Gothic horror

How do you take such a neat premise and go full indigo prophecy tier bed shitting like this?

By giving the license to the people who made one of the first walking simulators (Dear Esther)

ask walking simulator devs to make a game and they will give you a walking simulator

To be fair, the first Amnesia was also a trashy walking simulator, and they made it themselves.

If you want a similar sort of setting but actual good gameplay and story, hit up Thief 1/Gold, Thief 2, Thief 2X, Thief DS, their assorted fan missions, and of course The Dark Mod.

This is how

Oh you poor soul, go download it right now

There's that opinion again. It was very different from walking simulators, it was just a different take on horror. And it makes sense that someone would eventually try it.

What makes Silent Hill scary but not DOOM? Silent Hill is slow, combat is clunky, and the atmosphere is tense.

But the key sticking point here really is the combat. If you replaced James with doomguy and instead of slowly walking around silent hill you were running like sonic the fucking hedgehog and blasting faggots with the shotgun, all that atmosphere and tension would be worthless to try and scare the player.

So the feeling of helplessness when confronted with enemies is what they were trying to accomplish in the Dark Decent. The reason it wasn't a walking simulator was that there was actual danger in the game (in MFP you could just run forward whenever one of the 4 monsters came and be a ok) the levels had slightly better than average for '10 complexity and there were puzzles.

But yeah every Thief game is better than either game.

At least Indigo Prophecy had that cool Matrix fight and you knocking up a hot chick.

With your cold rigid zombie cock.

oie k riko

I'd say it definitely was a walking simulator. It had a couple basic puzzles, to its credit, but that's about it. I think its main failing was in being a linear corridor deal relying heavily on scripted enemies (I remember jumping on and off a ladder and making an enemy repeatedly despawn and respawn just around a corner) and on "checkpoint" style saves that didn't record the exact game state and allowed you to just bypass some enemies altogether by dying to them once, like the first one you encounter after the lift.

Well first of all you made it a walking simulator like Amnesia.

Fair enough, I agree that a game with no combat should have had an autistic level of detail in level design. When I first played that it thought was an interesting idea in the horror genre which by that point had devolved into resident evil 5 and silent hill fucking homecoming,

Clock Tower had ended, fucking Penumbra Overture came out, and the bazinga had already started. I guess i was just happy to have some sort of innovation. It sucks what the series has spawned though. I guess in the end, that game's value wasn't worth spawning lets players and Pewdiepie and that shit.

Since when has removing features ever been innovation?

Fuck'm. Straight fuck'm.

those are dangerous words user, you might accidentally refer to something that you don't intend to

Chinese.
Room.

What part of the story was cliche? The rich guy going to South America to find immortality, goes crazy, comes back and starts killing all of his rich friends to fuel some kind of blood temple? Yeah, you're right, it's been done to death, famalam. Contrived as fuck, am I right?

I'm still astounded at all the butthurt Quiet created, and at no point has anyone asked Joosten her take on it.

I don't mind walking sims if they're done by Frictional, personally. I still think that Penumbra Black Plague is the best game they've done. I only wish that they don't make more games with a castle setting, I just don't find that kinda thing interesting.

By whining about fictional sexism while stealing all the credit from your IRL wife