Shouldn't capitalism be hitting a crisis of overproduction soon...

Shouldn't capitalism be hitting a crisis of overproduction soon? I mean there's only so many plastic lawn chairs that you can make right? Will people eventually realise they don't need a new smartphone every year? What happens then?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Op77ac-gwcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-1j0XDGIsUg
bls.gov/opub/mlr/2012/01/art4full.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The crisis hit a while ago. What you are seeing is neoliberalism scrambling to maintain the status quo in spite of all logic pointing to finding an alternative system.

Do you know OP?

The third world is still developing and they are still demanding a ton of products.

kys liberal

First, you have to understand that everything in eco9nomics is a lie. When they say "crisis of overproduction" they mean a crisis of underconsumption, that is the working class is too exploited.

The economy is demand driven though

Are you fucking serious?

1. it means the same shit
2. it's a marxist term

This. Microelectronics are actually destroying the need for an enormous range of products (think about how many tasks general purpose computing can do now), so much so that as notes, it has been forced to start moving into the "developing markets" to continue growth.

Oh! But you see!
It;s not about "Needing" a new smartphone. It's about not having the means to buy an new smartphone.

Overproduction doesn't mean people not needing to buy. It means, supply grows too much and demand cannot handle it, so profit lowers and companies raise prices to cover loss of profit thus making products even more unreachable for the consumers and then they have to let more people go and consumer power falls further and then THE STOCKMARKET BREAKS! PEOPLE ON THE STREET! BARRICADES EVERYWHERE! CHAOS ON EARTH! KILL THE RICH AND EAT THEIR FLESH! A GIANT ORGY ON TOP OF A PILE OF iPHONES!

So… that's how overproduction works…
You want a link for Das Kapital the mango, or does the mangafox version work for you?

Smartphones have quite a bit of built in obsolescence, so it's not really a case not people realising they don't need a new phone.

They'd have to realise they can do without a phone.

but they won't, actually; truth be told, we probably can't.

youtube.com/watch?v=Op77ac-gwcQ

you like memes, I like memes, let's just enjoy the memes

I think this might be incorrect
According to this Marxist blogger thenextrecession.WordPress.com
In most previous crisis (cyclical 'busts') profits fall first, then investment contracts, and consumer demand doesn't fall until after the recession is underway

Consumer culture and imperialism can only get you so far. Check back next century.

Capitalists will create crisis then other capitalists will solve it.

Such as every crisis that have happened.

The neo-liberals have outdone themselves in fooling the masses and working against to destroy them through it

Fuck overproduction, where is my god damned stock market crash? All these capitalists throwing money into stocks because it's the only investment left that isn't shit, and allowing smug liberals to insist that it constitutes a 'recovery.'

Crash the stock market, and then the fun can begin.

people are just reverting to building pyramids again.
needs almost no resources, produces nothing useful and everyone is busy.
the pyramids were built by farmers when the nile flooded the fields and they were paid for it, slaves were just a small part of the workforce.
these days the pyramids look different and are even cheaper to produce, but the effect is the same.

also you can artificially generate demand for products, with ads and billboards. that too is productivity in capitalism, selling shit to people, telling them that it itches until they involuntarily start scratching.

forgot to mention planned obsolescence.

We are already in a crisis of overproduction.

is this some kind of joke? crisis just happened, and it's pretty much still ongoing, next one is "just around the corner".
what are you expecting? total panic and anarchy? btw fuck you triggered anarkiddy fagglets

We're already in a capitalist crisis of overproduction/underconsumption. China keeps pumping out tons of steel, depressing the price and threatening the British steel industry. And that's just one example as the overall global production slowdown continues and all industries contract and shed jobs.

Lol

There is something you missed, user. Its called planned obsolescence.

See documentary:
youtube.com/watch?v=-1j0XDGIsUg

Don't tell me you never heared of this.

Capitalism will hit almost total crisis in 30 years. There's nothing anyone can do about it.

it's in a constant state of crisis, OP. Requesting the image of the graph of rate of profit.

Ironically, these same products have been a boon to the least developed nations–turns out to a poor farmer, a cheap smartphone with satellite service or a basic tower network is more useful than new roads. Who knew?

looks like Rosa was right after all

this.

Artificial Scarcityyy and supposed updates and hype bullshit for the next big thing.

That's bullshit people make up when they feel guilty about being mindless consumers. I still use a computer from 2004 with a VGA monitor and a smart phone from 2011. They work fine.

The newest smart phone having 128gb while your model from last year has 64gb is not obsolescence nor does it justify forking over money for the new model.

Why are you un-post-ironicly responding to me? Do you want my attention or something trip-san?

If the average consumer did that the market would fucking freeze.

.. / …- .. . .– / -..-. .-.. . ..-. - -.– .–. — .-.. -..-. / — -. .-.. -.– / -… -.– / - .. -.-. -.- . .-. - .- .–. . / .- -. -.. / – — .-. … . / -.- . -.– .-.-.- / .- -. -.– — -. . / - …. .- - / -.-. — – .–. .-.. .- .. -. … / .- -… — ..- - / .-..-. .–. .-.. .- -. -. . -.. / — -… … — .-.. . … -.-. . -. -.-. . .-..-. / .. … / .— ..- … - / .- / .– …. .. -. . .-. .-.-.-

Capitalism has been in a crisis of overproduction for damn near 100 years.

Webm related.

Congratulations but I've had my phone for 3 years and the wifi broke just after the warranty and the printer we had that worked fine broke down for no reason. But sure, its just an excuse.

that's not nice, user

I don't think using a VGA monitor is good for your eyes.

But your point is well taken, but on top of physically breaking you have software updates that consume more computer resources then older version did. You're forced to upgrade if you want to continue using the same apps.

What about the falling rate of profit?

Absolutely beautiful digits my man.

I'll answer your question with a link:
bls.gov/opub/mlr/2012/01/art4full.pdf
In other words, capitalism as it has evolved apparently can't hit an overproduction crisis. Somehow. Incomprehensibly.

the crisis will be from robots. Tons of cheaply produced products and no will be able to buy them because they don't have a job.

yes.. no well paid working class no consumers.

Unless globalism, then you can pay people .25 cents and sell your stuff to the us lol.
Classic China.

Endless war will save the system.

“The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labour. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent.”
― George Orwell, 1984

The trick will be keeping the conflict going without it being decisive.

But It's happening.

Who buys it? American prosperity was built by union workers who could afford to buy the things they made. Sure, Nike can make it's over-priced gym shoes for nothing with Asian child labor, but none of those child workers will ever buy those shoes.

What happens after the Multinational Corporations outsourced everything and there are no consumers left in America to buy their crap?

This is already unfolding..

You can't just post some data from the BLS when I've posted a link to the BSL five mins ago, that's eeeeeeevvvvvvvvvil.
But yes, paying employees 50 cents a week is unsustainable in the long term. IN THE LONG TERM.
Caught my meme tho lol.

…Or, you know, you can look at what's already happening and notice that, the more productivity there is, the more people both turn towards cultural production and inefficient methods of production (e.g. organic food).
M8, it's really incomprehensible how the fuck does capitalism stand. But it does.

and crop yields are predicted to drop by 2050 due to fossil aquifer depletion and a shortage of phosphorus for chemical fertilizer.

We will no longer be able to stay off the Malthusian catastrophe.

The future is going to be very terrible.

Look at the Bond/Money market, so much excess capital bond yields are below inflation. This is key to excess wealth in the world.

What is that? I make art or something.. Mass production, and mass media means that only a few really great artist types get to make a living.

Why listen to me try to play the guitar when you have Jimi Hendrix at your finger tips?

Doesn't matter that Jimi is long dead, his art is still a great product.

O RLY?

Crisis of overproduction is in place since the late 70s you derp. The only thing keeping the West afloat is credit expansion and imperialism.

bampu

holy shit I thought you were dead

This
I think there's more empirical evidence that crisis is triggered by falling profit and investment (which is falling consumption as well, in a way)

But consumption didn't fall before the crisis
Profitability fell first, then investment, then crisis, and then consumption fell after

Overproduction isn't the marxist theory of crises, the falling rate of profit is.