GF has ended

Is the "deepest lore" era over?

I'm not just referring to lore tho, I'm referring to the attempts in mainstream cartoons to maintain proper setting, continuity and characterisation while becoming slightly less episodic in nature. Have these attempts proved to be futile and too unprofitable (when compared to episodic comedies without attempts at fleshed-out settings and character development) to survive in the Western market? The only show that still attempts this and remains fairly stable is Star Vs.

Yep and it got replaced with something even shittier.

it's getting bleak considering kids are enjoying the more cringy "lawl meemays" of Cristina Miller backed shit like ttg and unikitty I hope more shows like ok ko svtfoe Reddit and memey ducktales (woo-oo) and vld keep alive because say what you will about them they are keeping this genre alive

Whatever happened to actual plot-driven shows?
Like, almost completely non-episodic. Character development, world building or story happening in every episode.
I miss that.

Jews.

This. Its not a meme or being edgy. ;_;

This, plus it's too much effort for the new blood coming into the industry. They are terrified of being genuine because quirky irony is all they know.

what the hell are you talking about? the show's writers are miserly as hell when it comes to backstory, even when it would actually be appropriate.

How the "adults" can "like" make show like TTG or PPG 2016?

I mean, the idea about a group of adults trying to write something like that make me feel so disgusting.

Seriously i can't think about it.

We just got to wait for Young Justice.

It was probably more like
"How do we get ratings"
"Kids probably think fart jokes are funny"
"Twerkings popular"
"Kids like memes how about rage comics"

Don't worry, we still got the Unikitty show.

AT at the beginning did it nice because it was a medium, not an end. The whole post apocalyptic setting was just that, a setting, a background, and you usually just saw things that COULD have matter without being the main focus of the main story. After the Lich, everything went downhill. Specially because at the time they changed Bubblegum Princess voice in the latin dub
I'd say this genre gave birth to the subgenre of having things and little stories happening in the background, like MLP:FiM, it's something that always existed, but it have been attempted more often since.

Are you twelve? Use proper punctuation. Is Ducktales even deepest lore?

Avatar started as an episodic show that slowly build an overall plot. Sure, the plot was in the premise of the show, but it was episodic nonetheless, even by the end the show was pretty much episodic in a lot of points. Avatar in the beginning did pretty much what AT tried to do.

As I said, background characters were all the fanbase focus doing stupid theories about them. Writers tried to capitalize that and failed miserably, but they still do small backgrounds stories.

Before, I would have get that because it was something more or less professional. Most writers were childish, but they did most of the things thinking on what kids would like, like immature stuff like snots and stuff, and yet they didn't went full that direction unless they were actually trying, like E,E&E and Billy and Mandy. Now you see all those pretentious faggots that they their jobs way too serious with not even an once of professionalism. Fuck, a writter made a fucking self-insert of himself on PPG 2016. They do it because THEY think it's funny, they don't do it for the kids, they do it for themselves and their misguided sense of humor, that sadly affect kids.

That's more "lol so randum" than deepest lore, right? Like TTGO.

"deepest lore" was never WoY, even if it was the original intention

Strong suit, I mean

Man has it been that long? I remember when i first saw that pilot short of AT. I feel old as fuck now.

Had a weak conclusion thanks to how Hirsch had to rush at the end. To say nothing of Hirsch's Leftism getting rubbed into the show.

Got worse after Dominator showed up.

TLA went downhill after Book 3. The franchise never got better.

Good riddance.

They took too long getting Season 4 out. And it was for reddit anyway.

It has a bunch of cute or otherwise attractive characters in a Western show. They're not animals/monsters or filled with Niggers and fatties like SU.

It was more of a chain of Easter eggs really, a hidden edge to this show about a boy and dog doing silly stuff in a silly world

SU has loads of episodes that don't advance the plot.

They wanted to prevent a Season 3 with Twilicorn and EqG

They never existed, bud. There's only been a handful ever. 99% of them are just anime

It's base on the premise of gaining more viewers by making every episode a jump-in point so you won't be confused at what is happening in the story. What we have currently in cartoons is soft continuity. There is continuity but it is never the major premise of the show. It gets brought up when it is needed which can be good or bad. Steven Universe has that problem but that might also be because of the 15 minute time format allotted to it.

haha no

>Whatever happened to actual plot-driven shows?

I think cartoons like that are finding a better home online than on cable.

Those don't count.

In what way does that mean "AtLA"?

Makes me wonder if they should've kept it that way. Would've made it seem more mysterious and leave stuff for your mind to fill in.

I think LOA stands for Legend of Aang but I prefer AtLA as well.

It's funny I find Voltron ok as a show. Its fine but nowhere near the level as good as AtLA.

Been seeing that a lot recently

The fact that you used SU as an example of "deepest lore" shows me that you have no fucking idea of what you're talking about. That show's "lore" basically amounts to space rock dykes being horrible bitches to each other.

That's not how you spell 'lack of character growth for Mabel', user.
I would have to disagree with that. The show still kept the energy and same humor of the first season.

Is AT ending with Finn offing himself from all the psychological torture he has experienced for multiple seasons?

It's not just Mabel. Did you forget the Pick Up Artist episode?

1. Dominator was a mishandled villain who either kept pulling powers/items/whatever out of nowhere or got saved by Wander/Hater botching things up whenever it looked like her enemies got the upper hand.

2. Hater didn't get enough episodes to himself. If nothing else he needed an episode to address his sudden effectiveness in the last episdode.

>>>/pone/
>>>/mlp/
>>>/suicide/

continuity between episodes is likelly the only reason why any of these shows survived more than 12 episodes
Just look at the art, LOOK AT IT and tell me that is something a kid likes to watch
I remeber being a kid, i liked cool stuff
like Swat Cats, Gargoiles and all those edgy TMNT ripoffs
the main reason i droped western cartoons in favour of anime was because of continuity and cliffhangers at the end of every episode got me hooked but it was the art and cool looking characters that baited me into watching an episode in the first place
i can't understand the apeal of any of these ugly shows, what could posibly bait someone to wathc just one episode of it and get hooked in their continuity?
i could understand it if they were short episodic comedy shows like Dexter's lab, Animaniacs, Fairy God Parents or any of those show that really pull a smile out of you with silly jokes alones, but i could never take a story seriusly with characters that look like 3 year old drew them
it really boild my blood whenever i hear the (((creators))) of these turds say that "animu was an inspiration to them" only to literally ripoff concepts and animations frame by frame like SU does

You're all forgetting that the jews are only fucking everything up for us because they have an oligopoly in television where they all collude to produce crap, much like how there's only two big players in the comic book industry, and look how well that turned out. If we could make our own networks, like kikeflix, but without their significantly better and without their garbage, we could BTFO those dinosaurs and redpill millions of normalfags of what true quality cartoons are, much like what webcomics are doing for comic book readers as we speak.

Voltron plays it way too safe for me to enjoy it.

Not true at all. The second and third seasons were almost unbroken narratives from start to finish, excepting a few one-off episodes which broke the forward flow of story to fill in details; the "hey this is actually how the fire nation princesses tracked the bison through the forest, you see they used that bounty hunter with the star-faced mole thing" and "hey this is actually how toph escaped her kidnappers and invented metal bending" episodes show this.

The first season has just as much narrative drive, although it can feel less impactful because the episodes served the dual purpose of broadening the world and telling their own stories; within the first few, we learn about the genocide of the air nomads and water tribe, and the gang has the clearly established goal of getting to the northern water tribe for help. There was always something driving the characters in Avatar forward, even if it wasn't always visible.

You compare this to something like Steven Jewniverse and it's night and day. There's lip service paid to the idea of continuity, and that's it. AtLA had the decency to end the first story arc with the end of the first season, but to my knowledge the great, all-encompassing calamity/legion of war on its way to Earth in SU still hasn't been seen or explained, and many characters exist as cardboard cutouts.

But this is exactly my point. Avatar passing was even kind of comfy because even when all the pressing matters it had they still had the time to enjoy themselves and tell off-stories that even though added to the overall world like character building and stuff like that, they weren't really part of the main plot, but without dropping the main plot at all. Take the Kyoshi island episode or the fortune teller episode, they mostly expanded on characters with nothing really major happening except here and there.
Here is the thing, AT didn't exactly tried to do that when it started, but they settled the those things without even realizing, and that's the problem, they tried to do the transition in season 2 and season 3 but it went horribly wrong. If they just continued without any reference to those things in the main plot but just the background, it would have been nice, but the Lich almost shove in your face that the world is post apocalyptic. SU is just a fucking lost case, it doesn't know what to do with itself, same with Star vs.

How so?

If they were so serious about making it a trend, why did they do such a shitty fucking job at it?

You still have to make it for kids

Doesn't mean it needs to be shit.

Because bandwagoning.

Out of touch administration types don't know shit about what makes something good, so whatever gets attention they throw into whatever else.

Story progression and lore was a core component of some good shows, so they throw it into all the shows and expect it to automatically make another hit.

It's the neverending search for a magic bullet that simply can't exist.

"kids" reboots, gross toons, anime style, all of these were thrown around haphazardly with no care for why they worked.

Dude, back in the 80's and 90's this "it's for kids" shit nowhere arround! Overprotect the kids this much and you will surely live in a world where you are the minority and fat land whales dictate the rules… because everyone will be too autist to see the context

user, I'm curious: how do you feel about censorship, of any kind?

I waited 5 fucking years for that show man, was fucking ecstatic when I saw it coming out.
It really did go to shit after season 2 though, should have ended with the hug and the snail.

seriously, bahtub lich episode should have been the end

this has been a common problem in all media

Only good for verbal jokes and innuendos.

kids enjoy whatever you put in front of them tbh. especially young audiences.
However, put something *GOOD* in front of them, then they will look back at shit like unikitty and TTG, and they will gag.

You were a kid once, you should know this. I'm sure you watched shit that once you look back at, you realize it was shit, and pretend to never have watched it or enjoyed it.

They got driven into the ground by the likes of Adventure time, regular show, and others.

Because they are not adults.

They are manchildren who grew up writing at fanfiction.net, roleplaying as mary sues in their favorite cartoons. Now that they weaseled into a dying industry that has a far lower barrier to entry, and they will do it for next to nothing, they are allowed to pitch reboots of old shows and re-make them into their own image, with themselves put in as VERY IMPORTANT CHARACTERS.

TTG probably written by someone who unironically did shit like *HOLDS UP SPORK*

isnt that when goony beard man left the show and left it to side-shaved rainbow lesbians and nu-males?

yes

…what is GF, WoY, and RS?

Nickelodeon murder Avatar because they realized it made people have standards and expect quality

Gravity Falls was unwatchable for me becuz of the voice actor.

Never watched woy

Regular Show was….meh.

Which voice actor?

Plot driven shows for kids are hated by networks because the network not only has to air the episodes in order so the plot makes sense, thus keeping people from just jumping into it. (Mass Effect 3 is the perfect place to start the trilogy) It also means that if there are some shitty episodes they STILL have to be aired, where as shitty episodes of Spongebob or TTG can just be ignored and never rerun. "That one wasn't funny anyway so who cares, right?" So instead of cherry picking the top 40 episodes and airing 2-3 a day every day for years they have to show each and every one which means that the series is "locked in" to that time until the season is run or else autists won't REEEEEing at the normalfags choosing the lineup.

On streaming services like Netflix, it's whole nother story

Counterpoint: TLH is actually good compared to those shows.

bump

Shit, that picture reminded me that there had been a complete lack of talking about Steven Universe in months, maybe a year.

Did the show already imploded and kidded itself.?

For fuck's sake.

Sorry, I'll delete the last two.

If used sparingly enough in lewds/cheesecake to leave some bits to the imagination, it gets fun. Aside from that, only humor and mocking it.

We still got AT comics to look forward to.

Fuck you

And fuck you too, and your shit taste

I only read the main series, but think they got worse after ryan north stopped writing.

bump