I'm playing on my old PS3 fat (the one that was six hundred dollars upon release) because my computer died and I've...

I'm playing on my old PS3 fat (the one that was six hundred dollars upon release) because my computer died and I've noticed that whenever there's particle effects, even on upscaled PS2 game compilations like the Sly Cooper collection, my framerate drops to about a third of what it was. Is this a problem only old PS3s have or is it like this with the slim too?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Play-PSone-and-PlayStation-2-Games-on-a-PlayStation-3
se7ensins.com/forums/threads/tutorial-how-to-play-ps2-games-on-all-ps3-slim-models.1159103/
psndl.net/
archive.is/MHMS1
mediafire.com/download/fzu27acs778ggj8/psnstuff.zip
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nobody here has a fucking PS3 slim? Just tell me how it handles particle effects.

I don't think Slims can even play PS1/PS2 games that aren't on PSN, and I would imagine they'd be equally crippled by heavy particle/smoke effects.

I've heard slims can play PS2 games but not PS1 games.

Nevermind, just looked it up and you're right, what a bunch of bullshit. The guy that sells them lied to me. Thank God I came here first.

Here you go.

support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Play-PSone-and-PlayStation-2-Games-on-a-PlayStation-3

According to that, it doesn't look like any Slims can play PS2 games from the disk, only from PSN, and since the basic hardware is the same (minus the PS2 chip in the fats), PSN downloaded PS2 games should have identical performance between the models.

Sorry to hear it, user.

All PS3s can play PS1 discs, and they are all emulated.

Launch fat PS3s have full hardware compatibility with PS2 games, as they have the actual PS2 CPU+GPU+RAM chips onboard. This is why they cost FIVE NINETY NINE US DOLLAHS on launch. Fun fact: each launch PS3 cost Sony 800 USD to make. They lost 200 USD on every console sold.

To cut costs, the later fats removed just the PS2 CPU/RAM, and this was emulated, resulting in inferior compatibility.

The slims removed all PS2 hardware completely, and have no PS2 support.

…except, that ain't entirely true. Sony couldn't develop a perfect PS2 emulator like they planned, as the PS3 wasn't powerful enough. They only managed partial compatibility. The games they did get working are for sale on the PSN and run on all PS3s.

Another fun fact: the PS3 also has a fully working PSP emulator built into the firmware since 2010, but they only use it to run Minis.

Either American dollar was weak at the time of the PS3 release or my country's economy went to shit because the $600 USD ps3 and the $400 PS4 both had the same price at launch in stores

If it's version 3.5 or below you can install CFW and play PS2 disks/isos on just about any PS3. I think slims are more popular for this. All PS3s can play PS1 discs regardless of CFW.

se7ensins.com/forums/threads/tutorial-how-to-play-ps2-games-on-all-ps3-slim-models.1159103/

I'm not smart enough not to fuck up a CFW, plus there's modern games I would like to play like Trails of Cold Steel 2 and its like.

Does that mean if I have the disk for that game I can play it without downloading it?

No, you'd have to rebuy the game.

There are also a lot fully working PS2 games than Sony offers, and if you can put up with minor glitches, a great majority of PS2 games can be played.

Fuck that.

I've CFW and I can play all new games fine and dandy.
The biggest issue is that only old firmware can be CFW'd.

Don't new games force you to update?

You update the game, not the firmware.

Don't you mean
599 US DOLLARS 599 US DOLLARS 599 US DOLLARS 599 US DOLLARS 599 US DOLLARS 599 US DOLLARS 599 US DOLLARS 599 US DOLLARS 599 US DOLLARS 599 US DOLLARS 599 US DOLLARS
ITS RIDGE RACER
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER
Genju 2 is an action game based on real hapanese historic battles
So here's this giant enemy crab
You attack its weak spot for massive damage

New games force me to update my firmware or they won't let me play.

Do you have to have a PSN account linked to update them? I'd like to have a PS3 with CFW, but I don't want to risk getting banned, since I own a bunch of Vita games and stuff. Just wondering if you need a throwaway account.

They put the firmware on the disk? They must since some people don't have the internet right?

Yes, they put the firmware on the disc.

Well I've played games released in 2016(Odin Sphere Leftransir) and the custom launcher just pathced the game for me.

No you don't.

Ahh figures, too bad most games don't use enough room that things like that piss off devs and they would stop with that shit. I'm guessing Sony would be too scared to make you have an internet connection after what happened to Microsoft. Do Microsoft and Nintendo do that shit too? I think I heard 3DS games have it, but I've never played one that said anything.

Nice, thanks.

CECHE01 model user here - I was playing Malicious and getting god awful frame stuttering to the point of unplayability.

Then I read a post somewhere about forcing the PS3 into 720p mode. So, I went into the system settings and sure enough, I picked up at least 10 fps in Malicious and Demon's Souls ran much better for me, too (mostly whenever there were a lot of particles or destructive elements). It's weird that letting the PS3 choose the optimal resolution allows it to output at a higher capacity than it can run well.

It was sad not using my HDTV to its full capacity, but at least I could get a stable frame rate to enjoy my games. Hopefully this helps you with your fatty.

Just one think, don't play online without the proper plugins alright?
I made this mistake and got my console banned from online forever 3 weeks after CFW'ing it, and unbanning takes quite some work so I never bothered.

Thanks bro. I played Arkham Asylum in 720p and didn't notice a difference in framerate but maybe I'll try it again.

Still goy my FAT 60gb PS3 that can run PS1 and PS2 games. Haven't played it in years so don't know what version it is.

You should, if possible, CFW it's shit up mang, it's really worth it.

I probably should but not sure how often I would get around to using it.

Yeah, I'd be too worried to try that. They banned your account too, didn't they? I just own like probably 50 games I've bought through sales and stuff, so losing all of it would really suck.

Yep, they ban you from going online at all without a plugin.
If you've spent that much money on it I'd say not bother unless you're EXTREMELY cautious and never go online at all while playing pirated games.
As in, plugging off your router every time you play a pirated game.

I have a PS3 slim with CFW and I have yer to see a major framedrop.
Maybe it's because I'm not a faggot and I don't notice those a lot, but I've been playing Kingdom Hearts and others compilations such as Tomb Rider Trilogy, and everything's pretty smooth, in fact, KH goes at 60fps, I think.

You can play both if your PS is CFW, althought the Slim can run PS2 nor PS1 natively, only if they released in PSN, and even then, you can just inject games to play.

You just install the CFW as if it was an actualization, just turn off your internet and check your version. Don't be a faggot, a PS3 without CFW is just a giant door holder.

I'm actually too dumb and afraid to play online with SEN enabler.
I have to create a PSN account first, and that terrifies me to begging with.
Although unbanning is not that hard now, you just need to download some stuff with the SEN enabler-

I'm with the others, you should get CFW. It's not terribly hard to get going, just follow some tutorial on youtube. I just recently installed it on my Slim and have been having fun with games I otherwise wouldn't have tried out like Lollipop Chainsaw and the Vesperia fan translation.

What are some good sites besides PS3 iso for getting games for CFW? There are some games I either can't find or the links no longer work, and some games cost too much to just buy.

Haven't seen that meme in so long, good times

try PSNStuff

They ban you if you play certain games online without plugin, like GT6 or CoD

I bought a 80 gb model at lunch, used the USB jailbreak but waited for the 20 $ knock off version, installed CFW when Kmeaw 3.55 came out, had to study for last year med school so I gave it to a friend, its still running 6 hours a day and I still play with him occasionally

I remember when you had to route your traffic thought a server on a pc just to access PSN with CFW

Thanks, I'm liking the looks of this.

PSNstuff is kind of outdated.
Try psndl.net/
Only for PSN stuff, tho, including DLC.

maybe your GPU is coming unhinged, these consoles have big problem with the soldering and yours is quite old now.

I had similar problem with launch 360, where most of the graphics kept turning red.

Do you need to be on a specific firmware for this? I installed like 50 updates last christmas for my family so they could watch Netflix on it.

You're probably fucked. To install CFW you need OFW to be 3.55.
If you went pass that, which more likely you did you'd need to flash your PS3 to downgrade it, but not all consoles can be flashed.
Look into this thread: archive.is/MHMS1

PSNstuff is now PSNstuffX.
PSNstuffX has twice as many entries as psndl.

Fuck off reddit.

I just recently modded my PS3 and found out about these two programs. How does one install the pkgs to the PS3 though? I've tried to install them as a regular package but it says I need to buy a subscription or some shit like that, I'm guessing I'm missing some step?

You will need reActPSN and the rap file for the game.

- Put the rap file in an folder named exdata on an USB Stick. C00 games are demos that can be activated to full games. They have a bug that makes it possible to activate them without a rap file.
- Create an user on you PS3 named aa.
- Switch back to the user you want to activate the content for (NOT aa).
- Run reActPSN and wait until you console has rebooted.

Now your games should be activated. The aa account will be renamed with some info about how many games are activated. Next time you want to run reActPSN rename the account to aa again.

As an alternative, use PSNpatch or something like that. Faster and more useful than reactPSN, but you still need it if you don't have a PSN account.

Where the hell do you get PSNstuffX from?

mediafire.com/download/fzu27acs778ggj8/psnstuff.zip

you can also try going to gamestop, finding some games used or new, returning them within a few days after you rip them to your PS3. No charge.

I need to stop being a lazy nigger and do that PSNPatch stuff. I've been wanting to play some online for a bit but haven't jumped in quite yet.

I fucking miss my fat one so I could play ps2 games without dragging out mine

That's probably most expensive console I have ever heard of.