Anyone plays it? is it worth it? I saw that Don't Starve Together got out of early access, doesnt look too bad

Anyone plays it? is it worth it? I saw that Don't Starve Together got out of early access, doesnt look too bad

what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/aPqPV
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I played it when I got it "for free" with PS Plus. It's good as a time sink, but it gets boring very fast. I don't know anything about Together, since I lost interest right after realizing surviving the winter was going to be a fucking bitch no matter how many times I tried.

enjoyed many a deaths.

at first it was a bitch in the way roguelikes are. you spend the days and weeks getting your shit together, winter comes along and you don't know why you're fucking up so bad - until you snap and look at the wiki and find out you should have spent time up to winter preparing proper clothes and sanity food
something of a dilemma when it comes to survival games not being intuitive. that or i'm retarded. or fantasy/horror games aren't meant to be intuitive.

but again, some people enjoy base building and can play forever, and others kick it around and get bored once they try everything.

i think it's worth trying out, op.
t. played vanilla + rog (fuck summer). haven't played together or shipwrecked.

I played it until I got bored, then never wanted to touch it again because it's solved and there's no substantial new content or adventure mode to keep things interesting. The TF2-tier cosmetics are also a big pile of shit, repelling me even more.

Like other indies it suffers from having a great OST, great artstyle, tons of cool details and an interesting story, but really boring and repetitive gameplay

Summer and Spring are full fucking retard, and it rains and gets overheated in underground caves because "fuck you".

OP, it gets boring and the grind for resources is fucking awful. I tried it again after finishing Adventure Mode before Shipwrecked came out and it was insufferable, I made it 17 days in and gave up because it's the same cycle of building a keeping your meters full till you go down a layer. It seems like the DLC just adds more layers you need to grind resources for and build bases on to get to the next layer.

No, you're not wrong. The game sort of springs all sorts of bullshit at you that doesn't really make sense. Like the treants who don't take bonus damage from axes, how you can't shave off time collecting resources with the razor, why you couldn't eat the ham bat without beating your face in and Bunnymen being hostile to you if you had meat on your person.

Pretty fun at first, turns into a long slog after a bit. Didn't bother trying to finish, since after hour 10 or so it loses a lot of its charm. My only experience is pirating the early access.

It's fun when you don't know what's happening.

Thus when you experience a whopping one time, it becomes tedium.

A lot of the DLC features like islands and seasons were stupid. Adventure mode is a huge letdown too, you have to drag yourself through cumbersome maps and get almost nothing for it when you finally do succeed.

Sandbox mode in the vanilla game can be fun, though. I like pic related the best, Webber is a pretty cool guy too

It's pretty fun, you can easily spend a hundred hours with this game if you want to see everything.

Basicly imagine minecraft, but without shitty voxel graphic, without creativity and with many many things that will actively try to kill you

I never understood this game.

There's way too much shit to make with literally no explanation whatsoever, there's no reason really to get better things to make better objects, because all that's gonna get you is more objects to make, and once you die you're fucking dead and you lose everything you've built.

There is literally no reason to play this

Sounds like a videogame, allright

Video games tend to be enjoyable experiences

Who fed you that lie?

and some people enjoy survival games.

Because some are fun

It's good but once you learn how to beat winter it gets stale fast.

Forgot about this. Adventure mode is boring as fuck.

I only played it to unlock one of the secret characters, but even then I couldn't be bothered with it and just used cheat codes. It's just too fucking boring.

Sounds like something a casual would say. I actually enjoyed adventure mode, it certainly wasn't perfect but stuff like that infinite winter challenge were a nice way to break the mold of the maingame

not don't starve though

Except that this is all bullshit. There are ways of staying alive and definitely a reason to get more shit.

The way the game plays is a bit counterintuitive.
I get that it's a roguelike and permadeath must be a thing, but here you don't only lose your character, you lose your entire base.
Which strikes me as odd, considering it looks at first your average open-world survival sandbox game, where you can die with some penalty but your base remains so you can keep on building and expanding.

This would mean that the base building should actually be fairly simple and relatively fast but with deep strategic options, much like leveing your character in any roguelike. You pick a role and a strategy when you start, you go with it but the gameplay is fairly simple when you get down to it.

But instead you have to manage multiple farm fields, hunting traps, enemy spawners, trading with the pigs, mining and exploring, hunger, sanity, the hour of the day and season of the year and many other different concepts, most of them even tied to some timer one way or another.

This makes the game fairly hard to learn since every real mistake is punished by deleting everything, forcing you to do it again, which is excessive and only forces you to redo the same boring tasks from before yet again.
It's not like slaying kobolds for the first few levels in Nethack was incredibly exciting or anything, but it surely beats picking up rocks and sticks for half an hour just to get started.

okay user, thanks for listing them all in your post

You gather more shit to build more things, you try to create hearts to revive yourself with, better tools = faster progress.
Do I really have to spell it out for you? It's so fucking easy I figured most of it out just playing with my friends.

Yeah if that's something I love in a game is spending every single moment googling recipes and what to do next.

SO MUCH FUCKING FUN user

It's ok. Gets tedious as the game goes on, they tried to remedy that by adding more stuff, but it didn't work. Don't starve together is a bit better, but then again, everything is better with friends, so it's not really a good measure of how good a game is.

i remember being able to build effigies that lets me respawn. Did they change that?

Yeah jumping through wormholes over and over again until you find the exit sure is not tedious at all.

and infinite winter can be done outside of adventure mode

Confirmed for being unable to read.

I think it's fun, it's really punishing until you figure out how to do things properly.

Nigger how did you discover those tools? Did you keep trying any combination until you found them? No, you used fucking google

And once you had them did they help you know how to make better tools? No, you googled those too.

Progress for the sake of progress is completely pointless.

You're just making tools for the sake of making more tools. That's it.

At least Monster Hunter has fun gameplay, this shit plays like ass

There's like a basic tool set and an improved version, and it's displayed in game and shows the resources you need in game. If you had to google anything besides a tutorial for farming in this game than you're a colossal fucking idiot. I play MH too since you brought it up, way to compare two totally different types of games/gameplay.

They must've updated it since last time I played it then, sorry bout that

also the comparison wasn't random. Both games have grinding for the sake of grinding. In Monster Hunter you grind to get better gear to beat monsters to get better gear.

In don't starve you kill monsters to get better tools, to make better tools and to kill monsters.

The problem is that you're running around doing shit all the time and never have any downtime to experiment or explore.
Why don't carrots regrow? Why do farm plots give so little?
If I could get it set up where I'm not fucking running around all the time trying to survive after 20 hrs playing one game then there is a problem.

True but unlike Monster Hunter the gameplay isn't focused entirely around killing monsters. I only really go out of my way to kill Spiders since they will spread out of control as your game progresses and eventually covering the world. You also get materials for revival hearts (forget what they're called it's been a while) from them.
That and ents because ents are relentless bastards that deserve a burning for randomly popping up in my tree garden.

It's pretty fun. There's a lot to do and discover, and since the game is written in Lua it's piss easy to make mods for. (Which of course means a slew of furnigger/sonic/animu autism mods are clogging the community) It's a very punishing game, and each time you play you learn from the mistakes of what you did previously.

I only really played Together a year back, either single player or with family, so I don't know if there's actually a goal in the end now- other than surviving those god damn firedogs until there's too many to possibly outlast.

I don't know what to tell you. It's still a bit to grindy in the early game and should be tweaked.

Don't Starve together's netcode is still shit

every playthrough goes something like this

It's summer that's the bitch. Winter is intuitive- you need warm clothes, adequate food, and fire to survive winter. The only sucker punch that season has is the Deerclops. Even then, running is always an option.

Reign of Giants introduced summer which is the real bitch. Everything about it is counterintuitive, the world around you bursts into flames constantly, and the Dragonfly will burn down everything you love in ten seconds flat.

It is, playing online is laggy and sucks ass. I've only really invested a large amount of time into it when playing locally with others.

This. Holy shit why does everything spontaneously combust? That stupid fucking thing also needs a nerf on it's spawn rate by about 20% at least.

To be fair, you can change that in the world settings. I always turn smoldering off, at a minimum, but I usually turn off summer entirely because overheating is just not fun. I end up getting bored because I'm tethered to a firepit all season.

The other thing is that winter ADDS content to the world. MacTusk is worth hunting for his tusk and the pengulls give easy access to eggs for gunpowder. Winter also makes food even more important while summer leaves it highly available.

Shipwrecked is worse than Reign of Giants, too. The world is too big, the ships are too slow, ship combat is painfully bad, three out of four seasons are lethal, starving isn't even a concern, the new characters are all shit, and all sorts of new mechanics are just annoying to deal with. Still at least a 6.5/10

OP here, spent some time with it. as stated by

really good looking but meh when it comes to story and gameplay. Maybe mods can salvage it? I wonder if there isn't any that improves the game to a nice level.

Why the fuck were you expecting a story, numbnuts?

I made a horrible mistake on my first encounter with the deerclops, I avoid the wiki on purpose, because figuring things out is it's own fun except the times it isn't fun, and I just barely made it through winter when I see shaking all over, and see the big fucker destroying my machines, then he aggro'd on me and I made the horrible mistake of leading him through a herd of beefalo, thinking they would take care of it. Well the majority of the beefalo were brutally murdered save for two, I tried leading some beefalo over to them but they just started going right back to their origin. Deerclops aint nothing to fuck around with.

there is not even some writing my own story fam

Stop starting in spring.

Don't. Find merms and/or spiders and let them kill the tentacles for you. Swamps are productive in that everything keeps killing each other.

Failing that just fight it the way you do everything else: run up and hit it, then run away before it hits you back. Also wear all the armor.

I dunno, I know somebody who wrote a fanfiction for it

again,
i liked the "here you go, figure it out" approach

kinda wondering how Holla Forums would improve such a game.

i hope you didn't pay too much for it

Characters go insane too easily, made the game more of a babysitting sim than anything

You all realize this is why modern games are baby mode shit, right? Maybe there should be waypoint markers to resources and a QTE to stop death so you don't get too frustrated.

A huge aspect of "doing things properly" is getting a decent RNG run on the world. Sometimes you just get fucked and there are no optimal resource locations, sometimes you don't get ANY of a particular food source.

Sometimes you get a goddamn oasis in the desert surrounded with ponds and vultures for infinite food.

Maybe Skyrim is more your speed, casualbabbies.

i never really figured vultures out. i always went straight to figuring out where all the beefalo at, even if it meant running around the map through the night burning torches.

reminds me of imgur.com/a/aPqPV

I tried to like it due to the amazing art, but it feels better suited to being played by a robot that has all the crafting recipes and game wiki memorized. You really don't do anything else and the combat is plain to say the least.

not me tho, so its SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL THE CRAFTING RECIPES ARE IN A DROP DOWN MENU RIGHT ON THE HUD

YOU FUCKING FUCK

The game became so complex and so hard that it's almost impossible to survive without foreknowledge. This alright in a roguelike, but kind of sucks in a game where you spend a lot of time base building and exploring. If you like to play through an adventure without consulting a wiki, the whole experience could involve a great deal of repetition.

What negates this is dozens of options you can set for world generation, difficulty, and specific game elements. Everything from the length of the day and types of weather allowed, to which monsters exist in the world and how plentiful are the resources.

Which still makes it a chore because I need to climb through 3 tiers of recipes to calculate how many rabbit droppings I need to build a tactical nuke or b something.

If you place meat on the ground vultures will land and try to eat it, giving you a chance to kill them for easy drumsticks, which leads to easy turkey dinner crock pot meals. Having a pond right next to vultures also meant I had frog legs and fish in easy supply as well. AND it was all right smack in the middle of a desert, which is full of tumbleweeds that give me all kinds of nice shit for free – especially gears, which was end-game for me because I was playing as the robot.

I never had to move from that spot until FUCKING summer rolled around, at which point everything in the world caught fire and all non-renewable resources were lost forever.

I'm still pissed that they made summer effects follow you underground. It would have been an excellent way to say "Hey, this overworld is really super hostile, I can escape to the slightly less hostile but still dangerous underground caves!" What a great change of pace that would be, but no. You go underground and everything is catching fire and you're burning alive. Fuck it. That was the exact point where I just stopped playing the game. There's no point with summer. It ruins the entire game because everything you worked so hard to build just burns with the RNG gods.

For scrubs:

The frog pond set piece is the best food source in the game. Lead them in traps

Just follow the road and make jerky racks and iceboxes.

Also stay in your base during summer and winter

NO YOU DON'T
IT'LL SAY
0/7 RABBIT DROPPINGS. THAT MEANS YOU NEED 7 YOU FUCKING IDIOT
IF IT ALSO SAYS YOU NEED A SCIENCE MACHINE TO BUILD A PROTOTYPE YOU ALSO NEED TO BUILD A SCIENCE MACHINE
OH HERE'S THE RECIPE FOR THE SCIENCE MACHINE IN THE SAME MENU
HOW FUCKING DENSE ARE YOU THAT THIS IS COMPLEX

THIS IS WHY GAMING IS FUCKED NOW