Transportation during SHTF

This will REALLY make you think.

The people in California are really probably thinking right now thats for sure.

Its not just a meme its a warning.

Prepare

Don't think this deserves a thread, but it's always good to think about. Bikes are gay since you can only carry a backpack. Get out early, avoid highways and roads that lead to highways, and know the backroads.

What about motorcycles ?

Nice graphic but it's spelled BICYCLE.

If only they had boats…

I believe dirt bikes, ATVs and anything with 4WD will be the most valuable vehicles when SHTF. If shit actually hits the fan, the highways will be locked up. Hell, everything is just fine now and you still can't get around on freeways at noon.
To see evidence of how fucked transportation will be, just look at what happens when it snows south of Tennessee. It's complete chaos. People abandon their cars and nobody can go anywhere.
You're fucked. Your best bet is to have a stockpile of weapons and food when it goes down. The commodities that will save your ass and let you barter are guns, ammo, coffee, alcohol, simple medications and antibiotics, and food.
Basically, you're not going far if SHTF, kiddo. You will not be using major freeways to go anywhere. So if you are thinking about a SHTF vehicle, a four-wheeler or dirt bike might be your best options. Anything that you can drive that will let you avoid major highways, busy streets and main roads is infinitely more valuable than say… a honda civic.

Bullshit. You can put special packs on the back part of the frame, space in the middle triangle to mount stuff and I'm sure I've seen small packs on the front wheels.

Not to mention baskets you get for the handlebars.

See, I believe in both mobility and stockpiling, but I am semi partial to this setup. Lots of space, but can weave through quagmires like that. Only thing I'd change is make it less /k/ommando so that I don't look like a gearfag. GearQueers are always targeted.

Don't forget the built-in seat dildo. :^)
In all seriousness, a bike is a million times better than nothing. Plus unless you're a complete knuckle-dragging mongoloid, you can fix almost anything that would go wrong with them.

Even better, you can generally carry enough spare parts for a second bike easy enough, and if not then you can franken-bike together pieces from nearly ANY other bicycle of that type. Bicycles are valuable, don't underestimate them. Just make sure you're /fit/ before shtf

The only thing I don't like about them is how loud they are. You can hear most bikes from quite a distance. Not exactly smart if you're trying to be stealthy.
I've thought a lot about converting a mini-bike for SHTF. Most of the time, they just sound like lawnmowers or a generator and they definitely don't make you look like a GearQueer. If you were even discovered on one, most people would just think you put it together. Get one with a slightly larger engine than the standard 5HP - maybe an 8 or 10HP and it will easily go as fast as most cars. Plus they're incredibly easy to drive and even more maneuverable than a dirt bike.

True… Add a full-sized muffler on it and it'll be a little quieter than one of those fagio scooters picrelated.

If you live in a city and don't get out before cars are no longer viable you are already in a world of hurt. I'm opposed to city cuckery in general because I've hated them my entire life, but I understand the power they hold and why they are important. You should have friends or family with a farm/homestead/hunting or fishing camp in a rural area you can go to in case things go totally south. Have plans in already in place for what could happen in your area. Like if you in a basin,your levee is busted, and your town is going to flood; move all the expensive shit in your house to the second floor/attic. Dealing with insurance can be a pain in the fucking ass. Take two days off of work and go visit relatives outside of the city before it starts flooding. Then when it floods you're already in a decent position. This shit isn't rocket appliances.

If you're trying to figure out what you should do while in a shtf situation, you've already fucked up repeatedly. In an ideal world you'd never find yourself in one because you'd see it coming and avoid it. Of course that's for localized/regional happenings.

Also, don't forget that you can turn nearly any bicycle into a moped, for you out of shape faggots or anyone who might think they need to bike several hundred miles.
Pic related kit will cost you anywhere from 100-300 dollarydoos and will work with most bikes. It's basically an assist, for the most part. You get the bike up to speed and the small engine will keep you traveling that fast or slightly faster.

One of the best things about a bike is that it's basically silent. Those tiny engines can be heard for a mile in every direction.

The good thing about them, though, is that without the engine running, your bicycle is still a bicycle. So in the event that you don't want to use that small engine, you still have a fully functioning bicycle. Unlike a dirt bike or motorcycle, without the engine on, it's still plenty useful.

Good hiking boots you can jog in. Nothing else is more reliable as a form of transportation than your own two legs. Stay fit

To piggyback on your point about legs, you should also have plenty of socks in the clothing portion of your SHTF bags. Your fucking feet will destroy you if you don't take care of them. Keep your feet dry and clean and always have a fresh pair of socks.

Oh yeah?

The sound is a safety feature, not something inherent. Turns out most people on the road are fucking retards and you need to make bikes loud as shit to not get hit.

Yeah, I get the "loud pipes save lives" guys. But it is what it is. It's really hard to find quiet mufflers that are available for most bikes. Since Harleyfags love to wake the neighborhood up at 5am going to work, it's not an item I see too often.

I have a bike

Alternatively, if you have the money, solex bikes are reliable and still in production.

proud fixie owner checkin in

There is next to zero market for them since nobody wants to get hit by jamal while he lights up his blunt on the highway. Also who fucking gets up at 5 am for work but still works somewhere you can ride a harley? Every harley guy I knew wore a suit to work and you sure as shit can't ride a harley in one of those. I'm fully convinced that shit is just the meme from south park gone on too long.

if you are talking about the california situation even a bicycle might not safe you
the problem is most bikes require pretty good roads to use efficiently and expect in chaos that biking next to a carroad is pretty much suicide, than you are left with a mountainbike acros wild terrain, this is pretty intensive under the best of circumstance without carrying supplies on your back
if you have to take a single hill your bike speed will be far short of 13 mph
so as other anons have pointed out dirtbikes and the skill to use them are the way to go, with them you can make good distance on a variety of terrain even will carrying some supplies

I'm here to personally testify that living south of Detroit, there are quite a few dirtbags that ride harleys. The actual bikers don't bother me. The ones that bother me quite literally line up their Harleys on Jefferson next to our strip of locally owned restaurants and just hang out like a bunch of faggots comparing their chrome.
I'm not even kidding.
I'm not saying bikers are lazy bums, but quite a few of them are just boomers trying to find their youth. If any of them had any balls, they'd ride an old Triumph. Hell, I have more respect for the guys who ride the air cooled Jap bikes of the 70s than I do for the Harley riders tbh fam.

wouldn't a helicopter or a small plane like this be a lot better?

The only benefit of a car is if you get 48 hours advanced warning, then you can drive the fuck out of there before it happens. With a modified seaplane you could fly 3000 miles in any direction.

It's funny to read about planes from the 1920s being more efficient, faster and having longer flight distances than the diy/kit planes of today (150k~ USD price tags).

I even thought about buying one of those small choppers. I think they're like 30k or something, but you have to take 6 months worth of flight classes for like an additional 15k. In the end, it's probably not worth it.
But if you have the means to obtain and use a small plane or chopper, then by all means… YES. If anyone is left after SHTF you'd probably be one of the more important people in your area. You could trade flights for probably any commodity, not to mention keeping your own ass alive.

at big 5 sporting goods stores, PVC inflatable boats run from $100-$800 depending how big and company of the boat you are buying

whatever you do, keep your pistol.

other vid related gonna get you cracka

just be carefull of niggers, they're biologically prejudiced to stealing bikes. you're gonna wanna pack serious heat

You must have a shitty batch nearby, all the guys I know are constantly cracking jokes on the chromefags, they are like gearqueers to /k/. That said though the bikes do tend to attract a particular kind of pathetic douchebag, failed marriages are usually attached too. It's a shame the old culture is dying out though, it was unique and pretty god damned American.
I'll never get over the nigger harley gang we had a while back, it just doesn't look right. Like a kike samurai or something your mind just can't process what it's seeing.

Shit, living on the great lakes, I always see pontoons for sale for under 2k in great condition. I think a pontoon would be the ultimate in SHTF water vehicles. With just a little modification, you could easily live on a pontoon for a short time. Maybe even a long time, depending on whether or not you're able to hunt and fish from it.
Pic related, the guys mounted a pickup bed camper to a pontoon. Looks like they have quite a bit of weight capacity they could add if they wanted.

Niggers love Hayabusas though, where I'm from. That's the niggerest of all motorcycles. Damn shame, too. Without a nigger attached to them, they are pretty cool looking bikes.

Yeah I'm a fan

2nd one is LARPy as fuck

motorcycles in general is larping tbqh famalam

e-kits are more expensive but still an option. And silent.

I traveled the US from coast to coast on picrelated motorcycle, You can carry plenty enough gear for weeks and I didn't even overload it and mine got a good 40mpg. Use a 250cc and you can get 80. I don't think they're larpy, see Vietnam how many people use shitty little bikes for their daily driver.
I think if there was a shtf scenario I'd use my bike over the SUV just because of the gridlock, unless I had a preplanned route that avoided all roads.
Now that I think about it, using the SUV to just go cross-country is a good idea, but then again, I'm not in the city

What route did you take?

You might wanna check out the motoped, mountainbike with a motor when pedaling gets to much of a bitch to deal with.

Pic releted is the gearqueer version.

From PA to CO to LA to Seattle to Sturgis (for the rally) back to NJ coast to round it off then to PA again. 10k miles roughly. I plan on doing one in 2020 that's 20,200 miles for keks.

wool and cotton socks are the best, they absorb sweat way better than nylon or other synthetic textiles, also remember to switch socks every 10 km, saves you from a lot of suffering

Also, break your boots in thoroughly before SHTF. A single blister from wearing new boots all day will stop you from traveling. That blister gets infected and a short time later, you are totally fucked. Seriously, if you plan on doing any traveling by foot if SHTF, you can be sidelined and dead faster than you think because of one fucking blister.
So foot hygiene and health is honestly the most important thing if you are going by foot. It can't be stressed enough. Trenchfoot is real. Infected blisters can kill you. Having wet feet can not only ruin your transportation, but also it can kill you.

What about fuel costs?

I think lots people stuck in traffic hardly had time to pack. Taking 30 minutes to fill a backpack with useful stuff and getting on a bike at a leisurely pace would have put them miles ahead of the rest.

Well that's your problem there, no go-bag. it's reeally not hard to put a go-bag together. Fucking normies

Hi maddox

My getaway vehicle is a van I've converted into a camper for stealth RV'ing. It carries enough fuel to get 1000mi. I have a motorcycle rail on the back of it that I would stick one of my dirt bikes on. With traffic like that I'd have to abandon the van and take off on the dirt bike. Really I should have a path figured out that avoids major roads like that.

The best bike IMHO for SHTF would be something like a Honda XR250 or XL250 with dual sport tires and a desert gas tank. You can pick one up on craigslist for $1-2k in the US and they run forever. I certainly wouldn't want any type of regular road motorcycle which are heavy/bloated and have almost zero off road capabilities.

Stock dual sport mufflers are very quiet. I had an a honda XL80 when I was younger and with the stock pipe you could barely hear it.

I will never ever understand the want/need for this. I get single speed but actually fixing the gears so you can't freewheel?

This is obviously the best option if you have the money. At a minimum you could get a pilots license and steal a small plane in a SHTF scenario, but even a license cost $25+k these days.

You're less likely to find a place to charge than you are enough gasoline to get coast to coast in a SHTF scenario.

If you've got a lot invested in the plane or helicopter, you might as well get into the engine as well. If you can afford the cost of the plane or helicopter, you can afford to have fuel a nice fuel storage.
In a prolonged SHTF situation, it might be a good idea to know where and how to obtain more fuel. In a situation where America is in total collapse, you could barter for fuel. If you offer someone a life-saving plane trip, I'm sure they will do whatever it takes to get you the fuel for the trip.
If you were just going to be a total nigger during SHTF, a plane or helicopter would be a very valuable tool to loot, steal and plunder anything left. And really, if that many people are dead, most anything you get is going to come from theft or finding out where the GearQueers stashed their shit before they died on the first day.
During SHTF, everything will have a use. But getting to what's especially useful will mean everything.
Good things to know if SHTF:
How to make ethanol and/or beer
How to read a compass and map
How to cook
How to skin and clean game and fish
Basic wound dressing and using antibiotics
If you don't know how to do any of these things, you should probably lean how. All of them are worth your time and are very interesting.

That's what most 'elite' shitbags have been buying for chimpout day that becomes, 'the road'.

Exactly.

Nigger you gay.

I made a thread like this back in CY. The fact is that no Commiefornia anons have the motivation to prepare for getting out in a SHTF scenario, and your thread will motivate no one to prepare. Having a bicycle will not save you when you have to cross through LA by yourself with no one watching your back.

20 feet per hour is honestly pretty believable. I lived outside Houston when hurricane Rita was projected to hit the city. When the evacuation was ordered the entire city got onto the highway, and we traveled maybe one mile in the span of six hours.
And that was an evacuation from just a projection of what might happen. These people are running from a quickly materializing certainty.

I'm in LA and now that I think about it commandeering a sailboat (or motorboat with large enough fuel supply) from one of the marinas would probably be the best course of action for me as I have extensive offshore sailing experience. With a sailboat you don't need much fuel and could live offshore and fish for food until shit dies down on land.

Sounds like the coziest happening ever.

Like if there is an emp attack or somethething like that. Like you need to get to the farm down the road where you are working for your daily bread 5 miles away. You know that Farm owner is the new industry center and all the other people are walking to work. You'll be that guy on that 2 wheeled jeep.
You're gonna expend less energy and get to work without breaking a sweat.
Get a bike and a wheel rack that lets you hang the bags off. The swiss have an army bike.
Be the swiss.

This is nothing new, if you live in a city on purpose it would probably be to gain a higher income. So you have a few options such has buy a place outside of the city you need to have a plan such as either leaving early before anyone else in a car, or at least in California surprisingly does something right and allow motorcycles to lane split through all that traffic. If you are not that rich, bunker down in your home if its possible. If you NEED to evacuate SHTF scenario then go by foot or bicycle.

Yeah, I'm sure nobody will just steal your bike or kill you for it after watching you pass them on your convenient little bike day in and day out. I think you're giving people a little too much credit to not turn into a depraved mob that will kill you for everything you have.
Your best bet is to have the skills necessary and keep moving unless you have the perfect setup somewhere.
I would advise just to have things available to trade with. Have a functioning still for water and making moonshine. These are very valuable items during SHTF. Buy some antibiotics online and know what they're used for and how to use them. Have a nice stockpile of guns and ammunition. These things can all buy your way out of a jam and can get you other things you need to exchange.
You'd be pretty surprised at what people will do for a half pint of liquor after things go south. Walking to work on a farm is something that would happen after things were normalized. You need to survive the months before that.

It's kinda like driving a stick. Without the freewheel you can speed up and slow down(by pushing backwards) like you're shifting a car. Once you get used to it it's really fun and you can go super fucking fast since the gear isn't slacking, only pushing you faster. You kinda have to try it to understand it.
t. fixed gear rider for a few years, now fat dad.

dont get some larpy "LOOK AT ME, YOU TOTTALY COULDNT GUESS IVE HAVE A GUN AND A BUNCH OF VALUABLE SHIT ON ME" crotch-mobile get something reliable and boring, like a honda africa twin

gay as fuck, lets see you ride uphill or off road.
t. mountain bike master race

my lesson learned is leave when things look fucked up; by the time it's "official" it's too late.

Holla Forums knew about this days before the evac order. there was enough information circulating on back channels (like here) to make an informed decision.

even without all the back stories of deferred maintenance and suboptimal construction, the second it topped the emergency spillway people should have been packed and out the door.

It's fun for riding around a city or a well-maintained bike trail. Don't you have some sister wives to attend to?

This, you can see the signs warning you about what's coming if you pay attention, normalfags always get blind sided because they have their faces buried in their social media and pop music and booze

Also what happening is the OP pic of?