What made SH 1-3 (and arguably 4 and even more arguably 0 and SM) good?

what made SH 1-3 (and arguably 4 and even more arguably 0 and SM) good?

them being good games

but how do I make good game

stop

good game design and effort towards both the atmosphere and how to apply and come up with inventive ways to the newest technology to get the best possible experience.

it's just very old

this is no different than

OP writes an essay with the help of Holla Forums.

bump

There was nothing like them really when they came out, and pretty much every game that ripped them off was an action game.

TBH If you just want to be spoonfed a bunch of game theory shit on "Why is this game so good", so you can make a souless ripoff and offer nothing new to the medium, extra credits was basically made for you.

This thread gives me the impression that 8ch has no idea how to articulate their thoughts on a game.

I didn't really like SH. Only played the first one though.

Oh, also, inb4

Change my post to 'people in this thread' if it causes you so much pain.

hello?

P.T. was scary because it turned a homely place into an uncomfortable experience and the endless variations of this one fucking hallway had alot of weird shit going on. Think about it, usually you see your home as a sanctuary and now shit's haunted. Oh, there's a 8 foot tall giantess with a gouged-out eye is doing her best impression of the head twitch dude from Jacob's Ladder, oh there's a fridge hanging from the ceiling thats oozing blood and has a baby crying in it, oh now you're in a Nine Inch Nails video.

Let's expand upon the inventive way part

Team Silent had to work around the fact that their shit was low poly, poorly textured and the draw distance was shit. Their solution was the fog that Silent Hill has to overcome this limitation and it also adds a bit of atmosphere. You're in a hazy, eerily deserted city, snow or ash is falling out of the sky despite there being no build-up on the ground and it had alien looking creatures are everywhere and sometimes sirens blare, then the world turns into an homage to Jacob's Ladder.

so Downpour isn't any good? is it terrible like Homecoming or SM?

I'm playing Silent Hill 2 now. I think the riddles are well-designed. Challenging enough to be satisfying, but logical. There isn't much artificial difficulty, like obscure combinations and hiding places that force you to just walk around clicking everywhere. Things are found in logical places and have logical labels and the hints that are written on walls fit into game lore and are subtle enough that they don't feel laid-on thick.

Yes.

I don't think it's as bad as Homecoming. But it's not good.

I think PT was scary because it looked quite real and was kind of unpredictable. You're in the same place the whole time, but you're never safe. It feels claustrophobic at times. The twitching is also scary for reasons I can't explain.

I think it's because you subconsciously understand the monster is very fast and could grab you before you could react.

I thought it might be because it's impossible to happen like that in real life, closest thing to it being someone who's having a severe seizure or something. You might have a point there too though.

That sounds like a lot of work, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just dump whatever crap I have kicking around, slap on an established series name and call gamers entitled and sexist?

PT was scary because it was nothing but spoopy jumpscares.

boo

Bump