moon, and get this he had a chair for a head!

Eh if they were going for that, I don't think they would have had the Colonel order his men to stand down after Spirit jumped the gorge.
Pretty sure that the movie was just supposed to be about a wild horse that wouldn't be tamed.

And you hate feeling guilty right, Murrican scum?

I loved atlantis movie and the game.
Aside from maybe being a commercial flop, i don't understand the unending hateboner some people have for that movie.

they were at a loss at the box office

I hope you realize that you bitching incessantly about Holla Forums pretty much guarantees others will dismiss you as a retarded faggot that believes in boogeymen.

That octopus character could've been cool as shit

I have never seen anyone outright hate on Atlantis.
I know some people don't like it, but I have yet to see anyone sperg about it.

Spoiler your puns, Carlos.

Really it's indifference. We notice it too well and mention it too much that one might take it as outright hate when in reality we who noticed it thought it was nice/had potential.

To be honest I've never seen it brought up outside of imageboards, and even then I never got a hateful vibe from any of the conversations.
Then again I don't really browse other kinds of sites all that much so maybe I missed a bunch of fags that really shit their pants about it.

The joke would work better with 4 characters.

You called?