So Gene Wilder died recently and it got me thinking; wasn't Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory basically a story...

So Gene Wilder died recently and it got me thinking; wasn't Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory basically a story about a crazy porky capitalist terrorizing children?

He also kidnapped an indigenous tribe to work in his factory and paid them in beans.

Complete disregard for health and safety too

It was V O L U N T A R Y

Don't forget experimenting on them too.

I think in the book, he actually gets them to sign a contract so there's not shit they can do about it too.

I'm depressed that more people know him as Willy Wonka than from his roles in Mel Brooks films. I blame that stupid fucking meme

I think I remember that from the Wilder movie too

IIRC in the book all the kids turn out okay (more or less) and learn valuable life lessons about not being greedy little shits.

I think you mean RESCUED because the Oompa Loompas were being hunted to near extinction by the vicious predators of their thirdworld shithole.

Capitalist how?

Wonka actually worked alongside the Oompas, though. He was the chief designer and oversought pretty much everything the factory made. Plus the Oompas seemed pretty content, with all their singing and dancing.

Oompa-loompa-doompity-da is hardly a negro spiritual.

I dunno seems pretty close to bix nood muhfugga

It's pro-porky propaganda.

Everytime this kind of shit gets posted on facebook die a little

rip

Blazing saddles was pure gold

Stop insulting Oompa Loompa culture, you racist shit.

Your oompa loompa micro-aggressions aren't helping the cause, comrade.

I kek'd

FUCKING NOMRIES!

Rhinoceros wasn't very good imo.

True. But it's the most lefty thing he did.

It isn't?

I haven't reminded myself of their struggle since I read the book about 15 years ago, but didn't Willy Wonka ban Oompa Lumpas from leaving the factory after some recipes got leaked? I don't remember this being approved by the union.

Given that he has an entirely foreign workforce who have no way to spend their earnings (if they make any) in the local economy, I'd be interested the mechanisms through which money can re-enter the local economy…