I couldn't find a Dorf Fort thread on Holla Forums or /tg/. Where is it normally discussed here?

I couldn't find a Dorf Fort thread on Holla Forums or /tg/. Where is it normally discussed here?
Anyways, Dwarf Fortress thread.

What LNP settings do you use? I'm trying to decide if I should use temperature or not, since I have heard it's a massive fps sink with almost no gain.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/QFUnF
8ch.net/v/res/7635734.html
archive.is/bahoJ
8ch.net/v/res/7594132.html
archive.is/Y7yR2
8ch.net/v/res/7572127.html
archive.is/FjXKW
8ch.net/v/res/7549996.html
archive.is/eAfTV
8ch.net/v/res/7531355.html
archive.is/NkZvK
8ch.net/v/res/7516804.html
archive.is/gHHeo
8ch.net/v/res/7498546.html
archive.is/CEd8G
8ch.net/v/res/7480420.html
archive.is/ap4gz
8ch.net/v/res/7459287.html
archive.is/78NEZ
8ch.net/v/res/7429079.html
archive.is/offset=870/http://8ch.net/v*
archive.is/LKQD7
8ch.net/v/res/7381584.html
archive.is/4pwxh
8ch.net/v/res/7357351.html
archive.is/XEXl3
8ch.net/v/res/7376075.html
archive.is/vercg
8ch.net/v/res/7344636.html
archive.is/Ox0WR
8ch.net/v/res/7310185.html
archive.is/svpZ5
8ch.net/v/res/7265435.html
archive.is/eaKPW
8ch.net/v/res/7236849.html
archive.is/USUqL
8ch.net/v/res/7141533.html
archive.is/kj2TE
8ch.net/v/res/7083952.html
twitter.com/dwarffortbugs
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=1011801a2cf4d87ca5bd504bef479c08&topic=110704.0
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154587.0
bay12games.com/dwarves/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's occasional threads on here, more so when updates were aplenty.

You're on a chinese animated motionpicture imageboard user, this place is made out of pure autismium.

I see
How do I de-homo my game? I just remembered that was a thing while deciding on my animals.

wait what? why is that a concern for livestock?

Because I want pigs that breed so I can eat their children?

Shouldn't you be in a League of Legends general or something?

I don't think livestock get gay. Also, if you don't make all elves bisexual girly-men you're not gay.

I was convinced to try the warlocks mod, but haven't had the time to try it yet. I've been playing DF for quite some time, but all my forts die to a 2month break. Then, when I come back, I just can't figure out what the fuck I was thinking when I designed the shit. And it all breaks apart. Fun times though.

Anything can catch gay.
According to the wiki, only 73% of anything are ungay, and like 1.2% are strict homos.

Has anyone played recently?
Has Toady fixed the bug where enemies would get free when transporting them to pits or dwarves refusing to do it outright?
3 times now I have made large elaborate dungeons, each more in depth then the last just to find out that some bug occurred that would make prisoners instantly break free once transported or never get taken out of cage in the first place.

I'm pretty sure you can set the gay levels in [install directory]/raw/objecs

use notepad++ you fucking non-faggot

Just like real life.
I didn't like traps until I started hanging around you faggots.

Fuck off retard, there's nothing wrong with DF.

Just pray the gay away user

So that's where it is.
Is there an overall place to do it or do I have to manually add the tags to every animal I want to cure of faggotry?

what happens if you set the gay level to max?

Nothing breeds
Assuming you mean disabling hetero as well.
You can have 100% bi, or whatever combination you want.
Bi faggots can breed I think but at a lesser rate obviously.

food beasts can be exclusively gay?
thats gotta be a bug

ctrl+f for [ORIENTATION]

if it doesn't have the tag I guess you have to un-gay everything yourself

then everything is gay

what do you expect dumbass

If you set everything to full-gay and then generate a world everything dies before you get to play.

OK, The Artificial Standard shall embark with a shitton of straight sows and bitches.
No homo was had t hat day.

Here.

There hasn't been a thread in weeks

I just wanted to have a reason to say

I wish you could set 'lust' levels so you could force she-dorfs to be perma pregnant
This is my fetish

why children are terrifying.
I once made a dungeon suspended over lave where I had dwarven children compete for food by dodging magma crab bullets.
The hope was to get super dwarves but only resulted in a lot of dead children.
Win/win

Thanks for reminding me that I should get around to playing this game again.

DF wackiness will never, ever get old.

/tg/
Never use LNP.

Why not?

fuck yes, time to have a fire lizard pit

fuck this game

You should have waited for the magical moment of 100 ticks before he stepped on there smartass. They can probably move at least 9 tiles in that time.

Being a lazy newb when you aren't new makes you a lazy noob. You'll have more !!FUN!! if you actually know how to do that shit yourself so you can properly edit raws and stuff once you get bored of vanilla

Fuck that, it's just useful having allt he .inis and shit to edit from the interface. Got real tired of backing in and out of directories to test shit.

Alright boys, new embark with the new build. Where am I settling? What's my goal?

Fuck this guy, I deserve an embark and a goal more!
I actually just started one, but I'm about to abandon it because it has no iron and no enemy civs.
I think.
If there's only your civ on the civ screen, that means no invasions, right?

Late reply, I made these for Notepad++.
Replace
[FEMALE]
with
[FEMALE]\n\t\t[ORIENTATION:MALE:0:0:100]\n\t\t[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:100:0:0]
and
[MALE]
with
[MALE]\n\t\t[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:0:100]\n\t\t[ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0]

Alright, start in a place with at least two neighbors or a tower. No farming, all food must be herbalism, bought, livestock or fishing.

Also dude, look near dwarven cities for embarks with iron and flux if that's your fancy.

I did that, but apparently you have to do that in like a dozen files, so I just did it for domestic animals as that's all that really matters.

What the fuck are my dwarves supposed to drink, wood alcohol?
Can I at least do some elf (above ground) farming?

Nope. Get plants from herbalism. Hope your dwarves like turnip wine.

Domestic and standard, I'd say.

Honey into mead would be one alternative to drink.

Never tried having an apiary. I'll look into that.

Does breaching the caverns and making a huge empty muddy room count as "farming"

Select every creature_ -file, open them with right click, and use "Replace all in all opened documents". Use the extended option so it recognizes the formatting.

Only if you're farming in it. If you use herbalism to gather what may grow that's fine. Come on now, give me some conditions. I need to get my dwarf on.

No Gates.
Medium evil minimum, freezing temperature, high savagery, your industry must all be above ground. This includes magma industry if you get that far.

OH FUCKIN' THANKS M8

I'll post pictures of whatever the fuck happens. This'll be fun.

Is there menu that lists what colonies are in your embark?

I only use it because i have a laptop because im such a lazy shit to re-bind everything

If you don't have bees in your embark are you fucked as far as that goes?
How do you check if you have bees?

(checked)
>Honey bee colonies are one of a number of "colony" type tile features, and so it is possible that all of your "slots" are occupied by other, more boring things. If you do not have any honey bee colonies on your screen, then you (obviously) cannot have a beekeeping industry, at least not until a honey bee colony spawns.
They can spawn over time, so you'll be stuck with turnip wine for a while.

back to reddit with your memeshit """"""game"""""

>my zombie minions finally kill the fucking thing

Why are night trolls so goddamn annoying lads?

fukin casual

I could but there was no way I would be able to escape a werebeast at the speed I was moving at, even when I have the zombies acting as a giant meatshield

I think you need to get werebeasted before necromancy, or was that just vampirism?

You could have equipped crutches to get your old movespeed back eventually. Even with no legs i believe it still works.

I'm not completely sure but I think it doesn't work on vampires

unless I could hold the crutches in my mouth, I wasn't going anywhere near my former speed anytime soon

Yes, but how do I see if I have any without scanning the entire aboveground map?

not necessary. however zombies will ignore you and the necromancer will be friendly if you are a vampire, so that makes the whole thing much easier.

you can get a werebeast curse by toppling a statue in a temple too, but you have a 50% of turning into a vampire instead. does anyone know if you can be both at the same time?

Crutches reminds me of an old adventurer of mine.

Live by the asphyxiation, die by the asphyxiation.

Perfect.

filenames might have thread/post/id numbers

old archived threads
op dated @ 12/27/15 (Sun)
archive.is/QFUnF
8ch.net/v/res/7635734.html

12/24/15 (Thu)
archive.is/bahoJ
8ch.net/v/res/7594132.html

12/23/15 (Wed)
archive.is/Y7yR2
8ch.net/v/res/7572127.html

12/21/15 (Mon)
archive.is/FjXKW
8ch.net/v/res/7549996.html

12/20/15 (Sun)
archive.is/eAfTV
8ch.net/v/res/7531355.html

12/18/15 (Fri)
archive.is/NkZvK
8ch.net/v/res/7516804.html

12/16/15 (Wed)
archive.is/gHHeo
8ch.net/v/res/7498546.html

12/15/15 (Tue)
archive.is/CEd8G
8ch.net/v/res/7480420.html

12/14/15 (Mon)
archive.is/ap4gz
8ch.net/v/res/7459287.html

12/12/15 (Sat)
archive.is/78NEZ
8ch.net/v/res/7429079.html

archive.is/offset=870/http://8ch.net/v*

12/09/15 (Wed)
archive.is/LKQD7
8ch.net/v/res/7381584.html

12/07/15 (Mon)
archive.is/4pwxh
8ch.net/v/res/7357351.html

archive.is/XEXl3
8ch.net/v/res/7376075.html

12/06/15 (Sun)
archive.is/vercg
8ch.net/v/res/7344636.html

12/04/15 (Fri)
archive.is/Ox0WR
8ch.net/v/res/7310185.html

12/02/15 (Wed)
DWARF FORTRESS 0.42.01 (December 1, 2015)
archive.is/svpZ5
8ch.net/v/res/7265435.html

11/30/15 (Mon)
archive.is/eaKPW
8ch.net/v/res/7236849.html

11/24/15 (Tue)
11/23/2015 Toady One We're done with the list
archive.is/USUqL
8ch.net/v/res/7141533.html

11/20/15 (Fri)
how do I get into Dwarf fortress?
archive.is/kj2TE
8ch.net/v/res/7083952.html

We haven't had one of these threads for a really long time. Mostly because until Toady actually updates shit, there's really nothing new to talk about. Yeah, it's a great game but it gets stale if you can't come up with new ideas to kill your dwarves off.

Attempted to play this long ago and couldn't figure out how to play it.
Gonna have another stab at it now that I'm older and wiser.

Give tips, or fuck me over. I know nothing and I'll share what happens if I can make any progress.

The legends generation seems to take a while, was 250 years a wise choice?

You can stop it whenever you want
Also, open up a wiki tab, and look up everything that confuses you.
[k] let's you examine things if you aren't sure what to look up.

thanks but no thanks, autismo.

You know, pretending to quote people when you're saying something completely different is bad manners.
What part of "know how to do that stuff" do you not understand?
Plus changing the settings to whatever you'd do in the LNP would take an hour tops, including researching how to do it. You don't have to do it every singe time you play. If you're seriously so retarded you spend half the time you've ever spent playing this game on settings you need to consider removing yourself from the genepool.

I was stuck for a while trying to figure out how to move Z-levels but I figured it out and made my first stockpile.

Attempting to breed some rabbits for food but they don't seem interested and I'm not sure how to catch other animals.
We seem to be surviving with the nearby plants and the seeds from those for now.
Autumn has arrived.

Animals seem to have a variable on species cooldown for breeding. It's normally about once a month for larger animals (pigs), not sure about rabbits.
IIRC according to the wiki bunnies don't give meat, while hares do, so be careful.

The rapist says I got a wave that size, but I only see 3.
What's up with that?

So I was building a trench to attempt to irrigate my farm plots and didn't realise I was digging into my fort.

Anyone here play using Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom? It's a mario-themed overhaul mod, and it's pretty good. I actually prefer it over vanilla DF…

Holla Forums, do you know of any good texture packs that work with the latest version? The last time I searched for them, I only found that faggoty "gempack" that said it was 42.0 compatible.

the lazy newb pack has a bunch of tilesets included with it.

Today user learned to always make his fort ~5 zlevels below the surface.

The 'Channeling' option always digs down one level. Those arrows you see on the bottom level pointing up are a Ramp that your Dwarves (and any animals/beasties) can walk up/down.

You had the right idea, you just didn't know exactly what channeling did.
Also, to get the most out of your aboveground farms, b-O for 'Dirt Roads' that you can just build a farm on top of. And don't worry about Irrigation, it doesn't do anything unless you're trying to make a farm on Stone tiles.

the balls on this one

Managed to block up the leak before it could do too much damage, I only lost one bedroom.
Also I'm pretty sure my hunters are sitting around doing sweet fuck all so I'm running out of food pretty swiftly.
I've made many crossbows and bolts but the lardarses just sit in the meeting area doing nothing.
I'm not sure how to make them go out and hunt other than make a military and watch my squad wrestle ferrets and ravens.

It's possible that there is nothing to hunt.
Press u, go to 'Other' and see if there are any above-water animals, like deer/boars for them to kill. If it's not in the Other menu they won't hunt it, and if it's underwater I don't think they will either, I think that's how Toady got hunting dwarves to stop hunting Carp so much.

What you could also do is turn on the fishing labors for your hunting dwarves. Keep in mind you will always need at least one dedicated Fish Cleaner for every two Fisherdwarves. And if there's a river nearby, congrats you now have unlimited food. Don't forget to slaughter the useless animals that aren't pets you get in migrant waves either, they can end up being a good source of food as well, and it will slightly help keep your framerate up.

And if you can, make an underground farm ASAP, plump helmets are easy food/wine. You can also make some Stepladders and harvest fruits from trees.
Make Nest-Boxes and designate egg-laying animals like Turkeys to stay around them, they'll make food appear out of thin air considering that 90% of egg-layers don't need to eat grass.

Also one of the children that moved in got taken by a fey mood and made some masterwork stone mug.

dwarves and elves have always been best of friends

you get used to it after an hour or so.

ok just downloaded it, picked up some fish that i dropped went outside got mugged and died

Y

So, I've been playing a bit of Mushroom Kingdom Fortress. Started up a Koopa fort and stuff, then I decided to give The Rapist a try. It was at this point that I realized I have no idea what The Rapist is even used for. I see a listing of what my Koopas stats are, is it just to view stats?

I love that toady is, through game mechanics, showing how too many immigrants and homosexuals are an impediment to a stable culture. Ted Kaczynski, eat your heart out.

i don't know if i like how the engravings are shown now, it's a bit confusing

Do you think the newer versions fix enough to not just go back? Runs like real trash recently for me.

Nah, you're a cunt. If you already know how to do that shit, LNP is just convenient. Fuck off, you Chadass dorf.
Eat my fat golden sleeved dorf cock.

You can change the setting in the init file.

I gave up on that when the dorfs kept getting stuck in the treees and dying. Disabled that option in all the gathering zones after that.

Wish we could plant trees. I'd like to build orchards and produce barrels of cider and perry.

Nice. Don't forget to enable that labor on him when he finally grows up (which might be never).

Therapist is for viewing all your dwarves and assigning them labors in a more organized system than the default game.

It's generally a smart idea to not engrave the floors.

What's the craziest forgotten beast anons here have seen?

Mine has to have been a huge elk with rotting flesh, massive bat wings, and poison gas breath that liquefied a dwarf's insides.

Oh, and I mean insides. Did nothing to skin, but eyes, lungs, and all internal organs became soup.
Left them as oozing sacks of gore.

All I can remember was a firebreathing skinless dinosaur, and some kind of giant winged tick.

Might have been a one-eyed dust-spewing raven as well. I've generally played safe with the FBs; if something comes knocking, I lock the door. I like to isolate the mineshafts from the rest of the fort for this purpose.

I did fight a forest titan though. It was a blob made of coral that spit webbing. It beat almost my entire military to death. Afterwards was when the firebreathing dinosaur came in.

Enjoy your goblins.

arts abounds

That's pretty funny. Be careful with Moods though, if they don't get the stuff they need they could go berserk and start attacking everyone they see.

Fuck off treehugger.

I never personally had a problem with it, I think toady fixed it.

Had this message appear but nothing of note happened.
What was supposed to happen?
Was I supposed to receive an ass reaming?

Necromancer siege. Should just be a few zombies at your wealth level. Later on the necromancer himself could come along which would start reanimating any butchered animal parts you have laying around.

Necromancers are a quality source of Fun.

rip

never figured out what tileset this was

also
>>>/tg/202895

i use temperature when playing with magma

waste of dubs

This design allows to convert evey 3 adjacent commoner rooms into a complete luxury noble accommodation with some good engravings

That is pretty slick. Wish you knew what it was so you could tell me.

That first picture is A E S T H E T I C. I kinda want that tileset too, but I'm also too lazy to learn how to install tilesets

Jesus christ, i started playing a few months ago and now i just feel inadequate

get the lazy newb pack

Don't, those pictures really are made from pure, unfiltered autism.
The game doesn't have to be autistic mind you, but then people go and do some shit like these builds that took so much time to plan out, you'd think the person playing was a German guy trying to finish a job.

It's almost as bad as those 'Mega-Builds' people do in AutismBlox, except you can get it done quicker with Legendery Miners that are piss-easy to get.

Not to mention all but the second one in are ineffecient as fuck and even that one requires some a fuckload of dwarves to walk too damn far. It looks like they're made to be pretty to the player, not functional in any sense of the word, which makes me wonder why they would fucking do this rather than just fucking around in Windows Paint.

I haven't actually seen many images of Toad forts. Care to share?

DF has two kinds of autism: hyper-efficiency autism, and super-aesthetics autism.

It's why succession forts are fun. The two keep fighting each other, in-between people who just do stupid and silly shit. Which is what I am. LET'S BUILD GREENHOUSES AND GROW LOTS OF USELESS SHIT LIKE POTATOES

twitter.com/dwarffortbugs

Yes, but there are templates and shit you can use with plugins/mods though, so you can 'just' do it with a few key presses and a loaded template.

I've built most of my previous forts for efficiency, but i have to say, building for efficiency gets old. At some point making a sprawling 1-z-level beautiful fortress becomes just another challenge to give yourself.

There's two kinds of aestethics-autisms as well, the "this design looks pretty in DF" kind, and the "this would look awesome in 3D" kind.

Is there a simpler way to create tasks when creating?
I'm currently pressing q and manually moving over to the workstation I want to do something with.

Holy shit what the fuck are my dwarves doing?

God damn Dastot.
I'm going to recruit him into the military I think.
The militia commander approved of his actions in any case.

I love this game.

assign manager, give orders

Forgive my ignorance, but what in the world is a Toad Fort?

Mushroom Kingdom mod adds a whole bunch of playable races, and I think they all have different playstyles as well. It seems to be pretty popular.

You probably know what a Toad from Mario is. Those Toads.

What said.

Koopas are similar to your traditional "go in the ground and never come out" dorfiness, with the addition of magic and flying castes and a few other things.

Toads are your economy-based race, with notably unneedy nobles, and war-yoshis.

Shyguys are weird in that they can create certain things out of nothing whatsoever, but those things degrade over time unless you actually use them in construction.

this is the first time ive heard of this too

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=1011801a2cf4d87ca5bd504bef479c08&topic=110704.0
It's an overhaul, too. Meaning you can delete everything in the raw folder before installing this and it'll still work.

2CAT
LMAO

can i breed chain chomps?

If you're a Koopa fort, absolutely. In fact, Chomps are one of the best war animals in the game because of how goddamn durable they are.

how do i find a fucking vampire

vamp bling
catching him red handed

A lot of times a vampire will be the leader of a civ so I guess you could just go around accusing every lord you find until they reveal themselves.

I had 5 moderately trained soldiers.
I was in no way shape or form ready for this.

My artifact experiences in a nutshell.

Best ones I ever got were grates and doors that I just shoved in the dining room.

Good job Urist, you made a warhammer out of cat bones. You've made me proud.

I've yet to actually see someone play the game with the original files alongside the Mushroom Kingdom ones.

Dwarves loves mushrooms, they'd fit right in.

Yes, but be sure to be careful, as Chain Chomps will sometimes just flip the fuck out and bite something. It's best to actually put them on chains, as befitting their name.

Time for Lord of the Flies.

Oh shit, someone else who plays Mushroom Kingdom!

Goddamn

I once got a legendary steel spear. I also happened to have a queen that dreamed of becoming a soldier, so I made her commander of a squad, kitted them all in full masterwork steel gear and put them in a room by the fort entrance. They killed dragons and titans like nothing. Never did test them against forgotten beasts tho. FPS death and all that.

I'm wondering if that's because in the first siege I had, there were 0 enemies.
Perhaps they got saved up for the next siege.

Invaders can hide.

needs more gifs

Gonna bump

I've been trying to piss off the fucking elves so I can remove knifeear but the fucking bitches take it all lying down. I've slaughtered their caravan and exploded their diplomat's head with a hammer and they haven't come knocking. Is there something else I can do?

All you have to do is trade them some wood items.

So they don't mind it if I kill them all with hammers, but trying to give them a wooden figurine is going too far?

They're hippies. What did you expect?

Well shit. Since I killed their caravan they aren't sending anymore. Guess I'll have to just use goblins in my shooting gallery then.

What the fuck, he randomly generates real music. Shit man where is a program I can use to compose music? I want to try this out.

LMMS is a free one, or you could torrent Fruity Loops.

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154587.0

Oh shit, people still remember when I did that?
I should get back to doing stuff like that,

Songwriter-user here again to bump.

Also to say that the hardest part of writing Dwarf Fortress songs is that the engine uses a quartertone system to determine scales instead of a semitone system. Basically meaning DF music can have a note halfway between what the entirety of Western music considers notes.

Is that so.

Have you been letting survivors run home to tell everyone exactly what you've been doing?

Because if you kill everyone, it's just going to seem mysterious to the outside world. You have to let one asshole run home to tell the tales of your "misdeeds."

why they use a system like that instead of the semitone system?

I have no clue, but it certainly makes accurately protraying DF songs more difficult.

bring it up with toady

I know Arabic music also uses a quarter tone system. A half-flat is very common in many maqamat, which are basically the Arabic equivalent of modes.

I'm going to ask the obligatory question for this thread. How do I get into DF?

bay12games.com/dwarves/
dwarffortresswiki.org/

From reading the instrument descriptions I don't think it's going to be easy to replicate without using the old school method of making 80's movie sound effects if they're legendary.

Shit, that makes sense. Though I did read somewhere that if their diplomat doesn't return it makes them invade. Maybe it was changed in a patch.

what will we do when dwarf fortress characters are able to hold a conversation?
i mean, besides make the best fucking fort we can

has toady fixed sieges yet? as in they never ever happened

i wanna play again but i dont wanna build my fort and then be bored

Goblins raided me just the other day, so I assume it's been fixed.

cheers mate

Dorfbump

would you a rimworld gui for df?

The whole point of DF is to as ugly and unappealing as possible to keep the normalfags out.

Also simplicity is of gui forces the player to use their own imagination

New to DF here.
And by new, I mean I haven't started yet.
What tilesets do you recommend for beginners?

What mod lets me play as the Ant Men?

curses square
spacefox and phoebus if you're a casual

ASCII

No it isn't you hipster piece of thrash, the whole point of DF is to be a fantasy world generator with as intricate of a simulation as possible, and Toady wants to focus on that more than making the UI easy to use for now.

You can recommend ASCII, I'd even say it's helpful for learning the game, but at least tell new people to use a color scheme along with it. Default is pretty grating on the eyes.

CLA - if you want to listen to the ASCII purists
Phoebus - If you want graphics

I use Phoebus for fort mode and CLA for adventure since graphical tilesets don't translate as well to adventure mode.

Whatever you do don't use the default ASCII, having a rectangular grid instead of square is a level of suffering nobody's autism should be forced to endure.