Whats the best book on meditation that exists?

whats the best book on meditation that exists?
as far as possible from "buzzfeeds top ten ebin yoga meditations" please

Other urls found in this thread:

bookstore.yogananda-srf.org/product/autobiography-of-a-yogi-srf/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You proably should go to a monastery to learn meditation properly. If you live in a big enough city, shouldnt be hard to find. Just stay away from those new age "buddhists" which teach mostly bullshit.
99% of the books are new age bullshit as well, so i cant really reccomend you any.

Probably the yoga sutras of patanjali. It's the original source afaik.

Naw, man.

Also I think swami Vivekananda is supposed to be legit and have good writings.

GO BACK.

I have a hard time trusting others (those who seek to gain profit at least) especially when this area is concerned, so I stick to discovering things on my own through experimentation. May take longer but direct experience is better than wasting time with quacks.

>>>bookstore.yogananda-srf.org/product/autobiography-of-a-yogi-srf/

Meditation makes you immune to brainwashing. Yuri was talking about new age bullshit pushed by kikes in the 60s. Real meditation gives full control of your thoughts and turns your mind into an impenetrable fortress.

what would i search for to find that and what factors would distinguish it from new age bullshit?

There are actually books that focus on European traditions of mysticism, astral projection, meditation, etc. out there. You don't have to buy a yoga book.

would you name some for me

This tbh. Once you can maintain control of your breathing and center your mind on demand, it's great. Yeah, it sounds gay as hell. Yoga isn't bad if you do it right, following the idea that as moves the body, so follows the mind. It's not really about physical flexibility, which is good on its own for those interested in fitness, it's about mindfulness, being aware of your body and, as always, controlling your breathing.

Just fucking kill me, fam.

I wish I could; I had a family friend give me one when I was a kid but that was 20 years ago. My constructive suggestion would be to search for books on the occult, and make sure they were originally printed before the 1960s. That should get you in the ballpark. Check the public library system first, and if you don't find them, check the library at a good university.

Tell me, how much information did you attain before getting redpilled? Surely it was more than just your own personal life experiences. And did you attain this information by meditation? The answer can only be no, there are experiences and stories which only exist outside of you.

That's like asking what the best book is on how to draw or something. All the reading in the world won't do any good unless you actually practice.

i think you have misunderstood, i dont have an interest in yoga. i only mentioned that as an example of something to avoid.

im looking for a spiritual discipline that a learned aryan man might adopt. if it originates from buddhism, i dont mind, as i do find its philosophies tasteful although i would like to supplement it with european equivalents if they exist.

dumb post, an introduction is helpful for something that is this abstract

"I Am That" by Sri Nissargadatta Maharaj is the most intuitively powerful method I have encountered

Meditation in Asia goes back way further than Buddhism. The Jhanas are mental states that existed before Buddhism but were integral according to the Buddha to reach enlightenment. I would suggest looking up meditative techniques used by the Theravada branch of Buddhism.

What is a straw man.

yeah origins was the wrong word, my b. i'll look into that as much as i can. thank you. is there any literature i can find online about this?

This is good:
bookzz.org/book/817954/a3dc98

Forgot title:
Undoing Yourself with Energized Meditation

/thread

You could do a 10 day course in the Mahasi or Goenka traditions. I know Goenka centers don't charge for a retreat (you can donate after you've completed one).

If you're looking for a good center, look into the lineage and how long it has been around. New Age congregations are probably going to be overwhelmingly focused on positive things, feeling good. Real spiritual practice will help you feel good, but it involves lots of hard work and facing your demons.

In terms of books, the Visuddhimagga is a good choice, but it's massive. Kalu Rinpoche has a collection called Dharma Teachings (3 volumes) that's pretty good. Daniel Ingram's MCTB is another good one, and that's available online, for free. Another book is White Moon and the Mountain Peak by Damo Mitchell, who teaches a Taoist approach to meditation.

Your best bet is to find a legit school or a method that works for you and stick with it for awhile. That should net the best results.

My bad user, in Theravada Buddhism the Jhanas' role as being necessary for enlightenment is still debated. But as someone who has been in a lower Jhana, breathing and mindfulness meditations are always a good place to start. You'll know when you get into a Jhana state when you stop feeling he passage of time and/or your body sensations. It's been a over a year since I stopped being a Buddhist so this is a bit of a refresher for myself as well and been quite a while since I read this book. You can skip to chapter 2 if you want to get right to the practice. I wouldn't get too involved with religious side of Buddhism because it can become a bit nihilistic. You'll just want to meditate all day and not give a fuck about anything at all "since nothing truly exists except suffering."