I can't find sources on it...

I can't find sources on it, but I seem to recall there being something NISA did to fuck Witch and the Hundred Knight up to the point where it actually broke PS3s. Anyone have the details/source on it? Thanks in advance.

All I remember is that the game would randomly crash and there was no one knew why. For some people it never crashed at all, while others were incapable of even playing it because it crashed so much. It's a shame too, I really wanted to play that game.

Near as I can tell it was only a problem with the NISA version, the original Japanese apparently runs just fine.

No, it CANNOT break your PS3, let's get this out of the way first.
However, it can crash your PS3, it's basically a broken game that NISA fucked up.
A fan found the solution and emailed NISA about it and they basically went "lel we don't know what to do/we don't care".

I recommend getting the PS4 version that is fixed, or learning japanese and importing since even if the game is fixed, it still has the piss poor NISA translation treatment.

I recommend boycotting any and all games handled by NISA when possible.
For example Atlus recently announced they won't partner with NISA anymore for localizations after all the problems they caused, one of the last games handled by them will be Odin Sphere Leifthrasir in the EU.

I strongly suggest all EU fans to import the US version of that game, that will be handled by Atlus instead, and thus not broken.

It's amazing that this still needs to be said.

It's amazing that weebfucks, on Holla Forums no less, tend to not even care.

Fair enough, I wasn't intimately familiar with the specifics, I just heard it was pretty fucking terrible.

I should boot up my copy at some point, that game's supposed to be amazing.

At this point I'm amazed people play games in English at all anymore.

Just wait for the release, it contains the original game untouched in addition to the "remix" that has improved gameplay.
So if you want to original experience the first time trough it's all there preserved.

It released in January, I have the game and artbook sitting right here.

it was a text overflow issue
fixed by a fan by modifying 2 lines of code
not only did NISA refuse to implement the code when he offered it for free, they started trying to quash it

Jesus fuck, the guy should've gone straight to NIS, that's got to qualify as actively sabotaging the game.

Oh, you mean you have the jap version, i see, my mistake, i tought you were talking about trying out the PS2 version first.

It can't break your PS3.
But it will crash it.
Technically speaking crashing a PS3 over and over can lead to damage, maybe, in theory, but i haven't read any reports of anyone straight up getting their PS3 bricked because of this game.

That's cool to hear. I like the look of the game but I don't want anything to do with NISA.
Are you talking about Odin sphere here or wathk?

The Asian versions of WatHK for PS4 are dual-language, so there's no need to learn moon when importing.

Ah, fair enough. Nah, I have a high opinion of Vanillaware, so I went ahead and preordered it, but my backlog has been too overwhelming to get around to it yet.

mine's started crashing in other games and apps since it started in 100 knight
at the very least it's leaving something corrupted on the hard drive

The Witch and the Hundred Knight didn't kill PS3s but it did crash a lot if you played it for too long.

Disgaea D2 is the one that fried PS3s

Odin sphere Leifthrasir, yes, the NA version is handled by Atlus so it should be safe.

For The Witch and the Hundred Knight the PS4 version should be fine, but you're still giving money to NISA, and they caused the problem in the first place, so i don't recommend it.

Well now that i know this, then the smartest thing to do is simply to import the JP version.

I see, make sure to do a system restore then, this is the first time i heard of the game affecting the system in general outside the game itself.

How did that happen?

How does it fry PS3s? It doesn't look that visually intensive compared to other games on the platform, or even other games that came out late in its lifespan

On a technical level perhaps, but Atlus USA are also the ones who from what I gather not only keep Japanese honorifics in English translations, but then add in more that weren't actually in the original script which makes absolutely zero fucking sense.

Keep in mind Japanese versions and Asian versions are different, apparently a lot of Asian releases get English as an option when the Japanese games don't. That said, you really need to learn Japanese anyway, because depending on anyone else's translations but your own is a bad idea, and that's for the games that even get them in the first place.

It had a few bugs with a few skills that caused the PS3 to completely lock up and/or crash to the PS3 dashboard. Some older PS3s actually bricked because of it.

It was such poor programming that it basically created a loop with the fire effects, overheating the RSX to the point of critical shutdown.
That's right, a game with 2D sprites that'd look at home on a PS2 can bring the whole RSX to its knees thanks to NISA's carelessness.

How did NISA not find this out though?

I remember Disgaea D2 crashed when I attacked a monster named ???.

Yes, however at least the games get released and work, that's something.
Also it will probably use the original Odin Sphere localization for the most part, it's already there.

Being a Basara fan makes you start to appreciate the simple joy of being able to purchase a game in a language you can understand without printing down a fucking guide just to navigate the menus.
Atlus releases might not be perfect but at least it's comprehensible english and the game fucking works.

That's one ugly cover art holy shit, looks really lazy and amateurish, like someone picked random concept art and put some ugly font with a long ass name on top.

A lot of weeb games are broken as shit on localization.
I think it was Legend of Heroes that permanently killed my old PSP memory stick.

See, I just went ahead and learned Japanese because there aren't any good localizations for the handful of games that get them to begin with.

I think the word 'testing' disappeared from their dictionary.

Seriously, how could they not find the terribly stupid crash on Mana Khemia 2's first quest boss with Ulrika?

The usual NISA fuckups (MK, AT2, et al) are text overflow issues when they reinsert their scripts. WatHK is still a mystery to me, and DD2 was also text related, but the fire effects left hanging were responsible for burning the PS3 down.

It's absolutely the superior options, but learning a new language is pretty damn hard.
My english is entirely self taught and it wasn't an easy road, japanese as a language is way harder and more complex.

Sometimes i wish more companies would just go the Koei route, release niche games in the west digitally with only menus and subtitles in english, leaving the original japanese voices.
It's a pretty decent compromise compared to importing and relying on the community to translate simple things just to play the series you love.

Ah, well, your English is damn good for a second language, so much kudos to you. My Japanese isn't even half as good though and I can play most games just fine, so I would say it's worth a shot anyway.

you must learn nip user, do it for the love of vidya.

Maybe I should try to learn japanese again now that my super weeab friend has come back from living two years in japan.

Whenever NISA releases a good game with a competent translation/no game crashing bugs/no censorship, you can get away with buying it without a price drop (for all its worth, considering that's basically just Disgaea sans D2 and Hotaru No Nikki, lol).

Punish NISA for bad things, reward them for good things. This shit actually worked with Idea Factory International the one time they screwed up, and they've since unfucked themselves and are pretty much one of the best examples of a localization team.

you might ruin your ps3 because sexy witch makes you cum all over your console

Metallica gives me a huge enough boner that I definitely might. For now just waiting on the inevitable Vita port that will be a thousand times better.

Wasn't Re;Birth 3's translation just as Doerr'd as 2's was? I remember reading that a translation project was pushed for that title as well.

Or maybe not. I don't really give a shit about Nep games; I just don't like it when games get translations so shitty that fans have to step up and correct that shit.

Where's the 34s?

i can relate

Yes, both RB;2 and 3 have bad translations thanks to Doerr, anons here have retranslated 2 and are almost done fixing 3.

See, now that kind of thing is fucked up, letting someone like Doerr just drag his unwashed ass through TWO games, despite people bitching about the second game's translation.

the Rebirth games are just remakes of the ps3 nep games, so they just reused his script.
You would be surprised how many people enjoy his meme-filled script.

I totally forgot Witch and Crown came out the same day. Truly a boobalicious day.