Are originals idea dead?

Are originals idea dead?

What's the last original idea you've seen in a game?

Are there still things to explore that haven't been done or are we forever cursed to wade trough this swamp of mediocrity and rehashed concepts that we call life?

Originality is overrated.

It doesn't matter if something has been done before or not, what matters is if it is done well.

capitalism

the industry want to play it safe and get load of money
and new original ideas are dangerous investment

Kill yourself, marxist.

Jews user

Good goy. :^)

[TRIGGERED]

This.

Don't get me wrong, original and done well is ideal, but if it's one or the other, give me good execution over originality any day.

Goal oriented action planning AI to create and support a living and breathing world in STALKER and Oblivion.

Euphoria physics for GTA IV and a few other R* games.

Advanced damage modelling and physics for vehicles in Next Car Game.

Realistic swords combat in Kingdom Come: Deliverance and that isometric top down game with euphoria esque physics, sorry I can't remember the name.

Turns out, gaymers don't want and don't care about innovations, so that makes most developers and publishers gradually leave their innovations behind and try the same thing as they did when they were the most popular. Lack of demand halts progress and innovation.

I'm surprised we haven't tried increasing awareness of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Divinity: Original Sin was a pretty original idea, or at least a very original execution. You can caricature it in a way that sounds really unoriginal, but truth be told…

A turn-based RPG designed around co-op where even in singleplayer you play as two main characters who bicker or support each other? Dual dialogues. And all of that wrapped up in a game where you can have one character in turn-based combat in one map and another on another map wandering around in real-time. It was such a weird idea that before it came out some people thought they must be lying about the mechanics.

No user. You're dead.

Don't get my hopes up like that.

What kind of an original idea do you want? A gameplay one? A lore one? A setting one? What? I might be able to help you out

Nope, they just don't get publisher backing as they aren't a sure thing.

KSP (the whole thing), BeamNG (realtime softbody physics), Medieval Engineers (structural loading physics), ARMA (large scale combined arms warfare) inb4 someone disagrees with one of these and acts like that invalidates the whole list without making any real argument

Yes.

Adding impressive physics to game isn't an original idea user, it's just technology finally being used where it's needed.

There are an infinite arrangement of already-existing ideas in terms of mechanics, story, audiovisual presentation, and the technical execution of those ideas. I'm not concerned with novelty that much. In fact, games that strive to break new ground and either end up reinventing the wheel or come out so badly flawed that no one pays attention to their interesting concepts until several iterations later, probably under a different developer.

My favorite game lately is Rabi Ribi, which isn't terribly original in any way, but provides a pleasant arrangement of somewhat familiar component parts.

Yes, and I'd say many truly original games are the simple types like Pac-Man and Space Invaders.
Complex games just mix genres everywhere, simple games invent new genres.

Every single one of those things added something new to the gameplay though. With all the technology, video games should advance to a more organic gameplay.

Sounds like you swallowed the wrong pill.

I meant that I want to die.

Do they?
In oblivion and stalker it was almost unnoticeable. In GTA it was just better ragdolls. In NCG the damage works exactly the same as it did in Destruction Derby, except you can actually see it on your car.

These are additions, nothing groundbreaking

hope that game get's released one day. Been in early access since ages.

Originality has been dead for a while.
The game now is about hiding your influences or having a unique take on an old concept.

Thing is, there are so many underused concepts. I'm not too keen on reinventing the wheel either, but for the love of God, does every cRPG have to be set in some medieval fantasy setting pozzed up by leftists?

Does every FPS have to be about some space marine dude in a futuristic setting that isn't futuristic in the slightest?

Splatoon

Physics can add to gameplay. Being able to drop stuff on your enemies with accurate collision damage, kicking people into spike pits in Dark Messiah, etc.
Good (not hard) AI is always a plus, too. When NPCs behave in ways that seem absurd or stilted, we notice. Even if you can't get very realistic AI, having a good-enough approximation is important.

There are lots of cases where being more realistic doesn't help a game, and can actually hurt it. But physics and AI really aren't like that; we interact with physical objects and with people every day, so the closer they act to their real-life counterparts, the easier it is for the player to believe in the world and, more importantly, the easier it is for to use those systems (physics and AI reactions) creatively.

Can't argue with those digits.
But you see people don't get into vidya because they like it. They go into it to make money. And everytime you see a medieval fantasy cRPG and pseudo-future FPS just know that everyone on that team doesn't actually care about the craft. They just care about making a game good enough to get your shekels

"Realistic" physics can often be terrible for games. Look at Little Big Planet for an example of why platformers want strict, predictably physics. Could you imagine playing a game like Yoshi's Island or other classic platformer with gameplay like that? It would be fucking awful. Physics in games is very much a case by case thing, and some genres very rarely want them.

But this can't keep on going into perpetuity.

Just look at Hollywood, they're getting pretty desperate for new content now that they've exhausted all the popular IPs through countless remakes and reimaginings and finally realized they have lost all the people talented enough to come up with something original and fresh.

People are getting tired of endless capeshit, and will get tired of vidya adaptations just as quickly (if not quicker, because at least capeshit had 60+ years of material to fall back on).

They've had it easy impressing the gibbering morons fresh into gaming back when it became socially acceptable to be a "gamer", but even those shit-for-brains are starting to catch on and question why every FPS plays like Call of Duty, and why faggots keep being shoved in their medieval fantasy.

I don't disagree that physics can add to the gameplay, I'm just making the point that in the examples you posted they don't.

If you had mentioned half life 2, then sure, I'd agree with that.

Wow! More dubs of truth!
It's true sales are dying off for the same-old-same-old routine. But there won't be change until those things have been milked dry and something else comes and sets a new trend. Then that'll be milked to death. With small successful droplets of creativity carving their own niches along the way.
This is what happens when an industry once driven by artists becomes driven by corporations. The only way vidya could go back to the 'good old days' is if it stopped being a multi-billion dollar industry. Which I can't say is gonna happen any time soon.

says user as Batman vs Superman gets the biggest opening week ever while still being panned by critics

Sooner than you think actually. Consoles are on their last leg and, maybe, have one last generation in them before they are shelved and everyone moves to mobile.

Now, mobile is likely the most Jewish market on the planet. It is a place absolutely devoid of talent and creativity, so it's the prefect sinkhole for all the faggots that have poisoned our hobby, on both sides of the counter.

When the switch to mobile happens the PC market will finally be able to return to a niche, and anyone that wants to make a game out of passion and love for vidya will be free to do so.

It was still a massive flop when you take in the production and marketing costs.

And even if it did make a buck for WB it still made audiences dislike it, to the point that the future of a shared DC movie universe ala Marvel's are in jeopardy.

Sometimes, yes. And yeah, platformers are a good example, because they're old and established enough to already have an expected in-game logic that differs from real-world behavior. My point is that, most of the time, giving players systems that are lifelike allows them to apply real-world thinking (or something close to it), which allows for creative solutions and thus more rewarding gameplay. Deus Ex is the go-to example of this design philosophy.

I'm not the same guy you were responding to, I didn't even list examples. But I agree that throwing in a physics system, for example, and then not doing anything with it in terms of gameplay is an expensive, pointless waste of time.

I should probably check IDs more often, sorry

Do you not notice the migrating dogs and bandits who hunt in packs? Do you not notice the NPC's moving from town to town to meet their relatives? Well, in oblivion the implementation wasn't quite good, but in STALKER it was the heart of the game.

It changes how your character moves and how NPC's behave. They will try to compensate the damage done to them when falling to the ground, being hit, being shot, or even drunk.

I have played Destruction Derby along with other Reflections games, and it's not exactly the same. The details on how the damages affect your car's handling is groundbreaking and truly changed the gameplay. If you said Driv3r, maybe I'd partly agree.

The level design should be based on the physics of the game.

Not really, I just played trough the game and killed enemies when they tried to kill me.

Can't say I followed around pack of dogs to check if they were migrating

With GTA you have a point, it looks great, but my question is: Was that actually used in any smart way?

I mean shit when I was killing enemies in gta4 I was just shooting at them, once they went down I'd shot them until they were dead or not bother. The AI is so simplistic that having all this advanced stuff is almost completely pointless.

I noticed what you're talking about only when I heard people talking about it online, up until then I thought there was no difference between how GTAV and 4 handled it.

Then again it might be great for other games, but it wasn't for GTA, and it surely wasn't an original idea to have NPCs react more like real people.

With NCG I can't say much cause I barely played it.

But I'll give you that it was a neat idea.

its fucking ragdoll physics. what the fuck do you want from them? a rube goldberg machine?

good insights

Seriously, you're saying they weren't used in a smart way. What is the "smart" way to use them?

There is none that comes to mind as far as ragdolls go.

Maybe something line Pain?

Then how can you say they weren't used in a smart way when you have no other fucking suggestion

You and people like you are the reason originality is dying. You might complain about it, but you are still part of the problem.

What kind of backwards reasoning is that?
I can't criticize something that I felt was pointless because I don't have any better ideas?

What kind of innovation do you want? We're not in the 80's anymore when making a game that have map scrolling or item management can be considered an innovation. There has been enough innovations on mechanics. The only way to make innovation on gameplay these days is to make the mechanics behave closer to reality.

And yes, there are still smart ways of utilizing these new physics, like how the way you get out of moving vehicle in GTA 4 can affect the damage done to Nico.

the last original idea? A girl who can change the pull of gravity relative to her and her surroundings, this is from a game released in 2012. I like fresh ideas. There's always a lot to look forward to with video games, if you know where to look.

that new cia max payne game is pretty original too tbh

wew, fugging tracefags

I still want an old vs new army game. Like medieval knights vs the US army or something.

JUST

>inb4 some faggot defends this going "BUT I LIKE HIS REDRAWS"

Single big ideas are always a rarity. Good games tend to consist of a collection great smaller ideas.

That’s a marxist for you.

oh look its one of those nihilistic tweens

just flick through a dictionary, land on some random words and make up a story using those. Congratulations, you've probably made something never thought before in human history

Genres :Yes

Ideas no

The last game that made me get a new perspective to try something new is Splatoon

Eh, if you want to get a feel for another person's style you have to copy them. I don't know the exact method these drawfags used, but if they did just draw over it instead of the grid method then they're faggots.

Have you played LBP? The level design is irrelevant because the physics are extremely inconsistent.

You have 10 seconds to think of a video game mechanic that nobody has ever thought of before.

Original games have been lacking this gen. One of my favorite things about new console generations is the flood of new ip and we didn't get that this gen which is why I haven't bought a ps4 yet.

there's been plenty of new and interesting games on many platforms, PS4 hasn't had its big year, but it's going underway now.

heh

/thread

GTA 4 actually had some decent AI.

sorry there occupy wallstreet. don't rape me

Oh so you are retarded
my mistake

Nothing is preventing anyone from doing that right now. The difference is, once the traditional game market dries up, the profit motive will be nearly non-existent. That will get rid of a majority of corporate interest, but it will also exclude smaller developers who want to develop for a living, for better or worse. Not every passion project is good, and not every profit-motivated project is terrible.

The net result will be far fewer total games, but no one can say whether that will mean a greater concentration of good games.

you have no idea what a smart way to use rag dolls is and so you feel qualified to criticize a games use of them. You have no frame of reference which makes you come off as crying babby

Just get all the normalfags and leftist out of the hobby and we can at least have hope.

I did have this one particular gameplay mechanic idea that I thought was pretty original, but it's not the main aspect of the game it's attached to.

It's a hacking system, based on arcade cabinet circuit boards and DIP switch manipulation. For those who don't know, DIP switches are small groups of physical switches that determine the properties of a device's programming - for instance, a collection of four switches can tell an arcade game how many quarters it needs to play, and by flipping the switches to the correct positions, you can make it cost more, less, or even free. Or another DIP can determine the game's difficulty level, or any other features.
Every different type of cabinet uses different switch combinations, so you'd have to learn the new codes for each device you hack into.

I literally just mentioned Pain you dumb shit
I didn't criticize the games that used them, I said that they were completely useless in the way they were used.

You came into the discussion with no idea of what we were talking about and you still don't, you're just some shitposter that tries to sound smart

I don't expect much of people, but is it that hard not to be a drooling retard?

Wasn't he completely transparent about the fact that these were traces? If so and he's not making any kind of money off of it I don't see the problem other than him not really growing as an artist. Most artists essentially steal shit just to get a better idea how to draw anyway.

I remember there being something about this image that was a bit bullshit but I might be confusing it with something else.

I can't believe faggots actually defend 5 after seeing this. It's a bit biased but the improvements in 4 are much fucking bigger than they let on to be.

I don't really care if he traces or not, but his problem is that he can only do one face.

So he's no worse than most anime?

Jesus fucking christ.

Can original even happen anymore? Everything is a homage or inspired by something else. Every mechanic follows on from another. Unfortunately, gaming has been plagued by copycats since the beginning. This time around though, instead of Doom setting the trends others follow for a quick cash in we have CoD and Minecraft.

The businessmen saw potential for a much more casual market and they were right on the money.

The only game I can think of is an indie puzzle game that is about perspective. Its essentially portal but you use them to change an objects size and angle to help you progress. That looks pretty neat.

Some people can't grasp that new =! good, and that a huge part of the best games of all time are literally "Like X with Y".

Hell look at all the major indie successes in the past few years, FNAF is honestly the most original of them and that's the one that gets shitted on the most.

Indeed. If someone is purposefully going out of their way to make everything they do "original" than they are a fucking jackass.

But most anime is shit, so I'd say that's a pretty big problem.

What about that anime with the little girls user

Anime that exists as a fetish delivery mechanism is shit.
Anime made by retarded Nips who expose their child's view of politics and intrigue is shit.
Anime that looks like every other anime on the market is shit.

It's better to combine ideas from different sources than to get them from just one.

You're not really leaving anything left :^)

you're shit and you don't know what you are talking about

Bullshit.

You can only play the same shit so often if you're not autistic.

Wow, you sure showed me.

Original ideas arent dead, you just wont pay for them.

fucking faggots (that includes you, Holla Forums) would rather spend millions of dollars on mighty number nine, people who still have some ideas and a legitimate passion for their work are unable to get off the ground, and stay in small studios cranking out garbage like call of duty.

Creativity isnt even hard, if youre a creative person, it comes naturally. Whats hard is finding anyone on the planet with the ability to use your creativity. Even indiefags are scumbags who are just in it for the money. Go into any AGDG and ask for a programmer, blow his face off with your proposal for a game, lay everything at his feet and tell him "all you have to do is piece this together", then wait two months when he finally admits hes been lying to you and he hasnt got shit done, but hey, he did get offered a job doing some basic programming work for an IT company.

Are you retarded?By your logic if you've played a bunch of platformers you've played them all because they're all the same thing right?

Kill yourself.

You talk as if coding was something easy and trivial, you're a fucking ideaguy.
Kill yourself, if you want your game just make it yourself instead of relying on others doing it for free.
REMOVE IDEAGOYIM

ajj lmau

Thanks to engines coding has never been easier
I'm so glad coders can't get it their way anymore, you're all scum

can you be any more reddit

Ayyy, I'm sure your rpg maker/game maker/ren'py game will be 10/10 ideagoyim.
Also,
I was messing with rpg maker and game maker more than a decade ago, the difference is that I grew out of it and learnt something useful.

I didn't list any of your precious Chinese cartoons, and I don't give a fuck about Toonami anime. You lack basic reading comprehension and are probably not even white.

Fucking kill yourself.

Yeah, great point faggot, that's the goto engine for games right now
Not Unity, Gamemaker or fucking Unreal.

Sure showed me by using that strawman

okay redditor, whatever you say, please continue to be wrong for my amusement

I'm sorry I triggered you. Tell me more about how I'm wrong in my opinion that fetish-pandering, poorly-written, and samey-looking anime is trash.

please cite some examples, I'm not going to defend vague concepts in your head, reddit. There's numerous anime every season that is worth watching.

Every harem anime ever, for one.

I bet i couldnt get a keyboard jockey to get a character to jump in fucking game maker, youre lazy scum incapable of working anything enjoyable on your own, keyboard jockeys need creatives just as much as creatives need them, so fuck off.

too vague, give me an example. do you have trouble realizing this is what I'm talking about? You aren't offering any examples. Do you even know what you are talking about?

Kek, good luck ideagoyim, I sure will see your "great" games made by someone with little coding experience when they're done(never)

Yeah, no.
Wait, we actually do need ideagoyims, for whenever we need to have a good laugh.

undertale literally printed money, and it was made in game maker, so the "useful" argument is moot, isnt it?

People who worship "original ideas" are babies who know nothing and think the things they were first exposed to and think are great are original.

Everything is a remix. It's all been done before. What matters is quality, and how the parts are put together to make something that has appeal.

If you can't enjoy anything then you are the ones with a problem. Take a break from all media for a while at least.

How often have truly original games ever come out? Almost everything is an evolution of, or a twist on something that already exists.

Oh let's see yours
I bet it's a game that looks like it was made in 1998, with absolutely no original idea, shit model work and textures since you're not an artist, and it took you 6 months to get a character moving in a 3D space
As a matter of fact I bet it's not even 3D. It's a fucking 2D sidescroller with generic fantasy themes.

I can make whatever takes you days in one day using unity.

But you know, maybe I'm not giving you a fair change. Let's list some real famous games that don't use an engine.

Mh.

Mhhhhh.

Oh there are fucking none you dumb slut

You're still stuck on that.

2015 harem & ecchi anime:

Grisaia no Meikyuu
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku
Nisekoi:
High School DxD BorN
Triage X
Punch Line
Shokugeki no Souma
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo

I look forward to you moving the goalposts and complaining that I don't watch this shit. If you think there are great anime that have fetish-pandering, 5th-grade-level political understanding, and/or generic art styles, feel free to list them. I'm sure I'll find them shit, and then maybe you'll understand how opinions work.

Yea im reaaal sure that youve got what it takes to design appealing visuals, comfortable play environments, relatable characters, and convincing interactions.

oh wait, you dont, becuase your brain is wired like a fucking robot's
Its called autism.

OP, there are plenty of indie devs doing original ideas out there. The problem is there are also indie devs screwing with the gaming market by being absolute shit. And the ones that indeed are based become smeared by proxy.

The community overall is so goddamn skeptic these days that when I mentioned I was developing a Grand Strategy/Tactical MMORPG there were smucks saying "THIS WAS DONE BEFORE".

user are you by any chance saying that games need more than code to work?

That's absolutely crazytalk user, what are you on about?

man look at all that anime, must be the majority, oh wait there's over a hundred new series every year

its not just the greedy fuckwits, its the media too.
when the games media only cover their friends games, then what hope does anyone not in their circles have?

fuck gamergate for not finding a way to kill off the old media, that was a great opportunity to kick the kikes out of the industry.

Now why would I go and say a stupid thing like that? You must have misread.

Oh, you're stuck on the "majority" part, not on my opinion. OK, maybe it's only a third of all anime, just pick whichever percentage satisfies your autism.

Oh but at least I'd have something to show ideagoyim, now let's look at yours.
Oh wait, all "progress" you made was a post on Holla Forums and a file on notepad called "gameideasv2.txt"

Good games start with good ideas.

The issue is that it's a world of a difference going from ideas guy to true game dev. And a true game dev can be shit if he has shit ideas, regardless if his game is very well-done.

user you're killing me!

Spelunky was also made in Gamemaker and it is a game I always find fun to play.

Name a genre which is so overdone that a genuinely good game made in that genre automatically becomes worthless.

There really isn't such a thing. A military shooter is always worth playing if it is actually good, a survival sandbox game is always worth playing if it is actually good, fuck even a zombie game is worth playing if it is actually good.

I think its pretty important to point something out here.

In this thread, and in every other like it, Ive not once seen a creative who said that programmers are not needed…wished they didnt need them, sure, but never claimed they were useless.

but in every
single
fucking
thread
these assclown autismbots will 100% of the time claim that the creatives are unnecessary beings.

Just an observation, maybe youd spend less time in AGDG if you just fucking accepted you arent a mary sue and accepted some creative help.

oh yea, and hyperlight drifter, i hear thats doing well too.

You only need one of those to have a good game, max.
Look at DF, it only has one item out of your retard "must hire ideagoyim for" list and it's 10\10.

You don't have to invent new genres to be original you fucking imbecile.

Spelunky is better than Undertale IMO

Its the most fun indie game I ever played. That Levels are RNG which make it better and unpredictable.

just keep ripping off other games dude, im sure one day someone will appreciate your failure to innovate the design.

For autists, yes, it might be their fucking dream game

user, you're literally a highschool girl who says someone is weird because he is good at/likes math.
Tell me, why are your ideas so great that they DESERVE coding comcubine whose only purpose to make your holy works, uhn?
Fuck off, ideagoyim.

Dwarf Fortress push the boundaries of micromanagement in gaming to a whole new level.

So now DOOM is a rip off of the FPSs behind it and every single roguelike ever made is simply a rip off of Rogue?
Get better taste faggot.

Yes, by making them tedious and annoying

Yeah, but that's because the creator went ahead and made a game instead of being an ideagoyim.

What a twist

The curse of autism strikes again

I'm shocked

This is what ideagoyim actually believe, kek.
Read a book nigger.

Tedious and annoying for you, user. Some find difficulties fun, because they test you to be better at something. If you are like 90% of the millenial gaming audience that wants everything spoonfed at you it's your loss. Labeling everyone who likes challenge an autist while advocating little effort to be successful is a good way to be a sour motherfucker later in life.

You're making a fool out of yourself.

I love difficulty, and I love setting challenges for myself in most games. Unfortunately having a clunky interface and a generally confusing game is not the same as making a game difficult.

This.
Dwarf Fortress is a mature game for mature gamers.
People who don't like it probably still use a Desktop Environment.

Also I want to point out I don't shit on everybody that likes DF, I understand why people love it.

I'm ripping on that faggot because he has absolutely no argument except for spouting things he heard.

Oh the irony, of the fucking irony.
Don't you have an "awesome game idea thread" to participate now?
Fully loaded with "ultra realistic graphics" and "good gameplay" and "TECHNOLOGY"

Again, you still haven't posted your games so I have no idea what you're trying to prove.

fuck off, josh

Your says otherwise. Don't backpedal now.

I like the way you bait.

So, we need to post our games we developed now to be valid opinionmakers.

Ok, if I post here the game I'm developing right now, it's the slaying of your arguments, then? Because I'm itching to kick your ass with those stupid arguments.

Well it is for autists, but I understand why people like it.

So by your argument, if I play DF, I'm autist, and if I play CoD, I have ADD.

Man, there's no winning with your retardation.

If you actually believe your game is actually good, sure go ahead. But if it isn't you're kinda proving my point.

I'll try to be objective, give it a shit mate

I have to point out once more that I was trying to insult that other guy. DF is definitely a game that attracts a certain kind of people, there's no denying that.

Never said anything about ADD or CoD though.

Torrenting gta IV again now
i hope theres a manual gearbox mod with clutch and tons of realism mods to satisfy my autism that i oh so enjoy living out in gta V with mods of course

After you post your 10/10 ideas, ideagoyim.

Do you mean just code monkey stuff, or do you mean all programming related to game development, period?

If your game is not "Ideagoyim's definition of a 10/10 'game'" you're "label"

There's really no difference.

Weren't the one posting that all coders need an ideagoyim to guide them?Then well, you should be eager to guide me ideagoyim.

I wasn't.

I was the one that said that coders that say that all you need is a coder to make a game is absolutely retarded and that coders can be easily replaced by using engines.

You don't only need a coder.

Coders are a very important piece of a development process, but are not the only one. A good game can be made with shitty code. But it can suffer from it.

Now, you must be very naive to think that anyone can replace coders with engines. If all you're developing is RPG Maker, then sure, you can develop shitty games. Because if you want to develop good games, you need to code.

Also just to be clear, I, and other anons posted a bunch of games that were made in engines by people that clearly aren't skilled coders such as Undertale, Superhot, Hyper Light Drifter, I mean really, even OoT, Majora's Mask and Mario 64 were done in an engine.

With coders I mean someone that literally only wants to do code.

Of course even by using Unity you need to know a little bit of coding, but that is really easy to learn and even someone with a minimal knowledge can accomplish decent results, while without using an engine the same result would take much longer and would require much more work.

Of course you need someone that knows how to code, but retards that say that coding is the most important part of a game really don't have a leg to stand on.

I do agree they are a part of the process, just one that is being slowly phased out thanks to the accessibility of technology.

I had this incredibly autistic idea for an open world game where it would count how many enemies of a certain tyype you killed, and the more you did, the less of them you'd meet. Their numbers would slowly regenerate, depending on how many nests they have, but if you destroyed all their nests and killed many of them, you could achieve a complete genocide. If, on the other hand, you left them grow unchecked, it could have certain consequences.

For example, imagine an RPG where there is a human village neighbouring a large swamp that's riddled with dungeons and what not, and especially with goblins. The main quest would lead you to their main village, and a few sidequests might take you into a few more places, but the bulk of those goblin villages would be hidden, not included in any quest, just there for you if you wanted to explore. If you decided to just do the main quest and then fuck off into some other part of the world, chances are that the Goblins would eventually grow in numbers and organise a raid on the village, maybe even burn it to the ground. If, on the other hand, you looked under every pebble and made the swamp flow with the blood of every last goblin, the village elder might decide the swamp is safe enough now and, together with the rest of the vilage, drain it and convert it into farmlands.

It would make the player feel like he really has an impact on the game world, and reward completionism a lot more than a stupid achievement, I think.

There are a few arguments i see here.
Essentially creating something different or unique. Which is great but comes with a huge risk to investment.
In short it's easy to sell what is familiar. In this case making a profit is most likely.
But what is glossed over is
Regardless of being original or more of the same. If dev or publisher is lazy or lacks passion the end product will suffer. This is what we see now. Lazyness and creators willing to take advantage of the stupid.

You still need to know code to know how the fucking engine works.

Unity requires a LOT of coding. This mention of you that you need a "little" only confirms how naive you are. It's not easy.

It's one of the most important things to know how to code. Your speech to dismantle it together with your stance of being an idea guy only reinforces that idea that you want things to be the way it is most confortable to you.

Chivalry was an original game that took more of the same. It was an FPS, but they set it in the medieval times. We're going to see more of this, where developers will mix in genres to be more "original' and at the same time mix in successful takes on previous titles.

a FPS*

I've been using unity for a few months now and it is really easy. The documentation is extensive, and in case you don't know anything there's hundreds of tutorials and people ready to help you.

I've seen anons develop games on here with Unreal without knowing anything at all about code.

Have you tried unity?

Part RPG, part ecology game? That sounds interesting.
I wish Elder Scrolls games (and more RPGs in general) went that deep with their simulation, but of their economies. If I sell a thousand axes to a merchant in some shithole village, each successive sale should bring in less gold. It wouldn't even be hard to do, just steal equations from economics textbooks.

Original Ideas are NOT dead

It's just my idea would be better suited for a cartoon than a video game (which is why I am working on producing a cartoon) Because I can't draw worth of a shit

I've been developing in Unity for 1 year. Scripts and coding are required for more complex interactions.

pretty much all games are done in an engine.
Are you retarded user?

Let's see all these games done without a coder then shall we?
Oh wait.

That's closer to the "passion/lazyness" argument. We can compare and contrast all day but at the of it you will see the devs intent.
Been playing a lot of ps1-2 games recently on my consoles. They are mediocre but I can see huge improvements if these games ever did see a sequel but alas there never will be one?

I was actually also thinking of Elderscrolls. Reading about the impending Falmer invasion and what not, it always frustrated me that even if I killed a thousand of them, the game didn't refect it in any way. Same with any other type of enemy, or even with city guard. The roleplay took a strong hit after a certain point as I realised that my character has zero impact on the world, and is really just a faggot hoarder that happens to visit unorthodox places.

What the fuck.

I agree with this.
It was a fundamentally flawed game.It had lots of flaws like how the genocide route is, and how easy was everything besides it.Overall I wouldn't rate it above 5/10.
But yeah, it was original.

Devs make sequels to games which had/might have good sales.

It's called having a separate email for Holla Forums you dip

I wish we lived in a world where I could look forward to the next Elder Scrolls game, instead of dreading it.

Why though.

Cause this place is tamer than 4chan.

What a huge fucking loss. I hope enjoys making his sloppy Unity shovelware before he realizes that lazy faggots like him are the main reason why modern vidya runs like shit.

user, ideafag is clearly saying that coding is basically useless in the future because technology is going to make everything so easy a monkey will be able to develop games. So we're just running against the wind, clearly.

What exactly is your basis for disrespect here? Is it people who say programming or gameplay are the only thing that matters, people who don't figure out how to make something look and feel right in their games, people who just suck at programming using a self-given title or label claiming superiority over people who do other work, poor relationships with programmers, or do you dislike programming itself?

The thing with engines at the very least is that people had to create such software through programming. At least through that logic, programming itself matters most in a video game, since at least a game engine is used to make video games. Honestly I'm inclined to allude you to someone criticizing the existence of chefs and hunters because of microwaves and supermarkets being available to people, especially when reading through your posts it looks like you'd be the sort of guy rooting for steam machine against John Henry, but in the case of game development, John Henry is still going to be expected to make a better game with any tool versus the steam machine's operator, assuming that he has only the minimum understanding necessary to operate said machine.

Even if there was an "instant game, just press button/add art assets here" engine, there's no way any game made that way by default will be automatically better than games where its creator or dev teams wrote any amount of code. Even if they were, that's no basis for looking down on people who know how to write any code. Unless we have robots or AI capable of creating game engines, people making games through coding will never become obsolete. Revolvers are still manufactured despite there being clips and magazines to feed bullets into guns.

I have to admit I was just curious when I started to write this post. Now I have to say fuck you, because I don't understand how you can be such a snobby braggart about not knowing and 'not wanting to be able to know 'how to get shit done without someone else's work. You're the kind of person who should be put at the bottom of a credits list, if not omitted from it.

user, it's supposed to list the people who WORKED on the game.

Hook me up with those USSR vidya smash hits, fam. Is there a line I can wait in for them somewhere?

Tetris.
:^)

Ye my man, cool. Could I get another, or is this a "here game, you take, only game comrade need in glorious revolution" sorta deal?

Tetris and Shariki are arguably the most successful games of all time.
So good they managed to milk them for decades non-stop. Although Shariki was released two years after the USSR.

COMRADE TAKE GAME

You can get another one after you beat tetris comrade.

TETRIS BEST GAME, WESTERN GAMES IMPERIALIST TRASH, MOTHERLAND WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU.

That much is obvious. I ended that sentence with a question mark for some reason.

Ending affirmations with a question mark is retarded. You use it when you ask a question.

I'm not even a native English speaker and I know this shit.

well, quite a number of us here could be considered somewhat autistic

Any game unique enough to need people learn how to play will not succeed.
Reviewers, Game Journalists, Playtesters, Game Designers and Casuals, all enable this.

If ever I make a game, I probably add a game journalist mode. Or just not give early copies.

What a bleak world we would live in if you had your way. Games would still look like asteroids, the stories would all sound like fanfiction, and every game would play like the witness.

Living in an age of technological advancement has gone to your head and you now demand the world to cater to your retarded whims without having to put in any effort yourself. Your "muh technology will make programming unnecessary" is the same kind of retardation that makes people buy locked-down Apple products or bubble cars and smugly look down on people who actually care about maintaining and tinkering with their shit. Thousands of years ago you would have been that faggot who refused to build his own shelter and was eaten by a bear because he was used to his parents taking care of him.
Even the worst postmodern artists and San Francisco clique game developers shit out something every once in a while: you can't even be assed to do that and instead beg other people to do the work for you like a self-proclaimed painter who's too lazy to pick up a brush or even use his own fucking fingers. Your understanding of game mechanics, map design, aesthetics, and everything else under the sun is likely shallow as well and your game concepts are probably just some bullshit plot and setting with the mechanics as an afterthought, with no idea of how they would be implemented.

Do you want to know what you are?
You are the splitting image of the clueless executive with no appreciation of what his underlings are making or the work that goes into their products, and likely takes all the credit for their effort in front of the shareholders. The difference is that you don't have money or even the pitiful social climbing skills needed to get into such a position, so you bitch about how ungrateful everyone is for your halfassed ideas on the internet. Take a good, long look at yourself in the mirror, ponder what sent you down this path that made you resemble the heartless executives you probably blamed for the state of modern vidya countless times before, and kill yourself before you're replaced by an ideabot that comes up with game ideas for one-button engine and asset-generation suites to pump out.

Fuck off retard, you're making yourself look like a stupid Jew.