Are there any shows comparable to the genius narrative structure of Avatar: The last Airbender?

Are there any shows comparable to the genius narrative structure of Avatar: The last Airbender?

I marathoned this show and it was so fucking good, but when I went to watch Legend of Korra I almost threw up because of how shitty it was, right from the get go. I don't want to spend too much time complaining about it here, but the first episode was pure unadulterated trash, and it only went down from there. Not only was the writing terrible in and of itself, but its shittiness ruined cool aspects of the previous show. It had no engaging overall story arc, and insofar as it did, all of the characters were written in a shitty way so you didn't even care. All of the writing forced the whole universe to revolve around MUH PROUD INDEPENDENT WOC WHO DON'T NEED NO LOVE TRIANGLES, and she was a huge cunt from start to finish (I actually didn't even finish the first season because of how much I hated the show). Katara was apparently a character who tested well with audiences from the better show, but when writing Whorra they didn't understand why people liked her, ergo her cuntiness. Whatever man.

Does anyone have suggestions on similarly high-quality western animation that actually has a narrative arc?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I can't tell whether this is bait or just high octane autism.

It's not genius, it's just one of the few shows to actually give a shit about it's narrative and take the time to finish it, something that's pretty rare in the west.

everything about it was so cohesive and coherent. the universe constructed around it was fucking cool as shit and I could have watched nothing but filler from that show because of how well-written the characters were and how interesting the setting was.

Coo your fucking autism jets, newfag. It's a well written show, that's all. You've just been deprived of shit that's actually good because you've watched nothing but american sitcoms all your life.

ok then, do you have any suggestions of actual good shows like I asked in the op?

Wakfu is probably as close as it gets.

anime

Self contained series.
>Roswell Conspiracies: Aliens Myths and Legends. A 40 episode series with a pretty good mystery arc and good characters.
>Xyber 9: New Dawn. Interesting world, characters that develop and grow of 22 episodes. Integration of CGI vehicles and 2D characters is the biggest negative though. Also has the voices of Tim Curry and Tony Jay as the villains.

Not self contained.
>Chris Colorado. European series. A good story arc and characters with interesting back stories and also show why the world there in has changed so dramatically from our norm. Crams in a large amount of plot into each episode. The series is 26 episodes that seemed to be setting up a 2nd season but could be described as the battle has been won but the war continues while still wrapping up a lot of plot threads at the end of the series.

RC:AMaL can be found on Dailymotion, X9ND and CC both on YouTube.

This.
OP, are you 12 or just gay, or both?

Can you explain what's so good about Wakfrog? I saw the first episode and thought it was completely overrated, waifubait trash.

Reminder that Aaron Ehasz was key in TLA being remotely good. And that TLA Season 3 and LoK were both when Team Bryke took a much larger role.

There AREN'T any western shows like it. That's the entire reason Airbender is so popular. It's literally a westerner's attempt at an anime. To get shows like it you'd have to actually watch anime.

You might like Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc (it has a plot, I promise) and Gravity Falls

Congratulations, you have accurately identified what the bare minimum for competence in storytelling is, but you've lost points for failing to realize that the problem isn't that Avatar was great at doing it, but that so many other shows are fucking horrible at what they try to do.

Oban Star Racer is another self-contained story. It's the story about a galactic race that will decide the fate of the universe, but the plot mostly revolves around Molly the female main protagonist and her relationship with her dad that abandoned her, forgot she even existed, but is the manager of Earth's team and Molly is the pilot. Very good show, very well animated, has some touching moments, like when Molly confronts her mother's killer and a good soundtrack.

I think the Italian Sandokan cartoon(not the furry one), is also self-contained and has some nice action, but the English dubbing is too horrendous for me to keep watching.

The Legend of Korra was bad because the creators got too big for their britches and fired anyone who might have told them no or edited out any retardation they tried to throw in. Combine that with trying to target the "tween" audience with love triangles and drama, as well as fucking with the amount of allotted episodes and you have a recipe for disaster.

You can tell they fucked up almost immediately when they wen't with Korra's hideous hair choice in season one DESPITE having concept art with her looking much better (something they even changed in later seasons when they ditched the pony tail). Again when you don't have anyone to tell your creative geniuses that what they are doing is wrong, poor choices get made.

All of that aside though. Korra is top notch fap bait.

Isn't anime the nip's attempt at Disney? Was the West trying to copy its old self?

The first anime like Tetsujin and Astroboy were inspired by Disney, but anime hasn't been about aping Disney in decades.

First anime, yes, but there's a lot slow evolution from that point to what we have now. You're talking about around a 60 year interim where they honed and crafted their own thing out of it.

It's a good show, but it's narrative structure is pretty archetypal. It's a fairly bog standard rendition of The Hero's Journey, and kind of collapses in on itself by the end. It's well executed, but you should really watch/read more fiction before making more statements like that.

I like avatar and even I think you sound like a shill

Obligatory.

yeah, you shouldnt watch it, user.

There he is, based E;R.

You know, if they were a bit closer to yin-yang as practiced in Oriental philosophy then Raava would be a male and Vaatu female. But then again, Korra doesn't have any women who are both feminine and major villians.

/thread

I still have no idea why they felt every spirit also needed the power to partially mutilate and transform any human they feel like. That has pretty much zero basis in any asian mythos.

Did you even bother to read his post?

wut

its some gay ass bullshit man it fucking is retarded

Eh, spirits were already shown as dangerous to humans to contempous of them at best. LoK suddenly saying they need to be in the same world as humanity is the odd one.

Vaatu is shamelessy an attempt to stick a Satan analogue into Avatar's world as a dark enemy of the also shoved Raava. Despite the Oriental setting and how Buddhism, Taoism, and Shinto lacked such figures.

In asian mythology, having natural magic powers is what makes spirits dangerous. Being able to disguise themselves as animals and use nature against mortals is what makes spirits. Being tricksters and manipulators was what made people fearful of spirits.. No where, not once, was there a legend where the spirits hated humans unconditionally, so they jumped into their bodies and made them turn into tree monsters or turned them into quasi-furries.

>>>/a/

Spirits in TLA were depicted as dangerous or at least beyond human concerns. Even the Avatar when combined with a moon spirit was presented as terrifying.

I'll admit the "We R Loath Humans For How You Ruin Nature!!11" was bleh and just Bryke spewing their Leftism through their speshul Wan.

If the story were merely magical spirits versus human civilization (+benders) that would be fine and still be rife with possibilities for conflict and story development. The mutation aspect, which is even less explained that Amon's bullshit bloodbending, adds something to the story that makes no fucking sense and only muddles the story… And it's become a central aspect of the comics they're doing now. The villain they're setting up is a bender hitman who got mutated by some spirit who was pissed at Korra for being a huge failure, again.

Yeah but satan isn't a god you should have phrased it better

Vaatu is certainly trash and only exists because they wanted an evil avatar, in other words, he only exists because the writers are idiots.

I forgot to mention that Rava is trash too, the avatar should have been the incarnation of the earth, or just not explained at all.

The avatar was originally the incarnation of the earth. It was on the old website I'm sure there's an archive of it.

Exoquad

Exosquad

And what a beautiful whore she is, I want to have sex with her.
I am sure she would make a great breeding sow if she wasn't a nigger.

Fuck off to 4cuck.

nope! with the magical power of penis you can turn this degenerate carpet muncher into an obedient slave!

ER IS A NIGGER THAT DOESN`T POST VIDEOS ANYMORE YOU ARE A NIGGER ER A NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER

pick one

Well, looks like Holla Forums ruined another one.

I recognize that artist on his hentai foundry page. Last I checked he hasn't put up any new stuff yet.>>935251

Why do you say that?