Favorite covers

Thread's pretty self-explanatory, post some of your favorite comic covers.

always liked this one, dont know why

Always nice to see the hero actually struggling on the cover. Moreso when it's making the antagonist look awesome instead of just being on top at the moment like Batman covers sometimes do
The story for this issue was pretty good too. The boxer is a galactic superstar of the ring, but all he hears about wherever he goes is GL. Sick of it, he forces a match.

Often imitated….but still my favorite cover. Well, that and Megatron doing that Killing Joke cover.

I wonder if Maguire's tired of drawing this damn thing yet.

Grendel has had some of my favorite covers.

Anything Alex Ross really.

I can't believe that wasn't the first thing i thought about.

The man's a living legend that relies a bit too much on models.

If he produces stuff like that, I say let him.

Never heard of it, is it any good?

Generally, yes. The thing is, Grendel has been a lot of different kinds of comics over the years, with lots of different protagonists. The early stuff (and some of the later stuff) is about Hunter Rose, an amoral novelist who moonlights as an assassin for fun. He eventually takes over organized crime in New York. Eventually he gets killed, and the next Grendel series was about his granddaughter (sort of), who adopts the Grendel identity to become a vigilante when her son is kidnapped. The name passes to a few different people like that, each one using it in their own way and for their own reasons. Then the title moves into the distant future, where a visionary power broker adopts "Grendel" as a name for his elite warriors. After that, the comic mostly consisted of short, self-contained arcs focusing on one Grendel (or one group of them) at a time.

All the main stuff is written by Matt Wagner, though the future arcs in Grendel Tales had different writers. They seem to be republishing a lot of it recently in omnibus editions, but you might start by checking out Grendel: Devil by the Deed, a graphic novel about Hunter Rose's life, criminal career, and death, written as an in-universe book by his granddaughter.

I want to see him paint over a Joe Mad cover.

Got a torrent?

Also, fucking obligatory.

nice!

I always liked this one, mainly because it's so fucked up.

Reminder that DC released a Justice League International omnibus recently

Few off the top of my head, and the top of my folder.

Sorry, I do not.

This was actually a pretty fun comic.

The crossovers with Batman and The Shadow are amazing, probably the best crossover comics ever.

Appreciate it.

I haven't read the Shadow/Grendel crossover yet, but I loved Batman/Grendel. Matt Wagner has such a great grasp on Batman, and I love his layouts.

A lot of people don't know this, but there were two Batman/Grendel crossovers, one with Hunter Rose, and one with Grendel Prime.

I didn't like the Grendel Prime one as much. It wasn't as smart and fun as the first.

Story within is mediocre, but the cover is great.

This can be applied to most Big Two output.

Mmmmm… Jim Balent art

Deadpool's thanksgiving painting needs to be a cover…

Just a few that come to mind. Really i could post almost all of Frank Miller's Daredevil covers, they're incredibly iconic.

Ellis made it a special point that each cover for Planetary would have a unique logo style and art aesthetic. Seriously underrated cover work here. A quick sampling of just a few of the very best.

More

Pretty much anything Bradstreet touches is gold, especially his punisher stuff.

Can't forget Glenn Fabry's Preacher work.

Man, 80s/90s 2000AD had great art

Not enough Lobo in this thread.

Hey Holla Forums

Hey /sodomite/

Hey Holla Forums

Anything by Ross is fine by me.

Tintin covers are great.

They're amongst the most memorable I've seen.

That's the edit, you psychopath.

What's Joker doing there?

One my favorite covers, and comics, of all time. And seasonal!

Th…This cover makes me uncomfortable…

Really like this Elijah Snow cover.

Out of somewhat recent American comics, these are probably my favourites. Locke and Key and Witch Doctors give you an exact sense of mood that you will see in the story. Besides being skillfully done, they also give you very good idea of the premise of the story.
Saucer country is not done as skillfully as other ones, and might be a bit vague on what to expect besides aliens and men in black. However, the tie turning into a reticulan hand and using a shirt and black coat as an abduction beam is pretty clever.

Out of somewhat recent American comics, these are probably my favourites. Locke and Key and Witch Doctors illustrate the mood of the story very well, and give you a good idea of the premise.
Saucer country is not drawn as well as the other ones, and is a bit vague on what to expect besides aliens and men in black. However, the tie turning into a reticulan hand and using a shirt and black coat as an abduction beam is pretty clever.

Not sure why they're favorites, they just are.

Just ran across this one.

Damn, Santa thicc as fuck.

the eyes energy is foil, and that's badass enough, but what sells this is the little touch in the upper left corner

Who let the failed elementary kid on an image board?

That's pretty glorious.

I can almost see it.

user, you were the failure all along.

Neat.

I still fucking miss Witch Doctor.

This cover sold me my first Wizard mag.

That Batman cover is classic.