Can anyone explain to me what made Silent Hill 2 so good to everyone? I've seen gameplay clips...

Can anyone explain to me what made Silent Hill 2 so good to everyone? I've seen gameplay clips, and its honestly not haunting in the slightest. At times it even seems more unintentionally funny than scary. Am I missing something?

I think SH2 is probably hard to appreciate unless you're playing it. I've been playing it recently as I've been picking up old PS2 games to play now that I found an old CRT TV on the side of the road and SH2 has unbelievably good atmosphere. You're just soaked in this depressing and creepy environment.

Basically to like SH2 you need a brain, a heart and a set of balls, all things you lack, being a perma pleb until the day you die.

Atmosphere is not transferred well from playing to watching.

You have to play it for feel the pressure. Dunno why, but unless you're the one playing survival horror you don't feel anything, much less if you just watch.

I'll borrow this thread since I have a slightly related question.
I want to play Resident Evil 0 and 1 HD. I finished 1 before but never played 0. Should I play RE 0 first or 1? Chronologically speaking and stuff.
Pretty sure everything that happened to Rebeca in RE 0 is prior to RE 1, but still I have that doubt.

You sicken me

Playing a horror game and watching someone play a horror game are nowhere near the same thing

The same is true of any game, but especially of horror

Its a unique case where every part of the game just fit into the right place.

Thanks for stealing my dubs, hotwheels.

Try actually playing the game (finishing it) and then get back to us.

RE0 is before RE1 chronologically. Everything in RE0 happens before RE1 does. As far as Rebecca's story is concerned, how it goes is that she goes through the events of RE0 first, then ends up in the RE1 mansion directly after. If you're concerned about the story then you should play RE0 first, just know that it isn't as good of a game as RE1 is and there's some infuriating shit like the complete lack of item boxes.

you jus have to step it up, fam

Just like all of these instances, play in release order you fag. That's how the devs intended you to see the series. Nothing that happens in 0 carries over to 1 so you should just play them as they were released.

How young/new are you?

Shit. I usually heard how good RE0 is so I had high expectations, but that doesn't sound so good.

No faggot, that's how they cash the serie without thinking too much. They couldn't go on with so much sequels so the went with spin-off and prequels.
Playing in chronological order is how it is supposed to be told, if you don't believe go and do it with Devil May Cry.

What's the point of it being a prequel, then? Oh right, shekels.

I'd say he fucked up completely already. Once you watch it through you basically remove any element of surprise. He'll probably be way too comfortable and now just have to go through the motions to complete the game.

0 has some other annoying smaller shit going on in addition to that like Billy not being able to mix herbs, the shotgun and grenade launcher taking up two item slots, and pretty much anything related to the hookshot, but despite all of that I thought it was still an alright game. I'd say it's at least worth a pirate if you're unsure you'll like it. The item box thing isn't too bad since you can just dump all your shit in the main hall, but it gets kind of annoying having to backtrack to it all the time.

The vast majority of times they weren't even thinking of sequels or prequels when they made a game. They sure as fuck didn't write it and go "well we're making a prequel as the third game, so let's hold back something until then". They just expanded on things later. You're dumb as fuck if you actually think that every series of sequels and prequels was fully, or even at all, planned from the start. You don't wrote a story and expect people to start with the third part.

The only time playing the games in chronological order is good is if they all play the same. Which is, itself, probably bad.

If you play DMC in chronological order you'll just fuck yourself over because each game in release order builds on the gameplay of the last.

And that's exactly why you don't start with the third part, user. Even if the story is half assed and bad written, it would be more enjoyable if you play it chronologically.

I did imply that in my post, tho.

Of course, user, the sole reason I'm getting those.

(checked)
You can say the same about Arkham serie.
If you're in for the story then you should play it chronologically.
In RE case, gameplay seems irrelevant since I think RE 0 have the same or similar gameplay as 1.

I doubt it would be enjoyable at all to play the DMC series in the order of 3 < 1 < 2 < 4

I agree with you, user, gameplay wise it was a terrible example, but you can at least have a clue of what is going on by doing so.

Playing the game.

Yes, this. Especially in the prison
Easily my favorite part of the game.