Can you be an anarchist and be religious?

Can you be an anarchist and be religious?
I'm curious.

If anarchists could please answer.

Other urls found in this thread:

vftonline.org/VFTfiles/thesis/summary01.htm#Jesus
youtu.be/yccBBzSHFAM?t=9m46s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah, but probably not a mainstream interpretation of actually existing religions. William Blake's libertarian religious views for example would be compatible with anarchism but probably not mainstream christian theology.

Why couldn't you be in the first place?

Sure. The religious are really good at doublethink.

Yes, the Sandinistas were made up of
Catholics

Why not? Jesus was a commie and I'm pretty sure Tolstoy was a Christian anarchist.

yes
jesus christ was an anarcho-capitalist

vftonline.org/VFTfiles/thesis/summary01.htm#Jesus

OP said anarchists and not anti-state liberals.

Shoo

youtu.be/yccBBzSHFAM?t=9m46s

There are more religions out there besides the Abrahamic ones.

No. You are better off not associating your spiritual beliefs on institutional cults, whatever those beliefs are.

Christ never asked to be worshiped and Christ certainly never instructed his followers to erect an authoritarian institution around his message.

It's possible I suppose…

I'm sure you can. It just depends on whether you bend yourself around a religion or vice versa.

Sage because it is pretty much answered beforehand.

Yes, but you have to reject religious hierarchy, but you can still respect religious authority in so far as you acknowledge a person could be more versed in scripture and having attained knowledge, giving his/hers interpretations more weight.
Some churches like the quakers also have membership structures that lend themselves quite well to an anarchist approach to religion.
also, anarchists can do what ever they want

It's probably useful to make a distinction between religion and faith/spirituality as well, insofar as religion necessarily entails some kind of authoritarian institutional structure according to the contemporary imagination.

But does it? There are plenty of religious institutions that aren't authoritarian, and even clearly people adhering to authoritarian institutions, like the catholic church aren't expected to necessarily agree with the pope or follow his command.

I agree, that's why I added "according to contemporary imagination". If you ask me, today's techno-scientific culture is much more authoritarian and domineering than Christianity actually was in practice most of the time.

Well there are ancaps so why can't you be a religious anarchist?
No idols no masters I guess :^)

Thats like asking if you can be anarchist and idealogical.

Yes.

See: Tolstoy, Walter Benjamin, Peter Lamborn Wilson

Did you watch the video?

anti-state liberals aren't anarchists though.

exactly.

I feel like this is supposed to be sarcastic in which case I'd like to ask for proof.

Well… the first claim is pretty much obviously false. If Jesus is God and he did ask to worship the Father, then he also asked to be worshipped. It only works if we assume Jesus wasn't God … in which case it doesn't work at all.

trash

the anarchist creed is NO GODS NO MASTERS

if you break this creed you're not a fucking anarchist fuck off

1 That isn't a creed.
2 It didn't come from anarchists
3. I think Chomsky is right in saying that the "no Gods part" referred to ecclesiastical rule and not literal belie in god

Most religions DO have some kind of hierarchy aside from priests. Islam, for example, has a hierarchy of scholars who are the only ones allowed to interpret and change Islamic Law.

Also, Blanqui, who crafted the phrase, was staunchly anti-religion and militantly atheist. I have no idea why Chomsky interprets it to mean nothing more than "ecclesiastical rule".

Some religions are better suited to this than others.
The perfect religions for setting up a theocracy, because of their legalism. Anarchy compatibility: 0%.
Divinely ordained caste system. Anarchy compatibility: 0%.
Violently resisting the state not encouraged; better to be a martyr. Can have anarchy if there is no state in the area to submit to. Anarchy compatibility: 30%.
Freeing oneself from desire pretty much puts you above politics. Anarchy compatibility: 0%.
Anarchy compatibility: 100%.

Horseshoe theory?

What?

How do you explain the fact that Hasidim practically lived in anarchy when they were living in shetls in Ukraine and Russia? Or that Sufis in N. Africa have been the primary anarchist forces in that region? Or the religious kibbutzim which still function on a non-hierarchical organization? Or the Alevis in Turkey who are extremely anarchistic in practice?

Most Buddhists are laymen

get your meme tier understanding of eastern religions out of here

Self proclaimed atheists are fedora wearers.
Religion is irrelevant to discuss. It's the ultimate spook.

No.

Organized religion is generally pretty hierarchical but the actual ideas and message can be very compatible.