Got today a Lenovo Thinkpad t420 (i5 and Intel HD Graphics)

Got today a Lenovo Thinkpad t420 (i5 and Intel HD Graphics)

What other games can I play on it?
Is emulation possible on that machine too?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge
thinkwiki.org/wiki/T420_and_T430_HD+_Screen_Upgrade
mega.nz/#F!a1o2UKra!jzjT2Kq5xN-dF9Tzaoe-UQ
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=114057
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Please tell me you got that as a gift, OP.

The older Lenovo thinkpads are good though, they were made before they started producing absolute shit.

I got it for free in exchange of a Surface 2 RT

What is your actual CPU model? "i5" doesn't tell me dick, and accurate emulation is extremely CPU heavy.

Also this.

It has a i5-2520M, 4GB of RAM and run on a Intel HD 3000 graphic chipset

Still, not a terrible start.

Doom is always an option, just don't try it with an opengl renderer, it made mine practically catch fire after about 10 minutes.

That's actually not that bad. You'll be able to run pre-gen 6 emulation just fine.

Download Retroarch and go nuts.

Mednafen for the Playstation core
Mupen64+ for the N64 core
BSNES Balanced for the SNES core
mGBA for the GBA core
Gambatte for the GB/GBC core
Nestopia for the NES core
Genesis Plus GX for the Genesis core

Have fun, user.

I could emulate Phoenix Wright on DeSmuME without many problems.

But anons, the semi-old Thinkpads are actually good.
I got mine for $140 and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Hasn't Trickster been discontinued since 2014 tho?

What model number and what screen resolution is it?

Retroarch is a finicky bitch when it comes to PS1 emulation, make sure you have the proper bioses or shit's gonna crash and not really indicate why
Well it does indicate why, it just crashes to desktop without leaving a log
RAEM helps if you want a more modern GUI, but I never really liked it.

lmaoing at ur life

I didnt even spend anything for the Thinkpad though if you read the thread

Next time sell the surface and build an actual computer instead of changing it for a useless laptop you piece of triple shit

Enjoy your shit tier body posture and complete lack of comfyness.

Playing video games in bed has always and will always kick ass.

hurr durr muh product elitism
don't listen to Holla Forums, if they had their way everyone would be using 10 year old technology

Darkest hour : a hearts of iron game.
FTL
Divine divinity
Monaco
Mark of the ninja ( maybe )
Dawn of war
warcraft 3

But I already own a ga(y)ming desktop though

2hu if you're into that sort of thing.

Lenovo dropped the ball pretty hard when they installed a fucking rootkit on all of their laptops with the purpose of reinstalling their crapware. Let's not forget Superfish either.

Could you explain both of those things? All I know that my x201 is bretty good so far, but I don't want to accidentally shill the company if everything after 201x is shit. I'd only buy used of course, but most people aren't reasonable.

I think thats post sandy bridge stuff so a x201 should be safe.

The rootkit was basically something in the BIOS that downloaded the basic crapware bundle from Lenovo's servers when you reinstalled Windows. Superfish was adware that had a massive security hole in it, exposing encrypted communications to man-in-the-middle attacks. After both of these incidents Lenovo uploaded removal programs and said "So sorry, won't do it again". With that track record I wouldn't buy anything new from them, but the old Thinkpads are baller.

user pls

I've got one as well. I mostly just use it for Crypt of the Necrodancer, The Typing of the dead and occasionally for emulation. Minecraft kinda runs on it too, but I only use it in superflat creative mode so I don't know how well survival runs.
If you want weird niche stuff there's loads of RPGMaker games out there that will run on a Thinkpad easily.

It's called Superfish, and it holds Windows programs in the BIOS and installs them. It's only in their consumer line, so Thinkpads aren't affected. It also does nothing in Linux. Still a really stupid move on Lenovo's part.

I have a toaster of an Acer laptop, with Linux Mint (my primary OS) and Windows 7 (for the few times where I need it). I play old-ish games on it with WINE. Dark Messiah, Deus Ex, Thief, Morrowind, System Shock, etc. I also use it for emulating SNES, GB/GBA, and PS1 games.

i5-3230M @ 2.6 GHz
6GB of RAM
466 GiB HDD
1600x900 display

Thats not what superfish is see

Excuse me?

That's a relief.

Good thing that I run Linux then. And my x201 is so company that it was imported from Germany to Eastern Europe, so a quarter of the buttons do a completely different thing compared to what is written on them.

Thanks, everyone. Here are two cards for you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

I'm running a Thinkpad T420 with the following specs:
> 320GB HDD with Windows 7 and a 500GB HDD with GNU/Linux I added later
All in all, this thing cost just under $200 and it's the best laptop I've ever used. I hope that some motherfucker hacks another laptop mobo into this thing so I can keep using it even if these parts get too old.

I'm the only one unfortunate enough to get my hands on a T420 model with a gay 1366x768?

Because besides that, it's an excellent laptop.

From what I hear, the 136x768 is actually standard.

You can actually put in a 1600x900 screen if you want, or even a 1920x1080. thinkwiki.org/wiki/T420_and_T430_HD+_Screen_Upgrade

mega.nz/#F!a1o2UKra!jzjT2Kq5xN-dF9Tzaoe-UQ

Will we see a moddig scene with lots of aftermarekt stuff? Old thinkpads could be the AR-15s of the laptop world expect that I don't like the AR-15, and it is more of a high-end, quasi-futuristic gun.

I certainly hope so.

People have made new motherboards for old Thinkpads before. There was a Chinese group which made one for the T42. forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=114057

If people seriously tell you emulation isn't possible on a low end machine you know their full of shit. It might not be endlessly perfect but no one other than an autist will notice tiny little diffrences. I'd say you can emulate everything ps1 and down on a bad machine and then the ds and psp emulators are well optomized. I have a intel 1.6 ghz core and an intel hd 4000 graphics card and can full screen run ps1 and back in retroarch with filters and I play those other two emulators as well. It all works really well.

I'd also recommend getting into roguelikes. The best starting point for the genre is dungeon crawl stone soup. Has a great tiles pack and plays really well with a mouse. The genre is great if you can get into it. You can spend hours playing roguelikes honestly. I prefer the ones with a more modern ui, but there are plenty nowadays. Elona, tome4, adom, and brogue are other ones to check out.

Then theres also retro pc games. You should by tweaking settings be able to run most pc games 2009 or 2008ish and back with no real issues. Considering that the last 6 7 years has been among the worst I've ever seen in pc gaming no great loss honestly.

So with everything I recommened, (go get some full romsets at emuparadise and use retroarch) you like me can enjoy 1000s of hours of gaming on your shitty laptop. Don't let others get you down.

Source: t me expert in making the most out of anything.

Not sure how computer savy you are but I wanted to add some more advice to help out op. If you can get used to tweaking configuration files on newer games you can get lots of games that you will be way off spec to run quite well. This often means looking around forums and getting either false or cryptic advice. The things you'll want to do in a games configuration files to get it to run on a lower end machine are simple.
1. Look for optional things that add nothing to the games gameplay like weather and disable them
2. Depending on the type of game things like terrain and foilage can sometimes be disabled.
3. Look for things like extra shadows, etc all sorts of little things exist in game files that you don't always need.
4. If you choose to go down this path keep notes on the inital settings as sometimes disabling certaing things can break games.

But if your dead set on playing some relatively recent stuff it can be done with enough tweaking. I've managed to get things like the mass effect games to run on my shitty laptop by tweaking things a bunch. Remember follow your dreams, its time to step forward.

see
Already covered that shit, way to not even read a short, day old thread before jumping in and posting shit that has already been said, fagtron.

Don't be an ass, he's just trying to be helpful.

Feels comfy, man.

Is everyone here just really poor?

Probably.

probably

I'm also posting from my 420, feels good owning dankest memepad. Currently all I have is Morrowind, zdoom, and GBA emulator. That's the perfect trifecta for me. Doom to satisfy need for action, Morrowind for comf, GBA for autism. Can't wait for OpenMW to finish up so I can take advantage of that sweet performance.

Or you're like me and don't have the space for a desktop in your current living situation. End me.

I know that feel.