We thought Titan couldn't possibly host life. Until now

Hydrogen Cyanide on Saturn’s Moon Could Change our Understanding of Life in Space as We Know It

READY FOR LIFE: PREBIOTIC CONDITIONS

Titan’s dense yellow haze atmosphere, which is full of nitrogen and methane, reacts with sunlight and produces hydrogen cyanide (HCN)—an organic compound believed to have played a crucial role in sparking life on Earth. A study on the correlation between HCN and primordial life states how the Earth was abundant in the polymer and that lead to the ignition of life. “Following persistent bolide bombardment, primitive Earth may have been covered by water and carbonaceous compounds, particularly HCN polymers which would have supplied essential components for establishing protein/nucleic acid life,” the paper states.

EXTRATERRESTRIAL LIFE CONDITIONS SCRAPPED

archive.fo/SlOH7

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FTdECYSNXIs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NERVA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_thermal_rocket
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-Mag_Orion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_pulse_propulsion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Daedalus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Longshot
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Prometheus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Valkyrie
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter-catalyzed_nuclear_pulse_propulsion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIMStar
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICAN-II
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bussard_ramjet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_rocket
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_resonant_cavity_thruster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_habitat
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Neill_cylinder
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_K._O'Neill
nss.org/settlement/ColoniesInSpace/index.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Frontier:_Human_Colonies_in_Space
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L5_Society
sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090330200829.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Defense_Initiative
highfrontier.org/oldarchive/Archive/hf/The Rise and Fall of Brilliant Pebbles -Baucom.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_weapon#Orbital_bombardment
popsci.com/colonizing-moon-may-be-90-percent-cheaper-we-thought
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Jupiter_Optimus_Maximus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Damn it, can't we just concentrate on the alien problem here on Earth first before we go looking for aliens else where?

:^)

Found a perfect homeland for the Jews.

literally seas of liquid fart

jews must love it there

What kind of heat does Saturn give off if any?

So what I've always wondered is where did the methane come from? Did living organisms produce it or was it created through some non-organic chemical pathway (no idea, not a chemist). If there was no life there, then that could mean abiotic oil is possible, since methane can be conveted into other hydrocarbons.

It doesn't really give off any radiant heat, but smaller bodies can be heated by tidal forces as they get flung around in orbit.

A good way of killing jews, maybe if we throw them into the sea of liquid fart it may cause a reaction that would lit the whole satellite and the heat generated by the burning kike-methane reaction would make Saturn a livable planet.

A visible alien threat would unify the earth within days.

But a kike threat won't…

DIGITS.
Methane is a very simple molecule made of some very abundant elements. It's not out of the question for it to exist without having been produced by a biological process.

There is probably a reason why this doesn't occur.. but that is a very interesting thought.

Saturn surely not, but sunlight reaches saturn so the same is true for its moon titan even if its much less then on earth.
The thick atmosphere absorbs the sunlight, maybe this gives a tiny bit of "warmth" to this iceworld.

That's not a good thing, the good guys likely wouldn't be in control of this unification.

So when does a life form gain consciousness? Where does said consciousness come from? This is the real question we will struggle to find an answer to, Id say good luck, because Id sure love to know.

Space elevator thread? Space escalator thread!

We had them during the first few years.

Methane is odorless. Considering methane's atmosphere contains cyanide I'd expect it to smell like almonds. Not recommended though at -290 F.

It's atmosphere is a little warmer than Titan's but not much. Near the core you have much warmer metallic hydrogen though. But it isn't massive enough to sustain (limited) nuclear fusion.

(checked)
No clear answer for that yet. But it's curious that the moons of Saturn differ so much in terms of composition. Enceladus has only trace amounts of hydrocarbons.

What would turn hydrocarbons into oil then?

Depends. Ever read the stories about elves? How they raped women and men on earth and came down from the sky?
What if that really did occur?

isn't that the non commercial scientific name for zyklon b?

you are full retard.
hydrocarbons.
hydro
carbons
liquid carbons. hydrocarbons are oil you nigger go to school.

TERRAFORMING WHEN

The conspiracy minded among us have hypothesized this would make for a great false flag scenario.

I meant the specific hydrocarbons that power vehicles. Usable oil.

If you mean "how does one take small/light hydrocarbons and stick them together to make heavier hydrocarbons", 'catalyst+energy'.

Absolutely a possibility, could be the globalist ace in the hole.

Terraforming Titan would just produce an ocean planet.

Nigger.

>inb4 Saturn's north pole and the totally unexplainable hexagon.

Oil is simply a midweight range of hydrocarbon chains/combonations. The lightest are gases, all the way to the heavy bitumin/aspalt stuff.

wow, who fucking guessed

I hope trump cuts all science funding by 90%

Might possibly cause that.

The Nazi Methane Frogs of Titan will help us achieve victory.

I honestly don't know enough about orbital mechanics or organic chemistry to really form an opinion on that.

Are you nigger? Space is the future. If we stay here we will eventually go extinct. (Resource depletion, world war, Samson option)

Par for the course.

this

Trump even mentioned it in his Inaugural speech.

I hope Trump increases all science and R&D spending by over 1000%, and then signs an executive order classifying all US based discoveries as secret, and banning the free transmission of those secrets to foreign entities, except in cases where another discovery is being traded in return - allowing the US to benefit from its own discoveries, instead of giving them to China so they can knock it off, and undercut the US.

Actually, isn't methane a potential source of energy that could be used to power things in the future.

That'd be good as an alternative energy source to petroleum and other sources.

I too kinda wish I finished my engineering degree.
But I was a mess and did law instead ;_;

Another slide thread?
What are they sliding?

How to trade "discoveries" tho?
A: I made a supersecret discovery!
B: I too made a supersecret discovery!
A: Wanna trade? How much is it worth?
B: I cant tell its secret!
A:…

Current hypothesis is that the temperature and pressure are just right for Carbon atoms there to capture Hydrogen from the solar wind.
Nevermind that shit though, look at your quints.

Dont be ridiculous, thats how governments did things for all of time, even in WW2 the US traded secrets to Britain, only after a deal was reached. Self sealing drums was one of the technologies.

The drums seal themselves, when punctured, IIRC. Easy enough in concept, good luck doing it without the correct process. Just because you know you can time travel, doesnt mean you know how its done, for example.

Sorry, I think that was in reverse. Britain gave it to the US when they agreed to enter the war or something.

I will drown mexico in my own semen if this happens.

Don't be so small-minded. It's possible to arrange demonstrations of the discovery's utility without revealing the nature of the device. However, it's not that much of a deal; these discoveries would likely be shared only with close allies, in which case part of the benefit of the trade is empowering a comrade.

Gas The Kikes with zyklon-b hydrogen cyanide?

The benefits are numerous, but the greatest benefit would be things like a potential scenario where only the US has nuclear capabilities, or only NATO pact countries, only white people.
Maybe a bad example since the USSR had spies and developed it themselves, its not like they were handed it.. but it would be something that China could be held back with. China might not be knocking off all the cell phones, and Korea might not be such a huge competitor of America kept the NASA discoveries it made to itself, and was the sole owner and provider of microchip technology to the world.
White people benefit when they dont freely give the fruits of their intellectual ability to the rest of the world.
Do you know that Indians pay 8$ for a textbook that costs over 1000$ in the US? Same exact book, they simply hand the shit away to India for 8$ worth of rupees, so that indians can become educated in mass numbers on the discoveries of white men, and then beat white countries over the head with their global influence and power.

That is disgusting.

Yeah. The cracking and unification of HCs isn't hard. Its exactly what the refineries are doing to make gasoline or whatever's in demand. It's the origin of the methane that seems to be the real puzzle and is as good a guess as any. Or you know aliens.

Lots of concern over CO2, but if something can easily be turned into water + energy when burned, Methane sounds pretty useful. Now and for the future. Maybe Titan could one day be the gas station of the solar system.

Malaysians pay 200$ and you pay 1000 or even 2-3000$, because the publisher sets it at that price in white countries, no other reason than the (((publisher))) having some kind of moral view where indians are poor, but white countries have lots of money - so they charge thousands of dollars for the information, instead of the 8$ it makes to make a profit off the actual book. They intentionally hold white countries back, make us pay for our own discoveries and hand them for nearly free to third world shitskins, to our own detriment.

The biggest flaw of the white race is the inability to recognize threats that are not immediately existential in nature.

We have a visible alien threat to the white face friend. It's called niggers and refugees

Nowhere in particular. Neural nets are a rather simple kind of information processing devices that can appear from natural selection. As they grow more and more complex, they get more and more intelligent. But there is no hard distinction between the way your, a dog's and an insect's brain works. It's just an exponential difference in complexity.

Which, by the way, is why it's extremely unlikely that intelligent life exists on Titan - even if life actually exists there, which is itself not very probable even now. For complexity to evolve, a lot of generations are needed. Life consumes energy to make more of itself, so more energy density helps. There isn't nearly as much energy reaching the surface of Titan from the sun to power this process. So even if life exists and develops there, it will never be on the level of humans because it will not have enough juice.

Gasoline is a mix of any old hydrocarbon molecules in the 8 carbon atom range. When you're burning it you don't care much what the specific structure is. Similar for Diesel, which is a whole load of crap that has about 14 carbons, and Kerosene - about 20. Natural gas is the lighter crap that is in the 1-4 C range. That's literally all there is to oil and gas. No particular reason it would need life to form and be deposited.

Fart smell comes from phosphorous and nitrous compounds produced by protein decomposition. Methane has no smell.

It all makes sense except for us personally, what I meant was - where does your consciousness come from. Its all fine to observe nature and see this thing has now become conscious… but where does that individual consciousness come from, it is its own thing… and we are only one consciousness, presumably when I die I simply go into a sleep like darkness of non-consciousness. Im personally not a Christian, more of an agnostic. Who knows what happens, but I would be interested in knowing where my personal consciousness comes from, why this body, at this stage in time… and only this one. Presumably everyone else has a consciousness like my own, and other people contemplate the same questions in large numbers - I know for sure. So where do our individual personal consciousnesses come from… I dont think we can ever know.

Don't make me jack off on your big gay head.

Its also not a "what is the meaning of life" question, but more like what is the origin of individual consciousness in life. The meaning of life was well explained by William Luther Pierce, I would say.

Natural gas is mostly methane. It's primary energy source is many places for decades.

If we don't deport them, who will?

How many did you have to smell to gain that level of expertise?

Nothing to suggest that has been found. You can ponder metaphysical questions all day, but ultimately what you're doing is rejecting a given set of axioms (sensory input) and substituting with others you make up with not even that to back them up. This is why I tend to think pondering questions like these is mostly mental masturbation - the conclusion you reach is entirely dependant on the arbitrary way you chose to define the query. Hence it's completely meaningless. Going around in circles ad infinitum.

Well, I just responded to the question as well as it is really possible. The answer is not satisfactory if you're looking for something deeper, but as outlined above, there is no particular reason to believe "something deeper" even exists.

you're part of the cancer

also btw any SPAAAACE!fags should go kill themselves.

Why? It's already as habitable as it gets, with reasonable pressure, radiation shielding (as opposed to Mars and Moon) and temperature (as opposed to Venus).

Human could survive there with heated hazmat suit.

Wut?

How's your ebola, nigger? Or are you lucky enough to be a descendant of the more curious batch of individuals?

oy vey this planet is inherently anti-semetic

I want to see more exploration of Titan, and Europa. We need more funding for exploration

the state does absolutely nothing to further real technological progress, you're deluding yourself in Davos tier bullshit if you believe that. might as well call yourself a fucking progressive.

Do not skip school biology lessons?

I hope you're one of the first people to leave this planet

enjoy huffing your own farts

Define "real technological progress"
If you mean practical applications (which should be done by private enterprise) - they need something to apply to begin with.
Fundamental science was always done either by bored people with much money (church, aristocracy), or by state. It won't make anyone's life better per se, but lack of it will stall any practical developments.

We would not have any orbital capability if not for state interests. The amount of resource investment compared to the payoff (and the delayed nature of the payoff) for developing rockets makes it more or less impossible for non-state actors to do it. Any corporation big enough to possibly pull off such a feat would also be big enough to call itself a state, and a superpower at that, if it so desired.

That cat is out of the bag; however, there's still the barrier of space travel. If the US were to go balls deep into exploring and exploiting innerystem resources, it would quickly gain the material and strategic advantage, MAD works because everyone is in the same gravity well. The first nation to have serious infrastructure in space will be top dog for the next two centuries and will only be succeeded by a nation from the same political sphere.

Competition keeps people on their toes; however, I can agree that it's worthwhile to concentrate that competition within the nation. Rather than a NASA monopoly, we would be better served by having multiple US based tech companies competing with one another. Obviously, the prevailing intellectual property laws are poorly suited to enabling this sort of intranational competition, and they must be adjusted accordingly.

R&D can quickly become a money sink, so its important to make sure that its budget doesn't eat into things that produce more tangible results. The best way to promote space exploration is by building infrastructure for it.

It's pointless arguing with the lolbergs. They've been swallowing this FREE MARKET WILL FIX EVERYTHING crap for too long, and we have been having this debate in every single space-related thread for years and years. Still lolbergs, just using our memes and riding our coattails into the zeitgeist.

Newfag, we have them regularly

I wonder if this will accidently the thread :^)

Well, its impossible to answer the question, but the question remains. I am me, in this body, and I will probably only ever experience this experience, in this body, for however many decades, likely under 10.. and then cease to exist.

Surely there is something deeper.This body is conscious, but there MUST be an explanation of why this consciousness is what I feel and see, and control. Why do I control this, its paradoxical, to some degree, hard to wrap your head around. Beings spontaneously form from the environment they were produced in, gain consciousness.. okay, but why am I this consciousness. I can do whatever I want, its not like we arent in control.. it seems like a given, despite the lack of proof, that there is something more behind the individual consciousness that we each experience. Its like gravity, Id argue. You couldnt prove it until we did tests in space, but surely it was there, if you really think hard about it. I cant have just came out of nothing, me personally, to experience this and have control.. it just doesnt make sense, its like saying dirt is a liquid, just doesnt click.

well now it fucking will

it was mostly done by private individuals who as you said already had sinecure in the church or aristocracy. the evidence for central planning, state-led progress is very lacking. but go ahead and get high on the same technocractic progress bullshit the people you supposedly rail against are constantly pushing.

So people come up with things like simulation theory, but thats just all it is, a theory and something people came up with to plug the gap. It cant be explained, but surely there is an answer.. and the question is there, very intelligent people think about it.

Are we /space elevator/ again?

It's not about central planning, it's about investment and payoff. A non-state actor simply cannot afford to build a space program from scratch. States have the benefit of being able to mobilize resources without necessarily having to pay a single cent back. The real payoff comes after a state-funded project has laid the groundwork for private operation. This was true in the age of sail just as it is true now. Something like an L5 station for building solar power sattelites will pay off exponentially and be a paradigm shift in history, but it will not pay off in one year, five years or even a decade. And when your payoff times are on the order of generations, investors have a tendency to be cautious.

People ponder it because of how people's brains are set up. That does not necessarily mean an answer exists. And if one does exist, it will not be pondering that provides it, but observation. Which brings us back to square one, which is that everything about or minds is geared towards using sensory input as axiomatic. Everything beyond that is by definition entirely arbitrary. Not a satisfactory "answer" to the "question", but the only one that "exists" in any meaningful capacity. So it's basically down to whether you choose solipsism and nihilism, or embrace the imperfect option of reality and run with it.

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA

ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

So the fact that we broadcast non-encrypted high intensity radio waves omnidirectionally into the universe should scare the shit out of you. Why? Just go listen to a random recent recording from one of our radio telescope arrays and tell me how fucked we are when all hear is static.

Yet the opposite has occurred.

Oh yeah states can TOTALLY afford massive research projects that will never pay off

Kek youre clearly the newfag here m8. Holla Forums Holla Forums has gone quickly down the shitter and neared cuckchan levels of posting. But keep on calling people newfags you nigger lover

Are you illiterate or something? A massive but delayed payoff is not the same as no payoff. Space is all about the former. It makes no economic sense for an individual to invest in it at the early stages, but a nation does not have the same time preference that a man does. Furthermore, the kinds of payoff offered by space are not the kinds thay benefit its coffers in the short term. The most immediate payoff was military capability, then communications, then, slowly, a high tech industry for private business to grow.

yeah keep selling your pipe dream, all of that money is going to go to bullshit and you know it

That's blatantly incorrect. They sell the book cheaper in some countries because indians don't have the $300 for a textbook they charge here. It's not out of pity, it's just the publishers would rather have the $10 from pajeet instead of nothing from pajeet. It ends up backfiring on them because then westerners just import the books from india and pay 1/3 of the price.

INTER-PLANETARY WAR WHEN?

Yes, it can. And it is only actor that will do it, because it can waste money.
Unless you want to bring back aristocracy class, and have even more inefficient set of parasites. But at least it's not ebil state :^)

The kike threat has the opposite effect. Ayy lmaos will be exactly the same.

Fuck your clickbait title. At no point did we not think it could harbor life. We DIDN’T KNOW at first, and now the evidence is increasing.

I smell kike.

Yep space aryans

Shadilay

TRUMP'S GREY KNIGHTS WHEN

Watchya bout to do rabbi?

Reported for off topic spherecuckery. Go home
>>>/reddit/

Why hello there sinead and GET THE FUCK OUT!

Eat a dick you jew psyence loving nigger.

oh boy move me the fuck there lads

/thread

That shouldn't have made me laugh as hard as it did.

Not at all what prebiotic conditions means

was right, fuck your clickbait title

But we should scrap all this because we need mo money fo dem programz bix nood.

Fart smell comes from Hydrogen Sulfide.
I work in the wastewater industry

Given that the threat of other races has failed to unify a number of races (the most pertinent example being whites) I struggle to see how greater unification would happen.

It's called 'natural gas,' user.

It's all about reputation. If you have a reputation for selling shitty secrets then no one will trade secrets with you. So it's in both parties' interests to trade valuable secrets.

You know guys, it's because Earth used to be one of the moons of Saturn until the Sun grabbed Earth, Mars and Venus under its control.

youtube.com/watch?v=FTdECYSNXIs

this. fucking saturn worshippers. praise the sun

This fucking picture rustles my jimmies so much.

A perfect depiction of how niggers drag society down to the lowest common denominator.

ok yeah sure whatever

How can something even be defined as meaningless if what is meaningful is itself entirely subjective in the first place, at least from the perspective being chosen to answer this question.
It's almost like saying 'philosophy is a useless waste of time, based on this argumentation…' at which point you are doing philosophy, by definition.
Consciousness, just like meaning, is something that is META-physical, by definition.

I agree with your main thrust here, and I would say that I would be very careful of anyone who is implicitly rejecting anything outside of the physical realm. (This doesn't mean that one has to jump immediately to the supernatural/mysticism either; that's a straw-man idea that gets propagated by Kikes to prevent honest questions and investigation).
The (((Materialism))) of (((Karl Marx))), (((Christopher Hitchens))), (((Lawrence Krauss))), or (((Sam Harris))) is not something that we need to be tolerant of, and we certainly shouldn't accept it as an apriori.

Look at Graham Hancock's work, specifically some of his documentaries and speeches on consciousness, if you want to learn more.
(Vid related: This was banned by (((TED))) since it went against their dogma)

Cyanide smells like bitter almonds. Humans eat sweet almonds, which do not smell the same as bitter almonds. Very few people have encountered bitter almonds, and thus very few people are familiar with what they smell like. Even fewer people have the gene that lets them smell cyanide in the first place; to most people, it's completely odorless.

Just because tv shows someone smelling a dead guy's breath and saying "smells like almonds, must be cyanide" doesn't mean it works that way in real life.

That's the gas that's produced by Zyklon-B, yes. There's multiple different pesticide formulas that produce hydrogen cyanide gas.

Holy shit, somebody saved my OC! Here, have some more: pic related.

[future terrible thing] will happen unless you spend lots of money on [personal fantasy]

You are cancer.

As far as long-term survival for our species and civilization, we need to get off the planet. SOMETHING is going to happen eventually, and if not a disaster like an asteroid/plague/nuclear war, then something like running out of resources or farmland to sustain our population.

Moving into space is the only way to guarantee we survive into the future. Moreover, moving into space would enrich us with resources (the smallest near-Earth asteroid has $500 billion worth of iron, more platinum than the entire planet mines in a year, plus gold, uranium, silicon, etc. and that's a small asteroid. There are literally millions of asteroids, and some are the size of countries. Ceres is almost big enough to classify as a small planet.), infinite living space (space stations, colonizing planets, expanding to nearby star systems, etc.), and the technology we'd develop as we expanded into space would improve our lives drastically. Do you have any idea how much the space program of the 1960's radically altered our technology? Most of what we have today, such as certain plastics, advances in healthcare, computers, aircraft, etc. wouldn't be nearly as advanced if it weren't for the space program.

Whereas the only reason anyone can give for NOT going into space is "well, niggers need those welfare checks". Fuck that noise.

We had the technology for half this shit DECADES ago, and we could have started developing the other half decades ago so it would be viable today. Instead, we sat on our asses.

FFS, we even have a working theory for building a faster-than-light spaceship now, and with the new advances in energy production we're making, with zero-point energy, fusion, time crystals, metallic hydrogen, etc. we'll have the power to run an FTL drive in less than a century.

The stars belong to us! Space Manifest Destiny!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NERVA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_thermal_rocket
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-Mag_Orion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_pulse_propulsion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Daedalus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Longshot
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Prometheus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Valkyrie
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter-catalyzed_nuclear_pulse_propulsion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIMStar
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICAN-II
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bussard_ramjet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_rocket
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_resonant_cavity_thruster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

o i am laffin

Something else we had the technology for in the 70's: giant fucking space colonies capable of housing millions.

Dr. Gerard O'Neill worked out the basic design, then sat down with a team of NASA engineers to figure out the details. It spins to generate normal gravity, has windows and mirrors to light the interior and generate heat during the day and allow for darkness and cool the interior at night, generates its own power via solar-thermal power plants and a backup nuclear generator, can house a population of several million people and grow enough food to support them all, and has space for factories, refineries, etc. using material harvested from asteroids, the moon, etc.

Overpopulation? Move people into space.

Food shortage? Farms in space.

Pollution? Factories in space.

Energy crisis? Gather solar energy and beam it down via microwaves, it's proven technology and environmentally friendly (for anything that doesn't fly into the path of the microwave beam, that is).

Don't like the politics/being surrounded by niggers where you currently live? Move into a space colony with like-minded people.

Better still, O'Neill and NASA sat down and worked out how long it would take to build these colonies and what they would cost to build. The first half-sized colony, which would be easier to build, let them correct any design flaws before moving on to bigger colonies, and train the workers who would be building full-sized colonies was estimated to take about 10 years to build, using the Saturn V rocket, so it would be finished in the early 80's. The first full-sized colony would be finished by the late 90's, early 2000's, and after that they would have enough trained workers, enough equipment in space, a pair of fully-functional colonies for workers to live in, etc. and could proceed to build a new, full-sized colony every 6 years.

As for the cost, O'Neill and his team sat down and worked out the cost in early 70's dollars, then double the cost just to cover their asses in case of unexpected expenses. Adjusting for inflation, the price to build a space colony capable of supporting a population of 5 million is less than what we spent on welfare in 2011. And a lot of the materials used are actually cheaper today than they were back in the 70's, and a lot of the equipment (motors, computers, etc.) is smaller, lighter, and more efficient as well, so it would actually be cheaper and better to build one today than back then.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_habitat
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Neill_cylinder
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_K._O'Neill
nss.org/settlement/ColoniesInSpace/index.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Frontier:_Human_Colonies_in_Space
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L5_Society

Home on Lagrange (The L5 Song, sung to the tune of Home on the Range):

Oh, give me a locus where the gravitons focus
Where the three-body problem is solved,
Where the microwaves play down at three degrees K,
And the cold virus never evolved.

Home, home on LaGrange,
Where the space debris always collects,
We possess, so it seems, two of Man's greatest dreams:
Solar power and zero-gee sex.

We eat algea pie, our vacuum is high,
Our ball bearings are perfectly round.
Our horizon is curved, our warheads are MIRVed,
And a kilogram weighs half a pound.

Home, home on LaGrange,

If we run out of space for our burgeoning race
No more Lebensraum left for the Mensch
When we're ready to start, we can take Mars apart,
If we just find a big enough wrench.

Home, home on LaGrange,

I'm sick of this place, it's just McDonald's in space,
And living up here is a bore.
Tell the shiggies, "Don't cry," they can kiss me goodbye
'Cause I'm moving next week to L4!

Home, home on LaGrange,

I look forward to the day that I can homestead on an asteroid with my catgirl waifus.

checking the water man!

Won't too terribly long in the future, if we get started now.

Hell, with the new advances in discovering how to prolong human lifespans, we could potentially live for 200, maybe even 300 years. Even with currently technology, that's more than enough to make it to another star system and set up camp there. The unmanned probes we intended to launch in the 70's would already be arriving at Alpha Centauri and Bernard's Star if we'd actually launched them.

This.

Bluebeam is dead in the water now, there will be no new world order.

Autist trying to become a scifi writer
The members of the galactic council, to most humans, were absolutely terrifying. The highest councilors were all completely alien, most were several meters tall, with large, spherical bodies, plates of chitin, and coatings of mucous to prevent them from any environmental threat. Most possessed large razor-sharp protrusions or claws, which allowed them to swiftly destroy anyone or thing that dared to test them.
Unlike humans, they had evolved on hostile worlds – where acid would rain from the sky, meteors devastated ecosystems, and sunlight poured down from the heavens, incinerating anything that dared find itself engulfed by it. Unlike humans, they did not fly around in heaps of metal scrap – their starships had to be grown from regenerative biomaterials that required intricate completion of chemical processes, the tedium of which would make even the top human scientists scream in agony. Unlike humans, they were not weak, as the environmental conditions on their homeworlds could not allow for anything but cooperation – these particular races were often extremely homogeneous, as genetic differences would only shatter the delicate unity that they shared with their own peoples. Unlike humans, their homeworld allowed them no time to dispute frivolous philosophies, as life was a constant fight against it. They only had time to advance, to move to the next stage of development. It was only because of these reasons that these races were the first to leave their solar system, and subsequently the most advanced races in the entire galaxy.
However, it was not to say that they did see the advantages of life unlike theirs. They could see that the weaker, more fleshy species did not leave a lot to be desired. They could reproduce incredibly quickly, often being able to colonize entire systems within centuries. Species like “the humans” also spawned a great bit of more culture than those on the council – their relatively benign homeworld allowed for more time to be devoted to more… “sedentary” tasks. Although they did somewhat see recreational tasks as inferior, the benefits from the reduction of stress reflected on almost every species across the galaxy.

Eh, I prefer the Jenkinsverse, where humans are the ones who evolved on a death world and are nigh-unstoppable killing machines. We're smarter than most aliens, stronger and faster than most aliens, we can survive hits that would pulp most aliens, our immune systems are invulnerable to even their best biological weapons, and the various bacteria, fungi, etc. that grow on our bodies and don't even bother us are nearly-unstoppable death plagues for other species.

Maybe the reason we haven't seen any signs of alien life yet is because WE'RE the most technologically advanced beings in our neck of the universe.

It's called HFY (Humanity Fuck Yeah) you dummy

And hell, most people have no idea how amazing human beings really are.

Stuff we eat every day and never think twice about- hot peppers, onions, chocolate, etc. are actually deadly poison to most animals. Hell, stuff like SPINACH can cause nitrate poisoning in cattle, and we can eat that shit all day long.

We can survive blood loss and catastrophic wounds that would kill just about any other creature on the planet.

We have insane endurance, particularly for long-distance travel. Look up "persistence hunting"; an antelope can haul ass way faster than a human can run, but a human can just follow the antelope at a steady pace. Every time he gets close to the antelope, it takes off running again… until it literally drops from exhaustion and the hunter just walks up to it and finishes it off with a rock. We rode horses because they're faster and it's less work for us, but we can actually out-distance a horse; a journey that would cripple or kill a horse would be a mildly strenuous march for a human. We domesticated dogs because they're the ONLY other animal on the planet that can keep up with us, staying on the move constantly; even then, people have successfully fled wolves by using terrain to their advantage and just jogging until the wolves gave up because they were too tired to continue the chase.

Our strength to mass ratio is insane. We think of ourselves as weak because we're always comparing ourselves to much larger animals like horses, gorillas, tigers, etc. but for our size we're actually incredibly powerful. More so when you realize that human beings are actually about three times stronger than they are normally; your brain inhibits your muscles from using their full strength because otherwise you'd tear tendons, rip up your muscles, and damage your joints from using too much power, but in a survival situation your brain can shut off the inhibitor and let you go beast mode, using your full strength; hence, how a woman can suddenly lift a car after it falls on her son while he's working on it.

We can survive without food and water longer than most animals of similar size, and, disregarding the fact that a lot of the shit we eat is poisonous to other species, we can survive off of a far wider variety of foods than most other creatures. Cooking makes even more things edible for us than they would otherwise be.

And then, of course, there's the fact that we build spacecraft, nuclear weapons, cars, the internet, etc. to enhance our already impressive abilities even further, and we think of ourselves as weak and frail because our technology is overcoming our limitations. We keep meming ourselves as soft, defenseless creatures when we're actually the planet's apex predator, and held that title back when our most advanced technology was rocks and sticks.

Humans are BADASS, we just don't realize it.

HFY is a generic category. Jenkinsverse is a specific, shared universe that falls within the category of HFY and is called Jenkinsverse by the people who created it.

This would be like me mentioning that I like Star Wars, and you butt in and say some stupid shit like, "it's called Space Opera, you dummy".

You are, in fact, an idiot.

Oh damn I am a dummy this time around. Probably gonna kill myself now.

What a waste. Who the fuck cares. Might as well ask where life came from. No one knows

stop user, I can only get so erect!

feels like most of the time some flat earth, moonhoax, electric universe etc retard comes into the thread and starts shitting it up

Doesn´t occure to them that there is some internal heat to the satellite, that there is an ocean under the ice.

What did they mean by this?

http:// warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Unification_Wars
SOON

Inspiring post. I was going to ask why is a similar animal, the chimpanzi, so damn strong compared to us. Well I found this short read.
sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090330200829.htm

Some clever people have speculated that Hydrogen Cyanide would be needed for the synthesis of DNA from the ground up in a primordial sea.

Ok
Ok
Ok
You know, I semi expect you to come back and tell me that the earth is flat and the moon landings were a hoax. At which point I will tell you to fuck off, kike.

I have a question regarding Saturn.

From my understanding, Saturn seems to be associated with Jews. Saturday is the 6th day of the week. Saturn is the 6th planet from the Sun. Saturn's North (?) pole is a hexagon, a 6-sided shape and the Jews' symbol is the star. If you take the hexagon and give it some more lines on the inside, you can make an isometric drawing of a cube. Islam has a cube. Jews have some kind of cube hat. The net of a cube is a cross. Saturn is also referred to as Moloch I think as well. So basically, Saturn is some kind of evil, demonic thing and wants to consume our souls or something. Okay.

Now, what's all this stuff about Saturn being a good God or something?

Then what about satellite 3? It's mostly a plasma lense. Kinda like what haarp makes to bounce radio signals and such.

I looked it up and saw the top results were reddit and tv tropes. That says all I need to know about your faggotry.

Nah, no need. Everyone says stupid shit now and then.

Only so erect? But user…

HNNNNNNNG!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Defense_Initiative
highfrontier.org/oldarchive/Archive/hf/The Rise and Fall of Brilliant Pebbles -Baucom.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_weapon#Orbital_bombardment

Your fight-or-flight response can temporarily shut down that inhibitor, giving you basically super-strength at the risk of severely injuring yourself; this is why scared people can run really fast or knock a bigger guy out with one punch.

Now imagine if scientists find a way so that you can override that inhibitor at will, granting you super strength in short bursts when you don't need fine motor control.

Both HFY and Jenkinsverse originated on halfchan /tg/ years and years ago, polesmoker. HFY is also quite popular on fullchan /tg/, and even has its own board on Holla Forums.

Your ignorance is showing.

Saturn cult worshippers need to do aaliyah.

They did. It's called LSD

What are those on the Tomcat's rudders?

Colonizing the Moon may be 90% than we thought
popsci.com/colonizing-moon-may-be-90-percent-cheaper-we-thought

Saturn ate his children because he feared their strength, and it was foretold that they would overthrow him.
Jupiter, being the strongest of his children, broke free from his father's belly and enslaved him in the deepest parts of the underworld as punishment.
Jupiter is the king of the gods, and his aspect of Jupiter Optimus Maximus was the guiding deity that led the Roman Republic and Empire to its greatest heights. The ceasing of Jupiter's worship, replaced by Emperor-worship and later Christianity (with Christmas being merged into Saturnalia) coincided with the downfall of the Roman Empire.

Christmas and Saturnalia don't occur at the same time. Christmas occurs on December 25 because early Christians thought Jesus died on the day he was conceived and worked backward to figure out his birthday. And Christmas and Saturnalia are only as close together as they are because of the Gregorian calendar, which wasn't invented until 1582 (long after everyone had quit worshiping pagan Roman gods), and didn't become the world standard calendar until the 1800's, with the last country (Greece) switching over to the new calendar in 1923. Prior to that, with the Julian calendar, Saturnalia still took place at the same time of year since it's based on solar events, but Christmas occurred in what is today early January. Some Orthodox churches still use the Julian calendar for determining when religious holidays occur, and celebrate Christmas on January 7.

If you can't get even something that basic right, maybe history isn't your strong suit.

Lets see the proof you fucking hacks

Learn to read, you fucking retard. The article says nothing about life being there, it's talking about certain compounds more complex than expected being detected there.

Hey, c'mon now. Reading is hard. He probably went to public school, after all. And still thinks CNN isn't fake news.

Underrated posts.

Thanks. I have another question:
Do Sun worshippers and Jupiter worshippers clash? They seem to worship their planetary body of choice for very similar reasons.

Wtf? Are no such thing as "Jupiter" worshippers. There are only Saturn worshippers who are the same as "Sun" worshippers.

Life begun not in the close proximity of Sun. It begun in a close proximity to a brown dwarf as Saturn was and is a brown dwarf. Sun's radiation is too much for life and DNA to generate. Sun is not a friend of biological life, it promotes desertification, mutations, cancer and all sort of anti-life stuff. But inside Saturnian system, in Earth under a thick layer of clouds, and when the heat and radiation was more soft, tender and stable the life could burst into existence a way more likely and in safe without constant harassment of Sun's lethal radiation.

Oh fuck… not there.

There's a few worlds which may host life, and while Europa was the popular one for a while, there are others.

40x the mass
same size

Physicist here: can confirm.

Reminder that the elites worship saturn because it represented satan/cronus and is possibly where he is trapped.
That planet needs to be nuked for safe measure by The God Emperor's Future Fleet.

Where is this from?

Is this even possible?

looks like more NASA (to deceive in hebrew) CGI to me.

Thats what the kike elite are planning to stage; a fake alien invasion to unite the worlds countries, creating a caste system where white peoples are either on the bottom or exterminated completely

Of course not. These people are mentally defective. Ignore all “electric universe” bullshit.

It doesn't matter which planet hosts life, what matters is if they're sentient. FYI if they are we'll never go out of our way to contact them except independent retards because then it'll be Cold War 2.0 only instead of nukes it's a race for relativistic bombs. Incidentally the independent retards are exactly the reason we'd be outright fucked, even Stephen Hawking only wants to find aliens so he knows where to avoid them.

Kill yourself; he wants proof OF THAT STATEMENT.

I found it in a /x/-tier science thread posted here a while back.
Probably not. When people started taking the idea of galactic scale electrical phenomena seriously, quite a few cooks came out with their own exceptionally odd pet theories. The basic principle behind he electric universe hypothesis makes sense, and it provides compelling explanations for certain phenomena which don't fit the mainstream theories (the comet composition observed by recent NASA expeditions doesn't fit the traditional dirty snowball hypothesis). The great difficulty is that stellar phenomenon don't lend themselves to laboratory experimentation, so instead there's a lot of mathematical models which are only as good as the principles used to create them.

GAS THE KIKES, SPACE RACE WAR NOW

I don't ignore ALL "electric universe" things. There's something in it.

WEW

But I just read that the Romans used to worship Jupiter. They had a special temple dedicated to Jupiter where they discussed battle plans, discussed laws and treaties, etc. Jupiter was seen as the God of Order or something.

Also, if the Sun is so anti-life then what do you think of pic related? Supposedly, you can remove food from your diet and instead just use sunlight to nourish yourself. What role does the Sun play in our daily life? Is it healthy? Or simply too intense?

If that's the case then why do nigs in africa die pf starvation when they've got all the Sun they could want?

that's pure bullshit and you know it

"Jupiter" worship is not true. Trust me, I know what I write in this regard. It's SATURN

For some reasons, it reminded me of the hypothetical cosmic storm that scarred the Mars.

The comparative mythology is my issue with it because they compare too much and conflate it all, turning every spiritual/ethereal experience into something "we once saw in the sky," otherwise there is quite a bit to it, although it may just be the next step rather than an endpoint of any kind.

The Earth is flat. This is pseudoscientific 20 billion dollar NASA photoshop nonsense.

Take a trip to the space and see it for your self.

Sure, if one could actually break through the Van Allen belt. NASA = Illuminati BS.

pls dont mention that one anymore
The plot went completely retarded, sometime between Robot Dinosaurs and Some aliens actually having religions

are you genuinely retarded or are they paying you with hotpockets to write something like that?

Reported for obvious ban evasion.

you need at least x13 the mass of Jupiter to have a brown dwarft you fucking imbecile… why is 8/pol/ filled with subhuman garbage like you who get their science from schizophrenic postings?

Nobody should want unity with niggers, muds, yellows, and kikes. I would ally with aliens if it meant removing all subhumans.

Haha and you fucking got it!

That's a comment I always see. If humans just need the Sun then why are there starving Africans? The answer is quite simply that no, you can't just use the Sun like a plant just absorbs Sunlight. You have to actually practise specific meditations (e.g. Sun gazing) in order to enhance your connection to the Sun. You'll have to make some dietary changes too. I believe these changes are of the fruitarian type.

Personally, I'm willing to give these things a go.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Jupiter_Optimus_Maximus
Are you telling me to just blindly trust you and believe that these Romans were actually worshipping Saturn and this entire wiki article is a lie? I mean, I know wikijew isn't credible but nonetheless, I just want to clarify. You're telling me to disregard this entire article, right?

It should remind you of it because this is all built upon the Electric Universe theory, the same theory that explains Mars' electrical scarring.

I don't think the picture tries to argue that Jupiter is actually a brown dwarf. I think the picture is simply stating that Jupiter and brown dwarves tend to look pretty similar. So they may spot a brown dwarf in the distance and it may look like "another" Jupiter (assuming the brown dwarf is of "spectral type T"?). That's the impression I get from it anyways. I don't really understand how an object could have 40x the mass and still have the same size though.

But one argument is that Jupiter could be full-blown or late sub-Brown Dwarf or actual Brown Dwarf.

How do you explain that Jupiter emits radiowaves and x-rays, Saturn also does that.

What if our comphrension of gas planets and its evolvement is completely wrong?

What if they both are ex-brown dwarfs considering that fact that brown dwarfs are extremely common in the universe?

I just read this book (in the picture left). I suggest this for everyone. Very interesting book.

How do that work?

The only nearly science thread I've seen on Holla Forums was a thread about how vaccines cause autism. Soccer mom tier levels of science
I go to /sci/ for actual science not Holla Forums

Perhaps just as a thousand different programs will develop a similar walking cycle, other species will face self immolation through (((different races)))

Good question. I can safely say, I do not know. But it reseblems some what true stellar objects do. We need to find out. When we find out we can drop out the theory or reinforce it.

Whatever Jupiter is, it is. I will always admit that I'm wrong, but I always suspect and try to rationalize things before. There's nothing wrong to question, what if Jupitera and Saturn were sub-brown dwarfs or brown dwarfs and question what are they now?

We need to investigate more, but there are some people on those positions to find out these thing who do not want to solve the problem.

I just want to find out the truth.

It doesn't emit jack shit. Jupiter has an extremely strong magnetic field that captures solar radiation, creating belts of charged particles moving at relativistic speeds. X-rays and gamma rays can result from particles being slowed down by a magnetic field (bresmsstrahlung), as well as shit like collisions and striking the atmosphere. By now we know the Jovian and Saturn systems fairly well, what with NASA's dicking around with probes.

Are you really sure?

I've heard this theory so many times, but know of little evidence or information on how it's remotely possible to pull that off. I know david rockefeller(or some other jewish billionaire I'm forgetting the name of) dumped their gold and silver bonds in the 90's to buy biology stocks in Israel, and I know Israel has no laws on human medical testing, but there's absolutely zero chance, in my own admittedly limited knowledge, that any nation, corporation, or any other organization on this earth that can fake an extraterrestial invasion with any degree of authenticity. Nobody thought aliens were invading, contrary to what the people who wrote the history books would have you believe, when the war of the worlds was aired in 1938. The general public thought it was the Luftwaffe.
I can't conceive of any way that an alien invasion would be faked. What I can buy, however, is that enough people would believe that lie. But it still wouldn't be anywhere near the amount of people that could drag us into a war. The US armed forces would see through that in less than ten seconds.

Investment in genetics makes a lot of sense when you look it from another perspective: If a godzillionaire solves the riddle of cellular aging they don't have to worry about confronting what happens when they die. All the vampires are getting older. You can replace some parts with transplants from younger people, but you can't replace EVERYTHING.

At some point some essential part you can't replace is going to wear out and that's the end. You get to find out if there's oblivion, judgement or if you get to start back again at square one.

Can you imagine the terror of one of these old bloodsuckers? The possibility that none of it mattered? The possibility that all of it mattered? Or the possibility that now they're one of the peasants they've created through sucking all the life out of the world?

We already have many times.

Really? I thought Titan was considered as a possibility for decades now.

Where do I file copyright claims?
Does it help that Titans where the second generations of gods in ancient Greek mythology, some of them children of Erebus, the personification of primordial chaos? The titans were also the parents of the better known Olympian gods.

BlueBeam.

Real ayyliens are afraid of humans. I'm not kidding. Appearantly making jokes about nukes sets them off in a bad way.

According to one theory, Jupiter tore the Earth from Saturn and brought her to orbit around Sol. This is refered to as Jupiter dethroning Saturn. Saturn was seen as the Reaper.
I wonder how the Mesoamerican legend with the multiple suns tie in.

Saturn is cronos and ducking Jupiter is AO. We're living in a d&d world

this gave me a hearty chuckle.

The way people around the world got programed to certain stimuli, this would work out very well and label any dissenting person as "traitors".
Brilliant.

You guys are cucked for believing any of this CGI crap, fuck off,

not politics

Titan today is reminiscent of an early Earth. Which is arguably still very alien but compared to most places in the solar system, Titan is surprisingly agreeable. For example you don't need a pressure suit, only oxygen and protection from cold. The moon's position to Saturn does expose it to radiation but it's atmosphere offers protection from radiation as well as asteroid strikes.

That said, Titan is not the best candidate for a human colony. As far as the outer solar system, Ganymede, Callisto and maybe Europa make much more sense than exotic Titan. It's much further from the Sun, the gravity on Titan is pitiful and the planet is geologically active. It has been suggested that the reason Titan has an atmosphere at all is due to volcanism, much like Venus.

In summary, Titan, interesting for science, not that great of a place to colonize. Mars is irrefutably head and shoulders above all other candidates for large-scale human colonization.

OP needs to suck some Titan atmosphere.