When is the last time a game set a standard for you?

When is the last time a game set a standard for you?

Every so often, not so much in the modern age of hyper homogenised design, you experience a mechanic or idea that may be a big deal or a small change but its so good you expect it as the norm from the genre or even medium going on.

Whats that for you?

For me its Splinter Cell and shooting out lights. I'm not the biggest splinter cell fan and never touched the sequels, but the concept of a stealth game where you create your own dark areas, but risk alerting guards with breaking glass was fantastic. Now i play a stealth game or game with stealth elements breaking lights or trying to first. Things like Metro or MGSV do it fantastically. Things like dishonoured? not so much.

I honestly cant remember.

I'm sorry user, i'm so sorry.

Flushing toilets

I understand completely.

Guild Wars set the standard for what an MMO should be in my eyes.

I never got to see WoW pre-WotLK, but from what I saw of the game after the fact, I can't imagine even Vanilla was comparable to the glory of Guild Wars. And that's before considering that while WoW just got worse with every release, Guild Wars only got better. There was no grind, unless you wanted vanity items. You couldn't really pay-to-win the way you could in other games, though there were some nice unlockables and a lot of things a devoted player could use. The world design was interesting, and enemies took advantage of the same skills you had. You could play it on your own using NPCs, or take on greater challenges with the help of other players.

There was never a sequel, unfortunately.

I dunno, i swear some desktop cash shop interface was released a few years ago…

after playing older games I seriously can't stand anything with company logos longer than a second. seriously, if you put in Mario on the NES it starts instantly.

Dark souls 1. But I don't play many games.

As funny as it sounds, Pokken Tournament made me realize that the fighting game genre has stagnated as all fucking shit.

The game is pretty fuckin cool. And while I am dubious as to it's competitive longevity, it made me realize that fighters are regressing pretty bad.

1. Fighters mostly hold back with their characters, instead of giving their characters insane "broken" shit. MvC2 got away with it. Pokken gets away with it. It's fun shooting projectiles everywhere that just fill the screen with garbage.

2. The dynamic nature of the 3D to 2D switching, and back and forth, adds this huge element of strategy that is just awesome. It makes the matches feel really alive, the best way I can describe it.

3. The characters all feel really different. There are a few which feel basically the same. But for the most part they are quite varied. Especially at the higher levels. I was surprised how often I felt like "I didn't think you could play the character like that."

4. Fighting games seem to have this problem of balance, but some like guilty gear give "skeletons" to the fighters which have all the tools to keep the game from getting broken. This game does the same thing with the attack/grab/counter system. Thus both homogenizing the moves for better balance, while letting them stay heterogenized.

5. Online play. I don't know why but I only noticed lag once, and it was right before a disconnect. And it takes only a few seconds to get a match. I have no idea why other fights suffer so badly in this regard. I literally mean a few seconds. Like someone said that about SF5 recently and they said "well I mean like, a minute". In pokken I literally mean it takes just a few seconds. It gives you a count down timer from 10 when you hit go. It usually takes to about 7 before I get a match.

After Pokken I've felt a little disillusioned by fighting games. Specifically capcom ones. Just seems like the fighting game genre is refusing to change or exploit it's design space.

Crypt of the Necrodancer. It's a shit dungeon crawler where you only move around. You attack by moving onto an enemy. It's much less shit when you throw in the fact that you have to do it to the beat of the music, and enemies all have their own patterns. It's like Chess and Serious Sam had a baby, and it gets hectic later on. I'm starting to get the fucking Tetris effect from it

There's also Splatoon, which is great because it focuses less on the players and more on their impact. A player can run away all match and just clean up after the enemy, and he could be the best guy on your team for it. Also you can tape a Wiimote to the Pro controller for gyro in multiplayer.

There's also Half Life 2, from ages ago. The physics was mindblowing. Run out of ammo? Grab that saw from the wall and use it. Enemy throws a grenade at you? Grab it and chuck it right back. HL2 did physics really well, and it really opens your mind to what you're capable of, aside from shooting guns at enemies.

Bravely Second. It's how a modern, 2016 JRPG should be made.

Put that aside and look at the comfy mechanics of the game

NieR set a pretty good standard of how action JRPGs should be for me

Yakuza 5 set a standard on how a story should NOT end.

Its a fantastic game, shame catmancer is garbage.

Nier has shit combat.

your mom has a shit son but you don't see me complaining.

FUKKEN GOTTEM

Punch-Out!! for the Wii.

Undeniably the best game for a long time.

It's not even a JRPG either

You need to go back to neofag, nigger. No matter how good the game is, they took out endings and are deciding what is appropriate for other people's eyes. I'll finish my playthrough of Bravely Default and never bother with the series again.

pirate or import and patch nigger, just dont support NoA or squenix west

It's nice to see that won't be the case for Nier: Automata. And no one appreciated Nier for its combat.

The story was decent, but it's not as good as everyone likes to pretend. The only thing you could say it set the standard for was soundtracks. I'm a huge fan of Nier, but it's deeply flawed in every aspect other than the music.

This one is gonna sound weird and fairly autistic, but one element of making builds in the souls games (other than 2) that likely wasn't even intentional:

When you make a build, you have to carefully consider the level because if you want to make a coop build for a certain area you have to make sure the character is in the range of levels that other players might be in that area, and thus you have to decide carefully about what you level up since it will always be limited. In an RPG like a TES game there is no limit, and eventually you will become the master of everything just by playing a lot so all builds homogenize into the same thing, and while that's technically possible and was probably the way these games were intended to work in late game, in practice everyone limits themselves to at most whatever the PVP meta is.

I don't even like the multiplayer in those games, but I like to use the arbitrary limit as an excuse to think carefully about builds. There are not a lot of other RPGs that do this, and for that I find it impossible to care about builds in any game other than a select few like the souls games or a strangely better example: Armored Core, where you could theoretically pump mad money into a mech for a mission but that'd mean that if you fucked it up you would lose quite a bit, so there is incentive to make a build that is just expensive enough to get you through the mission, and this amount will change drastically depending on what you're doing which will force you to reevaluate your plan.

Pic related and world design. You know the old, OOLD days of RPGs, when developers would sit on the same engine for two or three generations, just churning out glorified expansion pack scenarios, maybe also dropping a scenario editor? Spiderweb's games, the Exile series especially, is sort of like that, except it's shareware made by one dude.

With each game, the world kept getting bigger and bigger, its scale in the player's mind augmented by the split between the worldmaps (PLURAL) and the towns/dungeons. This reached its peak in the third game, where the author decided to extend beyond the multilayer underground world already bigger than most games, and add an entire continent. This, aside from towns and dungeons, was covered by obstacles, odd little encounters, and carefully sculpted terrain full of hidden areas. The same attention was given to towns and dungeons, each humongous yet tightly packed with NPCs, monsters, items, traps, and secrets. On top of all this was elaborate scripting which applied widespread changes to the world based on the amount of time that the villains' plans had been in motion, and the player's actions. All handmade, all one dude.

If an AAA studio could do something like that, with a team of devs like that, the results would be incredible.

The genre really went to hell after Ultima Online, didn't it?

Ah yes, Vogel's swan song. At the time I didn't realize this and Blades of Exile were the last good thing he would make.

Okay, Geneforge was cool too, but Avernum's total awfulness still stings.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R ballistics, design and atmosphere.

Actually, I agree with Vogel himself on the matter, my favorite of his games is Nethergate but that might just be because I'm half potatonigger. It has basically everything Exile did, plus almost an entire extra mirror campaign, innovative new character mechanics, all in a story with passionate attention to historical and mythical detail.

age of empires 2 for generic fun RTS
Mount & Blade for fun/replayability

Never, because I was never a nigger. Higher celebral function of us whites allows us to constantly pursue ideals even before a concrete example is provided to us. Thus, we realize the value of different things separately, and can far more greatly enjoy it when they are combined succesfully to complement each other.

But I guess you'd never eat a meal that doesn't have both watermelon and chicken wings mixed in it, would you, nigger?

Leave these fair lands and crawl back to your torture chamber
>>>Holla Forums

Left and right click firing two seperate guns, like in Call of Juarez. I feel like there's no point to dual wielding if you don't have that.

About two months ago when I played DOOM for the first time.
I haven't been able to put it down since. Been going through mods and wads and it's just fantastic.

I've been gaming since 1992 and to this day I have not found a better FPS than DOOM.
Sure System Shock 2 has the story and STALKER has the atmosphere, but they don't even come close to the sheer enjoyment I get from the core gameplay of DOOM.

Last year with

It set a new standard for price:content ratio. It had a smaller budget that so many other games yet delivered hugely on content, playtime, replayability, features, platform support, DRM-free purchase options, frequently on sale. The combat actually has some depth to it. It's beautiful and fun to explore, genuinely creepy at times. I can play it on Linux DRM free with steam users on windows or whatever else via direct IP connect. On steam it supports the overlay way of inviting people if one chooses that.

Terraria is one of the few modern games that I constantly point to for standards in other modern games. There's few-hour walking simulators that ask for more than twice the price of Terraria that really put things into perspective.

Maybe Red Faction, sort of don't know why there are still run & gun & drive & fly games without absolute destruction at this point.

Mah niggah. I recently found DOOM again myself. I only played it for a small amount once but recently bought it on GOG and then played it via GZDoom on Linux. Fucking fantastic. Just how fast it boots up makes me smile. Perfect for playing between checking on your dinner cooking.

That's probably not a very good example, since it provides an answer to that question: Even if technology makes such a thing possible, level designers are too retarded to take advantage of it.

Yeah, too lazy to take advantage of it, I suppose. Bad Company went alright with it, though. Nothing quite like laying everything flat and being a sneak fuck hiding in the rubble or just tanking it the fuck up.

Dark Souls by far. But the thing is, there's not really other companies who make games anything like Dark Souls. So until there are, it's kind of a hollow victory.

Tip your fucking fedora a little lower, you god damn pseudo-intellectual piece of shit.

the classic

Red Faction had more than just destruction wasted, it also had good rigid body physics that weren't taken advantage of. Not to mention both the lack of coop in the campaign, and of vehicles in multiplayer. Game could've been the PS2's Halo-killer.

It's okay if you sage, and don't clog up the whole thread.

I'm not sure anyone's done broken glass quite that well, either. The RF games always had great tech but not much game to wrap around it. Kind of flavor of the week premises in every installment.

I will do that on mine user, if I ever make a barrel. After all, it's fucking easy to do this, this took at most 10 minutes to do

Left 4 Dead set the bar high for smooth procedural animation and AI, which countless other shooters have walked underneath for the past 8 years.

Can we talk about bad standards too?

This game set so many standards. I'd say it was revolutionary. Most shit in modern RPGs started here.

I like the game, but that's certainly true:
Every NPC was voice acted, relied on quest markers to help you navigate, and level scaling to keep the game "balanced"

I remember thinking that fapping to futa without a female involved is gay and that I shouldnt do it.
Failing miserably at that, I cant remember anything else.

this, I have to carefully consider my sl whenever I make a new pvp build

if you bothered to read past that response instead of screaming at anything you don't like and calling it Holla Forums you'd realize the thread kept going on fine.

Mega Man Battle Network.
You don't need to have standstill shit when you can have a healthy mix of skill and strategy combined.

time to up the dosage.

Only Holla Forums autists get mad at racist posts. Nobody else gives a shit. Have you never been on an imageboard before? The more easily butthurt faggots flip out about people saying nigger, the more people are going to say it.

Wow, look at all these whites over here who cannot tell how a nice, cohesive experience has value over throwing every halfway decent mechanic in one kitchen sink.

Must be the eurasian slant-headedness that's causing it.