Lake of Fire

Who's ready for crusaders, aliens, and WORDS?! I can't promise much commentary as I'm not very good at it or remembering what happens on each page.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montaillou_(book)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Here we meet out two protagonists. Blonde one and brown haired one. Wishing to become full fledged crusaders because of god and knightlyhood or some such. It's gonna take a while before we get back to the aliens for real. Prepare for a lotta reading.

If I wanted that I would get a book
Damn.

Now we bring in our next major character. Gruff tired old soldier who's fed up with the world.

The smell of heresy and evil is thick in the air. Or maybe that's just all the peasants.

Now we have our 4th major protag. Girl. But more importantly… AYYS!

And that closes off our first issue. So far we got crusader weebs learning the reality of their sought after work, a pissed off old soldier, obligatory red head girl, and giant red fleas killing shit left and right. It's like a poor 90's horror movie in comic form.

Kicking off issue two, we waste no time explaining the situation to everyone else. Surely they'll see reason when the brave crusaders come riding back into town ranting and raving about giant bug aliens eating people. Right?

Remember kids, always kill a heretic swiftly and effectively. Even if setting up defenses for your stronghold would be far more beneficial in a time of crisis.

Bit more action this time around. Probably because there's a lower page count now. End of issue 2.

They got the shota. Mission complete. Time to fuck off.

Hope you all enjoy more dialogue. With a dash of homo-eroticism.

End of issue 3. Beginning of the trek into enemy territory.

Gruff McSoldier Man has a heart after all.

Title drop and tragedy.

Fat Friar Frollo is really persistent. End of issue 4.

You'll never have a badass last stand against unending hoards of horrors.

Everyone's fucking dead. But so are the aliens so it's okay. Goodnight and God bless.

I like it, yet I would like to see one inquisitor that isn't a psychotic mad man for once and actually care for people's souls by torturing them over and over to accept christ so they can have christian lives.

Thanks

Won't happen. A comic writer willing to accept that you don't have to be crazy to be cruel sticks to subjects like Punisher.

Historyfag here to nitpick the shit out of this.
Let me start off by saying that I did actually enjoy this comic and that in broad terms it's does a pretty good job of being fairly accurate.

However:
A young girl like that being a Perfecti is unlikely, even with women being allowed to take up the mantle, like most clergy, they're usually old.
She wouldn't live in the forest, the whole reason they even use Montaillou is because there is an entire book written about it based on the records of the inquisition from 1294 onwards, the Perfecti would live in the village, and was far from "pure", well known for indulging in woman and wine.
While we are on the Perfecti, why I know the writer either read the book or the wikipedia page is because he calls the bailiff of the town Clergue, this was the last name of both the priest and bailiff (Pierre and Bernard) who where the effective rulers of the town over 70 years later.
They where known to have come from a lineage of relatively wealthy peasants, but nowhere do we get any indication that their ancestors where already ruling the town.
Which makes it likely that the writer either added the Clergue bailiff as a nod to me and the 5 other people that have read this comic book and Montaillou or because he had a poor understanding of the source material he was working with.

Now, let's get to why Montaillou as a location doesn't make any fucking sense.
This is a tiny village, 70 years later it would barely hold 250 people, largely families of traveling goat herders and farmers, it is practically the definition of insignificant.
Not to mention that they managed to convince the papists that they where all proper catholics until the inquisition actually started.
The only reason you would use the town of Montaillou is because some people might recall the name, if it wasn't for the inquisition 7 decades later, noone would even remember it's name.

Now, on to our great villain, the Dominican monk.
In the entire inquisition of Montaillou only a single person was sentenced to death, and he died in jail (Pierre), the parts of town that actually got convicted of being Cathars mostly got off with some whipping or confiscation of goods, not a single person was actually burned at the stake.
Ofcourse for the fat, beady eyed monk, the first thing that pops in his head is "BURN IT", like any renaissance or romantic era writer would have you believe was the norm.
This guys musings are far more accurate then the writers of this comic where able to portray, if you're actually trying to save peoples souls, conversion is far preferable to death.

In the last page here the girl refers to her people as the Cathars, in Catholic France they where largely refered to as the Albiginesians (derived from the town of Albi, a much more well known Cathar stronghold) and the Cathars themselves didn't even have a very consistent name for themselves outside of variations on "the good people" or "the good christians", the exact occitan term escapes me, but I believe something along the lines of bonnehomme and bonnefamme like comic uses to refer to the perfecti girl.
On the same page she also seems to refer to the Consolamentum as a clearly seperate piece of scripture that Hugh doesn't recognize, where in reality the Consolamentum was a rite of cleansing that involved reading the same scripture the rest of the country should be familiar with, the entire New Testament or the Gospel of John in particular.
At the end she says a prayer for Hughes, here she refers to both the Holy Spirit and the Holy Father, the 2 Christian forms of God the Cathars explicitly did not believe in.

Now finally, they refer to the massacre of Beziers and Bram.
Beziers was a clusterfuck, where they where negotiating a peaceful solution when the defenders of Beziers came out and started attacking some smaller contingents of the army that wasn't even laying siege yet, they where eventually beaten back into town but small groups that got attacked emediatly followed them in and started massacring and looting. Most of these men where repremanded for attacking without orders and their loot taken from them once their superiors caught up to them.
I can't find much about what happened at Bram, but cutting out eyes, noses ears and lips sounds more like Game of Thrones then any kind of real history.

I would have probably also enjoyed this more if the artstyle wasn't so shit, all those red potato noses, like this was drawn by Pignose from PA.

Thanks for the history lesson, user.

F

I'm interested in knowing more about inquisitors, is there any good book that touch the subject that isn't leftist shit?

Just having the idea of an inquisitor going arround the christian world fighting demons, muslims and jews, then start converting people by torturing them, yet he also tortures himself so they both feel the same and the inquisitor can guide the poor soul into salvation.

Well, obviously this one pretty good en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montaillou_(book)
The head inquisitor, Jaqcues Fournier would eventually become pope and wanted all Cathar trials and notes carefully archived, which are what the book is based on, it also deals a lot with the Cathars themselves and their peculiar ways of life (notably the Transhumance, which was living while almost constantly traveling, usually with goat herds, or their peculiar understanding of the concept of a house, which the women usually owned).

Honestly, I don't know many other good books about the inquisition, I usually steer clear of the subject because of how heavily politicized it is.
That being said, we rewrite history all the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if we had some decent books by scholars who where at least trying to be objective by now.

Keep in mind though that even the bloodiest inquisitions (the Spanish for instance) only executed a couple thousand people and that the early ones where usually largely done by local clergy (like the one in Montaillou), if it's stories of blood, war and glory you want you're better off getting into the Crusades inside of Europe.

Thank you. And I was thinking mostly in detective or paranormal hunting stories. Looking for the heresy and fixing it. Maybe like a Dirty Harry, but for the Spanish Inquisition.

Another question. Were all inquisitors just monks? or could crusaders become inquisitors as, if I'm not wrong, they were mostly warrior monks serving the church?

Unfortunately most fantasy is far too pozzed to actually portray any of the various inquisitions in a positive, or even neutral light.
You could have a look at some names like Torquemada or Peter of Verona though, I've seen the former appear in Requiem (considering that takes place in hell though it's not exactly flattering).

Crusaders where not monks though, besides the occasional statistical outlier, usually just men following their lord who felt called by the Popes pleas, you might be confusing it with the Knights Hospitalers or the Knight of Malta, that where considered monastic orders (forcing celebacy and such).

You did have to be ordained as a priest to become an inquisitor though, at least every inquisitor I've ever read about was a priest before he was usually called upon by the pope, king or bishop to lead an inquisition.
Most of them also had roots in the Dominican Order in particular, at least the comic got that right.

Yeah, I know about Torquemada a little, vilified because he burned jews or some shit like that. Being spanish is suffering, having to be 'ashamed' of your history, but at least we are not germans.
I know that inquisitors had to be priests at least, but wondering if some of them could have military experience or they all are little fat pigs like most high corrupt priests.

Thanks for the storytime OP, but WHY DID NOBODY USE THEIR FUCKING SHIELDS? THERE'S ONE INSTANCE OF A SHIELD BEING USED AND HE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE IT ON HIS ARM THE FRAME BEFORE

But there's nothing gay about brotherly love OP.

BECAUSE DRAMA

Do you usually kiss your brothers on the edges of their mouths?

You do to your siblins or people you REALLY are close with in the south of europe. It doesn't need to be gay, just incredibly fraternal love.

Europe is fuckin gay

>Not showing your brotherly love to your people, not even being afraid of saying you love them

What are you? a homo?

I'm a shut in, user. I don't show love to anyone. Because I have no one to show love to.

you dont love us, user?
because I love you
no homo

I love you too, user.
No homo.
Just crusadible love.

Y-you too…

hi

Don't feel too bad about Torquemada, consider how big of a clusterfuck Spain would be now if he didn't convert all those heathens.
As far as body count goes, most likely somewhere south of 2000, which means he barely even registers on the scale of mass murderers.
Fun fact, his parents where Jews that converted to Christianity, so if you dislike him you're basically an antisemite.

A obligatory pure redhead grill user.
She is a pure wifu and I would ascend heaven for her

Wasnt too bad

I was expecting a ripley xeno version inside that ship and a little bit of /ss/, but I guess it was a short and contained story

You're thinking with your dick and not your mind, not every thing revolves around your fetish.

The fuck is going on here?

Brotherly bonding and history lessons.

Nothing wrong with xeno /ss/, best way to boost sales.

Thanks user

bump

Why?

because

because why?

not them, but to save from certain death