Wildstar had 1234 new accounts made in the last quarter, the lowest ever

Is this the worst mmo blunder in history?

Other urls found in this thread:

gfycat.com/HalfFlusteredKilldeer
gfycat.com/OnlyFlatKoi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

that would be SWTOR or Tabula Rasa, Wild Star was a blunder in understanding Market demographics, the game itself wasn't too bad compared to other games out around the time.

Swtor is a massively profitable release with multiple expansions under its belt.

I dont care for it since its another wow clone but even the tortanic was never this bad off.

RIP in peace

Tabula Rasa and APB are the only two bigger fuckups I can think of.

that was only after the F2P re-release

It hurts a little to even think about how this game failed. All I wanted was for this game to be the Rachet and Clank looking mmo that all the trailers got me hype for

and wildstars f2p transition has seen even more losses. its ogre.

I remember watching the trailers and playing the beta. Put simply, the trailers were too elaborate for an ultimately pedestrian product, and selling it as a subscribe-based game killed the remaining chances it had.

yeah you're right, at least SWTOR is still alive.

Where did all the hardcore WoW raiders go since WoW apparently got casualized btw?

I think most have just quit at this point beyond the few that may cling to private servers

Single player games.

Didn't you know, the mmorpg bubble burst this year? We have had at least one mmo shutdown a week since november without cease. WoW is a shitshow thats pushing fan service as life support, everything outside korea is dead bar swtor and FFXIV that both have massive ips supporting them.
Mmorpgs are dead. The raiders all quit to play dark souls or destiny or some shit.

this year? MMOs died for me in 2004.
I kept playing UO till about 2004 and RO till about 2012.

I played WoW on a casual level during TBC coz of IRL friends as a "b game". (still made merciless glad and completed sunwell in TBC)

Like what? I haven't paid close attention to WoW

which ones?

yeah feels that way.

What I don't get with MMOs - Why do they never just get closed down when it has become apparent that they failed? They always just wither away, dying a slow painful death. Is it really profitable to let them run, server costs and all, instead of axing them outright?

the entire new wow expansion is "uhhh, wait, okay. the burning legion shows up. and illidan. and you all get ashbringers. and its got the emerald dream. and all this other shit you dumb goys will pay for. look at these demon hunters, a 2 button rotation with a talent to make it one button. FUCKING GIVE US MONEY AGAIN YOU FUCKING GOYIM" and it reeks of last chance desperation.

What happened to Tabula Rasa? I remember looking at it a few years ago and thinking it sounded cool

They grew up.

No, really. I'm not trying to patronize anyone, but The Burning Crusade was 9 years ago. All those people you played with? They all need to eat and make their own money now.

The old guard retired, and nowadays kids don't want to play MMOs

Lord British quit then went to space (literally) and the game fell apart.

Sounds terrible

Nah they didn't grow up, they all still have active WoW subs, attend "gamer" bar hangouts, go to conventions and speak like reddit IRL.

I never liked WoW to begin with since I was accustomed to UO, played coz of peer pressure only. After TBC i quit and played fighting games with my local/interstate FGC.

Oh yeah Legions looking like a massive shitshow. They are pushing it into beta days after telling everyone "calm down your complaints dont matter since these choices arent set in stone" and it comes out in under 4 months.

Its going to be a fun time to watch the coming collapse.

about 90% of the big name guilds are over, as are most of the big famous WoW e-celeb faggots. Even arenajunkies jumped ship some expansions ago, and those guys had junkies on their name.

Isnt ASSFAGGOTS the successor to MMORPGs nowadays? Or F2P shooters?

I played Wildstar a bit and I liked it a okay. Back in the day I was one of the ones who was dragged kicking and screaming away from a decent WoW.

The combat was very well designed and I was legitimately excited to get into raiding. The community also seemed fine, I always seemed to be near 3-4 other players even in the low level ~20% completion zones. Maybe the game is empty but at least they fucking know how to condense their servers so it looks full (unlike literally every other MMO ever).

However, the game was just so painfully tongue-in-cheek I couldn't take it seriously. It didn't feel at all like an immersive universe, but rather a halfassed amalgamation of 4th wall breaks and dick jokes. This is what killed it for me, it just killed all my inspiration to continue playing.

You can't tout yourself as the "hardcore PvE MMO" and then not take anything seriously.

I'd still consider it one of the best MMO's on the market now, by virture of the fact that it isn't "ultra HD PvP" or "baby's first fantasy world". Which is pretty sad.

A TON of people were turned off to them pandering to SJWs. They didn't just shoot themselves in the foot, they blew the whole damn thing off. Serves them right, they're dead to me, I have zero interest in any game they do in the future (if they don't shut down completely).

The only reason why I'm glad they haven't all been laid off is because I get to watch them suffer some more.

Sucks to be you poorfag.

i almost forgot about that, those faggots at massively were praising em for doing that too.

Funny how wildstars shit is so memorable because it was so minimally supported.

Every site i visited had "lethality" and "ministabber" defending it with a rabid zeal for a solid year.

so glad I picked Dominion. man his bottom tagline quote thingy is so cringe inducing.

survival games are the new mmos

What happened?

I wish companies would release the software that's needed to host private servers for the mmos they're shutting down.

The vast majority of MMO cost comes from making content- once the actual game is out and running, it's nothing more than a busy database server. Costs are minimal, which is why every single game company on the planet tried to become the next WoW, it printed money.

i really liked the cartoony design..and the house making gimmick

but i guess that was it

That's totally a real number

I just remember when they scaled down the boobs and the community manager was a complete cunt and then I decided to have nothing to do with the game, used to have some images of the forum at the time but maybe someone else has them.

i also heard Funcom Secret World might be dying this year

they did a 20% sale of lifetime subs before they discontinued them in feb sometime and then increased the regular sub rewards.

some investor also gave em a bunch of money.

they are making a conan themed game

not sure exactly how to interpret all those events but i think they'll be fine.

Tortanic failed to turn a profit until long after it went F2P, but even that is still technically alive. Whatever happened to the Elder Scrolls MMO?

its doing well with regular content as dlc (in terms of making money) not sure how good the game actually is though.

I think the Elder Scrolls Online is still alive, maybe…

I know a guy who still plays it.

FFXIV is still doing really well.

Honestly, I went with Dominion because of the Chua, the one race that didn't get any attention despite being on the fucking box cover. Exiles were pretty douchey too.

It's still alive? Pity because it looked like they learned from their mistakes…I guess.

I wouldn't trust them with the Conan franchise after what happened with Age of Conan.

ESO is still alive after a rework, but if you hated the original version let alone Elder Scrolls, you won't like the game.

This. New content patches are keeping players interested, and crafting is a lot of fun when you get into it.

There are MMO that never even saw the light of day.
The World of Darkness MMO is a fun sordid tale of complete incompetency.
Everquest Next was recently canned and that one hurt me a little because it gave me hope.
That game was in development hell.

I am going to give Wildstar a shot if and when that Steam store page has a download.
I was all over Guild Wars 2.
All the stress-tests and betas.
As far as I'm concerned that game only existed from release on August 28, 2012 all the way until November 16th, 2012.
Everything after that date is an abomination from both a gameplay and story perspective.
They realized they can't respect the intelligence of a player and expect them to keep playing a time sink that isn't manipulating them.
They then converted the game into garbage in a very big way.

Then they went full on SJW.

I just wanted to make waifu's and have fun and they stopped me from being able to do either.
I hate that they removed the ability to take screens this grotesquely large after the game came out.

All I remember was that the Char starter zone sucked a lot of dick 4 years ago, and it made me quit the game. Actually, all of the starter zones on release were horrible.

GW2 was never good, bro. Won't lie: Plant Lady seemed like a cool boss when I read newsletters.

yeah GW2 in the beta before launch was great, then they made the game easier in general and locked certain skills into tiers for "progression" and listened to all the WoW babbies that wanted to turn GW2 in to another WoW clone.

FFXIV 2.0 and onward has done just about everything right, while following the more traditional MMO model. Everything is just better than other MMOs I've played, which is almost every MMO that has come out since 2000.

which ones? Artemis Zinn?

wow, how? i reached endgame just couple of months ago, Drusera felt a little "Crawling in my skin" at times but never heard about the world eating dragons

Is that an MIB reference?

I don't have a problem with the armor changes. The forced lesbian shit can fuck off though.

Am I the only one that feels like the death of MMOs came when they tried to grind the social aspect of it into dust?

If I had to pinpoint one thing that absolutely fucked MMOs for me it was cross-server duty finders.

Till those existed, you had to know what the fuck you were doing or be put on a shit list by the entire server, you stopped and went "Hey, wanna do some shit with us?" when you met a good player and built friendships. Guilds were needed, and were a hub of social interaction.

Now.. who gives a fuck if you half-ass a dungeon or raid? You'll never see those people again. Find someone there you like? Too fucking bad they're on a shitstain server and you'll never see them again.

You end up being able to do the content, but have no way of forming anything fucking substantial in the game anymore.

Guilds still mostly play together. They use the duty finder to supplement any missing roles or whatever.

But I get what you're saying.

FF14 requires you to have some social skills if you want to go beyond level 10. It's not perfect, but better than WoW and it's Facebook shite.

I had FFXIV in mind when I wrote

at least it produced one good thing

gfycat.com/HalfFlusteredKilldeer
gfycat.com/OnlyFlatKoi

Linkshells help to make a wider network of people to play with on servers as well. So you can form social groups for specific purposes, like hunting or savage difficulty raids.

Linkshells are more or less just private chat rooms. But you can have up to 8 of them.

I'm aware. I just write 14 instead of XIV sometimes.

True.

That looks painful more than erotic. How do those robot physics even work?

I believe it was an inability to address inter-dependability. Rather than designing the game to minimize the faults of having to rely on other players to do certain things almost all MMO's have simply opted to make it so you can do anything at any time.

You can see this through a huge number of trends. Making groups be done automatically with a que over multiple servers. Scaling of people up or down for certain challenges. An exchange that's literally just an auction house. 'Sub Jobs' being less and less impact to the point of being meaningless. The homoginization of classes and attempt to remove the needs for 'tank' and 'healers' from encounters.

It all stems from a simple problem. When you play an MMO, you have to deal with other people. Which is obvious, but developers are trying their damnedest to engineer that aspect out of the game rather than adjusting the game to be more enjoyable with it in.

Lets do a small Game A and Game B comparison to make this a little more clear:

Game A will be one trying to hide or remove interdependence from its system where Game B will be one trying to adjust for it.

Game A has doesn't want people to feel they cant do anything without others help so a great deal of development time is put into making sure the power of a characters is carefully controlled with no ability to specialize.

Game B has specializations that render some people worthless in certain situations. So they spend development time on a wide variety of content that gives different types of rewards that play off each other. (IE: Spider Hunter constantly gets poison mats that are worthless to him against what he normally fights, but gives him a leg up against other shit, or at least lets him make a quick buck)

Game A has an anemic crafting system because everyone and their mom are able to do it with minimal investment. At best there will be an item or two that can pick up the slack before getting a coveted rare drop.

Game B has a robust and customization crafting system that requires investment and loss of power. They spend time designing ways in game for the player to continue playing with these restrictions and minimize the damage done by to few people buying goods or certain high level players flooding the market.

Game A has support that only ever affect the HP total of others and can level solo with ease

Game B has support that heal HP, CC, slow the enemy, increase miss chance, reduce incoming damage, increase group damage or any combination, each type being a different 'class' god damn it I miss City of Heroes

See, Game A is trying to NEGATE interdependence and Game B is attempting to smooth over the worst parts of it.

The Scholar healing job in FFXIV does almost exactly what you describe at the end in Game B. I usually constantly interweave attacks, buffs, and debuffs, while healing as my primary role. Despite contributing a non-negligible amount of dps, the job is first and foremost a healer. It's pretty fun.

Sounds like a red-mage in Xl. Though I would wager that having it all in once class would best result in multiple copies of the class resulting in less work or greater coverage for others. Such as uptime on certain buffs going from 50% to 100% or one being able to exclusively buff and the other exclusively debuff, resulting in longer staying power for both. Even better if both can empower different abilities.

I just… miss feeling weak to certain things and laughing at others. I'm not exactly social in MMO's to begin with. You have to seriously work to get me into a raid. I am the 'solo player' that MMO's seem to be trying to cater to, but everything they're doing I absolutely hate.

Like, don't make it effortless for me to do everything. Make me do one thing super well that I can get by just fine in doing. Then give me a reason to go out and interact with others. I mean, there has to be SOME middle ground between player co-opting trade chat to find groups by text and a button that instantly does all the work for you.

Duty finders and their role in vertical progression really killed MMOs. The beauty of the genre pre-WoW was the struggle to even leave a town.

Restricted travel and movement of goods was also nice. For example, the old days of XI had auction houses separated by nation. Running between nations was a pretty big venture. Let's say you need Gysahl Greens to train a chocobo. You get those in Bastok, but your quest is in Jeuno. The auction house in Jeuno is out. You can either spend a few sessions hunting for those items or work with your linkshell to search an auction house if they're near one or have a kind soul farm them for you. Either way, you bond with the world and your linkshell. You also feel a sense of scale and gravity to your quest reward.

This was nice. There are still people who fail to realize they were on that list all those years ago when they were unable to find a party.

Scholars aren't a jack-of-all-trades by any means. They just do a lot more than just stand there and spam Cure. But they are healers in the trinity of traditional MMO roles.

i made a cute Aurinette and now i feel bad knowing she will die probably before december, i won't see her again

Ah, cool.

does wildstar has an artbook? i need it for the qts robots and bunnies

Don't let him lie to you. FF14 is, without a doubt, a modern-day MMO. Every class follows the turbocasualized template of doing everything all at once. Everything he said the Scholar's do amounts to 1, maybe 2, buffs. 1 or 2 debuffs, and then just regular old healing. Complete with dogshit DPS on the side, if you feel like it.

The good old days of oldschool style support classes, with a 8+ spell-list rotation of buffs and/or debuffs with wildly different effects is simply gone. Isn't it sad?

Also, your first post was excellent and hit the nail on the head. As much as people used to whine and complain about the 2 hour group finding for 20 minutes of grinding, it's those very same sorts of things that made the genre worthwhile.

What a whiner. You're downplaying Scholar a lot with that. I typically have all of the mobs getting hit by 4 or 5 DoTs at once. But the buffs are self-buff and haste buff for the party.

You're totally wrong about the 8+ spell-list thing. The rotation is dynamic, but I use a shitload of different spells. Basic rotation while healing and dpsing is about 9 or 10 spells.

It really is sad when you look at XI's SCH too. That was an absolute blast in Campaign.

And what on earth do you mean by this? Every job has an absolutely clear cut role of tanking, healing, or dpsing. Some have some variability, like scholar. Some are almost 100% focused on their main role, like paladin tanks.

Sonny, please. You have no idea what me or the other guy are referring to when we talk about support classes.

Your frame of reference has been completely ruined by shitty new-age MMO's.

And here's the proof of it. Even discounting the obvious exaggerations (nigga I've played FF14 you can't lie to me), but you see nothing wrong with a statement like this. It's very telling.

Can't say I miss 'rotations' but I do miss having 8 spells that were better suited for certain situations. Of course 'damage stream' bosses are another problem with current design. Why have a healer cast eighty heals over the course of a fight rather than two meaningful ones?

It's a baby and bathwater situation. There are things they could have done to make things easier on players that didn't involve removing it.

I didn't exaggerate a bit. If anything I'm being lenient. There's another 7 or 8 spells that are more situational (emergency healing mostly), but they're still used frequently. The actual number is probably even higher.

Are you talking about pure support like bards in EQ1? I enjoyed that class, but it was truly a jack-of-all-trades and master of none.

APB was glorious.

Well you killed the plant woman at least, the big bad Moldremorth now.

Also NC Softs Q1 2016 report is out.

Guild Wars 2: 30.557b KRW ~= 25.966m USD, or just over 8 million bucks a month

Wildstar: 1.282b KRW ~= 1.087m USD

Worst blunder? Nah. As other anons have said, that goes to TOR. A Star Wars MMO should literally vomit money and be nigh impossible to fuck up. Except when you put it in EA's hands.

I preordered Wildstar and had a lot of fun in the beta. It's a goddamn shame what happened to it as it had some of the best animations I've ever seen in a MMO and the music and saturday morning space cartoon feel were top shelf.

But really, what the fuck were they thinking in catering to a sub 5% demographic with the 'hardcore raid' shit?

Also

Source?

Disgusting.

I'm surprised it made that much, the expansion really hurt their numbers for awhile.

Not specifically bards, but classes along the general lines of that. Things like Shamans, Enchanters, Druids, etc etc in EQ1. Classes that have a highly specialized, unique, and rewarding role but suck shit at just about everything else.

Things like that encourage social play, since you can't just do everything you want whenever you want.

Also, bards were the shit. Selo's all day for go fast.

I never understood the rampant hate GW2 gets. When it launched, it was completely B2P and was a super solid leveling experience where you could get 40+ hours easy for the cost of the box. Great art direction and good music too.

The SJW shit happened later and wasn't always a problem.

End game sucked shit and continues to suck shit, though.

Yea I never got it either, I have 1,895 hours on GW2 and have enjoyed it, most players agree the writing sucks shit and don't even like the lesbos, hell it was the perfect game to me after WoW, still is, its very relaxing and I have no commitment to it since there's no sub.

I do agree with the GW1 vets that the skill system was simplified to much, GW1 had so many skills to use and builds to make.

I used to get my bard stuck in all kinds of weird places by climbing a super high mountain and using selo's song of travel for run speed/levitate/invis all at once. I got a lot of players to go holy shit when I had them follow me on auto-follow flying 2/3 of the way across entire zones. That was one of the many neat things about bards.

I think the main roles I did were pulling and elemental resistance songs. But also some mezzing and snaring at times.

But damn, this was like 14 years ago. I loved the shit out of EQ1.