With Nvidia making massive performance gains over the previous generation of GPUs and AMD boasting the same to be...

With Nvidia making massive performance gains over the previous generation of GPUs and AMD boasting the same to be revealed in less than a month, where does that put the current gen consoles?

Other urls found in this thread:

amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/press-release-2016apr21.aspx
archive.is/xXc8R
origin.com/en-ie/great-game-guarantee
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

With Vega perhaps, but don't expect that shit until 2017.

don't you have google, faggot?

They haven't introduced anything remotely massive since 2010 when their designated CUDA towers lost traction with science crowds.

All the "twice as fast" shit only applies to their VR trick.

The actual 1070 is on par with a TitanX (and will probably be slightly slower for normal use when they benchmark it)

Don't you? All signs point towards the Polaris cards being mainly cheaper die shrinks of the current cards. Don't expect massive performance gains outside of that until Vega.

you're fucking retarded

In the trash, along with the majority of their shit exclusives, where they've been since they were released.

But in all honesty, processing power doesn't matter when you have propagandists on the payroll to convince idiots that the ability of laptop hardware is akin to quantum computing.

As long as Nvidia jews up the market as much as they do right now, they might fucking cure AIDS and I wouldn't care. They need to fail and die. They aren't just cancer, they're the metastasis.

Prove it faggot.

you just did, dumbass

I just want to know if I should wait to upgrade my 660ti or not. It was giving me 30, 40 and sometimes dips to 20fps while running Witcher 3 in water or too close to a fire.

And it has trouble with blur and dust in MGSV. In fact, it kinda has trouble with blur in general.

Exactly where they was, fucking subhuman trash

I love that this gen look like will be a real "new" gen instead of a retarded 5% perfomance increase but consoles NEVER had to compete with fucking computers, I have pretty much all of them and I will buy a 1070 when it comes out, using only one system is for trash and fanboys

So, go to fanboy wars and muh master race muh console exclusives bullshit to halfchan, retard

If you have anything which disproves what I'm saying about Polaris you are welcome to post it, but if all you're going to do is throw around kindergarten-tier insults around you might as well just delete the thread and try again.

you sound a bit triggered

why don't you post on your tumblr about it instead?

Forgot your meds.

listen, you colossal moron. you made a ridiculous claim and the burden of proof lies solely on you, you fucking brain dead shithead.

if more than a dozen sites like anandtech and TPU claim that polaris is a new arch, then you have to find a proof to back your shitposting. oh that's right, you can't. because your parents are closely related and you had to survive cerebral palsy. just fuck off with your shit tier baiting.

What do i do?

So does this new card use Pascal? I thought they were having problems with it and DX12.

None of the new jewvidia cards will have HBM and the only one to even make improvements is 1080 with GDDR5X with it's 2x bandwidth (which != 2x performance. Not even close).
Memory bandwidth is the current performance bottleneck across the board, VR included. All this core wankery does is enable more lavish bloom&gloom fragment shaders.
I predict the usual 10% FPS gain in the 60 region with at most 5% in the 120+ and as usual literally no reason to upgrade if you're 2 gens or less behind (7x/R9).

On another note, what's up with all these jewvidia shilling threads lately? My first guess was paid shills, but it doesn't seem like I'm talking with marketers. Has Holla Forums just sunk so low that people genuinely buy into the market hype? Are there people around me right now that engage in brand loyalty? Am I on cuckchan?

To my knowledge, the PS4 processes at 1.8 TFLOPS while the Xbox One processes at 1.26 TFLOPS, making the 1080 50% more powerful than the PS4 and 71% more powerful than the Xbox One.

I also said

I asked where does that put the future of the current gen consoles.

No, you're off your meds. GPU advancement and consoles are closely related to gaming, dumbass.

You're trying way too hard to fit in.

no, it's called replying. now eat shit and die

amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/press-release-2016apr21.aspx
>AMD demonstrated its “Polaris” 10 and 11 next-generation GPUs, with Polaris 11 targeting the notebook market and “Polaris” 10 aimed at the mainstream desktop and high-end gaming notebook segment. “Polaris” architecture-based GPUs are expected to deliver a 2x performance per watt improvement over current generation products and are designed for intensive workloads including 4K video playback and virtual reality (VR)
Notice the lack of any Enthusiast level Polaris 10/11 cards. Notice how they chose their words carefully when they said "2x performance per watt".

archive.is/xXc8R

Long story short, Polaris 10 will have cheaper cards at around 390/390x performance levels and increased efficiency. Polaris is AMD's attempt at increasing the number of VR-ready mainstream gaming rigs. Vega is the high-end, HBM2 solution and won't be out until 2017. Hell Polaris may not even be using GDDR5X.

Stop being a bitch that buys things based on how flashy the name is and wait for benchmarks, then compare and choose the product that gives the best performance at your price point.

GUISE, GIB TIPS!!!

Forgive me for being out of the loop, but last I heard about HBM, AMD was having difficulty getting past 4 or 8 gigs.

Also, I doubt that there's any brand loyalty to corporations. There are probably shills. Who could be such a faggot?

Do you plan on playing modern games?

Well… yeah…

I'm waiting for that cyberpunk2077 game and I also want to make my own games

Do you understand that you just got BTFO by yourself, you reading comprehension failure double nigger?

Where in those articles did you manage to find "die shrinks of the current cards"? Nowhere, because you can't shrink shit to 14nm FinFET.

Taylor was talking about their mid range cards and you managed to take it out of the context because you're too stupid to realize that Pascal is the high end part that can't run HBM2, that doesn't mean that Polaris won't have a high end part.

Oh and in case you don't know what AMD mean by 'enthusiast', 'mainstream', etc.:

Fury and Fury X are enthusiast-class.
Mainstream class only goes as high as the 390x. So when they say Polaris 10 will be "Mainstream desktop" at best, they mean Polaris 10 cards will replace the 390x at best.

Yeah, AMD had issues with HBM, to the point where Polaris won't be using either HBM or HBM2 (Vega should be HBM2 though). They may use GDDR5X for a couple of Polaris 10 cards but that's the best we'll see this year (hell even on Nvidia's side only the 1080 will have GDDR5X, though GP100 i.e. the next Titan is supposed to have HBM2 memory).

See above. Big Pascal will use HBM2.

Vega is to Polaris as Big Pascal is to Pascal. Vega is the high end part.

That is correct. Still, 8 is not bad. HBM1 has a lot of issues, the size being one and the fact that it's nowhere near the promised bandwidth increases. Still better than even GDDR5X, but not the 9x I think I read somewhere. They're hoping to fix it with the next version though. I think what happened is they just pushed the tech out a year too early, since AMD really wanted it for their R9 Fury.

You're discussing performance of unbenchmarked hardware. That's on the same level as being hype for early access. Also, posting marketing material in your OP is a prime indication of shilling. Either way, the second paragraph was more of a general statement, being prefaced with "On another note" and all. Though I guess that one flew right over your head.

>making video games
Kidding on the last one. Go for it, fag.

That's disappointing. I was excited about HBM especially since I regrettably have a GTX 970. Do we know how big of a difference there will be in bandwidth between HBM2 and GDDR5X?

I'm following it to see how it's going to be, but if it starts throwing stronk womyn, nigger on cover advertising and pre-order dlc at men I'm dropping it.

Anyway, I think I'll just save up some money and wait to see what amd has to show.

It really sucks having played at 60 frames going down to 40 and 30 really makes me feel uneasy.

Off the top of my head I believe GDDR5X has effectively twice the bandwidth of GDDR5 while HBM2 is something absurd like 9-10x GDDR5.

GDDR5X is almost as fast as HBM and cheaper and easier to produce given its similarity to GDDR5, which is probably why Nvidia (and most likely AMD as well) are going with GDDR5X this time around for their higher-end offerings.

Which is quite realistic given the fact that we've gone from 28nm to 16 and 14nm FinFET, respectively.

False analogy, faggot. The cards for both companies are in production, otherwise they wouldn't be making as bold claims given the fact that both of them are publicly traded.

I'll have the images of cards in a month. I was asking a question until you gpu wars cocksuckers started with the aspie shitfit.

You're fucking retarded.

The question was

WHAT HAPPENS NOW TO THE CONSOLES THAT HAVE SHIT FOR EXCLUSIVE TITLES AFTER 3 YEARS AND WITH THE PC MARKET SKYROCKETING IN PERFORMANCE DUE TO 14NM FINFET GOING TO THE GPU MASKS YOU FUCKING FAGGOT

WILL THEY BE ABLE TO COMPETE FOR DEVELOPER RESOURCES NOW THAT A SINGLE $300 GPU THAT YOU WILL BUY COME SEPTEMBER CAN MOP THE FLOOR WITH BOTH PS4 AND XBONE

WHO IS WILLING TO SHELL OUT $60 FOR A GAME THAT RUNS ON SILKY SMOOTH 20FPS @ 720P WHILE PC GAMERS ARE ALL HEADING TO 4K

I love chans. I loved 4chan before moot cucked it for some luggage, I love Holla Forums even though posting is still mostly broken. I love it because people can talk freely. Well at least they could on 4chan before, not now.

But I don't respect any of you paranoid faggots. Not everyone is a shill. Not everyone is buying into the hype. I just wanted to hear opinions on the future of the hobby because it seems to me that the technology has already murdered the current gen and that every system bought now looks like a wasted investment. What kind of implications could that have on the video game development in the future? Are we looking forward to only shitty VR games and waifu simulators?

But I can't do that. I always get talked over by aspie cunts screaming SHILL whenever some technology gets mentioned, even though gaming is extremely dependent on it and has always been. And gaming has always been dependent on consoles, whether PC bros like it or not. You're a cunt, and you're not even aware of it. That's sad.

I'm off to bed and you faggots can suck my cock.

I think the more interesting question is whether any of this new GPU tech is finding its way into the next-gen consoles.

The power consumption numbers on the lower-end Polaris look right up Nintendo's alley.

Still behind where they always were
I have a hunch that the next gen of consoles for microsoft and sony is coming soonish, 8th gen doesnt seem like it'll last that long which is disappointing seeing how moving to 7th gen felt like a huge jump

Also I feel your pain regarding the 970. I also bought one of these pieces of shit (though I bought mine well before the gimped VRAM was discovered).

Pushing a 1440p monitor on a 970 was already asking a bit much but then to find out it's only effectively 3.5GB as well? Blegh.

I'm not entirely sure what you were expecting Holla Forums of all places to say. For a lot of us the consoles may as well not even exist. I know that's how I feel at least.

As for how the consoles will fare.. I believe the PS4.5 is probably a sign of things to come. Consoles may start emulating PCs in that there will soon be multiple tiers of the same console, with higher tiers coming out as tech improves.

When industry figures say seemingly stupid shit like 'there won't be any new consoles next generation', I think this might be what they mean - the same damned consoles continuously re-released with incremental upgrades and paraded around as 'game-changers'.

It leaves consoles on top. Nobody develops high end PC games any more. There hasn't been a proper PC-focused step-up since Crysis in 2007. All the new hardware will get you is developers doing lazier ports, targeting the newest hardware to neglect optimization, and even then, all you'll be getting is multiplatform games.

The PC exlusives that are there are very low-end, either early previous gen level 3D visuals like in Mount & Blade Bannerlord, or poorly optimized, 30FPS 2D visuals like in hyperlight drifter.

Consoles have 2012 laptop tier specs that are outperforming the top PC games, simply because the developers are incentivized to get the most out of that hardware. They are budgeted to make the best looking and best playing and performing games they can for that platform, they're focused and are expecting a huge return in sales they usually get. This environment doesn't exist on the PC, so it doesn't happen there. There's no one who runs the platform saying "hey, we want you to make this game great, and make it just for us, and we'll provide technical support to make sure it happens. The marketing, the budgeting, don't worry about that. Let us know if you need more time too." That doesn't exist on the PC. At best, you have Nvidia or AMD lazily saying "oh just use our middleware to make sure it works on our wide range of hardware!" and all you get is shit like gameworks shitting itself onto your machine. For games that aren't even that good, or can be played on other platforms, making the investment pointless.

I'm planning on building a new PC, but for the first time I'm not doing it to play video games. The games I will play on it are either very old, or just low spec. I'm upgrading for general performance, faster storage, more memory, more displays, extracting and creating archives, encoding.

5X is a little behind HBM1 and most people seem to say HBM2 will have double the bandwidth. That's kinda bleak compared to the 9x or more compared to GDDR5 that was originally said (we're only at a bit more than 4x atm). I'm guessing they're sprinkling the tech out so they can get more units sold in the long run and recoup R&D costs.
For reference, here are the bandwidths:
Note that the Ti is a bit unfair. GDDR5 can currently do higher clocks than 5X and 5 also has a 384bit wide bus against the 256 bit bus of 5X. It's possible higher clocks and wider busses will come to 5X, same applying to HBMx.

pic related

You can demo it thought
origin.com/en-ie/great-game-guarantee

Serious Sam 3 was PC focused.

What if there's only like 3 games I want that I can't have on PC?