Love horror games

I should love a game where im in some wilderness or ruined city scavenging and building up defenses as shit skitters around in the dark at the edge of my campfire. That concept should be my gotyay, buts it not. It never is.

I wonder if its the execution, the shallow nature or something more because i still would love to see some game like a 200 player per server ruined manhattan full of monsters or zone/fear style shit to avoid.

I guess the only problem i can easily name is procedural generation leads to a complete loss of environmental storytelling and a massive disconnect between player and world and the trouble is the less random it becomes the more replay value is lost.

Is there any way to salvage this concept?

I saw an horror movie recently called Backcountry.

The most mundane shit ever happens in the movie: a couple goes innawoods, the husband is stupid and doesn't bring a map, they get lost, a bear eats the husband face, the wife wander the woods terrified until she manages to find her way back by sheer luck, the park rangers find her, end of movie.

It was so refreshing to see a horror movie that kept things simple and just presented a normal scenario that could happen to anyone and the story wrapped itself up nicely, in a sea of contrived bullshit.

Not at all.

Realistic post-apoc or innawoods survival (even if you threw monsters into the mix) especially if you threw monsters into the mix could never be translated into good gameplay.

Wew, it sure is fun sitting here for 6 hours baking in my own sweat and piss because I thought I saw movement a couple hundred yards away. Maybe it was nothing, maybe they're gone? I'll poke my head up for a- and you're dead.

Survival is all about tedium and fear, and that just doesn't make a good game, so you might as well scrap the survival mechanics altogether and make it a fun action game.

If you want to get mad at a movie that overreaches its premise go look up "yellow brick road".
It starts great but holy shit i cannot remember the last time a film genuinely got me mad.

You willingly choose mediocrity.

mmos make it even worse because they are made for plebs
never before has an image of penn gillette with a garbage can been more appropriate.

Because those early access sandbox games forget to actually put a game ontop of the survival shit.

The whole point of survival mechanics is to gate the "fun" parts of the game behind a shitty time sink to hide the lack of content and stretch the gameplay hours. The typical survival mechanics (hunger, thirst, sleep, resource gathering, resource farming, crafting) are really no different from the grinding required in a bad MMO; they both exist for the same purpose, and that's why there is such a ridiculous amount of early access sandbox survival games.

My nigga.

I think there is a way to do survival right, but it has to be genuinely difficult to survive and not just a time sink. If you can farm super fucking easily without a worry, then there's no reason to have hunger. But if farming takes ages (farming in Cataclysm takes 21 days on the default season length and food will rot unless you do something to keep it fresh) and scavenging is tough, then it can put you in a tough spot, forcing you to range farther for scavenging, get more efficient while hunting, and/or go nomadic.

Yes, this does make Minecraft's hunger mechanics the shittiest shit to happen to the game, especially since it just discourages exploration more than anything else.

I don't think that makes for fun gameplay, especially if you have a spoilage mechanic which is just another blatant time tax on the player. Why not just have Food give the player a long health regen buff (but also let the player's heath regen normally at a very slow rate without food), and instead make the resource gathering focus on offensive resources like weapons, ammunition and armor? You could also shake things up with interesting things like a Noise mechanic where things like un-supprressed gunfire (or even, say, using a chainsaw to quickly cut down trees to build a shelter) attracts enemies from a large distance, which is a mechanic that could be utilized defensively or offensively, or maybe you just get your shit fucked up.

If you look at the traditional implementation of those mechanics and you ask yourself "Is this making the game more fun?" I think you'll come back with a resounding FUCK NO nearly 100% of the time, good gameplay should always be the #1 concern.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 NEVER EVER

I'm fine with there never being another stalker.

The Metro 2033 team are working on an open world game. Might not be official, but if it is a Metro game then it'll be better and closer to STALKER 2 than trash like Survarium or Escape from Tarkov will ever be.

just kill yourself tbh fam

is escape from tarkov even trying to be stalker tho? i read that it wont have any supernatural element to it

Yeah, na, it's shit.

No idea. I recall when it was revealed a bunch of fags/shills were saying it was the best thing next to stalker 2 that would actually come out.

It's post-apocalyptic at least, ain't it?

It's dark atmosphere'd russian shooter at the very least.

enemies die to 1 - 2 shots to the head and like 10 to the body if they are equiped with exosuits

did you even try aiming?

it's not post apocalyptic, its a warzone with 2 mercenary groups fighting for something

If you had spent even 1/100th the time modding the series that I have, you wouldn't have those ridiculously shit and incorrect opinions when all of the information proving what I'm saying is stored in plaintext .ltx files.

shit bait or shit opinion

Ah, so it just looks like a spiritual successor to STALKER then.

Why can't survival happen anywhere but Western Australia, Western Europe Stereotype #3 or Ex-Soviet land?

I forgot some

maybe, i hope it is as good, i really want to buy this game

Have you tried Don't Starve?

Confirmed for only playing on easymode. Master is easier than easymode because it takes less bullets to kill something.
Yeah that one plagues every shooter that tries to balance weapons.
aim down your sights, get closer, fire single shots or three round bursts at most.

the first time i tried this game i was too spooked to do anything

see

I honestly don't know why you niggers feel the need to speak from a position of authority when you have no fucking idea what you're talking about, and are merely spreading second-hand disinfo.

alright nigger, probably mutants take a lot of bullets to kill, but they are fucking giants monsters, or have psychic powers like the burer, but most humans go down in 2 to 10 shots depending on equipement, obviously not counting the bullets that miss

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Speaking of dystopic-lookin' things and russia, whatever happened to the Innawoods guy? Wasn't he making a game from the dress-up?

neo scavenger

I haven't played it but it's something for you

i dont really know, i've seen some threads on /k/ about the game note getting more updates but that's all

not*

I really enjoyed NEO Scavenger, but the story could have used a lot of work.

Is it worth bifteen bollars?

A spookier game would be about silent farts and you're in an empty house and you can't figure out where the fart is coming from. So YOU HAVE TO FIND OUT WHERE It is!

I dunno if I'd have paid that much for it.

I picked it up in a bundle for a couple bucks, so my opinion is going to be a little biased as far as the price is concerned.

The gameplay is fairly solid, but it's fairly short unless you actively try to lengthen things by refusing to do anything but scavenge random areas.

I'll pick it up next sale then.

You could always do as I did and just pirate it until it drops to a more reasonable price.

Neh.

It's strange but ever since I got some money rolling in I haven't pirated a single thing. I don't have any issues with pirating at all, and I still do it for tv shows, but I no longer do it with games, even if I can't afford it I just feel myself naturally inclined to waiting for money rather than pirating.

Strange.

Hey OP, have you tried out The Forest? It sounds like just your thing

Plane crashed on some unknown island and the cannibals want your meat, but the island has other inhabitants as well

The map is not randomly generated, the AI is really fun, and the caves harbor some real spook

But wait, there's more

I'm still fully recommending it, it's an experience if nothing more

Is it still a buggy mess?

Last I played it was 4 months ago, but yes

stalker is such a masterpiece

an absolutely fucking scary game with a comfy atmosphere and slavs

Agreed.

I liked that movie up until the very end, what got you angry?

You could try Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves. You gather supplies, go to the town, buy stuff and set up traps during the day, defend a cursed girl from werewolves and other similar kind of monsters (like sasquatch and wendigoes) during the night.

The game is hard as shit, and the art-style is not the scariest of it all, but you certainly do get that "monsters lurking in the darkness around your bonfire"-feeling in it, since bonfires are actually a game mechanic in the game.

I had an idea based of Minecraft I'd like to recreate some way - tried looking into modding Minetest, but that thing runs worse than Minecraft despite being made in C++ apparently, and I can't think of any other option to base game on, plus I don't know how would I implement an interesting to explore randomly generated world filled with metro and sewer tunnels and ruins.

In any case, here are the key ideas:

Jesus Christ, this is creepy but mesmerizing. Also, found the source.

Nice thumbnail nerd