Over the Garden Wall ended 4 years ago

>Meanwhile you will get CalArts/CGI ugly and lifeless shit in mass for years in TV/ Net and Cinema, and will be appraised for a long time by the (((critics and experts))).

JUUUUUUUUUUUST

Is there anything similar like this, or related to it? Or could we talk about OtGW?

This is my second favorite Elija Wood performance. It's one of the most memorable shows in the past ten years for me.

It's a gem for sure that can't easily be recreated. Oh wait it can. Just have to have people with passion and creativity not afraid to scare kids a little. To keep politics out of entertainment. But it won't happen. Not yet. Not for some time.

Fuck, has it really been that long?

Yep

So what's your favorite?

I swore it was longer

It feels longer.

At least it ended before it was ruined.

One could wish.

It's pretty obvious

It was good in the beginning but the the story as a whole was meh, and the ending wasn't that good but that'd mostly because on ever creepypasta motherfucker did a coma theory to every cartoon, show or game, even if the theory didn't fit at all.

JUST
ur gay

I wonder (((who))) could be behind this post.

The first Sin City movie was legitimately pretty fucking good.
Second one was okay I guess.

ur mom who hate you for miss using a meme and ruined like a redditor.

never watched this and never going to

Watch it faggot. You will not be dissapointed.

no thanks

I thought the same thing too until I saw it out of boredom and realized the fans were just faggots. The art style is an eyesore with the human characters but works with the animals. The voice acting and songs are probably the only reason to watch it. I would recommend only watching it up to ep 8.

IMO the ending could be notably better, but it was still good. Everything else you said is spot on.

How would you have made it better?

Just saying that could be better. Perhaps it would have been somewhat darker, or at least a little more worked/less rushed (althought for being done in a 10-minute episode, it wasnt mediocre).

No it was a bit meh with whole story faggot

It was perfect

Not so.
The sudden change to modern times and forcing a bunch of pre-teen drama/romance onto the audience was a step down.
Sure, it explained everything perfectly, but it was still a giant change that threw you off.

Also, the art style looked nice in The Great Unknown, but translating it to the 90s was less charming and made it look like lots of similar CalArts artstyles.
I suppose that's not a surprise, as Patrick McHale was from CalArts and from the same class as the other fuckers in CN right now. At least he bothered to do something new and interesting with it.

To play devil's advocate here, the whole story is a trial by fire for Wirt. A trial by fire story usually involves a young, immature, maybe scaredy cat guy who goes through all sorts of trials and finally becomes a man. Many stories involve the trial by fire, a good example being Luke Skywalker from Star Wars. Now another part of growing up is to mature emotionally as well as physically and mentally. Wirt's biggest problem was that he couldn't say "I love you" to the girl he loved, by almost dieing and entering Purgatory, he learns how to control his emotions, such as his temper(he always lost it whenever his brother did something stupid) and fear(he was afraid of many things in that world like the pumpkin king, the woodcutter and the Beast at first), he learns to man-up and do what is right, he also learns to take responsibility for his actions and the actions of his brother, remember in the first episode where he blames the brother for the destruction of the mill and the woodcutter tells him that it's his responsibility what his little brother does so it's Wirt's fault. After, courageously facing and defeating the Beast, he and his brother leave purgatory and go back to the world of the living, where he finally confesses his love to the girl he loves, well in his own way at least. He doesn't say I love you, but we, the audience, know that they are going to become a couple.

It still came out of nowhere with very little foreshadowing.
The most information we knew about his life outside of the Great Unknown was Sara and the weird guy's name, and that Wirt had a crush on Sara.

I'm fully aware of how the story progressed to get to that point, but I'm saying that the change in setting was off-field.

To use your example, take Star Wars, have Luke get all the way up to The Emperor, then as the Emperor is defeated, the world fades around him and he is in 2017 after falling asleep during a B-movie sci-fi marathon.
He still learns all the things Yoda and Obi-Wan taught him, and he can have a better relationship with his father/teacher/sister, but the entirety of the world you just experienced for years (Luke's time) didn't exist.

Now, OTGW does hint that The Great Unknown still exists, but it's the same principle.

I do admit that when I first saw the episode with him in the real/living world, it was jarring, and if they had more time(say 12-15 minutes per episode) maybe they could have left more hints or done other things differently or something else, but they did well with what they had, 10 minute episodes. However, it's not really, protagonist falls asleep, has an awesome dream, wakes up and the movie ends, this is, Wirt falling in to river and drowning, basically at the bring of death. His visit in Purgatory, or the Great Unknown as you call it, is not just a dream, or for him to learn a simple lesson, it's an inner battle for survival, and only after he had defeated the Beast(a representation of death) did he manage to escape Purgatory and save not only his life, but his brother's which almost died in that Purgatory. The bitter coldness of the snow could be considered a metaphor for the cold water they were in or for the cold embrace of death.
To continue with the Luke Skywalker parable, it would be the story of Luke driving to the cinema, and on his way there, he accidental falls with the car in the lake, then the movie starts but maybe with a more aquatic theme(say there are fish in space or something like that) and only after he defeats the Emperor, does he wake up, escape the car and survives. Again, it's not just a dream, it's a spiritual and metaphysical fight for survival. Hell I could even say that the Dark Side was death, and if he had joined it, he would have died, or that his father is long dead, and Darth Vader is his father's soul and Palpatine is Death/Grim Reaper, but I digress.
Lastly, it's not just hinted that the other world existed, it's flat out stated, since we do see the frog's belly lighting up, because it swallowed the bell in episode 7 or 8(?) and we do see what happened to all the characters Wirt interacted with. It clearly wasn't just a dream.

Actually the story with Luke and the car, isn't exactly right. It would be more like, he argued a lot with someone, and is tormented with guilt, he jumps in the car to try and escape his thoughts/responsibilities, but falls in the river and after he escapes, he accepts what he has done and is ready to forgive/turn a new leaf, because of what Yoda, Obi-Wan and his confrontation with Darth Vader taught him.

Bump

If only Wirt didn't end up with worst girl.

Also, the show has aged pretty well. It definitely has its low points, but it's better than anything on CN today.

Beatrice and Lorna may very well be lost souls in the limbo plane that is The Unknown. So it's unlikely he could've realistically had anything to do with them after leaving it.

It's a real modern classic for sure.

The art is shit, I'll give you that but it's actually pretty good
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:58e1c07b8da6ea52f7fc868b59381cdbb513879f&dn=Over+the+Garden+Wall+720p+complete+10+Episodes&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

Necrophilia, or a nigger.
Which is worse?

Well it's not so bad if it's a ghost instead of a limbo zombie.

I've never seen this one. I kinda avoided CN after YJ and GL was cancelled. I really, really liked the GL series. Steven Universe and PPG was the last nail in the coffin.

Is this show really that good? Seeing nothing but positive comments. Hopefully its on one of the big three. kisscartoon fucking sucks.

Yeah it's good. Watch it. Preferably on kimcartoon.

(checked)
OTGW was the last thing I watched on CN other than the odd episode of Adventure Time.
I had fun watching it and would recommend it to anyone who likes quality cartoons. this is my opinion, of course.

At this point, this would be hard to find in the entertainment industry let alone in cartoons. I hope it happens again, but there's no telling when it could be.

user, kisscartoon is ded, all that's left are chink ripoffs under the same name.

I think the big issue is he had a lot of chemistry and character growth with Beatrice, meanwhile the black chick was just sort of there at the end.

That's true. You had to realize that she was the ultimate end goal all along at the end though.

I was skeptical too but for a mini-series, it's worth the time to warch it. Nice mood overall. Definitely the most spooky thing CN made in years.

His role in Wilfred

When did this come to pass?

a few months ago

Well shit