Beware The Batman

I can't be the only one that actually kinda liked this show, right?

The action was really solid for the most part, Anthony Ruivivar's Batman is probably the only incarnation of Batman that actually feels like a detective instead of a general smart guy, even Alfred was pretty cool. Admittedly, some of the villains were pretty shit (fuck whatever they did to Humpty Dumpty and Anarky), Katana was barely bearable and Barbara needed to go die in a fire, but it wasn't half bad. Pity it got canceled so soon.

I liked it too. Besides the first episode, the detectiveness Batman has is on-point and the stuff with Alfred was great. Also, I'm probably more forgiving of Katana and Barbara. They weren't that bad.

Anarky was terrible, however.

Alfred was nice, but I didn't like how both of the arcs tied back to his past. Between Anarky, Two-Face, and pic related's foreshadowing, I hope they were going in another direction for the season two that never was.

That triggers my autism.

Good thing it's a police sketch by an incompetent strike force led by a corrupt DA.

I think half of my dislike for Barbara came from her being characterized as a Tumblr-tier geek girl, plus being voice by that annoying kike Tara Strong.

Anarky's knock-off Joker portrayal was godawful and they didn't even have the excuse of the comic characterization being too edgy for a kid's show like they did with Pyg and Toad or even Humpty Dumpty to an extent.

Yeah, Alfred's past almost became a plot device whenever they needed some shady bad stuff going on that indirectly tied into Bruce's history. Him leaving Bruce at the beginning of the second half of the season was pretty stupid, especially the flimsy justification they gave for it.

I also felt like Deathstroke's part in the story felt a bit contrived and would've worked better with an actual anti-Batman like Wrath or Prometheus, but I wasn't too surprised by it when you consider how Murakami characterized Deathstroke in Teen Titans as an Evil-Batman-esque mentor to Robin.

Penguin has a right eye for his monocle?

It had a bit of a rough start but started improving. I think it probably would have been better received if they hadn't used CG.

Yes, his right eye. It's something people have been screwing up since the late nineties when DC stopped having a continuity czars and editors stopped correcting mistakes.

It's infuriating because there's a classic Batman story where The Penguin switches his monocle to his left eye to mess with Batman.

I read that they originally wanted to do Hush before they settled in on a "similar" villain. Considering they had to change Deathstroke's backstory to be an anti-Batman, it's kind of weird. Were they forced to push Deathstroke for corporate synergy or something?

Also, Deathstroke in Beware is interesting when compared to TT Slade. One is angry at having a father figure stolen by Batman, the other tries to steal a son figure from him.

There was a push for CGI Batman from WB Animation. There were other pitches for Batman shows that were all going to be CGI, including James Tucker's No Man's Land pitch, which Tucker was later grateful they didn't do because of that reason.

Probably. DC has been trying to make Deathstroke a thing for awhile now. Despite his best animated appearance was Slade in Teen Titans.

To be fair, when Wolfman and Perez first created Deathstroke, they basically designed him as an Evil Batman. He was rich and had a butler confidante just like Bruce and everything.

The second season looked like it was going to be a lot better, so it's a shame that it got cancelled before we got to see how it turned out. I didn't like the way they did Dent's pre-accident personality, though I appreciate the full season's worth of build up.

I remember liking the way it showed how important Alfred is to Batman by making him become unstable in his absence. It's been a while since I've seen it though, so maybe it was dumber than I thought.

I think the characters looked fine but the environments were usually too plain or bare.

It was fine when it was used, since it was established early on. We've also never really seen Bruce deal with Alfred's prolonged absence. However, the way it was resolved was weak. He just puts on the suit and gets over it. That's it.

I just remembered that was the resolution to Batman going psycho over Alfred's absence and then being afraid of being pushed over the edge.

Kinda weird that he never really got over it. It's realistic since that stuff is hard to overcome, but it just looked like he was delaying the problem.

A problem with using CG is making new assets is costly and time consuming so they start out with so few different models. The city ends up looking devoid of human life asides from like ten people.

Most likely not; but just in case, kill yourself.

The show's characterization of Batman is basically constantly yelling how smart he is while he make numerous retarded and immoral decisions.

Out of all of the animated Batman, BtB's Batman is the least Batman Batman; the least moral, the least intelligent, and the most tolerant of criminal behavior. He had the bright idea to give the Legion of Assassins the Soul-Taker Sword. Not only is it incredibly immoral but it is absolutely retarded. Also why does Batman refer to a criminal that put innocent people into death traps honorable when he decided to let those hostages go when his plan failed?

IT wont be missed

You know you've fucked up when you made a Batman cartoon so inessential, Cartoon Network treats it like any other DC show

Not really the show's fault that Stu Snyder is a retard. JLA is still treated like shit, but st least it's still on CN and has a toyline.

Tell me more, user, so I can cry myself to sleep.

Aren't all of the rogues in Beware The Batman "similar" villains? Like they're just copies of other, more popular villains?

I imagine it was to make it stand out from the millions of other Batman shows

Technically, only Anarky is a straight up copy. Everyone else has enough nuances and traits to make then stand out by themselves.

Didn't it get cancelled.

Not officially, but again, at least it has merch and it already has more episodes than the last few DC shows that aren't TTGo, both because they're split in 11 minute episodes and because they also have a series of shorts.

That place stroke me as random as hell when it first showed up. I was genuinely surprised when it came back, with a backstory and everything.

What about Magpie? She's basically a more psychotic Catwoman.

The only thing I liked about Beware the Batman was that Batman was a good detective but still flawed and needed help. Not many shows nowadays show Batman as flawed. The rest of it was crap and I hated what they did to Deathstroke.

I hated what they did to Anarky and felt Lady Shiva was pretty under powered.

Yeah but weren't there other "evil versions of Batman" like Prometheus,even Bane was supposed to be like an evil Batman right?

I honestly thought they were combinations of more popular batman villains. Anarky is a mix of Riddler and Joker due to his insanity like Joker and planning out complex plans like Riddler. Professor Pyg is like a mix of Poison Ivy and Mad Hatter. He has an environmental reason for his schemes yet has this gimmick with old school English literature like Mad Hatter does with Alice in Wonderland, Pyg has his with Wind in the Willows.

I can see that. Though I haven't read her in the comics so I don't know if the sexy multiple personality disorder is part of the character.

Killer Moth is the be-all end-all evil Batman. He protects criminals and has his own Moth signal that only he can see.

Killer Moth is also the only evil Batman to temporarily become Batman.

Not really. Magpie was actually as crazy and murderous as most of Batman's usual rogues. She also isn't pragmatic like Catwoman is. Selina steals to maintain her lifestyle and for fun, while Magpie is nuts and only steals because it satisfies her insanity. Not to mention the fact that Batman DOES NOT return her feelings and pities her instead.

Not to mention she's literally the comics Magpie, but with a brief crush on Batman and a new backstory involving her attempts to reform and her multiple personality stuff.

Didn't know that. Shame that he's now a joke villain.

It was a good enough show.
I hated it being in CGI, as they just copy-pasted everything. The entire city of Gotham was just the same 4 buildings in a row, and for some reason, everything was incredibly dark which made it dull to watch. They couldn't even be fucked to put in some simple street lamps to do something fun with light and shadow.

Batman actually doing detective work was a surprise, as they skip/neglect that for the vast majority of Batman media, even the current comics. He's currently just sent in to do martial arts and whack people with bullshit plot armour while Ra's al Ghul screeches "DETECTIVE" at him.

Ironically, Ra's never once calls Batman "detective" in this show.

That's one hell of an impressive residence for so few occupants and I think it's even bigger than past Wayne Manor's. The waterfall built into the swimming pool is a nice touch. It's probably a secret exit for the Bat Wing right?

If you ever watched Green Larntern:TAS they basically went to every single planet at least twice because of this (not a bad thing though, that series got it work out well).

Even ReBoot back in the 90's worked with that by being primary set in city of Mainframe (that took like 8 months to make for the first episode), with mostly once an episode travel to different "game" worlds for small new temporary settings. And then thanks to those existing CG assets in place they could then make new epsiodes even faster (like 1 a month).
There's even an episode midway in Season 3's "Net" arc that had to be set in Mainframe due to financial constants on making new assets. (Don't worry, it makes story sense if you seen it).

Secret Life of the Catwoman, Batman #62, December 1950.

Batman's Double, Detective Comics #173, July 1951. Killer Moth, after losing his previous alias, kidnaps Bruce Wayne and assumes his identity. He discovers that Bruce Wayne is Batman and becomes both Batman and Killer Moth.

Okay, but that's a very obscure comic dealing with an aspect that isn't typically associated with Catwoman. It's a stretch.

Know the name?

Check the post I'm replying to.

It's collected in the Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told, mate, and it's the origin of her real name, Selina Kyle.

It's probably the most important story in Catwoman's entire history.

Yet Catwoman having split personality disorder has not carried over to her modern incarnation, movies, cartoons, video games, etc. The point still stands.

Don't tell me you haven't seen Batman Returns.

That's not split personality. She was metaphorically reborn as a different person.

Just because she was crazy doesn't mean she had DID.

Also, that's the only crazy version of Catwoman. Most of the time, she's pragmatic and sane.

Not much to tell. It was pitched, supposed to be CGI, and every suit but one liked it. The one that didn't thought it was "too dark", so it was turned down. Tucker was later grateful because he thought CGI in No Man's Land would've been painful to do.

That's what multiple personalities are.

While I agree with his reasoning, I'm still disappointed. James Tucker is my favorite Batman director/writer and No-Man's Land is my favorite Batman event. Combining them would've made one hell of a ride.

It hurts.

We're discussing split personalities. As in, two or more trying to take control of the body. That's not the same as Selina just becoming Catwoman and that's it.

But go ahead. Keep moving goalposts.

You're discussing things you clearly don't understand. You probably think multiple personalities are cartoonishly dramatic in their differences. Most likely your "knowledge" of the subject comes entirely through pop culture depictions.

That doesn't change the fact that having a change in attitude is not "multiple personalities".

that would've been awesome.

I never understood the appeal of Cassandra Cain. Does she even have anything besides being stupidly OP on purpose?

Autistic kung fu Bat-Gimp BEST GRIL fite me cunt

Considering her mom looks more Hindu (like her namesake), would that mean Cass would've been as well?(LADY SHIVA IS CHINESE, CASUAL)

Her mom is very very very blatantly asian.

>Lady Shiva

WELCOME TO SUMMER, MOTHERFUCKER.

Even Nips get it wrong

Shit, meant to reply to

She's potrayed more like a ninja than a samurai. You might be thinking of Katana.

user made a point that she's not Chinese in BtB, though he botched it by saying she's Hindu (which isn't a race).

That's a sad attempt to appear as funny, mod.

She's still Chinese. Even in this version.

There's no Batwing in the show. Only the Batmobile and Batcycle.

This show in general didn't have much toyetic stuff apart of the glider.

Is it me or does some of the aesthetic of the show remind anyone of the Nolan films?

How most stuff is practical and less theatric? Yeah. But I do get some 70's vibe from some of the buildings, interior art, and civilians.

Regarding the whole Deathstroke as the anti-Batman thing, a lot of the villains are foils to the heroes. Deathstroke is a corrupted version of the son figure Alfred could've had. Anarky opposes Batman's thirst for order with chaos. Magpie is the loss of identity that happens when Bruce cannot separate between Bruce and Batman's personae. Pyg and Toad are twisted caricatures of Bruce Wayne's philanthropy. Humpty Dumpty is his desire for justice turned into revenge. Killer Croc is Batman's own animalistic rage left unchecked, despite Croc's own charisma, and so on.

Even some of the villains contrast the other heroes. Ra's al Ghul wants to act like an evil mentor figure to Batman and Katana versus Alfred's influence on them. Silver Monkey values honor, while Katana is more pragmatic, which is a subversion of the hero being more honor-bound. Even Harvey Dent's fate is a warning tale to Gordon if he had become consumed with his persecution of Batman and had less altruistic reasons for it.