I always here about how shows like the Simpsons have run too long and way past their prime...

I always here about how shows like the Simpsons have run too long and way past their prime, or shows like Megas XLR got canceled early on. Can we instead talk about shows that ended when they needed to? (or close to it)
Ed Edd n Eddy comes to mind for me. The last season in school wasn't as good as the summer episodes, but they weren't bad. Instead of continuing the show in the new setting, Danny Antonucci decided to retire the show after 10 years with a final movie. Sure, they probably could have ended the school year and gone back to summer, but it was nice the show got an official ending without having to run itself into the ground first.
or we can just talk about Ed Edd n Eddy for the last month of summer

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/EYExsqh
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Man, I remember when they started running ads before it came out. Oh how time flies.
It ended on a good note. I honestly can't think of any other show I can say that about.

Would stories with a continuous overarching narrative be cheating to count?

Nah, that's hard mode.

Almost

in that case

there was a third season planned before an exec decided he had to find a way to further lose touch with the audience, but the show had 52 eps, told an excellent war story, and ended on a generally good note except that the last episode introduced a new faction fucking shit up in anticipation of continuing the grand space opera

While I would have loved a second season, most of the plot points and mysteries were solved and the hero rode into the sunset at the end so it did have a satisfying ending.

Forgot to mention this show, which did have a conclusive ending. Though both of them had an over-arching plot so it's still easy mode.

Seeing these, is like remembering a repressed memory

the movie was so good and surprisingly emotional.

even with that bit the ending still satisfied me.

Roswell Conspiracies: Aliens, Myths and Legends. A single season of 40 episodes, with a myth arc and connecting episodes. Self contained and had a conclusive ending. Only watched it this year and I have to say it's possibly one of the most underappreciated 90's cartoons and proves you can make a good self contained story animated series.

ReBoot season 3 ending is an interesting one. That was a great ending and as a kid I thought that was it, series over. I didn't know until late 2007 that a short 4th season had been made in the early 2000's with a story based off a threat from season 3 (Daemon) and minor details first mentioned in season 2 for the 2nd half of season 4.
Kim Possible ended on a high note with it's originally intended final (now 3rd) season movie (So the Drama), but then got a 4th season that continued on from 3rd season's intended big finale with the character development.

Fully agree with this, I was nervous of watching a series that didn't get another season, but it's ending was good and satisfying without being a shitty cliffhanger (more writers need to learn this).
I wish more people would watch Chris Colorado. It's dense story and world building feels like something that should have been made in (European) comic form but somehow got an animated series instead, I don't think any NA company would have green lit this series.

Also wonderful.

I think this is the show's greatest flaw. You can tell that they had a lot of lore, word-building and character development planned, but because it had a 20 minute format they both had to rush the pacing and maybe cut a few things(I am sure they planned to present Thanos' ideology and his books in a lot more detail and what the political parties did, before the impact), there are certain moments where the dialog goes extremely fast, to have room for either more action or more lore. By fast, I am not saying that they were talking fast, but that the conversations were short, fast-paced and the characters immediately accepted the things being said, without reflecting on what was said. Had it been a 40 minute per episode show(even if they had to film it) it would have been much better.

It's a shame they decided to bring it back as a live action series.

How about comics? While the last 6 numbered issues were pretty crap (I did like the idea of old Toru showing up, a pity Marvel swept that bit under the rug when they realized he was supposed to be dead), everything up to that was great and the Holiday Special is a pretty good wrapup for the series that returns the character's powers to their first/most iconic, undoes the stupid parts of the last 6 issues and finishes up a bunch of character arcs.

KND had six seasons, a movie, and a crossover special. The creator has been trying to get a sequel series off the ground, but if it doesn't get made, I'll still be satisfied with what we got.

I'd say Invader Zim.

The show was starting to poke fun at itself, and who knows whether the whole Invader Dib arc would have been any good.

Seriously? How bad is it?

You be the judge.

BLASPHEMY

Have you any idea how many episodes were left unfinished before its abrupt and unjust cancellation?? They had to squeeze Minimoose into the Christmas special because they never got the opportunity to actually finish Minimoose's debut episode, Nubs of Doom.

The Invader Dib thing wasn't an "arc", either. It was the rumored title of a TV movie series finale that presumably tied together several unresolved arcs in the series, i.e. Tak's ship, the war on Meekrob, the Resisty, etc.

And you call yourself a fan. THE FUCKING CHEEK OF IT

You're both wrong

That was the writers subtly shilling the comic. Not mattering that the you would have to sit through a whole bunch of useless story fluff before that thread payed off. Stupid things like Toph starting an earthbending school and having to compete with a rival school, or Aang getting pissed because a bunch of hippies larping as Air Nomads moved into the ruins of his civilization. A lot of fluff before the arc of "find Zuko's mom" starts.

But the comic came out 6 years after the show had ended.

What do you take me for, you inferior human stink-beast?

Why can't we get a complete set of this show released? If they added the Japanese dub it would make a fucking mint.

Wow the dubbing is bad. The lips don't match up with the dialogue.

why?

On episode 20 now.
Just wish I coulda gotten my hands on the french dub.

If only all shows could end at just the right moment with a good finale.

If only Pirates of Dark Water had a proper conclusion…

Its actually really good, almost perfect lie the English dub.

The dub is just very well produced. Almost all the characters sound just as Danny Antonucci intended.

I feel cheated that it never got released nor ever got a proper buildup. I would kill to see an enjoyable, actiony war/fight scene in invader zim, especially for a finale.

Why does Jimmy sound like a girl?

That's a thing there, just like how Plankton sounds like a girl because he's small.

Wow its weird how similar they sound to the american voices. The only one that bugs me is Johnny's voice.

I remember seeing the teaser on some old Scooby Doo VHS back in 1999, they weren't even the final designs.

discord.gg/EYExsqh

Xyber 9: New Dawn. Finished watching this recently and was surprised to see it actually has a conclusive ending and no bullshit cliffhanger or sequel hooks (which I expected), it's just a single season of 22 episodes.

The biggest negative of the series is the lack of integration of 3D CGI vehicles and 2D characters, other then that it's a pretty nice series with villians voiced by Tim Curry and the late Tony Jay (Megabyte from ReBoot).

They surely nailed plank's voice.

You still have to go back.

What a bizarre fate.

Yep.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Metacolypse.

Brendon wanted to do one last Metalocalypse season but [as] killed it, would have liked to see it. Strong agree on athf

At what point did they change?

Wow, that's crazy accurate to the original intent. This Japanese dub is flattery while English dubs of Japanese media are most often an insult.

Season 4th if I bad remember, he got hired around the year 2000.