When will Bethesda Softworks ever be innovative again??

What happened to Bethesda Holla Forumsam? They were most innovative video game developer in history. Now they seem like dying.

Back in 1990, Bethesda created a Terminator game. It was a 3D open world sandbox FPS game with car jacking, 2 years before Wolfenstein 3D and 6 years before GTA. Can you believe that?

Up to 1998 they kept developing FPS Terminator games that were also ridiculously innovative. Terminator Rampage was Wolfenstein 3D with huge and realistic level design that looks and works pretty much like a real life building, Terminator 2029 was like a dungeon crawler meets arcade lightgun shooter, and the most notable is Terminator Future Shock, being the first full 3D FPS game with vertical aiming and proper platforming.

Elder Scrolls combined the gameplay of first person dungeon crawlers and the world building of open world RPG games like Ultima. It was innovative, but it was clunky and due to the automatically generated world it seemed boring. Morrowind cranked up the controls, UI, and got rid of the auto generated content without getting rid of the sandbox. It turned out to be really good and fresh, a sandbox game that isn't shallow at all.

The last innovative thing they did was the Radiant AI, which didn't work really well as you know it. Oblivion and Fallout 3 were the last games they made with a shred of innovation. Ever since they got brought by Zenimax, it's like they completely stopped innovating. What the fuck happened?

And more importantly, what happened to our dear Todd? He was responsible for most of the innovative Terminator games I've mentioned and saved Bethesda's ass by giving Morrowind a new engine and handcrafted level building to gain a more universal appeal. He used to be the organization's most valuable manager, but now he seems more like a useless marketer like Reggie.

Was it Zenimax?

Allow me to explain.

I've recently been coming to grips with the fact that I was raped by a woman - a pregnant woman. If you are laughing right now or saying to yourself "sure you were" or "I'd love that to happen to me" or "can't rape the willing" then I'm not sure you should continue reading as you are part of the problem. Scratch that - perhaps you should continue reading…
If you don't mind, I'll get right to it.
On a Friday night in the early 1990s, after a night of drinking, dancing and relaxing with a friend for several hours at a popular club in Jacksonville, North Carolina - said friend disappeared for the night and left his female friend (stranger to me) without a ride and about 35 miles from home. I was plastered, and not going to drive as the club was next to a motel. She asked for a ride and I agreed to drive her home in the morning as she was about 6 months pregnant, but I was going to have to get a motel room for the evening as I was not driving in such a state. We decided to split the cost of the room and both agreed that sleeping was all that was going to take place. She was pregnant and I felt the "typical" male compulsion to protect her in that delicate state. At the time, I thought I was in love with a woman attending UNC-Wilmington and was not interested in sleeping with this stranger. I seem to recall we even had separate beds.
I woke up about 2 hours later - still destroyed by the alcohol - to find my clothes removed from the waist down, penis erect and the woman on top of me - boldly raping me. She had apparently brought me to erection - not hard as I'm one of those men who can hold one for hours, awake or asleep, sober or drunk. She told me everything was okay and to go back to sleep and despite my best effort to the contrary, I was unable to speak coherently in my still very inebriated and half-conscious state and did fall asleep again quickly. I have no idea how long she continued on top of me as I remained unconsious for the remainder of this first attack.
After most of my drunken stupor wore off in the morning, I awoke again to find her on top of me - angry and hostile. I immediately remembered waking up at least once prior during the night to find her on me and felt my body freeze up at the realization I was being raped. This wasn't a dream. This wasn't a fantasy. This wasn't consensual.
She sternly warned me to "be quiet" and "not be forceful" and made it clear that she would accuse me of raping her if I tried to stop it. I was stunned to say the least and not sure how to respond. I could easily have thrown her off me and into next week, but I was not willing to risk harming her child or her to protect myself. Further, I took her threat very, very seriously. She said it so easily that I doubt I was her first.
I weighed my options for a moment and came to the conclusion that a sober, 6 or 7-month pregnant, locally raised, college student of 24 was far more likely to be believed by the authorities than a drunk 19-year old Marine in the best shape of his life. I frequented that club a lot and I'm sure several people saw me leave with her. I was pretty much fucked - in more than one way - at that point.
I complied by lying still - as everytime I moved she screeched at me to be still - while she continued to warn, taunt and threaten me for what seemed like an eternity. I still can't comprehend the anger and hostility she conveyed while she raped me. How do I wrap my brain around what this woman did? How do I make it make sense?
I don't really know how long this second rape continued as I eventually succeeded in disconnecting my mind from the situation. Eventually, she orgasmed again and got off me. Further, I have no idea how many times she had actually raped me that night - at least twice.
As a small favor, she turned out to be disease free.
Prior to accepting the facts and removing the veil of delusion, I'd always tried to pretend it was nothing or played it off like an uncomfortable memory of a wild night that ended weird whenever the memory surfaced. Pushing it to the back of my mind or deluding myself into believing I was somehow to blame had become an art form after so many years.
I am posting this now, because after nearly two decades of pretending, the floodgates opened last month, triggered by a friend, and it has been extremely difficult to deal with as my denial was swept away. I am in therapy as I have a lot of work ahead in order to heal after the band-aid was so dramatically and unexepectedly ripped away. As you can imagine, this was very difficult to admit, not only publicly to you, but to myself and to my wife as well. However, I cannot and will not hide this any longer. If my own story can help inspire someone else to seek assistance sooner, I am happy to be the catalyst that kicks off the healing process.

When they hire that drug addict to write their lore again.

Oh I see he is already here.

She's so fucking cute and sweet. I'd treat her to some fancy restaurant, then take a long romantic walk with her, holding hands and talking about philosophy, art and dreams. Then I'd invite her to my home and ravage her hot ass for hours, and forcing my cock down her throat so she choked on both the throbbing cock and her own rectal juice. I'd then proceed to cum on her cute innocent face. Then, as the ultimate love gift, I'd carry her in my arms to the tub and let my piss wash away the semen and last dignity from her. I'd whisper "I love you" and give her a tender smile, and cut her throat from ear to ear with a knife. Covered in her own warm blood, she'd look straight into my very soul, forgiving, understanding. A bubble from blood and saliva would burst between her lips, then she'd die. After some additional lovemaking, I'd stuff her in a bin bag. Three Weeks later, some playing children will find her mutilated and desecrated body in the forest. They will be scarred for life.

What are you talking about? Besthesda is still innovating constantly, don't you remember the Player Voice Acting in Fallout 4, which was critical to the emotional experience? The PC's Voice Acting compellingly contextualizes the rest of the narrative, making it all the more memorable.
Then there was the new Power Armor system, a brilliant idea that has never been done before.

There's always hope

Anything is possible, remember this, and try to not care so much about video game developers.

If every game is 10/10, none are

Yeah, it's mostly Zenimax's fault. But there's also the fact that Lefay left. He probably kept Todd and others in line.

JUst trying to make more decent discussions in this trash site bro.

But Elder Scrolls isn't the only Bethesda game, and the series only got more playable after Lefay left.

All I remember bethesda ever innovating was how they innovated casual games to bring in more casuals.

I bet no one on Holla Forums have enough patience to stomach this masterpiece.

Well they don't have Kirkbride anymore so their writing will never be good again, and their goal is to appeal to casual console babbies and mustard race faggots so they will continue to play it safe and standard with the gameplay/open world as long as it makes them money.

that image is grossly inaccurate and completely misrepresent's Bethesda's dialogue system, a more realistic set of options would be:

X) AGREE
Y) JOHN CONNOR?
A) ANGRILY AGREE
B) SARCASTIC

The fuck with writing, I want them to revisit their one man army tacticool Terminator games.

This doesn't look bad, if it was an actual game.

The Terminator, 1990

their programmers are hacky but creative, both Arena and Daggerfall were insane projects because of their scale, and Oblivion's LOD system is pretty impressive.

But I'm guessing the only non writing talent they have has also left because they haven't been up to much recently.

ahem

Origin Systems as well. Bethesda basically just copied everything origin did half the damn time.

I miss the days when Bethesda were following actual good developers. Instead of leading every fucking worthless hackjob AAA in the industry right now. Remember the industry before Bethesda fucked it and introduced Horse Armor.. Now every fucking game has DLC.

Oh, I remember. I remember all too well. If there's just one "I told you so" I wish I could rub in people's faces, just one time I could force every anonymous poster who said otherwise face their wrongness, just one time I could make people choke on their words, it'd be the people who argued horse armor was no big deal. They were so, absolutely, objectively, horribly wrong. More wrong than anyone on any Holla Forums has ever been about anything.

Never. They're dead.

Ha I actually bought the horse armour.

And now Valve makes money selling hats in Counterstrike.

Bullfrogs made RTS games. Elder Scrolls is basically giving Ultima Underworld an open world gameplay from Ultima 7 or so, but Elder Scrolls weren't the only Beth games.

Neither Bullfrog or Origins have made anything as advanced as 1990 Terminator and Future Shock. They didn't get as much coverage as Elder Scrolls, but they were very innovative.

Yeah I'm aware of Future Shock. 1990 Terminator I feel you're giving it way too much credit though when you consider its the same era as Dynamix Red Baron, Mean Streets ect which all looked as advanced. The main difference is that at least Bethesda was on the bleeding edge of it. Nowadays they're using a 15 year old engine to produce the same shitty game over and over.

and that's really the point. The second Bethesda starts using their own tech again the better. Gamebryo is such a shit engine, I even hated it when Firaxis were using it because it crashed every 2 seconds.

No. Its for the modders. Bethesda is a shit company and always will be, and always was. I feel like if the mod community actually had not a shit engine they'd be doing OpenMW levels of optimizations to their games.

But frankly, they shouldn't have to do this shit and really people shouldn't develop their fucking games for them. But if they have to, at the very least give them a not entirely shit engine.

Bethesda makes games for modders. When they saw how well Morrowind was modded and how much people liked why spend hours/money on making a good game when some kektard will do it for free?

What the fuck are you doimg OP?
Also reminder that Doomed is shit and normalfags dont know what made the first ones good, it is the new Fallout 3

I blame softworks the guys in charge as well as Zenimax, which owns Bethesda. Really everything went to shit once Bethesda started to really get popular and Zenimax started using Bethesda to scoop up unsuspecting new I.Ps. As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think the old Bethesda that made Daggerfall, Morrowind, or even Oblivion is coming back.

I can only guess however that Zenimax is pushing Bethesda to keep simplifying their games in the same way Blizzard has been doing, to appeal to the lowest commen denominator. This in turn has caused the developers to care far less about their games over time and not put in the effort and little details they used to.

Also, seems whoever is working on their games lore nowadays doesnt care like the previous ones did.

I see people nowadays asking for weapon dlcs and armor dlcs from Bethesda for fallout 4. When the horse armor shit cause a damned revolt. It'd depressing to watch how far our culture has fallen.

Didn't Kirkbride get fired for banging the daughter of a Zenimax exec?

That said, he liked Skyrim, so I dunno what his deal is. Is he still working on C0DA? That had some promise for being batshit crazy.

"Innovation" is the dumbest word in videogames.

They tried to be innovative in fo4 with building and other shit, look what that did

Well fuck you, define innovation then, it probably means, "do what I want"

Games just need good writers. People can't write because they're stupid and our culture is pussified and can't take the bantz, thus scaring off talent.

You get Fedora points for your epik Todd posting

Holla Forums groupthink intensifies

Fedora points for you, circlejerker

Kirkbride is a good writer. He does not have good taste in video games.

C0DA was written, and can be found online. The comic it was supposed to go with was never completed, though.

what the fuck are fedora points you cocksuckers? get the fuck out

I feel like they need to hire a new animation team. All their games have had very bad animations. Things clip into each other and other times they're just too simple for the character.

I know who really qualifies for that and now I want to punch you for that fanboy bullshit.

Holy shit, is this a new kind of newfag?

Nonstop addictive action with a rocking soundtrack and and the overall feel of not having its head up its own ass with plot or cinematic shit? I just casually played a port once with my cousins on PS3 back when I used to visit them and instantly saw what everyone was talking about.

Looked like crap, worse framerate than Terminator and pretty flat 3D environment with less 3D objects.

Atari was so advanced that it's not fair to compare any other video game studio to them. However, by 1990 Red Baron they redid their 1980 vector based arcade game. From a gameplay standpoint, Terminator is still one of the most innovative games in history.

It's impressive though to see what they could do with gamebyro. Radiant AI is probably the most complex AI ever implemented, it had a real time GOAP system that controls nearly 2000 NPC's at once, and they did it with gamebyro. Whereas STALKER had to severely reduce the intelligence of the NPC whenever they're far away from player's sight, Radiant NPC's actually do their schedule regardless the position of the player.

The absolute madman.

ITT: Bethesdrones on suicide watch

Fuck no. Not in the current state of the industry no AAA publisher will ever be innovative.

Let me tell you how innovative dubs are though…