So Holla Forums its friday the 13th so lets talk about Friday the 13th

So Holla Forums its friday the 13th so lets talk about Friday the 13th.
Or rather, perhaps the phenomenon of licensed horror games.
Or licensed games.
Or horror games in general.

Some points to hit.
Why don't horror franchises these days ever seem to get their licenses opted for video games? Is it because of the failures of the past? Is it because licensed games are not received well in general now?

Perhaps the genres don't properly translate in ways that people might think they should.
It seems like being on the good guy's team in a slasher movie makes sense because that's where the audience would identify.
But it doesn't make good gameplay does it? (pic related).
But what if the proper translation is to be the killer/slasher in the VIDEO game?

A Friday The 13th game in modern times would make an excellent stealth-based kill game, don't you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

original.livestream.com/binaryghosts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Of course we could also talk about how one would make a good Freddy game.

For me, I would make it more along the lines of the "Dream Warriors" movie, except you're a singular character and you need to gain powers from saving the souls of other dreaming kids that Freddy has killed.
The idea being you go into a dreamscape…basically plays out like an action RPG where the overworld is the waking world so it would dabble a bit into the world-shift like Soul Reaver.

How are the old Splatterhouse titles? Is the new one any good?

Older ones are better.

The new one is an average to good game, but doesn't do justice to the older ones.

I'm also watching these movies, going to try to go through all of them tonight because, well, the date.

I would like one thing to be considered. The slide of Horror games turning into basically just action games with a horror soundtrack seems to mirror the increasing dumbness a horror movie series ends up displaying with each successive sequel.

anyway, for those interested. movie stream is here.

You know, other than resident evil in the video game world, what other long running horror series of games slid into a complete 180 of what it originally was?
As far as I can tell, Silent Hill hasn't devolved into action shooting.

Do you suppose there is a possibility for good games involving the classic horror monsters? And yes, i'm lumping everything up until the 90's with that although I think the 90's only has Ghostface (Scream)

Is the Manhunt PS3 port any fun? I hear a lot of good stuff about it, so I watched a gameplay video about it but it didn't look very fun. I figured it must play better than it appears.

thats the problem with watching gameplay videos in general. Its an interactive medium and where emotional manipulation is involved, if you're removed from the action, the game might seem boring and not play very well to you.

In movies, its important for the audience to identify and connect with the characters in a horror movie. If that can't be done then there is no real horror to be had.
Video games tend to get an easy way around this because by action of playing you are self-inserting most of the time. This means that horror games are all personal experiences.

Isn't there a Friday the 13th game in development? I'm pretty sure it has you playing as Jason. And I saw another crowdfunded game that has you being able to play the killer, but I can't recall the name.

You know, I saw some screenshots of that when looking for the original but I figured it was a fan-game fan-rendering. I never take those too seriously. They're great efforts but I know they'll get shitcanned as soon as they're popular.

You guys just aren't into horror games I guess?
Or horror in general?

I mean I get it. Neither is nobody else in the fucking gaming audience.

Just pirate it, and see for yourself, man.

Fair enough. I'd like to see a good game based on a horror movie or just horror movies in general despite being a pussy when it comes to scary stuff. Hopefully something comes of those, but we'll see.

I always think there is potential but perhaps it takes something different/special.

The Ghost Busters game didn't get good until they decided to stop trying to tie in with the actual fucking movies and just made the game as if it were another entry in the series.

Which honestly, they have have got their queues from how the matrix games were made.

It seems like games made from movies fail simply because they try to get too close to being the actual movie.

Yeah, I agree.
There are some few tie-in games that follow the movie and work, but if more of them tried to tell their own story based in the movie's universe, it'd be more fun.

I think like a spiderman game or two realized this during the era of Toby spiderman.

But yeah, you need self contained things or things just risen out of the concepts. not necessarily having to fit in with the cannon but just taking the material and using it.

Movie 4 is happening now.

Yeah, it was originally called "Summer Camp" and already had involvement with the composer and gore effects crew from the first few Jason movies. It was an F13 game in everything but name and I was down for that.

Then it became the official F13 game with that asymmetrical shit so one guy plays an OP Jason while the rest are campers trying to survive. There was a Kickstarter for it and… Then I kinda' stopped paying attention. Something about the official branding irked me, probably since now they've limited themselved to such a simple concept they can't to anywhere else with it.

I dunno. Might be fun If it ever comes out.

That simple concept is ok though. that simple concept is pretty much what you need for any slasher based game.

The player needs to be the slasher and sometimes the slashee. They need to play both cards.

Honestly, slasher movie games need to be like modified matches of arena shooters.

BTW, movie 4 still going.

on to movie 5